Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superman's 2017 offseason mock (1.0)

When do we have to cut Jones to get his savings? I would have thought if we were going to do this it would have been done already.

As much as Ballard has talked about the trenches I can't help think not only do we sign a nose tackle but we look at help at DT either in the draft or again in free agency. Any thoughts on the Walker kid out of Oklahoma? I know there are some concussion concerns but is he a guy we could look at in rd 3 or 4?

I also can't see us not addressing the middle linebackers. I see no way possible we go into 2017 with Jackson and Morrison. You know I'm a big Reddick fan but even if we don't land someone like him we have to target a WIL because I can't see anyone on our roster playing that spot as it stands right now at an acceptable level.

I liked some of your moves especially Logan and I know we have too many wholes to fill than we can afford in one offseason but I'd think that Ballard would target a veteran safety with Green being so....well green and Geathers being so injury prone. I'd really like to go after Tony Jefferson. I know he would be more expensive than your other signings but I think he is worth it and it allow Geathers to fly around the field or bring Green in and use Geathers in sub packages. We are just too young and inexperienced and frankly insufficient to not do something to address the middle of this defense.....our safeties and LBs would be in big trouble in my mind to go "as is". Over all though I like and expect that Ballard to have an even approach to this offseason. I don't think he is going to go spend happy nor lock up big money in a couple guys. Nice mock Supes!

I particularly like the Kayvon Webster and Jarvis Jones signings at your respective price points. Webster offers a great deal of untapped potential after years of learning behind two of the best in Talib and Harris. Jones is a solid contributor with playoff experience. 

I can't say I am a big fan of Derek Barnett. I love the production in college, I just don't see it translating to the NFL. I may be wrong, but he just seems to be a step slow. 

If we can get Conley in the 2nd and Evans in the 3rd, that would be tremendous. Anzalone would represent tremendous value in the 4th even with the injury history. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

When do we have to cut Jones to get his savings? I would have thought if we were going to do this it would have been done already.

As much as Ballard has talked about the trenches I can't help think not only do we sign a nose tackle but we look at help at DT either in the draft or again in free agency. Any thoughts on the Walker kid out of Oklahoma? I know there are some concussion concerns but is he a guy we could look at in rd 3 or 4?

I also can't see us not addressing the middle linebackers. I see no way possible we go into 2017 with Jackson and Morrison. You know I'm a big Reddick fan but even if we don't land someone like him we have to target a WIL because I can't see anyone on our roster playing that spot as it stands right now at an acceptable level.

I liked some of your moves especially Logan and I know we have too many wholes to fill than we can afford in one offseason but I'd think that Ballard would target a veteran safety with Green being so....well green and Geathers being so injury prone. I'd really like to go after Tony Jefferson. I know he would be more expensive than your other signings but I think he is worth it and it allow Geathers to fly around the field or bring Green in and use Geathers in sub packages. We are just too young and inexperienced and frankly insufficient to not do something to address the middle of this defense.....our safeties and LBs would be in big trouble in my mind to go "as is". Over all though I like and expect that Ballard to have an even approach to this offseason. I don't think he is going to go spend happy nor lock up big money in a couple guys. Nice mock Supes!

The deadline on Jones is the Tuesday of Week 1 of the regular season. His salary is not guaranteed until then. But I would have cut him already, and for me, the drop dead date is when the offseason program starts. I wouldn't let him work out with the team at all, just to make sure he doesn't get hurt and we don't get stuck paying his salary again.

I don't think I've watched Walker.

I get the concern at ILB. I thought about other additions, I just didn't think it would work. 

4 minutes ago, Manning1887 said:

I particularly like the Kayvon Webster and Jarvis Jones signings at your respective price points. Webster offers a great deal of untapped potential after years of learning behind two of the best in Talib and Harris. Jones is a solid contributor with playoff experience. 

I can't say I am a big fan of Derek Barnett. I love the production in college, I just don't see it translating to the NFL. I may be wrong, but he just seems to be a step slow

If we can get Conley in the 2nd and Evans in the 3rd, that would be tremendous. Anzalone would represent tremendous value in the 4th even with the injury history. 

