Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Are Melvin Ingram and Dontari Poe possibilities?

Possible?... yes.

Probable?... not likely.

I doubt we will splurge so much cash in one off-season on two big name FA's. I believed Ballard when he said you cannot buy a locker-room. If I had to guess which one is the higher priority, my bet (and hopes) would be on Ingram. We need pash rush so, so dearly.

I don't think we have to take literally every word Ballard said in his press conference or interveiws.

He repeated just about every NEW HC/GM that's ever been hired.

The fact is we'll have about $60 million in cap space. There will be NO EXCUSE to not try and add much needed talent to this team, Unless of course our owner prefers the $$$ in his pocket.

With the right FA signings along with a good draft this team should at the very least contend strongly in our division.

Ingram is looking for a big contract, so I'm not sure that we'll win the bidding war. I know just because he wants that much doesn't mean he'll get it, but somebody is going to overpay him. 

Colts could be a possible landing spot for LB Melvin Ingram. Ingram is reportedly asking for Olivier Vernon money (5 yers, $85M)

We can all agree that we need major help at the LB spot regardless. 

He will get it because it is FA and when you think about it, in 2 years when the cap increases again his contract would account for roughly 9% of our cap.  Luck will be up there as well but again you still have money to go around.  Also, within the last 2 years he has 18.5 sacks so he blossomed at the right time for the pay day.  I honestly cannot see Ballard going into FA and making this large of a deal though.  He could grab some solid talent and get like 3 or 4 people and spend a little over 20 or even 25 million.  But tying 17 into on player is a risk for sure.

Definite possibilities. 

Ingram doesn't fit the Chargers new scheme and KC are in cap hell so are doubtful to have the cap to retain Poe or Berry.

I think Ingram is the most likely. Great player, good character, good scheme fit. I'm perfectly happy paying him $11-12m per.

10 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Definite possibilities. 

Ingram doesn't fit the Chargers new scheme and KC are in cap hell so are doubtful to have the cap to retain Poe or Berry.

I think Ingram is the most likely. Great player, good character, good scheme fit. I'm perfectly happy paying him $11-12m per.

I would be too.  The question is are you happy paying him $17-18m per year, though.

2 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I would be too.  The question is are you happy paying him $17-18m per year, though.

I don't think he gets to $18m per. Coming off an 8 sack year I think $14m per might be his ceiling. Even so I'd be okay with that considering our cap space.

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Ingram is looking for a big contract, so I'm not sure that we'll win the bidding war. I know just because he wants that much doesn't mean he'll get it, but somebody is going to overpay him. 

Colts could be a possible landing spot for LB Melvin Ingram. Ingram is reportedly asking for Olivier Vernon money (5 yers, $85M)

I'll have to pass 

2 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

I don't think he gets to $18m per. Coming off an 8 sack year I think $14m per might be his ceiling. Even so I'd be okay with that considering our cap space.

Teams don't just look at last year and then dictate what they are going to pay you.  Plus over the last two years he has 18.5 and has been showing skills that are increasing.  This is what teams look for and pay for.  Plus teams always over pay in FA so he can easily get closer to what Vernon received last year or more.

6 hours ago, James Sturgill said:

Are there any true NT in this years draft worth taking?

There are next year. Lowell Loutelei and Vita Vea.  I think the Colts should wait. Maybe draft Elijah Qualls or Jarron Jones late.

But let's be clear, there is no NT like Poe out there and there won't be for awhile. He's a rare specimen. He'd be worth the money. You can find another Melvin Ingram. It'll be hard to find another Poe

1 hour ago, riftastic28 said:

Man 5yrs 85 mill thats alot . Not sure I'd want that . I do like poe I rather have Hankins because he's cheaper mostly . I look at this draft and see alot of talent . 

Meh, it would just be a 3 yr deal. Who else the colts going to spend it on?  Zak Kerr?

12 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

CBS Sports believes there is a 75% probability that Ingram gets tagged. Poe 50% probable.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/estimating-the-odds-10-teams-use-franchise-tags-including-three-stone-cold-locks/

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

There are next year. Lowell Loutelei and Vita Vea.  I think the Colts should wait. Maybe draft Elijah Qualls or Jarron Jones late.

But let's be clear, there is no NT like Poe out there and there won't be for awhile. He's a rare specimen. He'd be worth the money. You can find another Melvin Ingram. It'll be hard to find another Poe

Yes but he has had prior back problems. For the kind of money he is going to demand, I could not pay him 15M or more a year with an injury history. Other NT will hit the market this year, and I still prefer brandon williams for the money.

The article LaCanfora writes has a few good pts. KC does not want to franchise Berry a second time, plus that means 120% of last years salary. Berry has said he won't play under it. He thinks they get a deal done with Berry, then franchise Poe and work out a long term deal. I can see the deal with Berry, but they will have to work around money this year to work Poe into what he wants.

I think the chances are better that Berry hits FA than Poe, but I think as far as KC it would be foolish to let Berry go. He is incredibly good, a true leader on the field, and good teammate. You keep those guys around even if you have to pay them hybrid money like Mathieu got in Arizona, and that is what he wants. If KC does not give it to him, someone will.

