Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoDeep

Dontari Poe scheduled to visit

3 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

I agree. The market for top NTs is 10-12 mil. I think he wants the 1 year contract to show he can play like an all pro 3 tech and get that 15 mil.

Hopefully they can find some middle ground .

2 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Patty Mac tweeting about it too

Pretty awesome how even though Patty Mac retired yes still gonna be a huge fan of the colts

20 minutes ago, a06cc said:

5 yr 72mil?

I could live on that.  Probably have to cut down on Starbucks, but I'd take one for the team.

4 minutes ago, twfish said:

Pretty awesome how even though Patty Mac retired yes still gonna be a huge fan of the colts

A fan AND a recruiter. :D

this reminds me of the Andre Johnson saga, waited for hours to hear anything.... hope this turns out much better

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

this reminds me of the Andre Johnson saga, waited for hours to hear anything.... hope this turns out much better

the difference is poe isnt past his prime

Trying to remember when the last time the Colts had a NT that had been to 2 Pro-Bowls or that caliber of player?  McFarland?

Just now, AZColt11 said:

Trying to remember when the last time the Colts had a NT that had been to 2 Pro-Bowls or that caliber of player?  McFarland?

are you forgetting the great eric foster and keyanta dawson combination haha

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Probably 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

are you forgetting the great eric foster and keyanta dawson combination haha

Apparently I had, or perhaps slept through it.  My bad.  :thmup:

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

ESPN NFL Insider Josina Anderson reported that owner Jim Irsay may send his private jet to pick up Poe. If so, Irsay likely doesn't plan to have the defensive lineman leave Indianapolis without completing a deal.

Considering the amount of money and risk involved, I was wondering if Irsay would have to approve the deal.

Now I know.

15 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Booger.

Before that we have to go all the way back to the Goose, and that was before he became a household name.  

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

Why? He's a nose tackle. No nose tackle in the league is paid more than 12 per year.

Brandon Williams who is arguably better than Poe just got a 5 year 54M deal. We will not give Poe more than that IMO(or very close to that)

Prepare to be shocked then.  If not us then somebody else 

10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Booger.

Before that we have to go all the way back to the Goose, and that was before he became a household name.  

Corey Simon could have been that guy... 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

That's all she wrote folks.

Just now, CR91 said:

Glad we appear to be signing him,  but I think you'll be surprised at the contract....

Why would we offer 5 years when no one else was doing that?

And if it's true it's been Poe's idea to do a 1-year, make good deal,  then that tells you that no one is offering him the type of deal he's been looking for.

His age may be 27, but that doesn't do much good when you have a bad back.    He didn't play like a guy who is in his prime last season when he was 26.

I'm as curious as the next guy about the deal....     but I'd be furious if it's a 5-year deal.    

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It isn't official until the ink is on the paper. Don't count your hens before they hatch

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Glad we appear to be signing him,  but I think you'll be surprised at the contract....

And if it's true it's been Poe's idea to do a 1-year, make good deal,  then that tells you that no one is offering him the type of deal he's been looking for.

His age may be 27, but that doesn't do much good when you have a bad back.    He didn't play like a guy who is in his prime last season when he was 26.

I'm as curious as the next guy about the deal....     but I'd be furious if it's a 5-year deal.    

I'm still going to trust Ballard, he would know more about Poe and his situation than just about anyone else in the league.

28 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Prepare to be shocked then.  If not us then somebody else 

I think the shock goes the other way.     Poe has not been getting the big offers.    That's why he's been asking for a 1-year, make good contract.     He'd never ask for that if he'd been getting 5-year offers.

We're offering 1-3 years.      More than that would be crazy because we'd have been bidding against ourselves.

And if Ballard let's him walk out the door,  then that tells you he's asking for too much and Poe's back is a big concern.

I honestly don't think Ballard would sign him if he didn't know first hand Poe's back issues will be a long term concern. 

