Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 NFL Combine Skills Day #4(3/6/17) (DB)

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is very possible that we could see 5-6 defensive backs come off the board in the top 15-20.

Marshon Lattimore
Malik Hooker
Adoree' Jackson
Jamal Adams
Obi Melifonwu
Sidney Jones

I think Teez dropped huge today, but Gareon Conley, Damontae Kazee, and Shaquill Griffin made a strong case for being a day two pick.

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think it is very possible that we could see 5-6 defensive backs come off the board in the top 15-20.

Marshon Lattimore
Malik Hooker
Adoree' Jackson
Jamal Adams
Obi Melifonwu
Sidney Jones

I think Teez dropped huge today, but Gareon Conley, Damontae Kazee, and Shaquill Griffin made a strong case for being a day two pick.

Fabian will be a day 2 pick also. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Marshon Lattimore
Malik Hooker
Adoree' Jackson
Jamal Adams
Obi Melifonwu
Sidney Jones

I don't see Jackson going 1st round. Based on CB play alone, he's a low 2nd, high 3rd rounder. He has fantastic athleticism and crazy return skills, which is why I think he gets bumped to a top-mid 2nd round guy. For the record,  I love the guy and would love to have a weapon like that on our team.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I was thinking that when they kept talking about him possibly playing CB. He adds 15-20 lbs, he'd be a monster ILB (of course that would take a year or 2 to bulk up to).

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Hopefully they get it right this time. Last time they tried it with Randall and Rollins it didn't work.

I think Randall can play, but injured.   Rollins I felt from day one was a safety, not a corner.

20 minutes ago, Shive said:

I don't see Jackson going 1st round. Based on CB play alone, he's a low 2nd, high 3rd rounder. He has fantastic athleticism and crazy return skills, which is why I think he gets bumped to a top-mid 2nd round guy. For the record,  I love the guy and would love to have a weapon like that on our team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson goes off the board before Lattimore. No doubt in my mind that some teams have him rated as the highest CB in this draft.

Adoree' Jackson has Deion Sanders athleticism, and I don't say that lightly. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Hope he drops to us.

My concern is using our pick on a great talent that can't stay healthy. Doesn't matter how good you are if you spend more time on the trainer's table than on the field.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

I can't argue with that, but what's the value in that? He hasn't shown the same shutdown corner qualities that PT did. As of now, he projects as a nickel corner with amazing return ability, who could potentially play outside. I can't see him jumping guys like Lattimore or Humphrey that are really athletic and project as starting outside corners.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

wasnt he bragging that he'd be number 1?

Dude is a legit prima donna. I wouldn't have him on my board at all. I find it odd that he's so cocky when he gives 15-20 yd cushions against fast WRs..

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

I can't argue with that, but what's the value in that? He hasn't shown the same shutdown corner qualities that PT did. As of now, he projects as a nickel corner with amazing return ability, who could potentially play outside. I can't see him jumping guys like Lattimore or Humphrey that are really athletic and project as starting outside corners.

I think at this time there is little chance any team will take Humphrey over Jackson. Why would they? Everyone saw the same thing and Jackson's ceiling is as high as it gets. He will get drafted very high because of his athletic ability. I doubt Jackson is even on the board when we pick at #15, and if he is then don't be surprised if we take him. He simply has talents that cannot be taught. 

58 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I think at this time there is little chance any team will take Humphrey over Jackson. Why would they? Everyone saw the same thing and Jackson's ceiling is as high as it gets. He will get drafted very high because of his athletic ability. I doubt Jackson is even on the board when we pick at #15, and if he is then don't be surprised if we take him. He simply has talents that cannot be taught. 

I'd much rather draft Fabian in the second, compared to Adoree in the first. He's faster, and he has better tape. 

6 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson goes off the board before Lattimore. No doubt in my mind that some teams have him rated as the highest CB in this draft.

Adoreee Jackson doesn't have anything close to Deion Sanders athleticision and his workout numbers back that up......

He's a great athlete,  but right not he's much more hype that reality....

5 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I'm not sure where all this excitement for Adoree Jackson has come from?

There is no one that I'm aware of projecting him as a 1st round corner,  much less someone who will be selected before pick 15?

Here's his NFL.com profile....    he worked out well,  but certainly not unbelievable and certainly not Deion Sanders level.       

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/adoree'-jackson?id=2558065

Remember,  for most of this year we was thought of as a late 2nd round, early 3rd round guy by many.

