Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shafty138

Zeitler looking at 12M/yr?!?!

nope, not for that...though I'm not a decision maker but I don't think a guard (no matter how good) is worth LT money.

Been saying this since Day 1. Zeitler is going to be way too expensive to even consider being an option for us.  

Enjoy Cleveland or Jacksonville. haha

I think the Broncos will pony up for one OL at least in FA, just not sure if it would be Whitworth or Zeitler.

:scratch: 

For 5 years I've seen nothing but "protect our QB", "if only Luck had more time", "if Luck had the Cowboys OL", then a great OL player becomes available AND everybody is up in arms at the cost. You HAVE to pay to play. This team is sitting on ~60MIL, we can afford the guy, and if you want to solidify that wall in front of Andrew, we're going to have to pay. Yes. his price is a little inflated, but nothing this team can't handle. A top tier right OG would do this team wonders AND we'd have him throughout the prime of his career. 

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

For 5 years I've seen nothing but "protect our QB", "if only Luck had more time", "if Luck had the Cowboys OL", then a great OL player becomes available AND everybody is up in arms at the cost. You HAVE to pay to play. This team is sitting on ~60MIL, we can afford the guy, and if you want to solidify that wall in front of Andrew, we're going to have to pay. Yes. his price is a little inflated, but nothing this team can't handle. A top tier right OG would do this team wonders AND we'd have him throughout the prime of his career. 

All of the guards on the cowboys roster combined don't amount to 12 million a season

7523.jpg

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts, Jaguars, and Browns are "in on" free agent RG Kevin Zeitler.

All three teams need big-time offensive line help, and all three are flush with cap space. It could turn into a massive bidding war and make Zeitler the league's highest-paid right guard at more than $10 million per year.

2 minutes ago, ColtsArmy84 said:
7523.jpg

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Colts, Jaguars, and Browns are "in on" free agent RG Kevin Zeitler.

All three teams need big-time offensive line help, and all three are flush with cap space. It could turn into a massive bidding war and make Zeitler the league's highest-paid right guard at more than $10 million per year.

was just about to post this

Not sure if this guy is worth that level contract or not.

Top guard pay right now is 11.7M per year.  Then you have 2 at 10M.  

After that then the #4 guard is at 8.25 M

Is he worth the splurge with so many needs on defense?

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

All of the guards on the cowboys roster combined don't amount to 12 million a season

Are the starters on rookie contracts?  

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The Cowboys have a RG that will be getting that kind of $$$ when he becomes a FA soon.

We can't beg the team to protect Andrew and then complain when the team considers getting a top player in the league at that position just because he's in for big money. 

IF WE'RE GOING TO SPEND CAP, SPEND IT TO PROTECT ANDREW!

Just now, Shafty138 said:

I guess screw it, pay 12 M......  I guess it won't be out of line going forward?

Exactly. Rising tide raises all ships. The players are going to keep making more as the cap increases every year.

Just now, LJpalmbeacher said:

Soon a franchise LT could be making $20 million ???

with the way the cap keeps going up, I don't see why not....wonder who the first QB to hit $30mil will be.

Just now, PeterBowman said:

with the way the cap keeps going up, I don't see why not....wonder who the first QB to hit $30mil will be.

Lamar Jackson ? haha

20 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Fans worry to much about cap room. I'm not saying you can ignore it completely, but we worry too much. I hear Polian and Brandt say it all the time, you can make room for good players. You can manipulate your cap situation to make room by doing things like restructuring contracts, etc... as the max cap goes up so will positional contract values. We could probably get a better deal with Watford or Leary, but I wouldn't cry if we paid that much for Zeitler. He's a good player who can immediately help this team.

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not yet

3 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Fans worry to much about cap room. I'm not saying you can ignore it completely, but we worry too much. I hear Polian and Brandt say it all the time, you can make room for good players. You can manipulate your cap situation to make room by doing things like restructuring contracts, etc... as the max cap goes up so will positional contract values. We could probably get a better deal with Watford or Leary, but I wouldn't cry if we paid that much for Zeitler. He's a good player who can immediately help this team.

Exactly. Not to mention, we have plenty of money to spend. If we're going to invest almost our entire draft on defense, why not sign ONE impact offensive player? Especially at a position weve been begging for for 5 years!?

if the Colts do land Zeitler, I sure hope it doesn't turn out the way Andy Levitre turned out for the Titans.

That is crazy money for a guard. 

I once said when George Foster got a 1 million per year contract that was crazy but its getting crazy what we pay athletes.

Post this under the old guy whining forum :) 

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The Cowboys have a RG that will be getting that kind of $$$ when he becomes a FA soon.

Ok.  But they aren't making it now

Who was the last great free agent guard that continued to be great when they signed with a new team?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Who was the last great free agent guard that continued to be great when they signed with a new team?

Most recent? You could count Alex Mack in that.

I say go after him you want his type of attitude in the locker room and it for the other line.  MEAN!!

2 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

Because he's on a rookie deal.................................

Yeah,   I understand that.   

1 minute ago, Legend of Luck said:

Alex Mack is a center

Cap room doesn't win championships. Rather be a winner with poor cap space than our trend towards the Jags with good cap space but bad players.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Yeah,   I understand that.   You 

Alex Mack is a center

Because Guard and Center are really that different, right?

Just now, rock8591 said:

Cap room doesn't win championships. Rather be a winner with poor cap space than our trend towards the Jags with good cap space but bad players.

Excellent point.

They've got nearly 100 million in cap space, but can't finish anything but last in the AFC south...

Because Guard and Center are really that different, right?

Yes,  They are much different

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes,  They are much different

Lol no, not for the sake of discussing whether a free agent performs well on their second contract. They're not different at all in that situation. 

3 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

Osemele, Brooks, Sitton...and that was just last season. 

Zeitler is probably too expensive, which is why I hope the Colts can swoop in and sign Warford before Zeitler sets the market.

3 minutes ago, Legend of Luck said:

Lol no, not for the sake of discussing whether a free agent performs well on their second contract. They're not different at all in that situation. 

How did levitre turn out for the titans?

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How did levitre turn out for the titans?

Also...we are talking about the Titans. Consistently one of the worst franchises in the league. Hard to use them as the barometer for anything positive....

That's one player. There's exceptions to every rule.

Most big time free agents never perform to the level of their new contract.   Why do you think it is great teams rarely ever sign huge free agent deals?