Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rapoport: Colts and Eagles making strong push for Alshon Jeffery (Merged)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Agreed

2 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

This just looks like an Eagles fan tweeting to me.

He has 30K followers and is followed by some big name reporters. I don't know what his reputation for insider info is, though. Possible he's just speculating.

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

We haven't brought in any good wrs in their prime either

I mean, we've had Donnie Avery and DHB. They were in their prime. But whether they were good is up for opinion. Donnie had his best season in the Colts uniform and DHB wasn't good. Alston Jeffery would definitely shake things up a bit I think, though.

• SteelCityColt changed the title to Rapoport: Colts and Eagles making strong push for Alshon Jeffery (Merged)
36 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

No, Dorsett is garbage. Here's Matthews stats:

2014: 872 yds 

2015: 997 yds

2016: 800 yds

Mind you his QBs have been Mark Sanchez, Nick Foles, and Sam Bradford. He's an underrated receiver who would blossom under Luck. He's probably better than Moncrief.

Never said anything bout dorsett being good lol, but coming from somebody who watches every eagles game dude is trash, nowhere near as skilled as moncrief 

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

That is really not how the NFL contracts work typically.  Pay attention to the guaranteed amount not the term.  NFL contracts are usually written for the players to be able to be cut after year 3 at the latest.

Uhhhh never heard that before.Good grief!
 3 yrs of production at those $$$$ IS long term in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Uhhhh never heard that before.Good grief!
 3 yrs of production at those $$$$ IS long term in the NFL.

You are assuming that the three year salary at 14.5 is all guaranteed.  My point was, don't. 

6 minutes ago, PhillyCOLTSfan said:

Matthews is garbage he 6'3 can only play slot and only makes plays in garbage time when the game is out of reach 

No, Dorsett is garbage. Here's Matthews stats:

2014: 872 yds 

2015: 997 yds

2016: 800 yds

Mind you his QBs have been Mark Sanchez, Nick Foles, and Sam Bradford. He's an underrated receiver who would blossom under Luck. He's probably better than Moncrief.

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Another big WR would be nice, though. Maybe Ballard is thinking about trading again?

Not sure how true the reports are..... but it's floating around that Mr. Ballard is the least impressed with a former 1st round WR out of Miami 

12 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

You are assuming that the three year salary at 14.5 is all guaranteed.  My point was, don't. 

I`m not assuming anything about the guaranteed $$$.
 We are trying to build a SB contender and we are at least 2 years or more away from having a team like that. IMO. Next season will be a Getting to Know You/our system year.
 So yes, sign a guy that can EARN his Big contract when our team can compete.

Do i like the odds, for the $$$ likely spent on him? NO!
 Please let the Bears pay him and bite the .... ...!

It's not that I wouldn't love to have Jeffrey, however, we don't have any defense in Indy and putting all the money into the offense and only hoping the defense just improves is the same tactic we've used for years. The team need to drastically address this defense first and then worry about offensive stars. We did it with Polian, did it with Grigson and if we do it with Ballard, it's on Irsay that we say we want a defense yet spend mostly on offense. Allow Luck to make his players better, don't spend top dollars on WR's. 

It could just be him going with more money. But does anybody else think, if some guys are indeed choosing certain teams over us, that Pags possible lame duck situation has anything to do with us seemingly dropping out of the running for guys?

Obviously it could just be the money.

And I know Pags' technically isn't a lame duck, but let's not act like Irsay didn't say this was an evaluation year for him.

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

Anybody else think, if some guys are indeed choosing certain teams over us, that Pags possible lame duck situation has anything to do with this?

And before I get the tired "he's not a lameduck" response, let's not act like Irsay didn't say this was an evaluation year for him.

Free agents are looking for money.   If stability was an issue,  The jags and Brown's would never land free agents

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

because one guy picked another team over the Colts?

If Ballard is disappointing fans in Free Agency an hour and a half before it even begins, he's doing fine by me.

The long term success of this franchise won't be bought in Day 1 of Free Agency.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Free agents are looking for money.   If stability was an issue,  The jags and Brown's would never land free agents

Yeah, I just edited my post because I agree, money is more likely a factor. Otherwise it'd be strange to me, Alshon going with the Eagles over us. We've got familiarity in Ballard, a great QB in Luck.

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I`m not assuming anything about the guaranteed $$$.
 We are trying to build a SB contender and we are at least 2 years or more away from having a team like that. IMO. Next season will be a Getting to Know You/our system year.
 So yes, sign a guy that can EARN his Big contract when our team can compete.

Do i like the odds, for the $$$ likely spent on him? NO!
 Please let the Bears pay him and bite the .... ...!

Then what's your point?  I was just pointing out that this big money is not really all that long of a commitment.  Moot point it seems anyway.

What exactly are you referring to with "Getting to know you/our system year?  The coaching staff hasn't changed at all.  Are you insinuating that the players, GM, and coaching staff need a year to gel?  That makes no sense. 

The Colts will not be competing for a Super Bowl next year true, but you can't necessarily chose to wait because what if a player like Jeffrey is not available when you are "ready" to contend?  Free agency is fluid and if you have  a chance to add talent and it makes sense then you should, IMO.

23 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah, I just edited my post because I agree, money is more likely a factor. Otherwise it'd be strange to me, Alshon going with the Eagles over us. We've got familiarity in Ballard, a great QB in Luck.

I believe the Eagles have Alshon's old WR coach from the Bears.  So there's familiarity there, too.

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

so absolutely every move we make has to be defense?

I don't think anyone has said that.

I do think there is a healthy contingent of the fan base that believes every BIG move the Colts make should be defense. That's not unreasonable.

Way too many people around here operating under all-or-nothing assumptions.

1 minute ago, Boiler_Colt said:

No but $15 million a year for another WR would severely limit how much you could spend on impact D players.

thats too much, but the top tier defenders are coming off the market fast anyway.  i dont think we are landing AJ but it was worth a look. 

1 hour ago, TKnight24 said:

Not sure how true the reports are..... but it's floating around that Mr. Ballard is the least impressed with a former 1st round WR out of Miami 

Yep...Reggie's career in the media has been substandard so far to say the least....sure ain't no Jeff Saturday that's for sure.

2 hours ago, PhillyCOLTSfan said:

U must be talking bout a different moncrief dude scored a td every game he played in fully how is tht not a beast, when he on the field 

Ty Hilton is a BEAST. The I think Dontae has the tools to be a "Beast" - but has not reached that level yet. Look I get it, he's caught a decent amount of touchdowns. The guy has played 9 games this season, he's only averaging 33 yards a game with 3 catches. If that's a BEAST then you need to do some more digging on true "Beast" nfl players.