Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoDeep

Dontari Poe scheduled to visit

I have gotten my hopes up that he signs and plays like he did early on.  So I will be very disappointed if he does not sign! 

Jacksonville is absolutely desperate to be relevant. I could see them telling DP they'll beat any offer Indy puts forward in both years and $$.

This doesn't sound good for our prospects of signing him. I think the chances he's a Colt next year just went down.

Done for the day....good way to waste a couple of hours.

Gonna be a long wait until 27 April....what's next on the agenda?

17 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

For the sake of continued discussion...

But..... price isn't the issue... it is that ability to do the job you are hired to do.  There never seemed to be any rhyme or reason in the past and that isn't to mention the "over-the-hill" aspect of previous FA signings.

For the sake of the discussion...

I was simply comparing the signings which is where this discussion started a few pages back.   Someone asked if Grigson would do the same thing and I said "yes"...

As for any rhyme or reason,  I'd say this....

That's what things looked like now...   after the fact.     But the signings Grigson made his first few years,  12, 13 and 14,  looked mostly pretty good.

Things went sideways in 15 and 16 when he tried to force things by hiring older players as the team was in a win-now mode.     They were trying to get the most bang during Luck's rookie contract.

This was widely talked about.     It looked different than the first 3 years,  but we did talk about it.

And this had to come from Irsay....   he had to approve the approach.     And now, we're on a "get young" track... we're trying to sign younger players and let older players leave.     And we're collecting draft picks to draft more younger players.      

We've changed direction.

1 minute ago, Virtuoso80 said:

Not signed in

It`s a business. No need to get bent outta shape.

1 minute ago, backshoulderfade said:

That's our chance gone. Jags will offer more than we can match.

How mich space do they have left? They've already dished out big deals to Bouye and Campbell. 

Just now, scooter4910 said:

Done for the day....good way to waste a couple of hours.

Gonna be a long wait until 27 April....what's next on the agenda?

We're definitely still going to be adding some players, Hankins, Logan, Hightower etc. are all still available.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For the sake of the discussion...

I was simply comparing the signings which is where this discussion started a few pages back.   Someone asked if Grigson would do the same thing and I said "yes"...

As for any rhyme or reason,  I'd say this....

That's what things looked like now...   after the fact.     But the signings Grigson made his first few years,  12, 13 and 14,  looked mostly pretty good.

Things went sideways in 15 and 16 when he tried to force things by hiring older players as the team was in a win-now mode.     They were trying to get the most bang during Luck's rookie contract.

This was widely talked about.     It looked different than the first 3 years,  but we did talk about it.

And this had to come from Irsay....   he had to approve the approach.     And now, we're on a "get young" track... we're trying to sign younger players and let older players leave.     And we're collecting draft picks to draft more younger players.      

We've changed direction.

For the better I hope.  

1 minute ago, BlueCollarColts said:

We're definitely still going to be adding some players, Hankins, Logan, Hightower etc. are all still available.

We haven't been in contact with any of those 3 at all

21 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i don't really care who you are. nor do i care about your experience on this site. however i do care about facts, and facts tell me that Kansas city was not doing so well till CB showed up and help put the right blue prints in that made that franchise a contender you now see today. 

I don't know why you think I don't like Chris Ballard.     I do.    I'm happy he's our GM.

We were just having a conversation and I wrote something that you didn't like and you went off.

As the new guy,  you decided you knew enough to cause trouble.     Guess what,  you're wrong on all counts.

And the fact that you don't know me or anyone else and don't care,  tells me all I need to know about you.

Not a great start for you.....      good luck.....

Don't think he'll sign with JAX, they are stacked on d-line, where they have players that don't even their scheme. Probably wouldn't even start. 

Well, I said it before, and I'll repeat again.  Poe leaving without ink on the contract means to me that he probably isn't going to sign in Indy.  And with Ballard knowing him well, I'm OK with that.  

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Signing Simon and Sheard is fine, just as signing Jean-Francois and Walden were fine......

Francois was a joke.  

Ballard is following a similar blue print, he just doing a better job of it imo.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

If his back really isn't an issue, then I am surprised that Ballard let Poe leave without a contract.

My guess is Indy wanted him long term and Poe wants like 1 year at 16 million

6 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

How mich space do they have left? They've already dished out big deals to Bouye and Campbell. 

Not sure exactly. A lot, i believe though.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

Well, I said it before, and I'll repeat again.  Poe leaving without ink on the contract means to me that he probably isn't going to sign in Indy.  And with Ballard knowing him well, I'm OK with that.  

For some reason, so am I

4 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

We haven't been in contact with any of those 3 at all

That you know of. Not everything ends up on twitter

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I want to say it is like a Kabillion $ plus a little bit. :sarcasm:  

I think he could be a good addition, but if he is just shopping money maybe I change my mind a bit. And I get that it is a business.  I just think if you don't have your heart into it you won't play as well as you could anyway.  

Who knows, maybe he is just doing his diligence and seeing what the Jags/ others have to say/ offer and he ends up here anyway.  

Not the end of the season.

If he's leaving, he's likely not signing here....once they leave, it is rare for them to come back.

By the way, it looks like Jax still has more cap room than we started with. ($53 mil)

Just now, Indeee said:

My guess is Indy wanted him long term and Poe wants like 1 year at 16 million

If that's the case...then I would think there's a decent chance he could still sign. The main point of a one-year deal would be to build up his value to get a bigger long-term deal...but that's not going to happen in JAC. If ATL gets involved, that changes things

I assume there is a number that would get Poe to sign a long-term deal, but no team has come close to offering it.

Who was it a few years that left and ended up signing the next day? It's not usual but I think I remember it happening

Sorry we didn't get Poe....   at least,  not yet.

But really glad we didn't do a deal that we might regret. 

Good for Ballard.    Impressive.    Good day of negotiating even if it didn't work out.

Perhaps it will later this week....

He may not sign with the Jags, but I saw alot on twitter that the Falcons are keen on him, as are the Raiders. Doesn't look like he is going to sign with us now.

I'm fine with him signing or not.  There are a couple other players out there to man the middle.

9 minutes ago, snkdy said:

The Jags don't need a DT...

but they have the money to keep us from getting him..... that is if that is what they want to do.