Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nick Perry [Merge]

So now its been rumored we're in on Perry, Bouye, Baker, and Zeitler. I mean it was obvious we would be aggressive. We'll sign a couple of the big names. And YES big names meaning big time players. Give me Perry and Bouye and Alan Branch.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/3/7/14849674/report-colts-very-interested-in-nick-perry-free-agency-2017

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/03/07/report-colts-interested-packers-pass-rusher-nick-perry/

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Colts-very-interested-in-signing-Nick-Perry-51664407

BOO YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get Perry. He seems like an ascending talent, as does Bouye, but the sudden production in their contract years is a concern for me. Given the positional strength in the draft, I'd be ok with taking a risk on Perry, but there's no way I'd pay the premium it would take to get Bouye when there are rookies in the draft with similar bodies of work.

Also remember that getting big time FA's usually doesn't equal success. Sorry for beating a dead horse, but this isn't Madden.

Or everyone just links us to all of em because our roster sucks so bad

Anyway I'd prefer to spend our money on proven guys, not potential one year wonders like Perry and Bouye.  I feel very confident that Bouye is gonna be an expensive bust for someone.

Perry over Ingram because Ingram is tagged and probably will end up being more expensive in the long term. Unfortunately, it helps Perry's market value now. Thankfully, the draft has enough pass rushers that Perry can't demand and get Ingram money, IMO.

What I'd like to know from our technical  X - O folks... what is our defensive scheme / identity?  How often do we run a 30 front... or a 40 front?  How often do we play zone?  How often are we man to man?  Quarters? two deep man under? Sky, Cloud, Zone blitz, Robber?

Is Bouye a Nickel corner, a Slot corner, or outside corner?  Does his tape show he does the things our defense tries to do?

These are the things I need to know before I wholeheartedly 'sign off' on endorsing a guy.

Last thing I want is spending huge sums of money and getting the next Alterraun Verner...

Pass rushers is a little easier to swallow, and they are even harder to find so chances there sometimes have to be made.  But I'd really love ti that our scout could find those gems and get them on the team for rookie contracts instead of spending huge in FA.  A team can only only go to that well very few times before they've pushed all in and are then just hoping for the best.

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Right now it's all just rumor and it happens every year. Remember when we were "front runners" to sign Suh and Greg Hardy a few years back?

We were?

I never saw that......

I know many fans wanted us to go after them....      but never saw the "front runner" rumors at all....

Just now, Legend of Luck said:

Gimme Calais Campbell, Zeitler/Lang, and Hightower and I'm all set.

I would love Campbell, Zeitler, and Brown.  Brown will be a little less and IMO he is still a solid ILB.  If we could grab someone like Campbell plus Baker too our D-line would look nice.

27 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

So now its been rumored we're in on Perry, Bouye, Baker, and Zeitler. I mean it was obvious we would be aggressive. We'll sign a couple of the big names. And YES big names meaning big time players. Give me Perry and Bouye and Alan Branch.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/3/7/14849674/report-colts-very-interested-in-nick-perry-free-agency-2017

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/03/07/report-colts-interested-packers-pass-rusher-nick-perry/

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Colts-very-interested-in-signing-Nick-Perry-51664407

BOO YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is being interested in a few players equal being aggressive?

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

We were?

I never saw that......

I know many fans wanted us to go after them....      but never saw the "front runner" rumors at all....

I remember Jason Cole of Bleacher report said it a few times, even on the radio. It was after that that Jason Cole became a throwaway name around here.

7 minutes ago, Bluefire4 said:

I still think most on here will be disappointed by the end of the day tomorrow. Just because we are interested doesn't mean we will sign anybody. 

Normally, I'd agree with you, but we have a lot of cap space to make one or two "big splash" free agent signings. 

I liked what I saw from the 6 or so GB games I watched last year but I am also a bit leary.... With opposing offenses focusing on Mathews and Peppers there are not a lot of extra bodies around to focus on Perry.

Additionally the OP has three links and makes it seem like three different sources have verified this rumor, but all three links just report that... according to Silverstein of the Milwaukee...

So it's just one rumor by one reporter.

36 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

BOO YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy.. you're going to end up very disappointed if you think were gonna land even 1/3 of these guys.

16 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

We probably won't get any of them... would love Zeitler though..

I don't think Perry is that good.

perry is decent, i hope we pick him up

we will probably never get an elite pass rusher in FA, that is not very realistic

34 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How is being interested in a few players equal being aggressive?

If you have money, and you're interested in something, you buy it a lot of times????? And if you don't buy that, you buy some other stuff????

30 minutes ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Oh boy.. you're going to end up very disappointed if you think were gonna land even 1/3 of these guys.

You guys need to get a grip. We have money and a need. You all are stuck in the Grigson era, and are too caught up in worrying about 5 years from now. Its all about this coming season man. CB will wanna turn things around over night, and he sees it can be done. We'll make the playoffs on a 10-6 or 11-5 record with a couple monster signings and a good draft

Big difference in taking over as GM for a team with a young franchise QB than a team like San Fran or Cleveland bro. There is no 2-3 year bull. It's win now.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I can get Perry. He seems like an ascending talent, as does Bouye, but the sudden production in their contract years is a concern for me. Given the positional strength in the draft, I'd be ok with taking a risk on Perry, but there's no way I'd pay the premium it would take to get Bouye when there are rookies in the draft with similar bodies of work.

Also remember that getting big time FA's usually doesn't equal success. Sorry for beating a dead horse, but this isn't Madden.

Bouye has improved every year in the league I would go get him if possible cause believe it or not he is an upgrade over our current number two CB.

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

If you have money, and you're interested in something, you buy it a lot of times????? And if you don't buy that, you buy some other stuff????

This team has a lot of holes.   I don't see a more than one splash signing and that is iffy

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

seems like there is a lot of reluctance to spend in here

when you have cap space, you use it.  what else is it good for?

If you spend the lions share on three players and you need 8 that doesn't fix anything

11 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

You guys need to get a grip. We have money and a need. You all are stuck in the Grigson era, and are too caught up in worrying about 5 years from now. Its all about this coming season man. CB will wanna turn things around over night, and he sees it can be done. We'll make the playoffs on a 10-6 or 11-5 record with a couple monster signings and a good draft

Big difference in taking over as GM for a team with a young franchise QB than a team like San Fran or Cleveland bro. There is no 2-3 year bull. It's win now.

Be careful making those guarantees and doing it with such arrogance    

Otherwise be prepared to eat crow for a long time around here 

I doubt this is a SB or bust season for the Colts.    

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

BOO YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious.   In your world how much are we paying each of these guys?

I'd prefer to just sign 1, maybe 2 big name free agents. Zeitler and Hightower are at the top of my list since they play positions that normally don't command huge money, and 2 because this upcoming draft class isn't particularly strong at those positions outside of Foster, Reddick, and Davis at ILB. Another position I'd sign a FA at is NT. I think a Johanthan Hankins could be had for a lesser cost.

I'd address CB, OLB, and RB via the draft since this class has quality players at those positions.