Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 NFL Combine Skills Day #3(3/5/17) (DL, LB)

Just now, BlueShoe said:

And your point is?

You're not proving anything. 

Reddick added 10 pounds to his frame and blew the doors off the combine.

Please start listening to yourself.

My point is that Reddick is still 10 pounds lighter than what Miller was at the combine and he needed to add 10 pounds in 1 month in order to get there. Also, as I said above - I don't think using outliers to project players is a wise decision.

Is it possible he will be able to do it? Yes. Is it wise to count on it? No. That's my point.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

My point is that Reddick is still 10 pounds lighter than what Miller was at the combine and he needed to add 10 pounds in 1 month in order to get there. Also, as I said above - I don't think using outliers to project players is a wise decision.

Is it possible he will be able to do it? Yes. Is it wise to count on it? No. That's my point.

It is very likely that a team is going to draft Reddick as a 3-4 Rush LB.

The only thing not wise, is putting him in a box and stating that he should not be drafted as an Edge Rusher. Especially when your reasoning is due to him being 10 pounds underweight. 

These conversations (I have them every year with at least a few people) never cease to amaze me. 

9 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Let me remind everyone that Robert Mathis damn near broke the single season sack record at 6'2" 245. 

Guess the height and weight of Von Miller....

Year after year, people say crazy things like what you just said; and year after year they're proven wrong. 

10 pounds is nothing for a player to put on in the NFL, and it does not bootstrap him to any position. 

He could play in many different schemes, because he is very athletic. 

Hahaha.. Mathis the same size as Miller.. HAHAHA.. I've been shoulder to shoulder with the guy quite a few times and he wasn't 6'2 with cleats on and I'm a little over 6'3. Mathis' advantage has always been his short stature and the ability to get underneath tackles. Mathis also contributed to some of the worst rushing defenses in the NFL. It's all good, you want to see him as an OLB, and he could be flexed there in situations but don't act entitled when some of us have the same opinions as coaches and scouts.

1 minute ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Hahaha.. Mathis the same size as Miller.. HAHAHA.. I've been shoulder to shoulder with the guy quite a few times and he wasn't 6'2 with cleats on and I'm a little over 6'3. Mathis' advantage has always been his short stature and the ability to get underneath tackles. Mathis also contributed to some of the worst rushing defenses in the NFL. It's all good, you want to see him as an OLB, and he could be flexed there in situations but don't act entitled when some of us have the same opinions as coaches and scouts.

Show me the direct quotes. 

Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it is nice when people use facts to obtain an opinion. 

You never said, "I don't think he will be an edge rusher in the NFL". You said, "He will NOT be an edge rusher in the NFL".

What is your opinion, and what is fact?

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Unless a character flaw or injury surfaces, then Solomon Thomas is going top 10. 

Those are some great numbers. 

Yep. From everything I've heard about him, they are not going to find character flaws. He seems to be a great kid with high determination to be great.

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Show me the direct quotes. 

Sure everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it is nice when people use facts to obtain an opinion. 

You never said, "I don't think he will be an edge rusher in the NFL". You said, "He will NOT be an edge rusher in the NFL".

What is your opinion, and what is fact?

Might want to go back and read my quote again chief... He's being compared to Ryan Shazier.. I'm sure you can tell me where he plays on the Steelers defense..

2 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Might want to go back and read my quote again chief...

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but it is a ROOKIE mistake to put athletic draftees in a box, and say they can only play one position. Year-after-year it has been proven to be a mistake.

I can actually remember when people argued that Von Miller should only play in the 4-3. 

Seems like almost every single of the top-rated EDGE players  disappointed in the rest of the drills and here's what Justis Mosqueda had to say about his FORCE PLAYERS:

Seems like the 3-cone was pretty bad for most of the top edge rushers. Reddick and Rivers had good tests even there, though.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but it is a ROOKIE mistake to put athletic draftees in a box, and say they can only play one position. Year-after-year it has been proven to be a mistake.

I can actually remember when people argued that Von Miller should only play in the 4-3. 

Again, it's not just my opinion, but those of PROFESSIONALS as well... His athleticism definitely gives teams the ability to flex him around to put him in the best position to make plays. I see Jamie Collins all over again.

Jordan Willis from Kansas State posted some of the best combine numbers. He will be the next player I will try to watch video of. Top performer in 40 yard dash, 10 yard split, vertical jump, 3 cone, 20 yard shuttle...

34 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Derek Barnett with a great 3 Cone Drill. Guess he does have some flexibility and short area quickness...

Yeah not bad for a guy who was throwing up yesterday.  Thomas looked good too.  Garrett would be a wet dream though.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

How's that for Thomas? Pretty good if you ask me.

What this list doesn't show is that 4 of the 6 tests ended with top-10 marks.   

THAT is what you call killing it at the combine.      

Great day for Solly....    zero chance he falls to 15.

59 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Yeh, measures great. If used correctly he couls be a beast.

Honestly,  I think he's going to be used all over the field, but mostly as a 3-tech for a 4-3 team.

I think he'll put on 10-12 pounds and be a poor man's Aaron Donald.     A team could do worse than that....

His arms were a decent,  but not great 33 inches.    I just don't think he's long enough to be a DE and have to face OT's with giant wingspans.      It's one thing in college,  it's another in the NFL where everyone is good.

Keep him inside at a DT and let him feast on the G's and C's and I think he'll be very, very good.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly,  I think he's going to be used all over the field, but mostly as a 3-tech for a 4-3 team.

I think he'll put on 10-12 pounds and be a poor man's Aaron Donald.     A team could do worse than that....

His arms were a decent,  but not great 33 inches.    I just don't think he's long enough to be a DE and have to face OT's with giant wingspans.      It's one thing in college,  it's another in the NFL were everyone is good.