On Barnett, I get the bolded, and that was my initial impression. I was able to rewatch both him and Taco, and I see more get off from Barnett than I initially did. He has some wiggle and change of direction also. But I don't project him as an explosive, 15 sack/year kind of guy. I think he'd be a steady and reliable 8-10 sack/year guy, and I'm okay with that.

I like some of it a lot, both the draft picks and free agency. Some of the guys are guys I included in my own pre combine mock off season (Anzalone, Simon, Webster). Still, I would be worried we're doomed to another year of having a poor running game. 

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Erik Walden is going to be 32 when the season starts.  As much as I appreciate how well he played last year, I have trouble with giving him $6 mil per year.  I think you get the message across to your young players about "perform and you'll get paid" through Doyle, Moncrief, and Mewhort.

I think we need more playmakers on defense.  I'd really like to see someone like Zach Brown or Tony Jefferson brought in, even if it means spending more.  I'd rather spend a bit more to bring in playmakers, especially since we have lots of cap space.  Starting the season with Morrison and Jackson is asking for trouble, in my opinion

That price point for a guy who just put up 11 sacks is actually a steal. I think that's probably his market value, but I could see someone else going higher. It's a team friendly deal, for sure, but giving him another year to hold down the fort and seeing if he can continue to be a productive pass rusher is worth it, to me.

Doyle is the key to the culture building, though. True homegrown guy, came into his own in a tough season, seems to always do everything right, his teammates have called him the perfect locker room guy... I think it's important to keep him.

I thought about Zach Brown, a lot. I think I believe his market is going to be $8m/year or more, and that's too much for me at ILB. But Spotrac projects him at $4.5m/year, which I would do. I'd even go up to $6m. I could be talked into him.

Jefferson would be a good target, also, but I want Green to have time. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That price point for a guy who just put up 11 sacks is actually a steal. I think that's probably his market value, but I could see someone else going higher. It's a team friendly deal, for sure, but giving him another year to hold down the fort and seeing if he can continue to be a productive pass rusher is worth it, to me.

Doyle is the key to the culture building, though. True homegrown guy, came into his own in a tough season, seems to always do everything right, his teammates have called him the perfect locker room guy... I think it's important to keep him.

I thought about Zach Brown, a lot. I think I believe his market is going to be $8m/year or more, and that's too much for me at ILB. But Spotrac projects him at $4.5m/year, which I would do. I'd even go up to $6m. I could be talked into him.

Jefferson would be a good target, also, but I want Green to have time. 

I'm all for giving Doyle the money.  I just hesitate with Walden because he's older and I can't see him having another double-digit sack season.  If we're relying on a 32 year old Erik Walden to be our best pass rusher, we're in trouble.  Jarvis Jones, for example, seems to be a poor man's Walden, as he's much better at setting the edge and stopping the run than he is against the pass.  In that case, I wouldn't want to pay twice for the same style of player.  In my opinion, show Dont'a Hightower, Zach Brown, and Tony Jefferson the money and we could field a top-15 defense next year.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'm all for giving Doyle the money.  I just hesitate with Walden because he's older and I can't see him having another double-digit sack season.  If we're relying on a 32 year old Erik Walden to be our best pass rusher, we're in trouble.  Jarvis Jones, for example, seems to be a poor man's Walden, as he's much better at setting the edge and stopping the run than he is against the pass.  In that case, I wouldn't want to pay twice for the same style of player.  In my opinion, show Dont'a Hightower, Zach Brown, and Tony Jefferson the money and we could field a top-15 defense next year.

I feel the same way about Walden...I think Supes right though if we can sign him for that he is worth it...but I agree I don't see a repeat double digit sack performance out of him. He has never been that before and I think our lack of production last year forced us to use him like that. I'd expect more like 6 per year. That said I think we can get the production from other sources.   I do agree we are incredibly raw and young at lb and safety right now those are the QBs of the defense and it scares me to go into next year without some veteren leadership in those spots...Green is way to raw to start and geathers is questionable with his injuries and Jackson isn't ready to run that defense imo. So I agree we needs some vets but doubling up at LB and like the two best LBs available....yeah that's a bit much. Not sure we want to bid on Hightower as I think he gets HUGE money but if brown was reasonable I'm ok with that. 

