Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dontari Poe scheduled to visit

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I think his 2015 was bad partially because I think he played through the back injury.  I read somewhere he had a rough start to 2016 but improved throughout the year as his back healed. 

Let's hope he's healthier now....

It appears we're close to signing him....

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Ballard already knows Poe's health, and I get the feeling he does want to sign him, he wouldn't have asked him to visit otherwise. The only thing that will stop the deal from happening is the contract situation. I'd love to know what contract proposal Ballard is coming up with, whether he is offering a short or medium term deal. I have a feeling it will be somewhere halfway, with Poe signing for us for something like 2yr/21mil with 13mil guaranteed, so it doesn't cripple us if Poe doesn't work out. I just think Ballard really feels strong about building the fronts and we all know how important the NT position is, it's been a huge weakness for us for years. The desire to potentially fix this weakness will be strong. And of course the Parry situation comes into play a little bit too, not just becuase of the arrest, but because he just is not a good NFL-standard NT.

Yeah, It's exciting to know that Ballard wants to build up front if he can do that were going to be really good in the future. 

11 hours ago, Shive said:

WAS. He was nowhere near as good last year as he was his first few years. He went from an insane 3-down NT to a rotational 2-down player that wasn't even that great at stopping the run. If the surgery gets him back into form, I'd take the old Poe, but I want no part of last year's...especially at the price he'll command.

That's what I seen too. I'm not sure if people are so in love with the "big splash name" or his first couple seasons because he want anything special last season from the limited views I seen of his game. Anything more than 3 years on a contract will be too much risk imo. And you just can't commit too much in guaranteed money for him. Big salary first year if you think he is ok, I'm fine with the chance but he has to be cuttable next season if he is 2016 Poe vs 2015 Poe. 

8 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

Would be a good signing I think.

Draw the line at 5/60m. Anything more than that and it's not worth it.

I wouldn't go that high or that long UNLESS I could get out of it next season if his play continues in a declining direction as opposed to his earlier Dominate play. I don't trust this guy is the answer to our woes as much as he is the big name from his early success. Ballard hopefully knows this answer better than most everyone else. 

13 hours ago, rockywoj said:

That's actually quite interesting, for my attitude is, as long as they don't utterly cash strap themselves cap-wise, which would then prevent ongoing moves to continue to improve, I really could not care less what a player is signed for, as long as he is a key signing to noticeably improve the team.  As a fan wanting to see the team WIN, I would never quibble over a guy being signed for $13M per year instead of $10M per year.  As long as that extra $3M does not strap the team, who cares, really?!

Not like the dough is coming from mine or your wallets.  lol

i concur

3 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Ballard already knows Poe's health, and I get the feeling he does want to sign him, he wouldn't have asked him to visit otherwise. The only thing that will stop the deal from happening is the contract situation. I'd love to know what contract proposal Ballard is coming up with, whether he is offering a short or medium term deal. I have a feeling it will be somewhere halfway, with Poe signing for us for something like 2yr/21mil with 13mil guaranteed, so it doesn't cripple us if Poe doesn't work out. I just think Ballard really feels strong about building the fronts and we all know how important the NT position is, it's been a huge weakness for us for years. The desire to potentially fix this weakness will be strong. And of course the Parry situation comes into play a little bit too, not just becuase of the arrest, but because he just is not a good NFL-standard NT.

I can get behind that kind of deal, maybe even a 3 yr deal with escalators based on his production and inflating the looks of the deal (for ego sakes of high dollar deal) 

3 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

back injury or no back injury, he's still a whole hell of a lot better then what we have at NT....SIGN HIM!

You don't just sign someone for the sake of a big name, you do it because they are a force. Being better than what we had isn't enough to sign a 12 million a year guy because our floor of what has been good enough was pretty low. We need a premiere guy. It a broken down expensive replacement ( if that's what his tape and doctor evals show). Time will tell. 

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Really worried about the Poe signing. Why do I see Corey Simon all over again?? I have to trust Ballard but Poe makes me nervous.

That's probably a really good comparison for the concern many of brought up. Simon PTSD concerns ughhhhh

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Really worried about the Poe signing. Why do I see Corey Simon all over again?? I have to trust Ballard but Poe makes me nervous.

Sorry folks for the long wind, but this story might be too old for many  newer members to know of, and it is a stain on the brain of all who lived through it.  Seasons 2005-2007

The Eagles picked Simon with the #6 overall pick in the 2000 draft. In his first year he broke the Eagles' rookie record with 9.5 sacks. Despite not reaching that number again, he still put up 32 sacks in his first 5 years as an Eagle. Not to bad for a DT.  However..