Keep him inside at a DT and let him feast on the G's and C's and I think he'll be very, very good.

Yup, thinking exactly the same. 3 tech for sure 

13 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Would be a dream come true if he fell to us. Won't have problems till after he is done with football is what I'm reading. 

Just read that his team doctor, who should know him best, said this:  

"Jonathan has really played without symptoms in his shoulders, and it’s something that has not affected his performance or function,” Cain told Rapoport. “It doesn’t have to be treated during the season. And he’s had a couple of great years.”

I know they're worried about the future.  He's worth taking the chance.  

Alot of interesting comments and perspective fellow colts fans:

I will share my quick opinion based on coming into the combine and finishing up combine ( pass rushers, linebackers, hybrids ) 

I think:

1) best players coming in were - M. Garret & S. Thomas - after combine today & prior info on these guys - I don't see any shot these guys around at 15  (if get really lucky maybe Thomas, but have to get real lucky)

2) coming into today based on mock drafts & best fits were -

Tier1 : D. Barnett, T. Charlton, T. Mckinley

- based on combine results and colts article on website (combine results for potential targets), also 

- i believe overall D. Barnett did the best because his speed, prior overall production from college ( dependable and safe ) - experts said he would not test well - that he is great college player but wouldn't translate well into nfl or  he is not athlete enough  and his moves wont work on better offensive tackles in nfl  ( alot similar things they were saying about  Joey Bosa last year - great production in college, but not good combine stats - long story short - we all know how good Joey Bosa is year later)   D. Barnett is good/safe/dependable - we need to hit on 1st round just like last year - overall he would be best balance player

- T. charlton - was said to have speed/twitch - his combine results didn't show that - based on how others did today - ( reddick, c. harris, j. willis - i could see now T. charlton slipping ) 

- T. mckinley - his speed was great - as we were all expecting - but based on his other results in combine - will be raw player who will need to be coached up alot, also his shoulder surgery will cause him to miss OTA and training camp - long story short - too many variables that could result in 1st rd pick not working out with him - (now if he slipped and we got later then worth it )

- based other performers and how draft goes: these guys maybe 3 months back heading were 1st round possibility but maybe these guys slip and can get later round ( also throw T. williams - because he had red flag coming in with off the field stuff - then didnt have great combine results - throw in other players doing better - i don't think u gamble with him on 1st rd draft pick - maybe he slides 2nd round - then maybe worth considering

- fallers: ( T. Charlton, T. Mckinley, T. Williams,  Z. Cunningham ) 

Players who really improved/risers draft stock at combine:

( Reddick, C. Harris,    J. Willis, C. Lawson, D. Rivers, R. McMillan )

Best Player/Value for 1st round - #15 pick 

Tier1:

1) D. Barnett

2) H. Reddick

3) C. Harris

Best Player/Value for 2nd round - #14 (46)

1) whoever is available:

( J. Willis, C. Lawson, D. Rivers,  R. McMillan )

or if get lucky and drop/slipped players ( T. Charlton, T. Mckinley, T. Williams,  Z. Cunningham ) 

Later rounds - 3rd,4th etc:

Def: ( T. Hendrickson, T. Basham, D. Riley, L. Ogunjobi, T. Bowser )

Off: - Rb: ( K. Hunt, J. Mixon, J. Williams, B. Hill )

I think this would be the best draft for colts above - as if now - based on info we have now - things can still

change from now till draft. 

( fyi - I am not gonna waste time to say if we should take offensive player - cuz bottomline - i think we all know that we have to improve defense more - because of lack of playmakers, older players on def, etc 

also on offense we have - Luck, Gore, Hilton, Moncreif/Dorsett, Allen, improving offensive line, good Off-cord  - i think they can hold their own that we don't waste 1st rd pick on offense for ( rb or offensive line)

What u think fellow - colts fans..

More details on Solly's big day....

Here's how his results stacked up against everyone else....    Top-5 OR BETTER in 5 of the 6 categories!

4.69 40 - 11th best, Reddick (Temple) 1st at 4.52
30 reps at 225 - 4th best, Lawson (Auburn) 1st at 35
35.0 vertical - 5th best, Garrett 1st at 41.0
126.0 long jump - 5th best, Reddick (Temple) 1st at 133.0
6.95 3 cone drill - 4th best, Willis (KState) 1st at 6.85
4.28 20 yard shuttle - 3rd best, Lawson (Auburn) 1st at 4.19

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

More details on Solly's big day....

Here's how his results stacked up against everyone else....    Top-5 OR BETTER in 5 of the 6 categories!

4.69 40 - 11th best, Reddick (Temple) 1st at 4.52
30 reps at 225 - 4th best, Lawson (Auburn) 1st at 35
35.0 vertical - 5th best, Garrett 1st at 41.0
126.0 long jump - 5th best, Reddick (Temple) 1st at 133.0
6.95 3 cone drill - 4th best, Willis (KState) 1st at 6.85
4.28 20 yard shuttle - 3rd best, Lawson (Auburn) 1st at 4.19

Justin Houston vs Solomon Thomas

Height: 6'3" vs 6'3"

Weight: 270 vs 273

Arm Length: 34.5" vs 33"

Bench press: 30 reps vs 30 reps

40 yards dash: 4.68 vs 4.69

10 yards split: 1.62 vs 1.66

3 cone: 6.95 vs 6.95

20 shuttle: 4.37 vs 4.28

Vertical Jump: 36.5" vs 35"

Broad Jump: 125" vs 126"

UNCANNY!! They are extremely close in most of those and Ballard has had Houston on his team and has seen the impact a player like that can have.