Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoDeep

Dontari Poe scheduled to visit

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

 

I agree. The market for top NTs is 10-12 mil. I think he wants the 1 year contract to show he can play like an all pro 3 tech and get that 15 mil.

 

Hopefully they can find some middle ground .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Patty Mac tweeting about it too

Pretty awesome how even though Patty Mac retired yes still gonna be a huge fan of the colts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, a06cc said:

5 yr 72mil?

 

I could live on that.  Probably have to cut down on Starbucks, but I'd take one for the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, twfish said:

Pretty awesome how even though Patty Mac retired yes still gonna be a huge fan of the colts

 

A fan AND a recruiter. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this reminds me of the Andre Johnson saga, waited for hours to hear anything.... hope this turns out much better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

this reminds me of the Andre Johnson saga, waited for hours to hear anything.... hope this turns out much better

 

the difference is poe isnt past his prime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to remember when the last time the Colts had a NT that had been to 2 Pro-Bowls or that caliber of player?  McFarland?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AZColt11 said:

Trying to remember when the last time the Colts had a NT that had been to 2 Pro-Bowls or that caliber of player?  McFarland?

 

are you forgetting the great eric foster and keyanta dawson combination haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Trying to remember when the last time the Colts had a NT that had been to 2 Pro-Bowls or that caliber of player?  McFarland?

Probably 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CR91 said:

 

are you forgetting the great eric foster and keyanta dawson combination haha

Apparently I had, or perhaps slept through it.  My bad.  :thmup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CR91 said:

ESPN NFL Insider Josina Anderson reported that owner Jim Irsay may send his private jet to pick up Poe. If so, Irsay likely doesn't plan to have the defensive lineman leave Indianapolis without completing a deal.

 

Considering the amount of money and risk involved, I was wondering if Irsay would have to approve the deal.

 

Now I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Trying to remember when the last time the Colts had a NT that had been to 2 Pro-Bowls or that caliber of player?  McFarland?

 

Booger.

 

Before that we have to go all the way back to the Goose, and that was before he became a household name.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, stitches said:

Why? He's a nose tackle. No nose tackle in the league is paid more than 12 per year.

 

Brandon Williams who is arguably better than Poe just got a 5 year 54M deal. We will not give Poe more than that IMO(or very close to that)

Prepare to be shocked then.  If not us then somebody else 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

 

Booger.

 

Before that we have to go all the way back to the Goose, and that was before he became a household name.  

 

Corey Simon could have been that guy... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stitches said:

 

 

That's all she wrote folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR91 said:

 

That's all she wrote folks.

 

Glad we appear to be signing him,  but I think you'll be surprised at the contract....

 

Why would we offer 5 years when no one else was doing that?

 

And if it's true it's been Poe's idea to do a 1-year, make good deal,  then that tells you that no one is offering him the type of deal he's been looking for.

 

His age may be 27, but that doesn't do much good when you have a bad back.    He didn't play like a guy who is in his prime last season when he was 26.

 

I'm as curious as the next guy about the deal....     but I'd be furious if it's a 5-year deal.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

That's all she wrote folks.

It isn't official until the ink is on the paper. Don't count your hens before they hatch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Glad we appear to be signing him,  but I think you'll be surprised at the contract....

 

Why would we offer 5 years when no one else was doing that?

 

And if it's true it's been Poe's idea to do a 1-year, make good deal,  then that tells you that no one is offering him the type of deal he's been looking for.

 

His age may be 27, but that doesn't do much good when you have a bad back.    He didn't play like a guy who is in his prime last season when he was 26.

 

I'm as curious as the next guy about the deal....     but I'd be furious if it's a 5-year deal.    

I'm still going to trust Ballard, he would know more about Poe and his situation than just about anyone else in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Prepare to be shocked then.  If not us then somebody else 

 

I think the shock goes the other way.     Poe has not been getting the big offers.    That's why he's been asking for a 1-year, make good contract.     He'd never ask for that if he'd been getting 5-year offers.

