Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sign Kap to backup Luck?

7 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Luck's out & we're relying on Tolzien, I'm really not seeing any upside to that scenario.

It's not ideal, but you've decided we can't win either of the first two games, and we haven't even had a preseason game yet. 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Teams also aren't paying players to beat women, yet some of them who have are still on rosters.

And it may be "negative attention" in your opinion.  In my opinion, it was positive attention.

So if it was all positive attention then why did he get cut and is still unsigned?

9 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Most jobs also don't let you get away with beating your spouse/getting arrested multiple times, yet these players always seem to find a home in the league.  It's a nonsense double standard.  Kaep did nothing wrong.  In my eyes, he shined attention to a much needed discussion we should be having as a country.

Double Standard, how so?  You already mentioned that one is against the law, and folks get arrested.  The judicial system meats out any punishment as warranted.  Once that is decided, then serving that punishment (judicial and /or NFL) follows.

These days (thank you Mr, Rice... and others that have video or paid off their opponents) the league itself also investigates and will dole out punishment if it feels the party is fairly well > 50% guilty; regardless of court rulings  They take their time too, investigating, punishing, and/or ending punishment.  {for just two examples of such- See Ezekiel Elliot, and also Martavis Bryant}  So judicial system, and/or the NFL itself handles that business.

What Kaepernick did was not illegal, thus the Judicial system, nor the league has any official business there.  OTOH, what he did was also disrespectful, and distasteful to many others as well.  it is also their free speech to publicly condemn an action, and deem other/better avenues could have been used to perform the original intended (protest) goal. 

Now the protesters of the protest are not doing anything illegal either.  And if they stop watching games in person and TV (thus Ads), then they get their opinion across just as loudly as a player in the spotlight did showing his. And it is not illegal either,  Now you have public controversy.  I admit, teams like to be talked about.  Cowboys and their recent 'bad guys' are an example.  But the courts and league handle the details of the mess while the cowboys trundle along in the media spotlight.

With Kaep, it is different.  Some people will stop spending money, and others will get vocal on radio, social media, etc in opposition as well.  This is not the type of 'talking about' that clubs/owners desire.  This is controversial talk and actions and doesn't add to the bottom line.

People have free speech and the government can't do anything about that which is not illegal.  But other citizens can. And sometimes do.  Others can protest him, join in, or back away from the fray altogether.  Seems to me coaches etc (at least a few) don't mind getting in there and getting dirty (looking to sign Kaepernick).  But others higher on the food chain appear to be resistant, and they are in the position to decide.  None have relented as yet to pull the trigger.

When / if enough time passes, he may well be picked up.  But who knows when/if that will happen, and if he is still in a position to play at a high level.  It seems some feel if one is more talented than another, they-must-get the position.  But folks forget about the intangibles.  It has recently been shown that they can overcome talent as far as employment in the NFL.  New reality.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

It's not ideal, but you've decided we can't win either of the first two games, and we haven't even had a preseason game yet. 

With Tolzien it's hard not to view the Rams game as an L, their front 7 is just so good, and Wade Phillips will have them firing on all cylinders. And while the Cleveland game is at home, they picked up a lot of talented players this offseason, and that game won't be easy. Best case scenario would be a 1-1 start IMO. Hopefully Luck gets cleared, and makes all this a moot point, but I'm just going to assume he's out for the first couple until I hear otherwise.

8 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

With Tolzien it's hard not to view the Rams game as an L, their front 7 is just so good, and Wade Phillips will have them firing on all cylinders. And while the Cleveland game is at home, they picked up a lot of talented players this offseason, and that game won't be easy. Best case scenario would be a 1-1 start IMO. Hopefully Luck gets cleared, and makes all this a moot point, but I'm just going to assume he's out for the first couple until I hear otherwise.

It's worse than you think, because the Colts play the Cardinals Week 2, not the Browns...

I'm no fan of Tolzien. I just don't want to write him off at this point. I might sound totally different Monday.

20 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The owners make money off selling their fans a product. When a player draws negative attention to their team not only does the team lose money the fans of that team becomes negative.

I guess Marshawn Lynch will be cut soon.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:24 PM, Superman said:

It's worse than you think, because the Colts play the Cardinals Week 2, not the Browns...

I'm no fan of Tolzien. I just don't want to write him off at this point. I might sound totally different Monday.

And?

4 hours ago, BR-549 said:

And?

I'm not encouraged. I'm not any more concerned about Tolzien, though. He didn't play long enough.

What gives me concern is that I don't like the approach from the coaching staff. They treated him like he's an entrenched starter who doesn't need reps to be properly evaluated and coached up. No urgency, IMO. I would have liked to see him play the whole first quarter, get a bunch of reps, have a chance to adjust, get in a rhythm, etc. Instead, they yanked him after three short series like he's good to go. 

Whether he can handle the job or not, I'm in the same place I was before -- I don't have enough information. He didn't look bad, but he didn't look good either. But I don't have confidence that this coaching staff will get him ready, if in fact he has to start early on. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not encouraged. I'm not any more concerned about Tolzien, though. He didn't play long enough.

