Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Perry [Merge]

18 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Not sure how good Perry is? Will watch some tape of him but I do know a don't want the Colts to overpay for a guy who is OK because hes the best thats left. I would rather bring Waldon back cheap and draft a guy with talent than over pay for a guy who isn't wroth it.

perry is better than walden.  if we are choosing between the two, id take perry.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree 100% on the salary cap. We're wasting years of Andrew's prime playing it safe with cheap FAs that don't work out. Insanity is trying the same thing and expecting different results.

Salary cap doesn't win championships. Ask the Browns and the Jags.

40 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Bouye has improved every year in the league I would go get him if possible cause believe it or not he is an upgrade over our current number two CB.

Definitely better than our #2, but I wouldn't overpay for him with the CB talent in this year's draft.

33 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If you spend the lions share on three players and you need 8 that doesn't fix anything

THIS.

7 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Salary cap doesn't win championships. Ask the Browns and the Jags.

Ask the Saints how that's going. They're in cap hell because they dove in on a few high priced free agents and back loaded their contracts. The Browns and Jags have so much cap space because they typically draft terribly, so they don't have too many of their own that they need to re-sign. Those teams are also the ones that use that immense cap space on the high priced guys. Blowing your cap space on a few guys with no regard to the future is a terrible idea.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

What I'd like to know from our technical  X - O folks... what is our defensive scheme / identity?  How often do we run a 30 front... or a 40 front?  How often do we play zone?  How often are we man to man?  Quarters? two deep man under? Sky, Cloud, Zone blitz, Robber?

Is Bouye a Nickel corner, a Slot corner, or outside corner?  Does his tape show he does the things our defense tries to do?

These are the things I need to know before I wholeheartedly 'sign off' on endorsing a guy.

Last thing I want is spending huge sums of money and getting the next Alterraun Verner...

Pass rushers is a little easier to swallow, and they are even harder to find so chances there sometimes have to be made.  But I'd really love ti that our scout could find those gems and get them on the team for rookie contracts instead of spending huge in FA.  A team can only only go to that well very few times before they've pushed all in and are then just hoping for the best.

We play in the nickel a lot, mostly man coverage. I think Bouye fits in good. Would be our #1 over Vontae imo.  & I think if the Texans get Romo, Bouye will leave. If not I think there's a good chance he stays. 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

How often do teams excel with 5 rookie starters?

You are not going to fill every hole with greathe or good players in one season we will get 2 or 3 good rookies the other 2 or 3 will be stop gap young guys from the draft 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

seems like there is a lot of reluctance to spend in here

when you have cap space, you use it.  what else is it good for?

No one has a problem using it...its what we use it on that causes people heartburn. Most want to pay our own guys to reward their work and incentivize the younger draft picks. Since we don't have many of those (we took care of Doyle) I think extending Moncrief and Mewhort will be priorities. I think it comes down to dropping all our money on a few pieces rather than spreading it out. I'll use the example of a car. Sure we could drop a big ol 454 big block engine in our car but if we don't spend the proper money on adequate tires or breaks or headlights or windshield wipers than your car isn't going to perform all that well and you will just end up with wasted power if your tires can only grip so much torque or you out drive your headlights. Our defense has a lot of missing parts. Best to save on that big engine and maybe put something like a small block 327 in and afford to put on appropriate tires and breaks etc so that your car is running optimally. (PS I know very little about cars...this could be an awful analogy lol). So in our instance we may have lots of cap space....but also lots more needs...so if we spend it all on a few players we won't be able to address the other significant holes on the team. I think we are just trying to get this team running efficiently....and hope we can add the big fancy upgrades in the draft where it will be cheaper.

21 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

perry is better than walden.  if we are choosing between the two, id take perry.

Yep...and younger...and was a first rd pick. Maybe it just took time for him to develop but clearly he had the measurables and tape in college to be thought highly of...some just are slower figuring it out...but it does appear he is doing so.

11 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You draft the other 5 

You don't fill roster holes in the draft, that leads to reaching for needs. You fill holes in your roster with mostly mid-level free agents, then draft BPA.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We were?

I never saw that......

I know many fans wanted us to go after them....      but never saw the "front runner" rumors at all....

Here's a link regarding an article about that. It isn't much but it's something I guess

http://fansided.com/2015/03/05/colts-emerging-front-runner-ndamukong-suh-greg-hardy/

6 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Here's a link regarding an article about that. It isn't much but it's something I guess

http://fansided.com/2015/03/05/colts-emerging-front-runner-ndamukong-suh-greg-hardy/

Thanks.     Appreciate that.

I guess this is another feather in the cap for Jason Cole.    I believe he's pretty consistently wrong on the Colts....

But at least you found a story.....      good find!

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I'd rather put the money on the pass rusher since he can elevate the secondary better than the other way.

Maybe   but if you have good to great corners they can cover on the quick passing attacks that most teams (other than the Colts) use now.    As it is now they have to play 10 yards off to keep from getting run by

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

seems like there is a lot of reluctance to spend in here

when you have cap space, you use it.  what else is it good for?

Down to about 38 million now....   they still need to figure out Butler and what they are going to do with Turbin,   Next yr you have players coming into contract, so you cant spend it all this year.  Yes we will get a pretty good bump next yr, but still. 

