Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sign Kap to backup Luck?

19 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Says who???  I have yet to hear Kaep say anything about playing for a bargain basement price.  I have heard he has come down from his 1st string QB money he wanted but nothing about a vet minimum he would get as a short term back-up.  Show me your resource....

Sources close to him, believe I heard Shannon Sharpe say this on Undisputed recently.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaep doesn't even fit in 99% of the offenses in the NFL. QB option is his biggest strength and NFL QB's that run the ball get hurt. And secondly, if people won't buy a ticket to the movie you're making because actor x, y or z are in it you have to find another actor if you don't want to lose money.

3 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

Kaep is willing to play for a bargain basement price.  He just wants a team to give him a chance to compete for the backup job.

25 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Sources close to him, believe I heard Shannon Sharpe say this on Undisputed recently.

Kaepernick opted out of his 49'ers contract.
His exit saved the front office $14.5 million in base salary based on what he would have earned through the restructured contract he signed the prior year.

Near the end of May - Seahawks didn't sign him because the two sides were far apart on the money aspect
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2713471-colin-kaepernick-seahawks-contract-reportedly-didnt-happen-because-of-money

Neither of the above points to him playing for a low bid just because he still doesn't have a gig in the NFL...
I just don't buy it. I need more substance to back the claim.  All I saw  was Shannon Sharp saying he wasn't asking 9-10 million, yet Seahawks say the sides were FAR apart in money... Hmmm....

Just now, WERC82 said:

Kaep doesn't even fit in 99% of the offenses in the NFL. QB option is his biggest strength and NFL QB's that run the ball get hurt. And secondly, if people won't buy a ticket to the movie you're making because actor x, y or z are in it you have to find another actor if you don't want to lose money.

There's no way around the fact that he is head and shoulders above Tolzien. No matter how many ways there are to spin this into "he's a bad fit," or "he's a distraction," the reality is we'd have a better chance of winning football games if he was under center than we would with Tolzien or Morris.

I will say that it's a little late for that though. He would've needed to be brought in at the beginning of OTAs, at the latest. It's way past the time to try to get a guy off the street up to speed with the terminology and execution of a new offensive scheme. Hopefully, all of this is a moot point if Luck suits up week 1, but in the event that he isn't able to, and we could go back in time to the beginning of OTAs, I'd take my chances on bringing Kap in.

11 minutes ago, WERC82 said:

I'm more inclined to buy a ticket with Kaep playing than Tolzien.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Then you would be in a minority.

Well sometimes the minority's right, and in this particular instance, I'm perfectly fine with being on that side of the equation, because there's no way Tolzien is a better quarterback than Kaepernick. He can't even move the ball against our new look defense in practice, how do you think he's gonna look on the road against the Rams and Wade Phillips come week 1 (assuming Luck isn't cleared)?

Unfortunately it's way too late to bring in Kap and get him up to speed, so we're stuck with what we have. I hope the fans like iNTs and incompletions, because there's going to be a lot of them with Tolzien or Morris at the helm.

13 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Well sometimes the minority's right, and in this particular instance, I'm perfectly fine with being on that side of the equation, because there's no way Tolzien is a better quarterback than Kaepernick. He can't even move the ball against our new look defense in practice, how do you think he's gonna look on the road against the Rams and Wade Phillips come week 1 (assuming Luck isn't cleared)?

Unfortunately it's way too late to bring in Kap and get him up to speed, so we're stuck with what we have. I hope the fans like iNTs and incompletions, because there's going to be a lot of them with Tolzien or Morris at the helm.

I would agree and disagree.

I would agree and say people can complain but the negativity would die down the first good game he has.  Fans are going to be fans so if a player does well the support will be there.

I disagree and say that any QB who has been in league for a few years can pick-up an offense somewhat quick or they are out of the league (Kaep was not do to this reason).  We would scale the play book down for him obviously, but giving him 4 pre-season games to me would be a good amount of time to get some timing and understanding down.  The question is has he been preparing for football everyday and staying in playing shape.

Again, I like to reiterate that I am not campaigning for us to sign Kaep, and I believe Ballard is fine with everything because he knows Luck will play. 

If you're going to be bad... its best to be REALLY bad. Id rather Luck need to sit out the first 6 games to get to full strength, forget about playoffs this year and instead focus on developing talent. If talent IS developed, make the push next season. If talent is not being developed, get rid of the current coaching staff, get another draft class with talent in here and work from there.

Kap's personal views notwithstanding: He gets us 1 more win than Tolzien/Scott would, but thats not enough. He'd be a 1 year rental here at MOST, and he'd be off to another team/elsewhere. Id rather NOT have that 1 win and possibly get better talent going forward

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Well can we all at least concede that we'll likely start 0-2 again then?

To be fair, even with a healthy Luck playing, I wouldn't like our chances vs the Rams on the road.  They always seem to have our number.  If Tolzien starts, I give us about a 1% chance of winning.

9 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

To be fair, even with a healthy Luck playing, I wouldn't like our chances vs the Rams on the road.  They always seem to have our number.  If Tolzien starts, I give us about a 1% chance of winning.

How do they always have our number? They beat us once. 

