Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Put Yourself In Jim's Shoes

LUVTHESHOE

Well it's too late for some of it, with an OC being hired and everything. A couple of the options have been eliminated.

A free agent signing would be a possibility, not so much with the OC we hired and that isn't bashing him, just feel we've eliminated a few options.

Care to elaborate? I don't get it...

Care to elaborate? I don't get it...

You won't want to hear it :) because you might disagree with the premise.

Matt Flynn would have been a free agent option if we would have installed an OC that is well versed in the WCO, which is what Flynn has run in Green Bay. Kevin Kolb ran a version of it in Philly, and has struggled moving to a different offense in Arizona. He has been hurt, but I think it's more of a round peg/square hole situation.

Flynn moving into our current offense, or one similar to what Arians installed in Pittsburgh would be more of the same. So since we didn't fire an OC that is well versed in the WCO, I wouldn't want a QB like Matt Flynn as a possible option, because i think he would fail outside of a WCO.

Flynn will likely end up in Miami where his former OC landed.

Flynn & a OC well versed in the WCO would have been an interesting option, because at that point we could have moved the draft pick for a package, picked up additonal players that could help in the short term and moving forward, but with Arians in place, I want no part of Matt Flynn.

That is what is determine by the workouts.

I'd add to your workout. Have him start the last week of February like it's a game week: Three days of practice (throw the tree a few times, like you said, to receivers who can tell you how much velocity he's throwing with), then a day off, then a game simulation (30-40 throws to receivers, with breaks in between), then evaluate him the next day, like you would on Monday. Then have him throw the tree again two days later (first day of practice the next week). Would span eight days, total.

Then take the next couple of days to make your decision.

I'd do something like that if I was seriously considering keeping him. If I was already set on releasing him, then never mind. Let someone else work him out. Unless you really want to do good by him, you film the sessions, and then give them to his agent so other teams know what they're getting.

You won't want to hear it :) because you might disagree with the premise.

Matt Flynn would have been a free agent option if we would have installed an OC that is well versed in the WCO, which is what Flynn has run in Green Bay. Kevin Kolb ran a version of it in Philly, and has struggled moving to a different offense in Arizona. He has been hurt, but I think it's more of a round peg/square hole situation.

Flynn moving into our current offense, or one similar to what Arians installed in Pittsburgh would be more of the same. So since we didn't fire an OC that is well versed in the WCO, I wouldn't want a QB like Matt Flynn as a possible option, because i think he would fail outside of a WCO.

Flynn will likely end up in Miami where his former OC landed.

Flynn & a OC well versed in the WCO would have been an interesting option, because at that point we could have moved the draft pick for a package, picked up additonal players that could help in the short term and moving forward, but with Arians in place, I want no part of Matt Flynn.

I like the way you think. Some people would just say "we can bring this guy in and that guy in and it will work because they're both great guys!" I like that you actually consider the match, or mismatch, in this case.

I don't know that Flynn couldn't work in Arians system, but I honestly don't want to do the Matt Flynn thing. Kevin Kolb and Matt Cassel have made the "backup quarterback with a good few games who then gets a $50 million contract" look bad, because neither of them have worked out very well. I would love to see Flynn buck that trend, but I don't think we should be the team to make him rich.

On top of that, I don't know why you're talking about Matt Flynn in the first place, or any other quarterback. I thought the problem was choosing between Luck and Manning. Sounds like you're talking about releasing Manning, trading the pick, and then either trading for, drafting or signing a different quarterback. You'll have to put together one heck of a sales presentation to get somebody to buy that one. Hope you know Powerpoint...

I like the way you think. Some people would just say "we can bring this guy in and that guy in and it will work because they're both great guys!" I like that you actually consider the match, or mismatch, in this case.

I don't know that Flynn couldn't work in Arians system, but I honestly don't want to do the Matt Flynn thing. Kevin Kolb and Matt Cassel have made the "backup quarterback with a good few games who then gets a $50 million contract" look bad, because neither of them have worked out very well. I would love to see Flynn buck that trend, but I don't think we should be the team to make him rich.

On top of that, I don't know why you're talking about Matt Flynn in the first place, or any other quarterback. I thought the problem was choosing between Luck and Manning. Sounds like you're talking about releasing Manning, trading the pick, and then either trading for, drafting or signing a different quarterback. You'll have to put together one heck of a sales presentation to get somebody to buy that one. Hope you know Powerpoint...

It was just my way of approaching the problem by "thinking outside the box" and kicking over every rock along the way.

It was just my way of approaching the problem by "thinking outside the box" and kicking over every rock along the way.