I really get the feeling that Ballard cleans house. I expect a couple younger guys brought back like Doyle and Turbin....Walden maybe if the OLB market dries up...but the rest I think he moves on and gets younger.

56 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I feel the same way about Walden...I think Supes right though if we can sign him for that he is worth it...but I agree I don't see a repeat double digit sack performance out of him. He has never been that before and I think our lack of production last year forced us to use him like that. I'd expect more like 6 per year. That said I think we can get the production from other sources.   I do agree we are incredibly raw and young at lb and safety right now those are the QBs of the defense and it scares me to go into next year without some veteren leadership in those spots...Green is way to raw to start and geathers is questionable with his injuries and Jackson isn't ready to run that defense imo. So I agree we needs some vets but doubling up at LB and like the two best LBs available....yeah that's a bit much. Not sure we want to bid on Hightower as I think he gets HUGE money but if brown was reasonable I'm ok with that. 

I really get the feeling that Ballard cleans house. I expect a couple younger guys brought back like Doyle and Turbin....Walden maybe if the OLB market dries up...but the rest I think he moves on and gets younger.

Hightower is a do-it-all linebacker.  He can rush the passer, he can drop in coverage to the flats, he can stop the run.  If you ask me, those are the kinds of guys you hand out big money to.  A lot of times, teams and fans might be concerned with saving money, but when you have money to spend, there's nothing wrong with spending it on great players.  In fact, that's exactly why you save it.  He rejected an extension from the Pats that was giving him $10 mil a year, so I wouldn't mind giving him something in the $12-14 mil per year range.  He's young, he's talented, and he has production.  The highest paid Colts defender is currently Vontae Davis, who has a 2017 cap figure of slightly over $10 mil.  I think Hightower could be even better than Davis, since Davis has shown inconsistencies and injury problems, so I have no problem making Hightower the highest paid Colts defender.

Using Superman's mock, we'd have $18 mil in cap space after signing the rookies.  If you don't re-sign Walden, that becomes $23 mil.  You could very realistically give Hightower $13-14 mil next year and use the rest of it to sign either Zach Brown or Tony Jefferson.

5 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Hightower is a do-it-all linebacker.  He can rush the passer, he can drop in coverage to the flats, he can stop the run.  If you ask me, those are the kinds of guys you hand out big money to.  A lot of times, teams and fans might be concerned with saving money, but when you have money to spend, there's nothing wrong with spending it on great players.  In fact, that's exactly why you save it.  He rejected an extension from the Pats that was giving him $10 mil a year, so I wouldn't mind giving him something in the $12-14 mil per year range.  He's young, he's talented, and he has production.  The highest paid Colts defender is currently Vontae Davis, who has a 2017 cap figure of slightly over $10 mil.  I think Hightower could be even better than Davis, since Davis has shown inconsistencies and injury problems, so I have no problem making Hightower the highest paid Colts defender.

Using Superman's mock, we'd have $18 mil in cap space after signing the rookies.  If you don't re-sign Walden, that becomes $23 mil.  You could very realistically give Hightower $13-14 mil next year and use the rest of it to sign either Zach Brown or Tony Jefferson.

Hightower is definitely a guy Ballard would sign imo. Good locker room guy. 

23 hours ago, Superman said:

I've been working on this for a little bit. I wanted to do two, one before the Combine and one after. This one is now influenced by the Combine, and FA starts on Tuesday/Thursday, so I probably won't do another one. I'm also still watching a lot of players that I haven't watched yet, so some of my rankings are based on my own grades and general consensus from other evaluators, including some here. 

I'll add that my mock drafts for my big mocks typically don't include trades, but my preference would be to trade out of #15. I don't really like the way the board is shaping up, and unless some QBs and RBs (and maybe John Ross??) go ahead of our pick, the very best defensive players will be gone. In the spoiler tag is my mock 1-14, just so you know. 