His size limits just how high he'll move up.      Chances of going in the top 15 are approaching zero.

Adoree can't handle physicality, he gets bullied by WRs on a regular basis. His quickness and athleticism were never in question. People expected him to run even faster than this(he's a freaking track athlete who was at the Olympic trials) and they still had him in the second round.

6 hours ago, Shive said:

Dude is a legit prima donna. I wouldn't have him on my board at all. I find it odd that he's so cocky when he gives 15-20 yd cushions against fast WRs..

The whole Tabor vs Wilson thing reminds me of a few years back. Another pair of CBs from Florida came out: Marcus Roberson and Louchez Purifoy. Both were touted as talented CBs who would go high. Roberson was talked about as high as 1st or 2nd round, and Purifoy, rounds 2-4. But the tape on them was bad. They both got burned repeatedly. Both ended up going undrafted and haven't done anything of note.

I wonder if this is a similar situation? Funny thing is that Roberson ran a 4.6 like Tabor did. I think both fall in the draft.

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Adoree can't handle physicality, he gets bullied by WRs on a regular basis. His quickness and athleticism were never in question. People expected him to run even faster than this(he's a freaking track athlete who was at the Olympic trials) and they still had him in the second round.

Didn't they say at the combine that John Ross torched him?

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Adoree might be a pretty good athlete, John Ross is just another level vertically. I think Ross put a move on him that left him rolling on the ground(broke his ankles) while Ross was streaking down the field for a TD.

edit: here it is

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

When they did the simulcast 40 runs, yes, but that's expected given the times. I'm almost positive I heard them say he practically shut Ross down both times they played each other (aside from the play mentioned above).

1 minute ago, Shive said:

When they did the simulcast 40 runs, yes, but that's expected given the times. I'm almost positive I heard them say he practically shut Ross down both times they played each other.

Look at my post above with the video.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Look at my post above with the video.

I just watched it elsewhere. Lol. I remember them talking about someone shutting him down, but if not Adoree, I can't remember who.

Just now, Shive said:

I just watched it elsewhere. Lol. I remember them talking about someone shutting him down, but if not Adoree, I can't remember who.

Alabama shut him down. I don't remember who was matched against him. Awuzie was doing amazing job against him too, until this one:

2) We presently grade Chidobe Awuzie as a second-round choice but in conversations since Monday's workout, a number of teams feel he is a lock first-round choice.

3) No one I spoke with has a first-round grade on Fabian Moreau, but the consensus is that he’ll be off the board somewhere within the initial 15 choices of Round 2.

4) In my opinion, Gareon Conley showed Monday why he’s going to be the steal of the cornerback position. His film was better than teammate Marshon Lattimore’s during stretches last season, and several people I spoke with this afternoon feel he’s a better player than Eli Apple, the 10th pick of last year’s draft.

5) Conversely I feel that Lattimore is overrated and a risky pick. He’s a superior athlete to Conley but comes with a thin body of work, a long injury history and, in my opinion, lacks the refined ball skills of his teammate.

6) From the safety spot, Montae Nicholson and Josh Jones make my all-underrated prospect list. Both players have size and ability and showcased their athleticism during Monday's combine workout.

7) People will ogle over Obi Melifonwu after his superior testing Monday, but I can tell you scouts are concerned he’s soft on the field and I agree with that concern.

8) Several I talked with were stunned how bad some of Cordrea Tankersley’s numbers were. He ran well timing 4.40s in the 40, but 29.5 inches in the vertical jump? Seven seconds in the three-cone? 4.32s in the short shuttle?

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

2) We presently grade Chidobe Awuzie as a second-round choice but in conversations since Monday's workout, a number of teams feel he is a lock first-round choice.

3) No one I spoke with has a first-round grade on Fabian Moreau, but the consensus is that he’ll be off the board somewhere within the initial 15 choices of Round 2.

4) In my opinion, Gareon Conley showed Monday why he’s going to be the steal of the cornerback position. His film was better than teammate Marshon Lattimore’s during stretches last season, and several people I spoke with this afternoon feel he’s a better player than Eli Apple, the 10th pick of last year’s draft.

5) Conversely I feel that Lattimore is overrated and a risky pick. He’s a superior athlete to Conley but comes with a thin body of work, a long injury history and, in my opinion, lacks the refined ball skills of his teammate.

6) From the safety spot, Montae Nicholson and Josh Jones make my all-underrated prospect list. Both players have size and ability and showcased their athleticism during Monday's combine workout.