Problems were already showing as his rookie contract was on the back side.  Corey started holding out of camp hoping to get a lucrative long term deal.  The Eagles issue was he appeared to do little more than eat during the time he would hold out, and then show up to camp totally out of shape.  If you check his 2004 overall stats, they appear pretty good.  However, a detailed check shows Simon was out of shape and was nearly worthless in the first half of the while he played himself into 'football' shape.  The latter half of the season, Corey performed like the Pro-Bowl player everyone expected from him- but not for a full season, but just the second half.

The next season, Corey holds out again and the Eagles slap the Franchise tag on him, hoping to trade him.  Well, who is going to trade for a (disgruntled at that) dude with no contract?  So the Eagles relent, rescind the tag and just plain cut him.  A pro bowl DT at the end of a rookie deal.  Cut. See ya.

The Colts, sorely lacking in interior D-line help, moves Bill Polian out of character and to jump in on Simon to the tune of 5 years for 30 million beginning 2005.  Remember, we were running our Dungy/Kiffin Tampa 2 defense.  We had zone CB's and a smaller, faster, lighter D line and speedy aggressive edge rushers.  What we needed was penetrating undertackle.  But we found ourselves in trouble when Mr. "I got paid" showed up to Colts training camp.  Known as a smaller, fast (scheme fit) pass rushing DT, he showed up to camp ballooned to well over 300 lbs.  He got Zero sacks, posted his lowest tackle total, and only played in 13 games.  If he did anything at all, then say it was help out our typically poor run defense some.

OK, Corey has his big contract in hand, and now a year in the Colts system under his belt.  Surely he'll show up to 2006 camp on time, work out with the team and show a huge rebound year, right?  (laughing maniacally)  Not quite.  Somehow, Simon was able to injure his knee and miss all of training camp and the first 4 games of the season.  Pffftttt. So much for any rebound.

But wait... that's not all..

Corey Simon was then mysteriously placed on the non-football illness/injury list with an undisclosed ailment, {which is speculated on to this day, as far as I know} not to play at all the rest of that season.  Then the fight over pay / bonus money, etc... delaying his dismissal. So now Polian is forced to trade with the Tampa Bay Bucs to get Anthony "Booger" McFarland (giving a 2nd round draft pick) to fill in Simon's spot at UT to go along with our other DT, Monte Reagor.

Hold on, there's more! 

Then on October 22, someone drills Monte Reagor's vehicle (with theirs) while he is on the way to the stadium for a game, ending his season (he could not even play in the Super Bowl!) Speaking of which, it's amazing we even got there with all of this. Without Booger, not sure we could have done it.  So the Fact Booger flamed out right after that doesn't even matter to me.  His 11 games in in 2006 in a system he was already familiar with was what we needed despartely that year, and in SB XLI.

Next year, Corey shows up to Colts camp for 2007 at over 320 punds (remember Polian had supposedly 'bought' a small fast DT pass rusher as an UT in the Colts Tampa 2? LOL!! ), and he immediately failed the physical.  It wasn't too long after Irsay announces the Colts had then terminated the contract of Corey Simon.  I'm not ever sure if the Colts won or lost the money battle, don't really care now.  But anyone reading this story now understands Bill Polians's disdain from FA, and why he went to the HOF on his talent scouting acumen (even UDFA) and team building, not getting great FA deals done. To top it off, McFarland was furious for Polian getting him away from Tampa.  Before I hear "Yeah, but we got him a Super Bowl Ring", I caution, he already had one with the Bucs, and it might have been his help that got us the ring (in a weird way), I've heard him on his radio show says he's way over it now, and He and Bill have patched things up, so all is good there.

Bill Polian is on record saying this incident was a huge mistake and is reason number 1 why he is/was the way he was regarding the free agent market..  He says you learn to stick to the things you do well, and going out on the FA market and bringing in guys is not what we did well.

So if Poe's story is looking anything like this Corey Simon saga, I'm in your corner.  Otherwise, I Think Ballard's knowledge of the player, his work ethic, etc. will trump fears of another Corey Simon drama.

EDIT: Simon joined the Titans after the Colts released him.  He played 4 of the 6 Titans games, then retired.  He reported his ailment with the Colts and Titans was Polyarthritis.

Again, sorry for length, but a good story that answer lots of questions.

47 minutes ago, hoosierhysteria said:

Don't know if this is a good or bad thing to say. But I like his toughness to play through the back injury.

I'll bet more than 1/2 of lineman in the NFL do just that.  Only when it gets fairly bad (to us, excruciating) do they think of invasive procedures for relief.  There are some potential long term and post football affects from having it, so to avoid if it can be tolerated isn't a bad thing, in a way.