Reveal hidden contents

Browns -- Myles Garrett

Niners -- Jonathan Allen

Bears -- Mitchell Trubisky

Jaguars -- Leonard Fournette

Titans -- Jamal Adams

Jets -- Dalvin Cook

Chargers -- Malik Hooker

Panthers -- Solomon Thomas

Bengals -- Reuben Foster

Bills -- OJ Howard

Saints -- Jabrill Peppers

Browns -- Deshaun Watson

Cardinals -- Marshon Lattimore

Eagles -- Mike Williams

Colts cap standing: 2017 cap of $167m, rollover of $6.6m from 2016 = adjusted cap of $173.6m. As of today, Colts have committed $114m, cap space of ~$59m

Releases: Arthur Jones, saves $5.15m cap space

New cap position: $109m committed, cap space of ~$64m

Colts FAs:

Jack Doyle, four years, $23.5m (2017 cap hit $5m, 2018 cap hit $5.5m)

Erik Walden, three years, $18m (2017 cap hit $5m, 2018 cap hit $6m)

Robert Turbin, two years, $5m (2017 cap hit $2m, 2018 cap hit $3m)

Zach Kerr, RFA, one year, $1.8m

Quan Bray, ERFA, one year, $0.615m

Eric Swoope, ERFA, one year, $0.54m

Jon Harrison, Josh McNary, Hugh Thornton, Jordan Todman, Chris Carter, Darius Butler, Trent Cole, Mike Adams, not retained

Donte Moncrief, four year extension, $36m new money (five years, $7.5m/avg), (2017 cap hit $5.3m, 2018 cap hit $6.2m)

Jack Mewhort, four year extension, $27.9m new money (five years, $5.8m/avg), (2017 cap hit $4m, 2018 cap hit $4.8m)

> Added $21.2m to 2017 cap (added $25.5m to 2018 cap, none guaranteed)

>> New cap position in 2017 -- $130.2m committed, remaining cap space of $43.4m (committed ~$122m in 2018)

Free agent additions:

Bennie Logan, five years, $40m (2017 cap hit $7m, 2018 cap hit $7.5m, $11m cash); starting NT/1-tech, great run stuffer, has some ability to shoot upfield, great interior anchor (market value calc, link, link)

John Simon, four years, $20m (2017 cap hit $4m, 2018 cap hit $5m, $7m cash); starting caliber OLB, not a great pass rusher but plays solid on the edge, had some big games in 2016, and is young at 27; maybe overpaying a little bit, but not quibbling in a weird market

Jarvis Jones, two years, $5m (2017/2018 cap hit $2.5m, $2.5m cash); young player who hasn't lived up to first round status, has athleticism and ability to be Rush, would rotate as backup edge defender, if he has a good year he's still locked down, no guarantees in Year 2

Kayvon Webster, three years, $11.8m (2017 cap hit $3.4m, 2018 cap hit $4m, $4.2m cash); another young player, never been a starter, athletic ability to play outside corner, mentality to play safety, standout special teamer (market value calc)

Tim Lelito, three years, $7.2m (2017 cap hit $2.2m, 2018 cap hit $2.4m, $2.6m cash); veteran lineman who can play guard, has started at multiple positions in the NFL, could start at RG

> Added $19.1m in 2017, $21.4m in 2018 ($7.5m guaranteed)

>> New cap position in 2017 -- $149.3m committed, remaining cap space of $24.3m (committed ~$143.4m in 2018)

Draft:

1/15 -- Derek Barnett, Tennessee, edge/OLB, Rush backer in the Colts scheme, can be a very good pass rusher, compares to some 2nd tier pass rushers in the league right now, I'm not thrilled with his athleticism but he ran a great 3 cone, more importantly he's a proven producer in college, probably the surest thing outside the top 3 in the draft, high floor player, he has more bend than I initially thought; I was torn between him and Charlton, but ultimately Barnett being a surer thing vs Charlton's greater explosiveness and higher ceiling won me over

2/46 -- Gareon Conley, Ohio State, CB, can play both sides and in the slot, great ball skills and gets up to contest, physical in run support, good size and play speed, future starter; this was going to be Hasson Reddick before the Combine, because consensus was he was a second rounder even though I thought he was a top 30 player, now it's pretty obvious that consensus was wrong and he'll be gone well before #46