7) People will ogle over Obi Melifonwu after his superior testing Monday, but I can tell you scouts are concerned he’s soft on the field and I agree with that concern.

8) Several I talked with were stunned how bad some of Cordrea Tankersley’s numbers were. He ran well timing 4.40s in the 40, but 29.5 inches in the vertical jump? Seven seconds in the three-cone? 4.32s in the short shuttle?

Damn. Am i the only one who wants to know what 1) was? :D

Thanks for post, where is this from?

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

Adoree might be a pretty good athlete, John Ross is just another level vertically. I think Ross put a move on him that left him rolling on the ground(broke his ankles) while Ross was streaking down the field for a TD.

edit: here it is

Yeah that must have been the game. I think they also said the Will Fuller got him too in his last year. Another small but fast receiver. That may be his Achilles heel.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Damn. Am i the only one who wants to know what 1) was? :D

Thanks for post, where is this from?

Draft Analyst 

and haha 

1) I really like the class of defensive backs that was on the field Monday, but I think there is a difference between the cornerback class and the safety spot. The cornerback class does not have the elite talent at the top that the safety position does but offers much more depth.

14 hours ago, krunk said:

Getting off track here.    I didn't realize AJ Bouye was from my high school!   Now I really wouldn't mind us picking him up.  Comes from good stock.  :rock:.  Tucker High School is a strong football program in Georgia.

With the talent in this class at cb. i sure hope the Colts don't sign Bouye he's not worth the money. 

25 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'm shocked Fabian isn't be talked about in round 1, if he's there in the 2nd we better take less then 30 seconds to turn our pick in. Interesting about Awuzie, thought he looked pretty raw on film but great athlete who tackles very well. The guy who intigiued me the most was Josh Jones, only have seen 1 game tape against ND and it was hard to get a read on him because it was a rainy game with alot of runs. Do you think Josh Jones could play FS in a year or two? Or is he more of a SS? Need to watch more film but 4.41 is a good start for the range he'll need to cover. 

Good Analysis 

Just now, Tmoney said:

I'm shocked Fabian isn't be talked about in round 1, if he's there in the 2nd we better take less then 30 seconds to turn our pick in. Interesting about Awuzie, thought he looked pretty raw on film but great athlete who tackles very well. The guy who intigiued me the most was Josh Jones, only have seen 1 game tape against ND and it was hard to get a read on him because it was a rainy game with alot of runs. Do you think Josh Jones could play FS in a year or two? Or is he more of a SS? Need to watch more film but 4.41 is a good start for the range he'll need to cover. 

Good Analysis 

He only isn't because this class is so deep imo.  I'd love Fabian in the 2nd. I'd love a couple CB's in the 2nd though. 

And I think Awuzie will be a day 1 starter. I  don't know anything about Josh Jones. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Adoreee Jackson doesn't have anything close to Deion Sanders athleticision and his workout numbers back that up......

He's a great athlete,  but right not he's much more hype that reality....

Are you talking about the hand-timed mythical forty's? Please. They get faster every year. Players today are timed with computerized pinpoint accuracy.  

I am sure Deion actually ran the forty somewhere between 4.25 and 4.35. Yeah, we hear the stories, and Deion was super fast. Well 4.25 to 4.35 is super fast, especially when you add in his exceptional athletic ability. 

I have watched the draft process for over 30 years and not once have I ever compared anyone to Deion Sanders, because they eye test on Deion was off the charts.  

Adoree Jackson is also athletically Off The Charts! And he is the closest thing to Deion Sanders to ever come out of the draft. 

Watch the video below and it will be easy to see Deion Sanders traits in Adoree Jackson.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure where all this excitement for Adoree Jackson has come from?

There is no one that I'm aware of projecting him as a 1st round corner,  much less someone who will be selected before pick 15?

Here's his NFL.com profile....    he worked out well,  but certainly not unbelievable and certainly not Deion Sanders level.       

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/adoree'-jackson?id=2558065

Remember,  for most of this year we was thought of as a late 2nd round, early 3rd round guy by many.

His size limits just how high he'll move up.      Chances of going in the top 15 are approaching zero.

I am not going to spell this out for you. Not going to drag this out into some long debate. 

Don't need you to give me a link to a player profile on NFL.com either.

I have no doubt that Adoree Jackson is very high on teams boards, and he has been there for a long time. 

Just always remember that day, when you said "Chances of (Adoree Jackson) going in the top 15 are approaching zero." Good luck.