What gives me concern is that I don't like the approach from the coaching staff. They treated him like he's an entrenched starter who doesn't need reps to be properly evaluated and coached up. No urgency, IMO. I would have liked to see him play the whole first quarter, get a bunch of reps, have a chance to adjust, get in a rhythm, etc. Instead, they yanked him after three short series like he's good to go. 

Whether he can handle the job or not, I'm in the same place I was before -- I don't have enough information. He didn't look bad, but he didn't look good either. But I don't have confidence that this coaching staff will get him ready, if in fact he has to start early on. 

Good assessment.  

I thought they would give him a little more time too....... why not?  He needs it.  He looked nervous to me and never really seemed to be comfortable at all.  Understood why though, the OL wasn't exactly doing any of the QB's any favors.  Will keep fingers crossed that we don't lose any lineman for the regular season, there just is not much depth there and its obvious to everyone.

Back to Tolzien, I don't think he is our answer at b/u QB (or starter while AL finishes his rehab).  I hope as most are hoping that Luck gets healthy and does it sooner rather than later.  With all the speculation and arguments for and against ST, I think it is a reach to think he is capable of scoring enough points to win games.  I think he can "play" and I think he is able to move the ball between the 30's lets say, but getting it in the end zone is a problem which becomes the reason we will not be able win many (if any) games with him running the offense.  I hope I am wrong.

16 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Good assessment.  

I thought they would give him a little more time too....... why not?  He needs it.  He looked nervous to me and never really seemed to be comfortable at all.  Understood why though, the OL wasn't exactly doing any of the QB's any favors.  Will keep fingers crossed that we don't lose any lineman for the regular season, there just is not much depth there and its obvious to everyone.

Back to Tolzien, I don't think he is our answer at b/u QB (or starter while AL finishes his rehab).  I hope as most are hoping that Luck gets healthy and does it sooner rather than later.  With all the speculation and arguments for and against ST, I think it is a reach to think he is capable of scoring enough points to win games.  I think he can "play" and I think he is able to move the ball between the 30's lets say, but getting it in the end zone is a problem which becomes the reason we will not be able win many (if any) games with him running the offense.  I hope I am wrong.

That's probably fair, based on his performance against the Steelers. While the team as a whole didn't perform well, good QBs get points in the red zone. Tolzien's offense failed to do so over and over. Again, not all his fault, but the playmaking ability isn't there, clearly.

I also thought he looked nervous, especially on the play where he was sacked. He tucked the ball down and started running around frantically, with no plan to get out of trouble. Not poised at all. 

Kaep is 3-16 in his last 19 starts. I know its a team game, but if Kaep was a good QB, he would have more than 3 wins in almost 20 games.

Any QB who is 3-16 in their last 19 starts, would have a hard time finding a home, especially one who has some baggage on top of it.

BTW I think its safe to say that Marshawn Lynch and Michael Bennett destroyed any narritive of Kaep being black balled, as both of them did it and still have jobs because they are good football players, unlike Kaep.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wow.......

Another series of incredibly dark foolish posts.      Your life must be beyond terrible these days.     I'm sorry that's happening for you.      I hope things get better soon.

You do realize Kap has broken no laws.     Not federal or state or local or even in the NFL.      All he has is an unpopular opinion.       That's it.    

Dark cloud over the NFL?      Complete hogwash.

But for his unpopular opinion you hope he never gets a job in the NFL again.     Not sure you even realize how completely un-American that is?         Denying people a chance to work in their livlihood is about as un-American as it gets.

Free Speech,  is only free and protected when unpopular speech is protected.     When unpopular speech is protected then EVERYONE'S free speech rights are protected.      Punishing someone over an unpopular viewpoint is an horrific thing to do to anyone......

I seriously can't believe some of the hot, boiling crap people spew sometimes. 

On 8/10/2017 at 1:27 PM, dudley dawson said:

In my eyes, he shined attention to a much needed discussion we should be having as a country.

And this is the entire problem I have with his personality, and how the NFL seems to be trending.  I don't think he should use his visibility as a player...which is provided by the popularity of his employer's product.....to promote a cause.  If he has something to say, say it on his own time, regardless of what the message is.  This alone would discourage me from employing someone in a visible position, because I would never know when he would use his on air screen time for personal gain.

The idea that he's unsigned because of the content of his message is not correct, IMO.  The likable players are the ones who consistently stick to business when on camera, for the most part. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I seriously can't believe some of the hot, boiling crap people spew sometimes. 

That's actually true.  The entire point of the first amendment is precisely to protect speech that may be unpopular or offensive.  You don't need an Amendment to protect speech everyone likes.

Protected from government harassment.  Employers can set whatever policy they want to within reason.

Back to football......

• Nadine locked this topic

When the NFL and politics cross paths, it is a challenge to maintain our no politics and no personal shots and no inflammatory comments rules.  

My thanks to those who posted thoughtfully.  To those who did not, I ask you to consider more carefully before you click the submit reply button.

I've removed several more posts. This thread has run it's course and is now closed.