3/80 -- Justin Evans, Texas A&M, FS, has the awareness and range to play deep coverage, a physical player and playmaker, great production, lacks discipline at times

4/122 -- Wayne Gallman, Clemson, RB, tough and physical runner, competitive, has good body control and balance, decent acceleration, not elite open field speed, good production in the passing game

4/144 -- Alex Anzalone, Florida, ILB, rangy, physical, athletic off ball backer who was a high level recruit and on a path to being the next big thing, can play WILB in our system, his collegiate career was thrown off by injury, but he should be healthy now, if not for injury he'd be a top 50 player, IMO

5/158 -- Jon Toth, Kentucky, C/G, length to play guard, technically sound, good awareness, stays engaged once he's blocking, can get stronger to finish better

6/200 -- Ryan Switzer, North Carolina, WR, super productive, "quicker than fast," technically sound, good hands, secure punt returner, sorry to make the obvious small white receiver comparison but he's Wes Welker Jr.

> Added ~$6.2m to 2017 cap, $7.4m to 2018 cap

>> New cap position in 2017 -- $155.5m committed, remaining cap space of $18.1m (committed $150.8m in 2018)

Depth chart (draft picks in bold, FA additions in italics)

QB: Luck, Tolzien, Morris

RB: Gore, Turbin, Gallman, Ferguson

WR: Hilton, Moncrief, Dorsett, Rogers, Switzer, Bray, etc.,

TE: Allen, Doyle, Swoope

OL: AC, Mewhort, Kelly, Lelito, Clark, Haeg, Good, Toth, Reitz, Blythe, etc.,

DL: Logan, Anderson, Langford, Ridgeway, McGill, Parry, Kerr, etc.

Edge: Walden, Simon, Barnett, Jones, Ayers, Maggitt, etc.,

ILB: Jackson, Morrison, Anzalone, etc., (Geathers dime role)

CB: Davis, Robinson, WebsterConley, Melvin, James, Morris, Milton, etc.

S: Green, Geathers, Evans, Farley, etc.,

K: AV

P: ?

LS: Overton

Full roster, plenty of competition, I think some veterans might not make the roster, and we're only carrying two QBs. We could break camp with around $20m cap space, and I have ~$151m committed in 2018 vs a conservative projected cap of $177m. Only FA I would seriously consider re-signing in 2018 is Vontae Davis. 

Not every need is met to my satisfaction, which no one should expect. But I think this roster is a jump start for the team in 2017 and can get back to the playoffs. And believe it or not, I really like all six draft picks and think they'd stick with the team in 2018. Still need a punter/KOS, which I would think is a UDFA.

Interesting I like though.

I'm not the biggest Barnett fan I like a couple of others better for example McKinley.  But I can see the reasoning and would be fully on board.

I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record to you lol but I really want an ILB with the first.  Cunningham or Reddick would be perfect for me but I digress lol...

I haven't watched Anzalone yet but by your description sounds like my kind of guy.  Will definitely look into him.

You see Conley as being the best DB available hmm.  I'm wondering if there's going to be a surprise run on receivers that pushes a couple of talented corners down.  What do you think?  

I love the Evans pick I just don't think he will be given just consideration due to Green being on the roster.  Would love to be pleasantly surprised here.

As always thanks for a couple of names for me too look into.  Always appreciated. 

Edited by Surge89
Dang iPhone

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I thought I had missed something... :)

I may never get my mock posted. Here are the FA's I was looking to bring in. What do you think especially at LB? NT Bennie as I mentioned in your mock. We have to upgrade that spot. I read we aren't bringing Kerr back. Is it accurate who knows. I hope we don't pay Poe.. Leary G really based on reports we want to sign a top G. 

The 2 LB's I wanted  to sign Gerald Hodges ILB. He has the speed we need and his coverage skills are underrated. He's a converted S who knows what happened in SF.  I saw projections at 4M per year. The OLB Alex Okafor He had 8 sacks year 2 then a combination of things happened. First injuries it was his injury that led to the Freeny signing. The injuries plus Golden's emergence coupled with Chandler Jones's arrival and Okufar will quietly sign somewhere. 

