Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard and trades

If there's one area I would like to see Ballard very creative and analytical with it's trades. Most of us already think he'll be a good evaluator of players in the draft, which is most needed with all the misses Grigson had, but if Chris can pull off some deals that benefit the Colts that would take him to another level in my book.

Living down in Nashville, TN, I watched how new Titans GM Jon Robinson pulled off some incredible trades including giving up practically nothing to acquire RB Demarco Murray. They literally just swapped 4th round picks with Philly which only lost them maybe 10 draft spots. Along with that deal, Robinson drove the price up on the #1 overall pick to rob the Rams of many draft picks so that they could move up to select a future bust in my opinion, Jared Goff.

Now I know Ballard doesn't have the #1 pick to work with, but he can still get creative with trades for example if a Dalvin Cook or OJ Howard were available when the Colts pick came up. Just my thoughts since I would love seeing Ballard work with even more draft picks to utilize his expert evaluation skills.

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If there's one area I would like to see Ballard very creative and analytical with it's trades. Most of us already think he'll be a good evaluator of players in the draft, which is most needed with all the misses Grigson had, but if Chris can pull off some deals that benefit the Colts that would take him to another level in my book.

Living down in Nashville, TN, I watched how new Titans GM Jon Robinson pulled off some incredible trades including giving up practically nothing to acquire RB Demarco Murray. They literally just swapped 4th round picks with Philly which only lost them maybe 10 draft spots. Along with that deal, Robinson drove the price up on the #1 overall pick to rob the Rams of many draft picks so that they could move up to select a future bust in my opinion, Jared Goff.

Now I know Ballard doesn't have the #1 pick to work with, but he can still get creative with trades for example if a Dalvin Cook or OJ Howard were available when the Colts pick came up. Just my thoughts since I would love seeing Ballard work with even more draft picks to utilize his expert evaluation skills.

What are you basing his expert evaluation skills on?

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What are you basing his expert evaluation skills on?

The draft success KC has had in recent years since he and Dorsey got there. I'm not saying he will nail every one of his draft picks, but I think most on this board will agree that he shows more promise as a draft evaluator than Grigson.

36 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

The draft success KC has had in recent years since he and Dorsey got there. I'm not saying he will nail every one of his draft picks, but I think most on this board will agree that he shows more promise as a draft evaluator than Grigson.

I understand being hopeful,   but we have no idea how is evaluating skills are yet

If I were Ballard, I would not be looking to trade down very far in my 1st draft as GM and lay an egg. I know drafting early doesn`t guarantee a successful selection, but I`m sure it's a little easier evaluation process in selecting a productive player. I hope the Colts stay at 14-15. Just my two cents!

Deep Draft = sound strategy to gain more picks

However, the rest of the NFL are aware of the deep draft as well and unless you can find a team that is in love with a player at your spot then finding a dance partner will be harder this year, IMHO.

I would be find staying put or trading back, but do not really want to see a trade up unless to number one to get Garrett but the cost would be prohibitive.

17 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

How about we go with his old boss Dorsey who said he was a very good talent evaluator.

Not to mention many other high executives in the NFL say he is very good at evaluating talent. Jerry Angelo comes to mind here along with Andy Reid.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

How about we go with his old boss Dorsey who said he was a very good talent evaluator.

I'm hopeful he is very good,  but I'm sure Grigsons old boss had flattering things to say about him as well.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm hopeful he is very good,  but I'm sure Grigsons old boss had flattering things to say about him as well.

I don't have any quotes from Grigson's old boss, but it has been documented that there were more than a few co-workers and peers who were surprised he got an interview for the Colt's GM position, and at least a few shocked he got the job....

Ok, I guess technically his former coworker stating it in a radio interview isn't a document, but he did put it on the public record, but that's kinda splitting hairs either way.  Regardless, this dead horse feels thoroughly beaten.   

I agree, Ballard seems very well regarded, and optimism is dully warranted.