Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dontari Poe scheduled to visit

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BCoop said:

By the way, it looks like Jax still has more cap room than we started with. ($53 mil)

I tried to tell certain people this...   a couple of teams have way more money than we do and will simply out-bid us....    but they didn't want to listen...

And here we are....

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I'm fine with him signing or not.  There are a couple other players out there to man the middle.

Im also find with him not signing but NT is still a huge need. They need to pursue Hankins. This NT class in the draft isn't exactly great. 

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Feel free to disagree all you want,  but I think history is playing trick with your mind.

What's to disagree with?     Grigson never signed a single expensive free agent.    And all of his signings were either cheap or mid-priced.      Which is what I've been saying in this thread.     Please feel free to re-read this thread and check out my posts.

Wasn't Cherlius made the highest paid RT when he signed ?

Let's see...Colts are in more dire need of Poe's services then the Jags or Falcons, we have adequate cap space to cover him and Ballard probably has better knowledge of the situation then the next two teams.

I'd be surprised if he got a better offer unless Kahn just has money to burn.

giphy.gif

Not sure why the Colts wouldn't do a one-year deal. They have been front-loading all of their FA deals...so it would essentially work the same way. Only difference is that you wouldn't have under control if he performed well...but you would get a comp pick if he left. But if bombed, you wouldn't be tied to a bad contract long-term...like most of Grigs' signings.

Maybe it was just the one-year amount.

Just now, coltsfanatic24 said:

We had our chance with Poe it just didn't work out. Hankins and Logan are still available and would be  good options. They have to sign someone we need an upgrade over Parry at NT. 

It doesnt look good but I wouldnt close the door on it yet. Could be a situation like Lang where he went to all his visits and then made a decision after seeing everyone. Chances are we get outbid but its not set in stone. I have SOME hope that it could still happen

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry we didn't get Poe....   at least,  not yet.

But really glad we didn't do a deal that we might regret. 

Good for Ballard.    Impressive.    Good day of negotiating even if it didn't work out.

Perhaps it will later this week....

That was a tough "sign" IMO. Poe wanted to be paid like something he hasn't played up to in the last couple years. If the back issue "disappears " , he's worth it . If it doesn't , he's worth probably around 8 mill per if you look at how NT's are paid. Ballard didn't want a 1 year deal which I don't blame him. So I would guess we made the best multi year deal we could and Poe walked . I agree that Ballard did the right thing. 

So maybe the best CB left or maybe a run at Hightower .. who knows. What I do know ( I think anyway) is that "visit went well " stuff means forget about Poe.

3 minutes ago, KB said:

I'm ok with this. Hoping for Hankins more than Poe. He's a better run defender and that's what need out of our starting NT. On obvious passing downs throw TY McGill in there.

I really like Hankins as well...and he's still very young. But I have yet to see the Colts tied to him in any way.

40 minutes ago, BCoop said:

Jacksonville is absolutely desperate to be relevant. I could see them telling DP they'll beat any offer Indy puts forward in both years and $$.

Add in no state tax wonder what that amounts to on a multi million dollar bonus

5 minutes ago, BlueCollarColts said:

I wanted Poe too, but is he really going to be a play maker? Davis, Anderson, and Geathers are all potential play makers on this defense if they can stay healthy, imo. 

Potential is just that and Davis and Anderson have been on the wtong side of healthy the past year and a half.

I get poe isnt end all be all, but we still need better players .

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah...   at under $7 Mill per year....

I don't think of that number as expensive....

We disagree on that one I guess. 7 mill back then was an expensive contract , highest in history for a RT. Plus the guaranteed money was substantial . Big cap hit when released... no ?

19 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

It doesnt look good but I wouldnt close the door on it yet. Could be a situation like Lang where he went to all his visits and then made a decision after seeing everyone. Chances are we get outbid but its not set in stone. I have SOME hope that it could still happen

Usually when a player leaves LOS without a deal they won't sign here. I've already moved on from Poe. We have to sign Hankins or Logan now. 

4 minutes ago, twfish said:

Mehhhh not a big deal too me honestly. Wasn't to crazy about spending that much money on a DT who has along of questions. Know one thing now and it's that Ballard isn't the closer grigson was

Time will tell