I would consider an edge setting guy like Jones who I like if we pass on Walden. I think we bring him back. I would prefer Jones. I wouldn't count out Upshaw either. He has history with the DC. Both are younger than Walden but unless someone gets crazy I think Walden is back. I'll admit to you if I get my mock up look for me to slip Webster in there. That was a great signing my friend. 

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Hightower is a do-it-all linebacker.  He can rush the passer, he can drop in coverage to the flats, he can stop the run.

Hightower is a better version of Antonio Morrison. Not only don't I want him, I definitely don't want to pay him $12m/year. 

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record to you lol but I really want an ILB with the first.  Cunningham or Reddick would be perfect for me but I digress lol...

I can't endorse either at #15, but I like both.

I love the Evans pick I just don't have think he will be given just consideration due to Green being on the roster.  Would love to be pleasantly surprised here.

PFFFT, I don't think Green is going to get any special consideration moving forward. My thinking is that you can use Green and Geathers in multiple roles, and play Evans in sub packages. 

1 hour ago, akcolt said:

I may never get my mock posted. Here are the FA's I was looking to bring in. What do you think especially at LB? NT Bennie as I mentioned in your mock. We have to upgrade that spot. I read we aren't bringing Kerr back. Is it accurate who knows. I hope we don't pay Poe.. Leary G really based on reports we want to sign a top G. 

The 2 LB's I wanted  to sign Gerald Hodges ILB. He has the speed we need and his coverage skills are underrated. He's a converted S who knows what happened in SF.  I saw projections at 4M per year. The OLB Alex Okafor He had 8 sacks year 2 then a combination of things happened. First injuries it was his injury that led to the Freeny signing. The injuries plus Golden's emergence coupled with Chandler Jones's arrival and Okufar will quietly sign somewhere. 

I would consider an edge setting guy like Jones who I like if we pass on Walden. I think we bring him back. I would prefer Jones. I wouldn't count out Upshaw either. He has history with the DC. Both are younger than Walden but unless someone gets crazy I think Walden is back. I'll admit to you if I get my mock up look for me to slip Webster in there. That was a great signing my friend. 

I don't want Leary at all, I'm scared of his knee.

I get the attraction to Hodges, I like him too. Same with Zach Brown. Adding one of those two would be nice. I see Okafor similar to Jones, maybe better potential as a pass rusher. I don't want Upshaw, but I see him like Jones also. 

Glad you like Webster. I think it makes sense to give him a chance to get regular reps on defense, but I still want him on the field as a special teams maven. 

Sub Hunt for Galman and I like it. I'm thinking your list of free agents (good players with upside but not household names) is the approach GM Ballard is likely to take. For some reason, I can see the Colts adding a free agent TE on the cheap though - somebody with a Chud  history.

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Hightower is a better version of Antonio Morrison. Not only don't I want him, I definitely don't want to pay him $12m/year. 

In my opinion, that's exactly why you pay him.  Hightower is better than Morrison and would be the Colts' best defender.  You pay big money for big talent.

3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

In my opinion, that's exactly why you pay him.  Hightower is better than Morrison and would be the Colts' best defender.  You pay big money for big talent.

He's better in that he's more experienced and has made more plays. It's not a flattering comparison at all. Hightower struggles in space and can't cover his own shadow, flats or otherwise, just like Morrison. We might as well let Morrison get abused in space rather than paying Hightower $12m/year because he's a little bit better at getting to the ball carrier.

I'm not interested in any ILBs that are liabilities in the passing game, especially not if they want to be the highest paid ILB in the league. 

I like Barnett, Conley, Gallman, Anzalone, and Switzer.  Your post is very detailed in the cap area and I don't have any idea on some of that stuff so I'll defer to your expertise.  I'm a little surprised you didn't have us getting any of the "high profile" FA guys though (ie. Bouye, Zeitler, Lang, Hightower, etc.).  I'm hoping we get at least one of those guys.

Pretty good research done to-date.  Not sure about free agency help but good to see a few names listed as well in your draft that I also considered at one point.  One forecasted model I also took in Round 5 Ryan Switzer to fill in as a slot player with the issues with Phillip Doresett looking to be a 1st round bust imo.

