Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dontari Poe scheduled to visit

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If his parameters are only a one year deal why bring him in to negotiate?  That could easily be done over the phone and once you hit his number bring him in to sign.  I could see a one year deal as a fallback if a multiple deal cannot be reached.  I think they are working on a multiple year deal. 

I think so too.

But I think it's 2 or 3 years and not 5.

I'm fine with 2 or 3 years.  

But I'm not OK with anything longer.

9 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I'm pretty sure half the posts in this thread are something to the tune of "I trust Ballard to know firsthand if Poe's back is an issue, etc. etc." 

We get it people. You can connect the dots between Ballard being a Chiefs front office guy and Poe being an ex-player.... christ. lol

I really hope you're right NCF but I got a bad feeling about this. Hopefully Ballard doesn't make that mistake. I'd be happy with a 2-3 year deal. Usually good DTs continue being good into their 30's so we'll get a good look at how he holds up over 3 years and make the determination from there. 

I've posted the same thing about Ballard.     He should know Ballard depth.

The only reason for all my posts is to calm down those who think we're giving Poe a 5-year deal at more than 10 Mill per with a big guarantee.     I don't see that happening.

I'd like the Colts to sign Poe if he's healthy.      I'll take a deal for 1 or 2 or 3 years,  but not more.

And yes,   I do trust Ballard. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think so too.

But I think it's 2 or 3 years and not 5.

I'm fine with 2 or 3 years.  

But I'm not OK with anything longer.

I have been thinking 3 all along but his last contract was 4 so we might have to go there. Not the end of the world.   I would trust them to make it a good deal for both sides.  I think Ballard knows what he's doing. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I've posted the same thing about Ballard.     He should know Ballard depth.

The only reason for all my posts is to calm down those who think we're giving Poe a 5-year deal at more than 10 Mill per with a big guarantee.     I don't see that happening.

I'd like the Colts to sign Poe if he's healthy.      I'll take a deal for 1 or 2 or 3 years,  but not more.

And yes,   I do trust Ballard. 

I wasn't referring to you with that part of my reply. Just the other people who keep repeating the same thing as if no else can read the other 50 replies stating the same reasoning. I trust Ballard too and think he will at the very least make our defense look competent with talent alone next year. It's up to Monachino to coach their level of play up 

I'm trying to settle into the idea of signing Poe. I'm finding it hard to do. Hankins and Logan are still available, that might be why. Neither of them have the injury history Poe does, and I think they're both better pass rushers. (Hard to believe, but our OL did a pretty good job against Poe in 2016.) Poe is definitely good, so I wouldn't complain about adding him, assuming the contract isn't outrageous.

Poe reportedly wants a one year deal, presumably because he's seen the early offers in free agency and isn't impressed. The Colts are willing to do a long term deal, but I assume they aren't going to get crazy. If it were up to me to determine the contract for Poe, here's what I would present.

Two year contract, $22m. Guaranteeing $10m in Year 1 ($5m roster bonus), with incentives that can take it to $11m (Pro Bowl, All Pro, sacks). Year 2 is $11m, non guaranteed. Here's the catch: Year 2 is a player option, and it would have to be exercised by the first day of the new league year. If Poe declines the option, he becomes a UFA, and he cannot be tagged. So if he has a great year, he can hit the market again right away. If he doesn't have a great year and isn't sure of his market, he can opt in to Year 2, but it's not guaranteed unless he's on the roster Week 1 of the regular season. If he does hit free agency and leaves, the Colts would be eligible for a comp pick. And in any event, both sides could agree to new terms prior to the new league year. 

In this way, neither side has to commit long term, both sides get some flexibility, and if they part ways, it's what both sides wanted. It also incentives Poe to have a great season -- not just for pay incentives, but to have another shot at free agency while he's still in his mid 20s and after a great year. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm trying to settle into the idea of signing Poe. I'm finding it hard to do. Hankins and Logan are still available, that might be why. Neither of them have the injury history Poe does, and I think they're both better pass rushers. (Hard to believe, but our OL did a pretty good job against Poe in 2016.) Poe is definitely good, so I wouldn't complain about adding him, assuming the contract isn't outrageous.

Poe reportedly wants a one year deal, presumably because he's seen the early offers in free agency and isn't impressed. The Colts are willing to do a long term deal, but I assume they aren't going to get crazy. If it were up to me to determine the contract for Poe, here's what I would present.

Two year contract, $22m. Guaranteeing $10m in Year 1 ($5m roster bonus), with incentives that can take it to $11m (Pro Bowl, All Pro, sacks). Year 2 is $11m, non guaranteed. Here's the catch: Year 2 is a player option, and it would have to be exercised by the first day of the new league year. If Poe declines the option, he becomes a UFA, and he cannot be tagged. So if he has a great year, he can hit the market again right away. If he doesn't have a great year and isn't sure of his market, he can opt in to Year 2, but it's not guaranteed unless he's on the roster Week 1 of the regular season. If he does hit free agency and leaves, the Colts would be eligible for a comp pick. And in any event, both sides could agree to new terms prior to the new league year. 

In this way, neither side has to commit long term, both sides get some flexibility, and if they part ways, it's what both sides wanted. It also incentives Poe to have a great season -- not just for pay incentives, but to have another shot at free agency while he's still in his mid 20s and after a great year. 

Love it!      :thmup:

Thoughtful as always!   

Just what I was hoping to read.      I've been hoping you'd come along and drop some knowledge into this thread.   

Many, many thanks!              :colts:

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

From the Colts perspective I'm not sure why you'd do this.  If he plays well, he opts out and you can't tag him. If he plays poorly, you cut him and lose all compensatory value. I see it as a much worse option than a 1 year deal. 

Just now, wig said:

From the Colts perspective I'm not sure why you'd do this.  If he plays well, he opts out and you can't tag him. If he plays poorly, you cut him and lose all compensatory value. I see it as a much worse option than a 1 year deal. 

If he has a great year and plans to opt out, you still have a month between the end of the season and the start of free agency to sign him to a new deal. If he plays poorly and you cut him, it's just the same as cutting any player after a bad year.

And of course, there's the in between -- he plays pretty well, good enough to keep him, not good enough for him to go back to free agency -- and you have a second year with him. The conclusion of that second year gets treated like the end of any free agent deal, and the team would still have tag rights and still be in line for a comp pick if he leaves. 

I have some reservations about Poe. The reported back issue is concerning. So is his production drop off in 15/16 compared to 13/14.

However, I do believe he can improve the defense as much as any free agent this year. I also don't think that giving Poe a 3 year deal (as an example) will handcuff the team too much. There are not a ton of players due for a major extension soon. They can take a gamble on Poe and not lose much roster/cap flexibility over the next couple of years.