Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dontari Poe scheduled to visit

58 minutes ago, GGW4Micheal said:

I didn't think we were in the race for Hightower?

Sorry, it was more wishful/metaphorical than anything. Haha. No I don't know of any good sources saying we're interested. It was more to say that signing Poe would likely make it unlikely to go after hightower, but possibly leaves rooms for others.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Thank you. That is the information I have been looking for. This concerns me a bit. This procedure is a simple one with a quick & usually complete recovery. I've had this procedure myself however, years later because of degeneration I had to eventually undergo a 3 level fusion which is a completely different animal altogether.

His spine has been compromised simply by under going this procedure. He's a rather large man which puts added pressure on any compromised area of the back. I'm not saying he will ever have any further issues with his back. I juast hope the Colts do their due diligence & have him carefully examined with an MRI or perhaps a discogram to insure the integrity of that particular disc.

That's why maybe just a 2 year deal would be adequate.

3 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Poe is one of the best NT's in the league and was valuable to the Chiefs defense over the last few years. He'll be the best NT we've had since Anthony McFarland who was important in the superbowl run. He's only 27 and just entering his prime. I think Poe would do wonders for this defense and we should sign him to a long term deal. 

If the Colts medical staff see to it that he will have a 100% recovery, then I agree, sign him to a long term deal. If they aren't sure, sign him to a 1 year prove-it deal and see how he holds up. If the injury is a non-issue, the reward could be mammoth for the price.

1 hour ago, funktacious2 said:

I'd say it would probably take us out of the Hightower race, but could probably still snag TJ Lang (OG). I could still see us re-signing Darius Butler as well.

I'm thinking TJ Lang could very well be a Colt. Titans and Browns(who have a lot of cap space) don't need a guard. I complained at first about the free agency period. If we get Poe and Lang, we will have one of the better free agencies out there. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm thinking TJ Lang could very well be a Colt. Titans and Browns(who have a lot of cap space) don't need a guard. I complained at first about the free agency period. If we get Poe and Lang, we will have one of the better free agencies out there. 

This wouldn't upset me either......

38 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

This is what I've been trying to find out as well. Has he actually had a procedure done to his back? Is this a new, fresh issue or has he had recurring back problems?

Anybody have any details?

He herniated a disc and had the surgery about the middle of the offseason.  My dad has had this surgery and the recovery takes awhile.  There is also a slightly increased chance he herniated the disc above or below the vertebrae that was repaired.

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I won't be thrilled with the pick.  Not because cook isn't good,  But the shelf life for rb is typically short.  I don't like drafting first round backs.    But who am I.  

I like Cook is the best RB in the draft, but personally, he reminds me a lot of jamaal Charles. Might as well sign him to go with Gore if that's the case. I don't see our team will put a RB that high on our board. 

4 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

This wouldn't upset me either......

I'm also really curious about who we are gonna pick up in the secondary. We have to pick up a corner or safety. Wonder what Ballard has in his plans. Mo Claiborne, TJ McDonald, Ladarius Webb? 

6 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I would have to think lang is on our radar

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If the Colts medical staff see to it that he will have a 100% recovery, then I agree, sign him to a long term deal. If they aren't sure, sign him to a 1 year prove-it deal and see how he holds up. If the injury is a non-issue, the reward could be mammoth for the price.

He's been durable all of his career. He's one of those rare physical specimen's at NT that seems to be in good shape. He commands double teams and is a natural clogger of runner lanes. I think he's well worth a long term deal. 

30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,  If he leaves Indy without a contract,  there's a reason

Good point.  Poe nor his agent is going to be able to pull a fast one on Ballard, not with his knowledge of Poe.  If he signs or doesn't, it will be a very well informed decision. 

50 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Poe is one of the best NT's in the league and was valuable to the Chiefs defense over the last few years. He'll be the best NT we've had since Anthony McFarland who was important in the superbowl run. He's only 27 and just entering his prime. I think Poe would do wonders for this defense and we should sign him to a long term deal. 