 

We're offering 1-3 years.      More than that would be crazy because we'd have been bidding against ourselves.

 

And if Ballard let's him walk out the door,  then that tells you he's asking for too much and Poe's back is a big concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Glad we appear to be signing him,  but I think you'll be surprised at the contract....

 

Why would we offer 5 years when no one else was doing that?

 

And if it's true it's been Poe's idea to do a 1-year, make good deal,  then that tells you that no one is offering him the type of deal he's been looking for.

 

His age may be 27, but that doesn't do much good when you have a bad back.    He didn't play like a guy who is in his prime last season when he was 26.

 

I'm as curious as the next guy about the deal....     but I'd be furious if it's a 5-year deal.    

 

I honestly don't think Ballard would sign him if he didn't know first hand Poe's back issues will be a long term concern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CR91 said:
3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It isn't official until the ink is on the paper. Don't count your hens before they hatch

 

Don't put the cart before the horse 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

 

I honestly don't think Ballard would sign him if he didn't know first hand Poe's back issues will be a long term concern. 

 

I understand that....    that's not hard to say....

 

But you're the guy talking about 5 years and 70+ million...

 

I'm simply saying that's not happening because there's no reason for that to happen.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I think the shock goes the other way.     Poe has not been getting the big offers.    That's why he's been asking for a 1-year, make good contract.     He'd never ask for that if he'd been getting 5-year offers.

 

We're offering 1-3 years.      More than that would be crazy because we'd have been bidding against ourselves.

 

And if Ballard let's him walk out the door,  then that tells you he's asking for too much and Poe's back is a big concern.

He has three other visits lined up.  That should tell you he is in demand.  i am sure the agent discussed the parameters of the deal they are looking for so the fact that we brought him in tells me we are ready to negotiate within those parameters IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I understand that....    that's not hard to say....

 

But you're the guy talking about 5 years and 70+ million...

 

I'm simply saying that's not happening because there's no reason for that to happen.

 

 

 

 

You rather have a possible one year rental?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, richard pallo said:

He has three other visits lined up.  That should tell you he is in demand.  i am sure the agent discussed the parameters of the deal they are looking for so the fact that we brought him in tells me we are ready to negotiate within those parameters IMO.

 

Yeah....    but reportedly those parameters are that Poe wants a 1-year make-good contract so he can prove his worth and and be back on the market next year.    

 

That should tell everyone that Poe isn't getting the offers he thinks he should.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR91 said:

 

You rather have possible one year rental?

 

On a guy with a bad back that's already been operated on and coming off a bad year?   

 

Ab-so-lute-ly!

 

I'm OK with a 2 or 3 year deal if that's what we do.

 

But 5 years?     With 10 Mill + and big guarantees?         No.       Oh, HELL no!!      That would be a terrible contract.      Make Poe prove he's healthy before giving out that type of money....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

On a guy with a bad back that's already been operated on and coming off a bad year?   

 

Ab-so-lute-ly!

 

I'm OK with a 2 or 3 year deal if that's what we do.

 

But 5 years?     With 10 Mill + and big guarantees?         No.       Oh, HELL no!!      That would be a terrible contract.      Make Poe prove he's healthy before giving out that type of money....

 

 

it was just one bad year 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CR91 said:

 

it was just one bad year 

 

I'm not sure how Poe did in 2015,  right after he had surgery that summer?

 

I don't have his ratings,  but I thought I had read that he's been below average two years in a row......

 

Bad backs don't often get better.     They continue to bother.    The question is.....   can you continue to play with the back problem at a high enough level?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Yeah....    but reportedly those parameters are that Poe wants a 1-year make-good contract so he can prove his worth and and be back on the market next year.    

 

That should tell everyone that Poe isn't getting the offers he thinks he should.