54 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Sorry folks for the long wind, but this story might be too old for many  newer members to know of, and it is a stain on the brain of all who lived through it.  Seasons 2005-2007

The Eagles picked Simon with the #6 overall pick in the 2000 draft. In his first year he broke the Eagles' rookie record with 9.5 sacks. Despite not reaching that number again, he still put up 32 sacks in his first 5 years as an Eagle. Not to bad for a DT.  However..

Problems were already showing as his rookie contract was on the back side.  Corey started holding out of camp hoping to get a lucrative long term deal.  The Eagles issue was he appeared to do little more than eat during the time he would hold out, and then show up to camp totally out of shape.  If you check his 2004 overall stats, they appear pretty good.  However, a detailed check shows Simon was out of shape and was nearly worthless in the first half of the while he played himself into 'football' shape.  The latter half of the season, Corey performed like the Pro-Bowl player everyone expected from him- but for a full season, not just the second half.

The next season, Corey holds out again and the Eagles slap the Franchise tag on him, hoping to trade him.  Well, who is going to trade for a (disgruntled at that) dude with no contract?  So the Eagles relent, rescind the tag and just plain cut him.  A pro bowl DT at the end of a rookie deal.  Cut. See ya.

The Colts, sorely lacking in interior D-line help, moves Bill Polian out of character and to jump in on Simon to the tune of 5 years for 30 million beginning 2005.  Remember, we were running our Dungy/Kiffin Tampa 2 defense.  We had zone CB's and a smaller, faster, lighter D line and speedy aggressive edge rushers.  What we needed was penetrating undertackle.  But we found ourselves in trouble when Mr. "I got paid" showed up to Colts training camp.  Known as a smaller, fast (scheme fit) pass rushing DT, he showed up to camp ballooned to well over 300 lbs.  He got Zero sacks, posted his lowest tackle total, and only played in 13 games.  If he did anything at all, then say it was help out our typically poor run defense some.

OK, Corey has his big contract in hand, and now a year in the Colts system under his belt.  Surely he'll show up to 2006 camp on time, work out with the team and show a huge rebound year, right?  (laughing maniacally)  Not quite.  Somehow, Simon was able to injure his knee and miss all of training camp and the first 4 games of the season.  Pffftttt. So much for any rebound.

Corey Simon was then mysteriously placed on the non-football illness/injury list with an undisclosed ailment, {which is speculated on to this day, as far as I know} not to play at all the rest of that season.  Then the fight over pay / bonus money, etc... delaying his dismissal. So now Polian is forced to trade with the Tampa Bay Bucs to get Anthony "Booger" McFarland (giving a 2nd round draft pick) to fill in Simon's spot at UT to go along with our other DT, Monte Reagor.

Hold on, there's more! 

Then on October 22, someone drills Monte Reagor's vehicle (with theirs) while he is on the way to the stadium for a game, ending his season (he could not even play in the Super Bowl!) Speaking of which, it's amazing we even got there with all of this. Without Booger, not sure we could have done it.  So the Fact Booger flamed out right after that doesn't even matter to me.  His 11 games in in 2006 in a system he was already familiar with was what we needed despartely that year, and in SB XLI.

Next year, Corey shows up to Colts camp for 2007 at over 320 punds (remember Polian had supposedly 'bought' a small fast DT pass rusher as an UT in the Colts Tampa 2? LOL!! ), and he immediately failed the physical.  It wasn't too long after Irsay announces the Colts had then terminated the contract of Corey Simon.  I'm not ever sure if the Colts won or lost the money battle, don't really care now.  But anyone reading this story now understands Bill Polians's disdain from FA, and why he went to the HOF on his talent scouting acumen (even UDFA) and team building, not getting great FA deals done. To top it off, McFarland was furious for Polian getting him away from Tampa.  Before I hear "Yeah, but we got him a Super Bowl Ring", I caution, he already had one with the Bucs, and it might have been his help that got us the ring (in a weird way), I've heard him on his radio show says he's way over it now, and He and Bill have patched things up, so all is good there.

Bill Polian is on record saying this incident was a huge mistake and is reason number 1 why he is/was the way he was regarding the free agent market..  He says you learn to stick to the things you do well, and going out on the FA market and bringing in guys is not what we did well.

So if Poe's story is looking this Corey Simon sag, I'm in you corner.  Otherwise, I Think Ballard's knowledge of the player, his work ethic, etc. will trump fears of another Corey Simon drama.