WAS. He was nowhere near as good last year as he was his first few years. He went from an insane 3-down NT to a rotational 2-down player that wasn't even that great at stopping the run. If the surgery gets him back into form, I'd take the old Poe, but I want no part of last year's...especially at the price he'll command.

58 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

He herniated a disc and had the surgery about the middle of the offseason.  My dad has had this surgery and the recovery takes awhile.  There is also a slightly increased chance he herniated the disc above or below the vertebrae that was repaired.

The surgery was during the 2015 offseason,  not last year.

So, he is two years removed from surgery.

The problem is,   I don't think Poe's 2015 season was all that good....   and I think his 2016 season was even worse.      So, his trend line is going in the wrong direction.

At 27,  he should be getting a number of multiple year offers....    but it doesn't look like he is....    so the NFL is wise to Poe right now....

Not sure what this means for the Colts....   we're bringing him in.    But can we convince him not to leave and sign a contract?      We'll know more in roughly 48 hours.....

55 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

He's been durable all of his career. He's one of those rare physical specimen's at NT that seems to be in good shape. He commands double teams and is a natural clogger of runner lanes. I think he's well worth a long term deal. 

Except that two days into FA,  and no one in the NFL seems to share that view.

The buzz that's out there is that he's being offered one year deals.     What does that tell you......?

1 hour ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Not exactly.  They didn't repair the vertebrae if what he had was accurately reported.  They said he had a microdiscectomy, which would mean they made about a 1 inch incision and scraped out the herniated portion of the disc as well as any excess bone material from the vertebrae.  The goal is to decompress the nerve root, so whatever is pressing in on that nerve they would strip away.  But the vertebrae is left largely intact and unchanged.  It doesn't appear he had a fusion, which would in that case take a while to heal because you have to wait for the bone to fuse.  So I wouldn't think that's a problem unless it has re-ruptured.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Except that two days into FA,  and no one in the NFL seems to share that view.

The buzz that's out there is that he's being offered one year deals.     What does that tell you......?

It tells me Ballard should be careful with Poe. I have been cold on Poe from jump street. I would rather ink Logan or draft Big Stevie. Both will plug the middle vs the run.

I like what we have done so far. Ballard should know the deal. It's bothersome KC gave up some big rushing games including the playoffs. It's not all on Poe but you'd think they would have been better. This feels like the classic free agency bad signing big name player as you pointed out injuries and his play declining. 

3 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

I do believe Ballard is Focusing on Defense in the early stages in Free Agency with quality players.  This way he'll have most of the pieces together and draft one or two more blue chip defensive players, since the draft is deep on the defensive side....This means, "Welcome to Indy, D Cook"

You're going to be awfully disappointed when we don't draft Dalvin in the first. 

I'm very happy to read this. Ballard knows exactly what Poe is worth, so if Poe ask too much, he will go elsewhere. I have no idea whether Poe's play is declining, but Ballard knows. But the point is that we are not done fixed the defense up front. Good news. 

If we sign him, it is a good sign. If we let him walk, it is a good sign. 

We'll sign him. Question is.....How good will he be. I think if he's healthy he's gonna be one of those "OMG I cant believe we have this beast" kinda player. I think he'll be fine and bounce back personally. With the Poe from 2 years ago and drafting a couple stud EDGE rushers, we're gonna be set.

1 hour ago, UKColt13 said:

Would be a good signing I think.

Draw the line at 5/60m. Anything more than that and it's not worth it.

Lots of good names on the list of teams allegedly interested in him including the Falcons and Raiders.  Do you think he may only be interested in a one year deal or do you think he would sign long term?

48 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

Lots of good names on the list of teams allegedly interested in him including the Falcons and Raiders.  Do you think he may only be interested in a one year deal or do you think he would sign long term?

I don't see any reason that he would take a deal of less than 4 years. The Williams contract is going to be his yardstick (5/$54m, 10.8mil per)

$11/12m per I think should be a good enough offer to get his signature. He'd be playing for a player's coach, a GM who he knows and that knows him, a scheme that suits him down to the ground, and a team with a legit QB.

If he wants to chase a win now team then that's his prerogative but I think we have as good a case to get him as anyone else has.

I'm hearing about concerns about his back though. As long as we've done our due diligence then i'm not too worried. 