 

 

If his parameters are only a one year deal why bring him in to negotiate?  That could easily be done over the phone and once you hit his number bring him in to sign.  I could see a one year deal as a fallback if a multiple deal cannot be reached.  I think they are working on a multiple year deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think today's NFL, no matter the position, hands out big contracts that have too much guaranteed $$ and not enough incentive $$. Players may not like that, but I've seen way too many players get their big contract $ and kick back for a season or two. If teams began putting big $ into incentives it would force players to stay "hungry".

This Poe contract should be that way. Incentive laden. Pay the man, by all means, but do it through hard work & determination on the field. If an injury happens there should be $ in the contract for that also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I understand that....    that's not hard to say....

 

But you're the guy talking about 5 years and 70+ million...

 

I'm simply saying that's not happening because there's no reason for that to happen.

 

 

 

I'm pretty sure half the posts in this thread are something to the tune of "I trust Ballard to know firsthand if Poe's back is an issue, etc. etc." 

We get it people. You can connect the dots between Ballard being a Chiefs front office guy and Poe being an ex-player.... christ. lol

 

I really hope you're right NCF but I got a bad feeling about this. Hopefully Ballard doesn't make that mistake. I'd be happy with a 2-3 year deal. Usually good DTs continue being good into their 30's so we'll get a good look at how he holds up over 3 years and make the determination from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • To go right along with your tired argument, again.
    • Jacoby is good, hes not great, hes not elite.  In time, with the right team around him and the right coaching he might be great, but probably never elite.     Past few years hes been a very good backup, just because he was thrust into a starting role doesnt mean his skillset automatically makes the leap with him.  The demands on that skillset do, but the set is the same.   I like Jacoby alot, I'm glad we have him.  I honestly believe hes the right guy for right now.  Given the circumstances we couldn't have done better and I've really enjoyed watching him this year.  But hes a "top 20" qb in the best assessment of the people around him.  Not exactly glowing, but probably pretty fair.   The clock ticks on these mid talent dudes tho.  Unfortunately, as time moves on, his flaws will probably become more apparent than his strengths.   I'm not saying he cant improve, it's just that I believe those improvements will be marginal at best.  At this level there are so many intangibles, physical traits, mental acuity, etc that all eventually top out long before things like desire, skill, leadership, and work ethic.   If hes going to succeed it's not going to be on his own.  It will be as much about the team they build around him, and a scheme that continues to feature what he does best.  It's a much tougher proposition and it's going to lead to neverending debate in forums like these.  But its not ever going to be all about jacoby.    
    • His pod casts are always a good listen. I'm at work so I cant dig through and give you the exact spot right now but the whole thing is good if you cant get enough colts info.   
    • That’s because he through 3 INT. We didn’t come close to losing because of one missed point. Miami’s offense was given 13 points and didn’t even have to move the ball  much to get a FG.     Read the post. I said the Pitt game. As for the Miami game we lost by less that the TD Ebron  botched but I didn't refer to that game.     Not surprised you are not answering this post Chloie. Didn't answer it last week either.
    • I hear ya, but...  Benadryl.     2nd 'consecutive' year starting... with same scheme and offensive coordinator.   These were not the nearly the same in JB7's case.   And after 4 full years under Charlie Weis in the Earhardt-Perkins system he installed there (and still use),  Weis moved on and also told TB12 he had nothing more for him     Different schemes and different offensive coordinators, with a year on the pine in between. Every situation is unique.  Like Aaron Rodger year 4...     Charlie Weis ( and BB ) saw the 'it' factor in a young Tom Brady. Weis says he saw it in JB7 as well. (as, apparently, did Bill Parcells).  It's at least because of these 2 endorsements I placed my trust in Reich and JB7, and still do until >30 starts and 4 years manning the helm.   BTW, Pat Kirwan labeled JB7 as backup QB... until recently. He said JB7 won him over as a true blue NFL starting QB.   Time will tell.
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...