EDIT: Simon joined the Titans after the Colts released him.  He played 4 of the 6 Titans games, then retired.  He reported his ailment with the Colts and Titans was Polyarthritis.

Yes that is the long story of it. I'd suffice to say their were warning signs there for an extremely talented Dt that was unable to really get on the field. I just hope this doesn't turn out that way with Poes back. I do trust Ballard because he should have more medical knowledge of Poe. But can't help feel queasy about it.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Problems were already showing as his rookie contract was on the back side.  Corey started holding out of camp hoping to get a lucrative long term deal.  The Eagles issue was he appeared to do little more than eat during the time he would hold out, and then show up to camp totally out of shape.  If you check his 2004 overall stats, they appear pretty good.  However, a detailed check shows Simon was out of shape and was nearly worthless in the first half of the while he played himself into 'football' shape.  The latter half of the season, Corey performed like the Pro-Bowl player everyone expected from him- but for a full season, not just the second half.

Hold on, there's more! 

So if Poe's story is looking this Corey Simon sag, I'm in you corner.  Otherwise, I Think Ballard's knowledge of the player, his work ethic, etc. will trump fears of another Corey Simon drama.

I forgot all about Simon

3 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

He's got to pass the physical first.  

Passing the physical is an easy part - preforming at a high level throughout a 16 game season is what he has to prove in order to warrant a multi year contract with a larger amount of guaranteed money.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes that is the long story of it. I'd suffice to say their were warning signs there for an extremely talented Dt that was unable to really get on the field. I just hope this doesn't turn out that way with Poes back. I do trust Ballard because he should have more medical knowledge of Poe. But can't help feel queasy about it.

Difference being ... sounds like Simon was a head case, while Poe remains a dedicated workout warrior?

2 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Hold on, there's more! 

I have never known Poe to have a work ethic problem. Simon got lazy once he got his money and was always out of shape. Why would any of us have any reason to believe that Poe will just all of the sudden get lazy and be out of shape once he signs another big contract. I would do a 2-year deal with him and see how it plays out. Even 80% of what he was is better than most NT's and he's better than anyone we have. Having a 350 pounder to clog the middle will help the Linebackers out bigtime too. Despite his back issue, keep in mind he's only missed 2 games his entire career and didn't miss any last season.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have never known Poe to have a work ethic problem. Simon got lazy once he got his money and was always out of shape. Why would any of us have any reason to believe that Poe will just all of the sudden get lazy and be out of shape once he signs another big contract. I would do a 2-year deal with him and see how it plays out. Even 80% of what he was is better than most NT's and he's better than anyone we have. Having a 350 pounder to clog the middle will help the Linebackers out bigtime too. Despite his back issue, keep in mind he's only missed 2 games his entire career and didn't miss any last season.

Exactly 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1 hour ago, Mr Clueless said:

Exactly 

Agreed, that's why I tell Cory's whole story, then add my opinion on at the end-

"So if Poe's story is looking anything like this Corey Simon saga (which we can tell it is not), I'm in your corner.  Otherwise, I Think Ballard's knowledge of the player, his work ethic, etc. will trump fears of another Corey Simon drama "

IMHO, the Simon story isn't why we would pass on Poe given the chance to sign him.  Ballard may find other reasons though (price, etc...)

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Agreed, that's why I tell Cory's whole story, then add my opinion on at the end-

"So if Poe's story is looking anything like this Corey Simon saga (which we can tell it is not), I'm in your corner.  Otherwise, I Think Ballard's knowledge of the player, his work ethic, etc. will trump fears of another Corey Simon drama "

IMHO, the Simon story isn't why we would pass on Poe given the chance to sign him.  Ballard may find other reasons though (price, etc...)

Your earlier Post was a nice breakdown of the Simon situation, that did blow up in our face. I knew you were giving Poe the benefit of the doubt I just didn't word it in my Post.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I really like what Ballard is doing in FA. That being said I'm concerned about Poe coming to town. I don't understand the excitement on the board. This is a FA nightmare waiting to happen IMO. 

Poe is looking to get paid like it's 2013. He has played an insane amount of snaps for a NT since 2012. He no longer looks like the explosive player he did 2012 and 13. It could be wear and tear or the back I don't know. He's not the same guy that is obvious. The numbers and the eye test both show it.  

Can he be effective still? Probably I think if you limit his snaps and  the back is ok he could be. Do we want a 27 year old NT who's starting to breakdown?

