Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts noise?

25 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

The route Ballard is taken is a more well thought out approach than Grigson.  Grigson went for the "splash" free agent signings and ended up signing crap!  Ballard is signing people to deals that will expire when we want to resign our own.  

When did Grigson go for the "SPLASH" ?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't even know where to start with contracts, which is probably why I don't do offseason mocks. I love scouting players and doing mock drafts, but contracts just aren't my forte..

Im the opposite. I know contract structures fairly well (although not nearly as well as Superman) but my scouting needs polishing in a lot of areas. I scout what I know (OL, RB) well enough but dont feel confident in my defensive assessments to make informed decisions on players (other than obvious first rounders). 

3 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Im the opposite. I know contract structures fairly well (although not nearly as well as Superman) but my scouting needs polishing in a lot of areas. I scout what I know (OL, RB) well enough but dont feel confident in my defensive assessments to make informed decisions on players (other than obvious first rounders). 

Don't cut yourself short. Your probably a upgrade to many colt scouts.

Just now, Coltfreak said:

That's not what I think when he said SPLASH.  More like a drip

In hindsight, no it really wasnt. But we were crowned the offseason champs from that. So obviously it had to have been seen as flashy at the time. 

In the grand scheme of things, I see that as a cautionary tale about how bad free agent spending sprees can blow up in your face. 

1 hour ago, Vinatieri4 said:

The 89% rule does not apply to a single season, but rather a span of four years. Therefore, it doesn't matter if the Colts  spend less than 89% in 2017, or if they spend less than 89% in 2018. By the end of the 2020 season, though, the cumulative spending from 2017-2020 must be at least 89%. Therefore, if the Colts spend very little in 2017 and 2018, in order to meet the requirement in 2020, they would have been basically forced to spend a lot of money in 2019 and 2020.

So in other words, Irsay gets to fill his pockets with more $$$ than the Marlins owner?.

I think in mlb, you have to spend at least so much every season. I think mlb put that rule in specifically for teams like the marlins. The marlins were one of the most profitable teams every year because of guarnteed revenue and a ridiculously low payroll.

3 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

So in other words, Irsay gets to fill his pockets with more $$$ than the Marlins owner?.

I think in mlb, you have to spend at least so much every season. I think mlb put that rule in specifically for teams like the marlins. The marlins were one of the most profitable teams every year because of guarnteed revenue and a ridiculously low payroll.

Nope. You completely missed the point. 

47 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

14 million for jeffrey for one season?   

I'd give him 12.5 and my guess would be he would have accepted it if we offered that. Maybe we offered it... idk. But if he is betting on himself, Luck would be the QB to do it with. 

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

You cant not spend most of the salary cap though he will have to do something.

So true.  Oh wait, the browns and 49'ers had $90 - $100M to spend. That just can`t be because you have to spend most of your cap.  Do some reading James.

36 minutes ago, coltsfanmilyman said:

the year he went bonkers signing heramans, Johnson, gore, dqwell, cole. . . . and look whos left. 

Not one of those is a top free agent. All were 30+. That's why they didn't pan out. Old and slow. Gore is just a monster. He still isn't the biggest splash. Going bonkers would be what the giants did last year. Or what the Jags have been doing. 

4 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Drafting Luck.   Because that was the splash

Grigson did not get any credit for drafting Luck.

Throw that aside he did bring in the players to take this team to a 11-5 season and back into the playoffs after a 3-13 season.

He also was down 39 million in dead cap money when starting.

He also brought Reggie Wayne back and you nor anyone else can say that wasn't smart.

Grigson lost his job because he couldn't maintain talent, not because he did or didn't make a "SPLASH".

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Like him or not Grigson made one great big "SPLASH" his first year.

A big enough "SPLASH" to earn GM of the year.

Yeah,  drafting luck was a super tough decision.    I give him far more credit for the Hilton pick

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Throw that aside he did bring in the players to take this team to a 11-5 season and back into the playoffs after a 3-13 season.

He also brought Reggie Wayne back and you nor anyone else can say that wasn't smart.

Grigson lost his job because he couldn't maintain talent, not because he did or didn't make a "SPLASH".

He sucked at evaluating talent,  That's why he was fired...

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Besides Reggie (Pagano gets that credit)  Who was the biggest splash in FA he brought in that year?

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,  drafting luck was a super tough decision.    I give him far more credit for the Hilton pick

Drafting Luck was a no brainer but throwing that out he did do a great job his first year.

That was my only statement concerning he never made a "SPLASH". :hat:

5 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Besides Reggie (Pagano gets that credit)  Who was the biggest splash in FA he brought in that year?

Really??  Name me any high dollar free agent that year that Grigson could have signed with 39 million in dead cap room?

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If it needs to be explained to you anymore than what I said and why I said it I would be wasting my time and mostly yours. Sorry, I am not taking your bait.

He didn't make a splash in FA  his first year.   He couldn't,  He had no money to work with.   That was a very good draft for him though

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ain't that what I said? I just worded he couldn't maintain.

Anyone can get "lucky"   I think over time it proved he didn't know how to:

A.  Take advice from his head coach

B. Evaluate players that fit the system his coaches were implementing.

He won't see a GM job again for a long time if ever.   

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I am not doubting or disagreeing with you at all. If you read what I said it was in respond to the fact that Grigson didn't make a splash. He did his first year and I am not the only one who felt that way. Just because he didn't pan out no one can take away a GM of the year.

By the way I can't think of any forum member who wasn't excited for him to be here in his first couple of years.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Ummm. Apparently you didn't hear him.   He said he's not going to explain his ridicules logic..HA

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not doubting or disagreeing with you at all. If you read what I said it was in respond to the fact that Grigson didn't make a splash. He did his first year and I am not the only one who felt that way. Just because he didn't pan out no one can take away a GM of the year.

By the way I can't think of any forum member who wasn't excited for him to be her in is first couple of years.

I never wanted him.     

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

By the way I can't think of any forum member who wasn't excited for him to be her in is first couple of years.

I don't think anyone counts draft picks as "splashes"   I have never heard anyone call a draft pick that