Right now, I'm sticking to a timetable for Luck I set for myself (based upon realistic possibilities and dashed with a drop of hope) a long time ago when I found out what type of surgery he had and when .  I think it's still a possibility Luck comes off the PUP sometime before or around 8/28.  Then he gets in a weeks of drills with the Teams #1's to develop timing/accuracy.  The following week he and Chud install the L.A. game plan and practice it that week.  Then he plays week one.  I have not seen, read, nor heard anything that has moved me off from this position... yet.

I have also mentioned many times in multiple previous posts that the story will unfold at the end of this month. action, or inaction will let everybody in on the 'secret' at that point.

19 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Well can we all at least concede that we'll likely start 0-2 again then?

I would not right us off so early.  We could still easily go 2-0.  Plus Luck might not miss a game.  Regardless I would not be so negative and hope for a 2-0 start regardless of the situation.

18 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

he protested at work in front of paying customers.  thats why hes unemployed

i dont know of many jobs that let employees get away with that, no matter what the cause is

he also wasnt very good last year.  yes he was on a bad team, but the bad teams are the ones that would be interested in him. 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

he protested at work in front of paying customers.  thats why hes unemployed

i dont know of many jobs that let employees get away with that, no matter what the cause is

he also wasnt very good last year.  yes he was on a bad team, but the bad teams are the ones that would be interested in him. 

Most jobs also don't let you get away with beating your spouse/getting arrested multiple times, yet these players always seem to find a home in the league.  It's a nonsense double standard.  Kaep did nothing wrong.  In my eyes, he shined attention to a much needed discussion we should be having as a country.

1 hour ago, dudley dawson said:

Most jobs also don't let you get away with beating your spouse/getting arrested multiple times, yet these players always seem to find a home in the league.  It's a nonsense double standard.  Kaep did nothing wrong.  In my eyes, he shined attention to a much needed discussion we should be having as a country.

star players get away with more, its true

for example, mike vick did far FAR worse, but he was a transcendent talent that still holds a bunch of records today

kap went like 1-10 and was benched last year. 

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

If Luck's out & we're relying on Tolzien, I'm really not seeing any upside to that scenario.

If Luck is out for any significant amount of time, this team is much closer to a 5 win team, than a 10 win team and it'll likely start at 0-2. 

The more I do the math on this and really think about it, I'm bracing myself for a disappointing season.

I gotta stop worrying about this for awhile. There's nothing I can do about it and I could be totally wrong.

50 minutes ago, The Fish said:

If Luck is out for any significant amount of time, this team is much closer to a 5 win team, than a 10 win team and it'll likely start at 0-2. 

The more I do the math on this and really think about it, I'm bracing myself for a disappointing season.

I gotta stop worrying about this for awhile. There's nothing I can do about it and I could be totally wrong.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, I quit worrying about it and just going to see how it plays out. If Luck plays on opening day I think we win, if he doesn't probably not but we could still win. It's not like we are playing the Pats or Steelers. I am hoping the Defense is much better, on paper it looks to be.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, I quit worrying about it and just going to see how it plays out. If Luck plays on opening day I think we win, if he doesn't probably not but we could still win. It's not like we are playing the Pats or Steelers. I am hoping the Defense is much better, on paper it looks to be.

I agree with you 100%.  The only thing that makes me nervous is if Luck can't go, Tolzien has never won an NFL game before.  On the flip side, it's against the Rams.  I know they have a tough defense but it's a winnable game if the Colts D shows up.  Hopefully there better this year.  I am hoping Luck's ready to go.  I still do think it's quite time to freak out about him missing games.  Just my opinion tho!

Just now, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I agree with you 100%.  The only thing that makes me nervous is if Luck can't go, Tolzien has never won an NFL game before.  On the flip side, it's against the Rams.  I know they have a tough defense but it's a winnable game if the Colts D shows up.  Hopefully there better this year.  I am hoping Luck's ready to go.  I still do think it's quite time to freak out about him missing games.  Just my opinion tho!

No doubt if the Defense shows up and Tolzien doesn't turn it over, we could win a low scoring game. Their Offense stinks, so who knows.

40 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

Jared Goff is going to go off (goff?) against our D (something like 300 yards and 3 TDs).  I'm calling it now.  Our defense stinks until proven otherwise.

9 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

Jared Goff is going to go off (goff?) against our D (something like 300 yards and 3 TDs).  I'm calling it now.  Our defense stinks until proven otherwise.

It's hard to disagree with you because we haven't seen the defense in game action yet.  I'd like to think the defense will be better this year than last.   A few decent free agency pick ups and some good draft picks should help but being better on paper doesn't convert to being better on the field. I guess we'll see.  Best case scenario is obviously for Luck to play. 

3 hours ago, dudley dawson said:

On the flip side the 49ers were not paying him to do what he did. He was being paid to play football, not draw attention to himself and negative attention to his team.

28 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

I suspect Gurley will be the one going off if the Rams offense miraculously goes off.  

JGoff might be worse than Tolzien at this point.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

On the flip side the 49ers were not paying him to do what he did. He was being paid to play football, not draw attention to himself and negative attention to his team.

Teams also aren't paying players to beat women, yet some of them who have are still on rosters.

And it may be "negative attention" in your opinion.  In my opinion, it was positive attention.