I read fhe comments He's played through the back, he's 350lbs in the middle, better than anything we've had at NT. All that may be true but it's not a reason to  sign him. You want a 350lb NT draft Big Stevie in the 5/6th round. Kid reminds me of Williams. He will eat space and plug the run

If you want a 27 yr old NT that's one of the best in the league at stopping the run? Bring in Bennie Logan and improve our D for pennies on the dollar. This past season he was a poor fit for Philadelphia defense. Look back to 2015 when he played NT Logan had  45 defensive stops, fourth in the league among all interior defenders despite playing just 597 snaps in total. Only Damon Harrison had a better run-stop percentage than Logan’s 14.8 percent, If he gets out of Washington this weekend that is the signing I'd like to see. 

49 minutes ago, akcolt said:

I really like what Ballard is doing in FA. That being said I'm concerned about Poe coming to town. I don't understand the excitement on the board. This is a FA nightmare waiting to happen IMO. 

Poe is looking to get paid like it's 2013. He has played an insane amount of snaps for a NT since 2012. He no longer looks like the explosive player he did 2012 and 13. It could be wear and tear or the back I don't know. He's not the same guy that is obvious. The numbers and the eye test both show it.  

Can he be effective still? Probably I think if you limit his snaps and  the back is ok he could be. Do we want a 27 year old NT who's starting to breakdown?

I read fhe comments He's played through the back, he's 350lbs in the middle, better than anything we've had at NT. All that may be true but it's not a reason to  sign him. You want a 350lb NT draft Big Stevie in the 5/6th round. Kid reminds me of Williams. He will eat space and plug the run

If you want a 27 yr old NT that's one of the best in the league at stopping the run? Bring in Bennie Logan and improve our D for pennies on the dollar. This past season he was a poor fit for Philadelphia defense. Look back to 2015 when he played NT Logan had  45 defensive stops, fourth in the league among all interior defenders despite playing just 597 snaps in total. Only Damon Harrison had a better run-stop percentage than Logan’s 14.8 percent, If he gets out of Washington this weekend that is the signing I'd like to see. 

Yeah I like "Snacks" better...but what do I know. I'm just an arm chair GM. Lol

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

If the back clears Poe is immensely better then Bennie Logan. Idk what his back is looking like ppl are concerned for a reason but the man is not "breaking down" it was 1 year relax. Stevie out of USC? Hes solid, he's no where near Brandon Williams. 

Keep in mind, we are due to pay a Ham and PDE hotpocket...errr.... Art Jones 7.3 million cap hit this year, so paying Poe a big deal, and subtracting most of Jone's hit as well as his entire hit next year, offests a great deal......  rather pay 12 for last years Poe, than 7.3 for Art the last few years....

Its really fun to imagine the upside of Poe but one has to look at the risk vs. reward. He is night and day sometimes,  He does plug up the A gaps but he is inconsistent as a pass rusher but he can show tremendous prowess at times which make him so intriguing.

Bottom line its about the contract but Ballard knows him better than anyone else so lets see

12 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Its really fun to imagine the upside of Poe but one has to look at the risk vs. reward. He is night and day sometimes,  He does plug up the A gaps but he is inconsistent as a pass rusher but he can show tremendous prowess at times which make him so intriguing.

Bottom line its about the contract but Ballard knows him better than anyone else so lets see

If he was his size, stopping the run, AND a consistent pass rusher from NT, he'd cost a lot more than he will get....

17 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

The Risk vs Reward idea goes for almost everyone

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

The Risk vs Reward idea goes for almost everyone

ofcourse it does, the price of the contract is the first variable and the cost is the second.

Price: The amount to purchase something

Cost: The penalty or reward for having that said thing

10 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

This is part that we all need to remember...   If you trust Ballard you have to trust his call on this one.   This will be on him....   Besides Parry is probably a goner after that video was released. (What a dipstick)     So it is possible that there could be a couple of NT's brought in.  I would hope so anyway. And I would like to see us look at Jared Odrick.  He is a versatile player that can play multiple positions.  He is coming off of an injury though, but his first yr he played pretty damn well for the Jaguars 

14 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

If you trust Ballard you have to trust his call on this one.

Yeah, he should be as acquainted with Poe -- medical history, work ethic, motivation, coachability, scheme fit -- as he is with anyone. I'd rather not sink a lot of money into Poe over the long term, and I'd probably still rather have another player, but if Ballard makes this happen, I won't second guess him on it. 

Another route which I think wouldn't be an insult to Poe is paying him top $$ for two years, but drafting his replacement in rd 1 in this or next draft. 

You'd at least be able to allow the young fellow to rotate in and gain confidence before he becomes the man in year 3...just throwing that out there as a possible plan.

But no chance I'd be throwing out a 4/5 year type deal.