As has been said, too much money out there chasing too little product, and then the new period of spending 89% of cap space between 2017-2020 just kicked in. That will have an impact.

As far as Ingram, going to LA and then letting him walk with how much he has improved the last two years. Great pair with Bosa. Still I don't want to pay 17M year. I want a NT and a RG. Ballard should be able to find some good LB's in the draft this year!

Both of these guys will be overpaid, but I suppose that's the nature of the market. 

Ingram is an interesting player because he's fairly productive in the sack dept., but puts a ton of pressure on QBs... He might come close to earning the huge pay day he's about to receive. Of course, you all know how bad we need OLB's that can get to the QB. 

Poe is different. I see him as a much riskier signing. He would have to come in on a more reasonable contract than what's been thrown around in the media for me to consider it a good deal. He has had his moments, but hasn't shown enough to be paid franchise-tag level money, in my view. 

On 2/25/2017 at 0:33 AM, loudnproudcolt said:

The article LaCanfora writes has a few good pts. KC does not want to franchise Berry a second time, plus that means 120% of last years salary. Berry has said he won't play under it. He thinks they get a deal done with Berry, then franchise Poe and work out a long term deal. I can see the deal with Berry, but they will have to work around money this year to work Poe into what he wants.

I think the chances are better that Berry hits FA than Poe, but I think as far as KC it would be foolish to let Berry go. He is incredibly good, a true leader on the field, and good teammate. You keep those guys around even if you have to pay them hybrid money like Mathieu got in Arizona, and that is what he wants. If KC does not give it to him, someone will.

As has been said, too much money out there chasing too little product, and then the new period of spending 89% of cap space between 2017-2020 just kicked in. That will have an impact.

As far as Ingram, going to LA and then letting him walk with how much he has improved the last two years. Great pair with Bosa. Still I don't want to pay 17M year. I want a NT and a RG. Ballard should be able to find some good LB's in the draft this year!

Reported today Berry to get tag, Poe to hit market. Rotoworld

On 2/25/2017 at 0:33 AM, loudnproudcolt said:

He won't hit FA, but he might not play either, see below.

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

Reported today Berry to get tag, Poe to hit market. Rotoworld

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Still two days before the deadline. 

Which is a tough line in the sand to draw for KC.  Berry just reiterated he won't play under the franchise tag in 2017, and emphasized he stands by that statement.

https://www.all22.com/kansas-city-chiefs/chiefs-s-eric-berry-reiterates-wont-play-2017-franchise-tag

Can they come together on a long term contract before the end of business Wednesday?  Will Berry, who is 28 and in his prime, sit out because of the lack of long term security?  Interesting scenario... one the Chiefs could foul up.

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

Which is a tough line in the sand to draw for KC.  Berry just reiterated he won't play under the franchise tag in 2017, and emphasized he stands by that statement.

Can they come together on a long term contract before the end of business Wednesday?  Will Berry, who is 28 and in his prime, sit out because of the lack of long term security?  Interesting scenario... one the Chiefs could foul up.

I'll be interested in the resolution, but it's not the first time we've seen this movie. Still two days between now and the deadline, and they might just be further along with Poe than with Berry. And then there's four and a half months before the deadline to work out a long term deal with your tagged players. Not only that, the new cap hasn't been announced, and there's a week and a half before the league year starts. The Chiefs have a handful of releases to make before then.

As Andrew Brandt says, deadlines spur action. The Chiefs have a lot of work to do, but I assume they'll figure it all out. Maybe they already have, and are resigned to letting Poe walk. 

After what has transpired today I think Poe will hit FA.  They just payed Berry his big contract and resigned their RG Tardiff to a 41m extension with 20 m guaranteed.  They had very little cap space to start with.  Something tells me he hits FA and they will have to settle for a comp pick. 

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

After what has transpired today I think Poe will hit FA.  They just payed Berry his big contract and resigned their RG Tardiff to a 41m extension with 20 m guaranteed.  They had very little cap space to start with.  Something tells me he hits FA and they will have to settle for a comp pick. 

They still have a shot at getting poe if they really want him. They can get over 10 million in cap if they cut nick foles. 

I hope they let him walk, but the urgent nature of them signing berry has me worried that they wanted the tag available for poe if need be. 

Im still thinking he walks, but im not as confident about it as i was yesterday. 

4 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

I hope they let him walk, but the urgent nature of them signing berry has me worried that they wanted the tag available for poe if need be. 

I think that's the strategy. They still have until tomorrow afternoon to either sign him or tag him.

I don't really want him, tbh.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I think that's the strategy. They still have until tomorrow afternoon to either sign him or tag him.

I don't really want him, tbh.

I am on the fence with Poe personally. I wouldnt be unhappy with him, but I would prefer we made a play for Williams. That being said, I would feel better knowing that Poe could be an option as well. Not only does it give us another option, but it gives everyone else an option and hopefully means less people fighting and bidding over each player. Him getting tagged might mean a steeper price to get someone else.