If the back issues are enough of a worry then it could significantly decrease the offers he gets. If that's the case his FA period could be longer than expected since he'll likely take the time to shop any offers he gets, rather than signing as soon as someone hits the number he has in his head.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The surgery was during the 2015 offseason,  not last year.

So, he is two years removed from surgery.

The problem is,   I don't think Poe's 2015 season was all that good....   and I think his 2016 season was even worse.      So, his trend line is going in the wrong direction.

At 27,  he should be getting a number of multiple year offers....    but it doesn't look like he is....    so the NFL is wise to Poe right now....

Not sure what this means for the Colts....   we're bringing him in.    But can we convince him not to leave and sign a contract?      We'll know more in roughly 48 hours.....

I think his 2015 was bad partially because I think he played through the back injury.  I read somewhere he had a rough start to 2016 but improved throughout the year as his back healed. 

Ballard already knows Poe's health, and I get the feeling he does want to sign him, he wouldn't have asked him to visit otherwise. The only thing that will stop the deal from happening is the contract situation. I'd love to know what contract proposal Ballard is coming up with, whether he is offering a short or medium term deal. I have a feeling it will be somewhere halfway, with Poe signing for us for something like 2yr/21mil with 13mil guaranteed, so it doesn't cripple us if Poe doesn't work out. I just think Ballard really feels strong about building the fronts and we all know how important the NT position is, it's been a huge weakness for us for years. The desire to potentially fix this weakness will be strong. And of course the Parry situation comes into play a little bit too, not just becuase of the arrest, but because he just is not a good NFL-standard NT.

13 hours ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Does anyone know the nature of his back issues? Has he had surgery in that area? How much playing time has he missed due to his back?  

Likely a Microdiscectomy

12 hours ago, SP_21 said:

What's the deal with his back? What kind of procedure did he undergo?

Probably a Microdiscectomy (As opposed to an Endoscopic Discectomy)

12 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

OK, microdiscectomy is not that bad.  Had one myself.  They basically make about a 1 inch incision and just scrape out the disc that has herniated.  However, it is prone to re-rupture at some point.  It's entirely possible he may need another one, if not now, at some point.  But at least with a micro procedure your recovery time is merely weeks and not months.  I feel better about that now unless it has gotten worse, or if he has nerve damage extending to one of his legs.  But I trust the Colts training staff and docs will find that out.

Well, maybe not so much for an NFL player; notably a 350 lb lineman.  What is true is many NFL players in the trenches have herniated discs.  But typically the severity  isn't enough for the player to opt for surgical intervention. Often these resolve themselves with rest too.  (Offseason self repair). And whether they play through it or opt to have intervention, most athletes have an immense capacity to overcome adversity and work through it or the surgery recovery and function at a near normal ability. But just because a guy is 350 pounds doesn’t mean the structure of his spine is twice as big as that of a 175-pound guy. And there's an issue about core strength as two guys or more are pushing on him, and it’s hard on the lower back.

This timetable from Dr. Chao seems reasonable to me-

“My guess is, the first month (of rehab) — and I haven’t examined him — is more about pain (control), swelling and edema control and trying to maintain a little bit of baseline fitness,” Dr. Chao said. “And the next month is more transitioning into some good, hard rehab. And perhaps the last month, the third month, is (working on) football muscles, football shape, getting field work.”

A good while back I explained about the jelly donut, between the vertebra (shock absorber) and the jelly filling getting squished and is leaking out of the donut.  That stuff (nucleus pulposus) is very inflammatory and they have to get that and any protruding material.  The recovery/rehab is as above. I expect if he slowly ramps up his fitness routine this spring, he should not be hindered from his procedure at all getting in football shape and performing well. Mind you, he did not get a new shock absorber, just had his repaired.  Any degeneration (wear and tear) is still there, it's just not 'broken' like it was before the surgery.

I would do more than a one year deal for Poe if his base salary was slightly under market value and Likely to be Earned incentives bring the potential pay at or even just over market value.  That way, we pay for results, not expectations.  The better he plays, the more we pays.  Win - Win.