Resign – TE Jack Doyle, CB/FS Darius Butler, LOLB Erik Walden, RDE Zach Kerr, LOLB Erik Walden

Release –RB Frank Gore, DT Art Jones, CB Patrick Robinson, Matthias Farley, Duke Williams, G Hugh Thornton, SS Mike Adams, LILB D’Qwell Jackson (2016 FA)

FA Signings (~55m cap space)

Position

Name (starter)

Cap Value (m)

LDE

Calias Campbell

FS

D.J. Swearinger

SS/CB/KR

Micah Hyde

NT

Brandon Williams

RG

Larry Warford

7 / 5 years

RT

Ricky Wagner

Sebastian Vollmer

RB/Slot WR

Rex Burkhead

Above are my FA signings with the assumption of ~55m in cap space that should cost us ~43.5m.

RT Joe Reitz announced his retirement on March 7th, now we need to target RT Ricky Wagner to compete as starter and offer RT Sebastian Vollmer a 1 year “prove it” deal with up to 1m in incentives hoping he can regain his NFL caliber that made him one of the better lineman.  Sebastian is 32 years old and contemplating retiring.   Ryan Kelly did exceptionally well in his first year and Anthony Constanzo continues to play at a high level but the addition of FA Larry Warfod as RG (2016 – graded 82.6% - ranked #33) will immediately improve our line play. 

Calias is the same age as Arthur Jones and will command similar contracts. A cheaper option here instead of Calias might be to select Lawrence Guy or Cornelias Washington.  Micah has proven to be a capable starter as a backup which will allow Darius Butler to resume his normal CB role. 

Round 1 (15th) Pick – RILB Reuben Foster

Round 2 (46th) Pick –RCB Chidobe Awuzie

Round 3 (80th) Pick – LILB Alex Anzalone

Round 4 (143nd) Pick – ROLB Vince Biegel

Round 4 (160th) Pick – LOLB Matt Milano (compensation pick)

Round 5 (175th) Pick – ROLB Javancy Jones

Round 6 (215th) Pick – P Austin Rehkow

Round 7 () Pick –FS John Johnson

Theme of this draft is mostly stocking up on linebackers and upgrading our aging defense.

The NFL Combine held in Indianapolis seen Reuben Foster gets sent home for an altercation with hospital staff.  Only seems fitting to select Reuben Foster in Round 1 after releasing D’Qwell Jackson this offseason. From tape Reuben is a hard hitter and immediate improvement.  In Round 2 we need to upgrade our RCB position and finding Chidobe Awuzie here would be ideal.  Chidobe is a physical corner with skills and an excellent blitzer.   Very impressed watching film on Awuzie as a lockdown corner and will greatly improve our right corner side.  Experienced at playing the outside, slot and even safety.  From the tape I watched he does well in run support and is a reliable open field tackler although others have questioned his tackling and pass interference calls.  Assume his late season toe injury is a non-factor.

Alex Anzalone is another talented but oft-injured player I really like and hopefully can recover to become a full-time starter at LILB.  To me our weakest side of defense is on our right side.  Adding Vince Biegel in Round 4 should immediately push for starting time right away along with adding Javancy Jones in Round 5.  As compensation pick like to add depth to LOLB adding Matt Milano with the assumption of pushing Erik Walden as future starter at LOLB.

With the recent retirement of Pat we need a new punter and have us targeting the best punter available with Austin Rehkow.  Britton Colquitt is also a FA option and opens up a new selection option here if needed.  Round 7 looking to add roster depth at this point and FS John Johnson, RT prospects expected to go in the 4th round would be Will Holden and Zach Banner. Each may not be available but would help contribute.  I like RILB Hardy Nickerson availability here and his game footage plus family lineage shows he is capable of becoming a rotational starter.

Under these assumptions our offense and defense would like something like this:

Offense

Dwayne Allen

Jack Doyle

Erik Swoope

Anthony Castonzo

Le’Raven Clark

Jack Mewhort+

Joe Haeg

Ryan Kelly

Jonotthan Harrison

Austin Blythe