Assume manning is completely healthy, or close to, why couldn't manning be released, with both parties understanding to resign after the draft, drafting luck and then having written into both contracts something about sharing gametime this year (I would not promote manning staying longer after this season). Majority of players aren't on the field for every snap of the game anyway, with a learning QB and veteran, it would be ideal.....That would be my thinking outside the box.

Assume manning is completely healthy, or close to, why couldn't manning be released, with both parties understanding to resign after the draft, drafting luck and then having written into both contracts something about sharing gametime this year (I would not promote manning staying longer after this season). Majority of players aren't on the field for every snap of the game anyway, with a learning QB and veteran, it would be ideal.....That would be my thinking outside the box.

Why would Manning eve consider a contract like that? That might be too far outside the box, because there is zero chance Manning would consider that.

From July 30th, 2011..................... in an interview with The Indianapolis Star, Manning said that he had told Irsay and the team president Bill Polian that he would take less money so that the team could sign other players, and that Brady could have the title of the game’s top-paid player. He also said he never considered signing the franchise tender the Colts slapped on him in March, which would have paid him $23.1 million, for the same reason. He told Irsay and Polian he wanted the deal done by Sunday, when the team reports to training camp. Manning’s first two contracts with the Colts were worth about $146 million.

“Whether I deserve to be the highest-paid player over the next five years is irrelevant,” Manning told The Star. “I would rather them use that money and keep the players they want to keep and get other players. I told them that.”

So if all that still holds true and PM is 100% ready for next season, then why not pay him the 28 million, draft Luck and re-do PM's contract. Tell PM that you want to move forward but also you would like to keep him around for 2 more seasons. Make his contract go through 2014 and then make the switch to Luck. If PM doesn't want to do it then cut ties and let's get this Luck train rolling.

Why would Manning eve consider a contract like that? That might be too far outside the box, because there is zero chance Manning would consider that.

One would hope that Manning would consider it for the good of the future of the franchise, I would think that Peyton would/should realise that he isn't indestructible, the man is turning 36 in march, he can't count on his fitness, if it's not his neck getting hurt what about knees and shoulders? Whilst he mentally could play until he turned 90, his body is slowing down. It could be written in that in post season he gets more time per match. I believe it would be the fairest result for all.

One would hope that Manning would consider it for the good of the future of the franchise, I would think that Peyton would/should realise that he isn't indestructible, the man is turning 36 in march, he can't count on his fitness, if it's not his neck getting hurt what about knees and shoulders? Whilst he mentally could play until he turned 90, his body is slowing down. It could be written in that in post season he gets more time per match. I believe it would be the fairest result for all.

There isn't a quarterback in the NFL close to his ilk that would even consider a contract like that. That sounds an awful lot like little league baseball where every kid has to bat and play the inning in the field.

There is a better chance of the Patriots cutting Brady and signing Manning to 33 million a year, before Manning would sign the contract you propose.

If I'm Irsary....

I address the one issue we haven't addressed...our running game.

Its obvious to me Irsay plans on keeping Manning and drafting Luck (unles of course manning isn't healthy enough to play football). Everything he has said so far (with the exception of the "healthy enough to play for the colts" tweet) points to this.

Sharing gametime? No, no, no. They shouldn't even share practice time.

Manning should prepare and play exactly like he ever did..

If it were my business I would be thinking outside the box.

If the 3/8 due date was set in stone, that is when I would make my decision. I would meet with my GM/HC, and kick the tires on every possible scenario that could be an option.

Some view the simple solution is cut Manning draft Luck.

It's not that simple.

I agree fully.

However, i think we do need to draft luck.

I would just like to see manning continue to work (and hopefully improve) until 3/8.

If he's "reasonably" improved, spend the $ and take the risk. I'd risk a little cap heck for that risk if reasonable.

I'd even factor into that risk a little of the "emotional" stuff.

Peyton is/was a once in a franchise QB. I feel luck is (potentially) also.

I just wish we knew more of a prognosis for peyton's "health" , specifically the nerve regeneration.

This would be so much easier i think.

I agree fully.

However, i think we do need to draft luck.

I would just like to see manning continue to work (and hopefully improve) until 3/8.

If he's "reasonably" improved, spend the $ and take the risk. I'd risk a little cap heck for that risk if reasonable.

I'd even factor into that risk a little of the "emotional" stuff.

Peyton is/was a once in a franchise QB. I feel luck is (potentially) also.

I just wish we knew more of a prognosis for peyton's "health" , specifically the nerve regeneration.

This would be so much easier i think.

That is one way of looking at it and a few months ago, I felt that could be the likely scenario even with the less than ideal cash & cap issues it would cause. The past few weeks I'd put a Manning/Luck combo in the single digits I were to a % of likelihood on it.