Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated look at FA and draft needs

Alright... let's try to break this down a bit and we'll start by looking at the information available to us at the moment. 

The draft is incredibly deep at linebacker, DL, and corner.

We need to address the DL more so after the Perry incident.

Word is that we WON'T BE resigning Mike Adams, therefore we are most likely going to resign Butler and move him to safety.

We have the 7th most cap available in all of free agency, but Ballard will likely be somewhat conservative.

We have 5 picks in rounds 1-4, where we are most likely to find starters for THIS year.

The word going around the draft is that it's so deep, that players taken in the 4th round this year would have been 2nd round picks in prior years.

With our cap space, we have to think we probably have room for maybe 4 moderate to high end contracts in FA, if the deals are structured properly.

So let's try to work from there.

We need (in no particular order)

At least 1 DE- Langford set as a starter

At least 1 DT- Anderson set as starter, with pretty strong depth behind him.

2 OLB

At least 1 ILB 

1 outside corner

1 slot corner (since Butler is going to safety)

1 RB of the future

1 TE if Doyle isn't back

1 Punter

Possibly a "ready now" answer for the right side of the OL.

So, let's try to eliminate some needs:

Punter- late draft pick.

TE- with too many defensive needs, we either resign Doyle or try to grab a vet FA at low cost. Possibly Vernon Davis, Jacob Tamme, or Jared Cook?

OL- This draft is said to be one of the worst OL drafts in recent years. No one knows if Ballard thinks Haeg or Clark is a sure-fire answer. If we choose to upgrade, FA will be our best answer. We have enough young OL, we need someone to protect Andrew NOW. Whether that's Zietler or TJ Lang, I for one support a signing of a ready now starter.

RB- This position, for many reasons, must be addressed in the draft, not in FA. I believe one of our 2 4th round picks should be dedicated to RB. All the analytics show that you can find elite RBs in those middle rounds.

CB- I believe one of our draft picks should be dedicated to CB, and that we should try to sign one of the available FA. There are a handful of skilled corners available that wouldn't require us to break the bank.

LB- Same strategy here as with CB. Sign a FA, and draft at least 2 LBs in rounds 1-4. Drafting well here is especially important. We've seen this off-season that pass rushers are coveted and the best rarely hit free agency. With the rise in cap, it makes it easier for teams to keep their own talent.

DT- I'm not super concerned with DT, as we have Anderson, Kerr, McGill, and Ridgeway, (and MAYBE Perry) all of whom have shown flashes of talent.

DE- Another position in which we draft 1 and sign one. I think our biggest FA spending should be on this position.

So here's the breakdown:

Draft in rounds 1-4 (in no order):

LB, LB, DE, CB, RB

Sign in FA:

Resign Butler, Turbin, Doyle (at the right price)

Low cost TE if Doyle doesn't sign.

OL- TJ Lang or Kevin Zeitler

DL- Calais Campbell

LB- would love to get Hightower. Perhaps we entertain the idea of a Freeny return as well?

CB- Tons of options outside of Bouye and Gilmore that won't require huge spending.

Hopefully this makes sense. Would love to hear everybody's thoughts and suggestions. 

Campbell is 30 so that will never happen.
A premium guard does make sense. Lang will turn 30 this season and has shoulder issues.
Is he a good fit long term?
 Will we outbid everyone for Hightower And he want to come here?
  I could see us winning the Zeitler bid.
 Our GM will nab a few moderately priced guys that he likes for our roster build.

10 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

A premium guard does make sense. Lang will turn 30 this season and has shoulder issues.
 Our GM will nab a few moderately priced guys that he likes for our roster build.

On Campbell, having a star player with some veteran leadership would be huge for our defense. The only vet we may have is Darius Butler? Or Vontae? We can't go young at EVERY position.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Campbell has shown 0 signs of slowing down and is easily better than anything we have now.  I agree with Lang.  He got hurt at the end of this past year and we would be smart to spend money on a younger player.  I also agree with the Hightower bidding war.  We will not win that one and we should look at other options.