Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zeitler looking at 12M/yr?!?!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to protect Luck and develop a strong running game. Sign Zeitler and somehow get ourselves a young RB possibly in the draft.

Costanzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Zeitler, (Clark or Haeg)

Damn I would be stoked if we got Zeitler and then someone like Cook or McCaffrey or even someone like Marlon Mack.

As much as we need defense.. we need to protect Luck and be able to run the ball..

Without Luck we're nothing..

41 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not sure. Did having Zeitler get the Bengals a Championship? 

I keep saying it but we shouldn't need 5 studs to have a championship quality offensive line. We just need a good "group", good scheme and good coaching. The talent should be there.

The talent on the other side of the ball....not so much.

Spending $12m a year on a RG when our defense is the way it is buggers belief.

You can't say that. Look at the Seahawks, one of the best Ds in football, but couldn't protect Wilson, and they paid the price.

But, as another person said, it's not an either-or situation. We have 50 MILLION DOLLARS to spend. We can sign a stud for our O-line and still have money to sign multiple high caliber free agents.

12 mil sounds a bit rich when Osemele (who has proven he can cover at LT effectively) netted 11.7 so thereabouts. However 10 - 11 mil per year sounds perfectly reasonable imo. With the extra cap room from the Allen deal Zeitler is seeming like a better and better option.

I will not be surprised if Zeitler gets $12 million or close to it. I think he will end up being the second highest paid guard (if not the first) this year which I believe puts him above $10 million per season.

I'm not sure if Zeitler is worth signing or not. The question is if he is the type who is likely to check out after he signs a big contract.

I will say that I would rather see the Colts sign a guy who is at the top of his position and younger like Zeitler instead of signing older, more average players like they have the last few years. Also, the Colts can likely sign Zeitler and not be limited by his huge salary. They don't have many guys on their rookie deals who are likely to command a huge payday soon.

2 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

You can't say that. Look at the Seahawks, one of the best Ds in football, but couldn't protect Wilson, and they paid the price.

But, as another person said, it's not an either-or situation. We have 50 MILLION DOLLARS to spend. We can sign a stud for our O-line and still have money to sign multiple high caliber free agents.

We have $50m this year but I'm assuming we aren't just signing him for 1 year.

Seattle are in a very different situation. They haven't got a line that currently contains 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and a 3rd. If we can't fill that remaining spot without spending $12m then we really should give up on it.

Its a lot of money for a G.  However, you have to look at the structure of the team.  

We have a lot of cap space, and no real stars needing to be paid this year or next year, or probably the year after.   If you build the Oline with AC, Mewhort (who wont command Zeitler money), Kelly, Zeitler, and either Clark or Haeg or someone else, you've got a good young Oline and still plenty of draft picks and cap space to devote to the defense.

I think its a lot of money and would lean towards not doing it, but I wouldn't hate the signing...all things considered.

4 hours ago, Shive said:

I'm pretty sure it can be announced that teams have agreed on terms with a free agent, just the signings just can't occur until tomorrow. 

No, and yes.  The NFL officially does not want it getting out that a gentlemen's agreement has been reached between teams and the players agent. .  But they also don't really try to stifle those leaks either.  So  officially no, but in reality yes.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its a lot of money for a G.  However, you have to look at the structure of the team.  

We have a lot of cap space, and no real stars needing to be paid this year or next year, or probably the year after.   If you build the Oline with AC, Mewhort (who wont command Zeitler money), Kelly, Zeitler, and either Clark or Haeg or someone else, you've got a good young Oline and still plenty of draft picks and cap space to devote to the defense.

I think its a lot of money and would lean towards not doing it, but I wouldn't hate the signing...all things considered.

It's not like we are going to be hurting in cap space anytime in the near future....

12 mil for any elite player will be chump change half way through his contract. Idc that he'd be the highest paid guard next year because just like Osemele the following year he will be surpassed. Yes Osemele played LT, but Oakland knew he was going to be a G. Out of the teams reported to want him I'm confident in our chances if he's about winning. If he's ganna chase the money tho, Jags or Browns will probably offer around 15 if he pressures them for it. 

23 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Ok.  But they aren't making it now

Yeah not sure where your logic comes from. I know the Dallas line is the gold standard, and you stated that they aren't paying their guards near 12 Million a year, but that's because they don't have to yet.  Once those contracts expire they will have to make some tough decisions on some of them lineman, and I'm assuming atleast one of them will have to walk, especially if Zeke and Dak turn out good, they will both be getting paid HUGE salaries in a few seasons. 

Based off your logic just because the Bucs are paying Jameis Winston ( a promising young QB) 6 mil a year, means we are way overpaying our young QB at 20 million plus a year. 

On 3/8/2017 at 9:45 AM, Shafty138 said:

That's what your going to pay for an ELITE lineman now no matter what position on the line they are. Browns signed him anyways. He would of definitely been worth the money and very affordable given the Colts current contracts in the offensive line. Mewhort is still on rookie contract, same with Kelly, same with rest basically only one making big bucks is Anthony Castonzo. Mewhort is due for contract next year. I would hope colts look at extending him as he is solid. Castonzo is in Contract till 2019. Signing zeitler would of been good but I don't know about a 5 year deal like he signed with Browns. Either way it would of given us a really good O-Line, especially when comparing to seasons past.