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:
3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It isn't official until the ink is on the paper. Don't count your hens before they hatch

Don't put the cart before the horse 

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I honestly don't think Ballard would sign him if he didn't know first hand Poe's back issues will be a long term concern. 

I understand that....    that's not hard to say....

But you're the guy talking about 5 years and 70+ million...

I'm simply saying that's not happening because there's no reason for that to happen.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the shock goes the other way.     Poe has not been getting the big offers.    That's why he's been asking for a 1-year, make good contract.     He'd never ask for that if he'd been getting 5-year offers.

We're offering 1-3 years.      More than that would be crazy because we'd have been bidding against ourselves.

And if Ballard let's him walk out the door,  then that tells you he's asking for too much and Poe's back is a big concern.

He has three other visits lined up.  That should tell you he is in demand.  i am sure the agent discussed the parameters of the deal they are looking for so the fact that we brought him in tells me we are ready to negotiate within those parameters IMO.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm simply saying that's not happening because there's no reason for that to happen.

You rather have a possible one year rental?

Just now, richard pallo said:

He has three other visits lined up.  That should tell you he is in demand.  i am sure the agent discussed the parameters of the deal they are looking for so the fact that we brought him in tells me we are ready to negotiate within those parameters IMO.

Yeah....    but reportedly those parameters are that Poe wants a 1-year make-good contract so he can prove his worth and and be back on the market next year.    

That should tell everyone that Poe isn't getting the offers he thinks he should.

Just now, CR91 said:

You rather have possible one year rental?

On a guy with a bad back that's already been operated on and coming off a bad year?   

Ab-so-lute-ly!

I'm OK with a 2 or 3 year deal if that's what we do.

But 5 years?     With 10 Mill + and big guarantees?         No.       Oh, HELL no!!      That would be a terrible contract.      Make Poe prove he's healthy before giving out that type of money....

On a guy with a bad back that's already been operated on and coming off a bad year?   

Ab-so-lute-ly!

I'm OK with a 2 or 3 year deal if that's what we do.

But 5 years?     With 10 Mill + and big guarantees?         No.       Oh, HELL no!!      That would be a terrible contract.      Make Poe prove he's healthy before giving out that type of money....

it was just one bad year 

Just now, CR91 said:

it was just one bad year 

I'm not sure how Poe did in 2015,  right after he had surgery that summer?

I don't have his ratings,  but I thought I had read that he's been below average two years in a row......

Bad backs don't often get better.     They continue to bother.    The question is.....   can you continue to play with the back problem at a high enough level?

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah....    but reportedly those parameters are that Poe wants a 1-year make-good contract so he can prove his worth and and be back on the market next year.    

That should tell everyone that Poe isn't getting the offers he thinks he should.

If his parameters are only a one year deal why bring him in to negotiate?  That could easily be done over the phone and once you hit his number bring him in to sign.  I could see a one year deal as a fallback if a multiple deal cannot be reached.  I think they are working on a multiple year deal. 

i think today's NFL, no matter the position, hands out big contracts that have too much guaranteed $$ and not enough incentive $$. Players may not like that, but I've seen way too many players get their big contract $ and kick back for a season or two. If teams began putting big $ into incentives it would force players to stay "hungry".

This Poe contract should be that way. Incentive laden. Pay the man, by all means, but do it through hard work & determination on the field. If an injury happens there should be $ in the contract for that also. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm pretty sure half the posts in this thread are something to the tune of "I trust Ballard to know firsthand if Poe's back is an issue, etc. etc." 

We get it people. You can connect the dots between Ballard being a Chiefs front office guy and Poe being an ex-player.... christ. lol

I really hope you're right NCF but I got a bad feeling about this. Hopefully Ballard doesn't make that mistake. I'd be happy with a 2-3 year deal. Usually good DTs continue being good into their 30's so we'll get a good look at how he holds up over 3 years and make the determination from there.