If they do want 1 or 2 FA's they can do it,  but players like Bouye is going to get 12ish and Zeitler wants 12 from what I have heard.  Perry's value is at 8.5  Butler may get 4ish Turbin 1  that would take us to 37.5million  spent on just those players

3 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Right now it's all just rumor and it happens every year. Remember when we were "front runners" to sign Suh and Greg Hardy a few years back?

And Larry Fitzgerald. Every year the Colts are linked to the top FA.

50 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

How much does each cost? A Mercedes is better than a Toyota but both get you to the same place!

I have a feeling this is one of those things that sounded better in your head. ;)

http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-rumors-browns-colts-falcons-jets-steelers/

If this is true and Ballard lands these guys and re-signs Butler and Turbin...combine with the re-signing of Doyle and the trading for a 4th for Allen....that's a HUGE offseason....

If the draft went right and we land say an edge, ilb, and cb in first 3 rds using the 4th rd to get TE, RB, and maybe a lineman on either side of the ball....dang that's a heck of a job. I know its long way from happening but it would be interesting.

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The Colts still have almost 50m in cap space. 47m or so, to be precise. 

Here is a breakdown. And it has Doyle at 6.33 million per year.     There are lots of things that aren't considered in the breakdowns that you see on line.    This guy is a numbers guru on another site   

$167.000m = NFL 2017 Salary Cap
$006.614m = 2016 Unused 2016 Colts Cap
=======
$173.614m = 2017 Colts Salary Cap

$114.292m = Current Top 51 Player Cap Hits
$001.080m = Adding players #52 and #53 to Player Cap Hits
$006.224m = Estimated 2017 Colts Draft Pool Cap Hits
$001.376m = Dead Money
$001.224m = Practice Squad ($7,200 per week x 10 players x 17 weeks)
=======
$124.196m = Current Cap Obligations

$49.418m Free Cap Space

Need to take away about $3.000m for in-season "churn" space for when a player goes on IR and a player from the practice squad is "brought up" to the active roster.  

We don't yet know the structure of Jack Doyle's new contract. If we assume that it is pretty straight line, then subtract $6.333m in available cap space.

$40.085m in Free Cap Space to sign new free agents.

47 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

I have a feeling this is one of those things that sounded better in your head. ;)

Nope point is HOW GOOD is Perry?? Is he that much better than Waldon??  I PERSONALLY would not throw ELITE PASS RUSHER MONEY at a guy who isn't elite or because he is the best guy available in free agency! .

3 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Nope point is HOW GOOD is Perry?? Is he that much better than Waldon??  I PERSONALLY would not throw ELITE PASS RUSHER MONEY at a guy who isn't elite or because he is the best guy available in free agency! .

and I get and agree with all that...I just don't think it jives with the Mercedes/Toyota analogy.

They are both guaranteed to get you to your destination barring a breakdown. We're not guaranteed to get to our destination (a superbowl) with Perry or Walden even if neither of them has a breakdown (injury).

bottom line, I agree with you...I just don't think that analogy works :)

6 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I liked what I saw from the 6 or so GB games I watched last year but I am also a bit leary.... With opposing offenses focusing on Mathews and Peppers there are not a lot of extra bodies around to focus on Perry.

Additionally the OP has three links and makes it seem like three different sources have verified this rumor, but all three links just report that... according to Silverstein of the Milwaukee...

So it's just one rumor by one reporter.

Gee, if we don`t START building a defense with many players good at their jobs,
 well then What is our purpose? I do like it that Perry is Highly rated as a run defender also.

4 hours ago, Shive said:

Definitely better than our #2, but I wouldn't overpay for him with the CB talent in this year's draft.

THIS.

Ask the Saints how that's going. They're in cap hell because they dove in on a few high priced free agents and back loaded their contracts. The Browns and Jags have so much cap space because they typically draft terribly, so they don't have too many of their own that they need to re-sign. Those teams are also the ones that use that immense cap space on the high priced guys. Blowing your cap space on a few guys with no regard to the future is a terrible idea.

Ya, that is what Irsay did. Hired a guy with no regard for the future. Silliness.

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Some research would show you that Perry was Elite last season as a Run Defender. #2 at his position. How interesting. He also lead GB in hurries with 34, as i recall.
 Waldon actually had a very low number of pressures. Waldon was also near the bottom of all players with his PFF season rating.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

How often do teams excel with 5 rookie starters?

Do you have serious health issues that make you want to see us in the SB next year?
 Get a grip if not. It should take at minimum 2 years or more to build some cohesiveness with all the new players that are going to have to be acquired. Good grief!

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Do you have serious health issues that make you want to see us in the SB next year?
 Get a grip if not. It should take at minimum 2 years or more to build some cohesiveness with all the new players that are going to have to be acquired. Good grief!

Maybe I do.  * off

1 hour ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Shoe;

Nick Perry is better than Waldon.    Come on now

5 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Just curious.   In your world how much are we paying each of these guys?

Well uh. With 60 plus million in cap room 2 big signings is very realistic. And Branch wont get more than like 2/10 or something. Everybody will be surprised when we start landing some big timers tomorrow

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Well uh. With 60 plus million in cap room 2 big signings is very realistic. And Branch wont get more than like 2/10 or something. Everybody will be surprised when we start landing some big timers tomorrow

You have no clue how much cap space we have do you?

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Except the small detail of not having 60-plus million

6 hours ago, backshoulderfade said:

Would be very wise on keeping Butler and Turbin.  Ballard should know as well as anyone outside of KC what Poe still has left.  Perry I am not as high on but the Colts have to do something to get multiple passrushers.