Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

richard pallo

"Dream Target" for the draft.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Restored said:

Why are people perceiving Dalvin Cook as a luxury pick? Gore is at the age where he could fall off a cliff production-wise and there is no formidable option behind him. Cook also is a rare talent that could take a level of pressure off Luck and the offense.

I view Cook as a luxury pick because of the value of the position, relative to the quality depth in this draft. You'll be able to draft a starter quality RB in the 3rd or 4th round, whereas there's a much steeper drop-off in defensive talent after the 1st round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shive said:

I view Cook as a luxury pick because of the value of the position, relative to the quality depth in this draft. You'll be able to draft a starter quality RB in the 3rd or 4th round, whereas there's a much steeper drop-off in defensive talent after the 1st round.

 

Starter quality RB vs. Top tier talent RB is really the question here. Now, if Cook and Fournette are off the board by the time the Colts pick then taking a RB comes off the table. You take Cook because if he's there, he is considered a top 10 talent where the Colts will be picking at 14-15. And as I mentioned previously, RB isn't exactly a luxury pick when Gore is 34 and there is no other RB on the team that doesn't have question marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Restored said:

Why are people perceiving Dalvin Cook as a luxury pick? Gore is at the age where he could fall off a cliff production-wise and there is no formidable option behind him. Cook also is a rare talent that could take a level of pressure off Luck and the offense.

For me, it's purely wanting to fix, or at least TRY to fix, the unit that needs the most improvement on the team.  That to me is the defense.  The offense was a top 10 unit.  The defense was a bottom 5 unit.  And on that unit, the most glaring need IMHO is pass rush, although each level could stand some upgrades.  For me, it is no more complicated than that.  I try to keep this simple.

 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Dalvin Cook.  But with only 1 1st round pick, I want a defensive guy that can get to the QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Restored said:

 

Starter quality RB vs. Top tier talent RB is really the question here. Now, if Cook and Fournette are off the board by the time the Colts pick then taking a RB comes off the table. You take Cook because if he's there, he is considered a top 10 talent where the Colts will be picking at 14-15. And as I mentioned previously, RB isn't exactly a luxury pick when Gore is 34 and there is no other RB on the team that doesn't have question marks.

Because running the ball starts with the offensive line.  Add in the fact that running backs often have a short shelf life, why spend a premium pick on one?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Restored said:

Why are people perceiving Dalvin Cook as a luxury pick? Gore is at the age where he could fall off a cliff production-wise and there is no formidable option behind him. Cook also is a rare talent that could take a level of pressure off Luck and the offense.

 

Cook is viewed by many here as a luxury pick because (A) there's a popular school of thought that a team (any team) should not draft a running back in the first round.      Not enough value.

 

And (B) this is a very rare and deep draft class for running backs, so if you don't take a 1st round RB,  you can always find a very good RB in the next two or three rounds or so.

 

That's why the view on Cooks by many here.

 

The question becomes,  does Ballard share that view?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ALL RBs are luxury picks. One of the most overrated and useless positions, as is Safety. Look at how badly DeMarco Murray flopped after leaving the Cowboys.

 

I'd even take an elite Kicker or Punter over an elite RB any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

ALL RBs are luxury picks. One of the most overrated and useless positions, as is Safety. Look at how badly DeMarco Murray flopped after leaving the Cowboys.

 

I'd even take an elite Kicker or Punter over an elite RB any day.

A ball hawking free safety is very valuable.  Not that they are easy to find....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2017 at 7:49 AM, richard pallo said:

NFL analyst Brent Sobleski just posted an article listing every teams "Dream Target" in the draft.  For the Colts he came up with Dalvin Cook.  Mentioning Andrew needs Cook like Peyton had James.  Interesting other choices if Cook wasn't there.  2nd. OT Cam Robinson, 3rd. DE Derek Barnett, 4th. CB  Sidney Jones.  I thought it was interesting he chose Robinson since every one is so focussed on defense.  We do know how Ballard views the trenches though.  It's amazing how many times Cooks name keeps coming up in the mocks. 

 

So many analysts do NOT follow the 32 teams close enough to know what needs a team has.

 

So, in general they know the Colts had a mostly below average line and that the strength of the line is the left side.      They see that the right side is up in the air and they just plug in a right tackle like Robinson.     What they don't know is how well Clark did down the stretch.     This will be almost like Breaking News for them down the road when it's apparent.

 

Don't be too surprised when you see these kind of predictions.      It's not that they know something you don't.    It's that YOU know something THEY don't!        Really.        Seriously.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Foster forsure. We need an identity and a gamechanger on defense, he'd bring both.

It'd be a miracle if he made it to us at this point. Great to dream about, but probably not very likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taco Charlton, Solomon Thomas, and the most realistic target is hasaan Reddick. His elite athletic ability makes him a legit pass rusher and edge setter in the run game. Has pass coverage skills that would bring a unique dynamic to our D. I think he runs something in the 4.48-4.5 range. Hopefully he's still adding weight and comes in around 245. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2017 at 8:35 PM, AZColt11 said:

For me, it's purely wanting to fix, or at least TRY to fix, the unit that needs the most improvement on the team.  That to me is the defense.  The offense was a top 10 unit.  The defense was a bottom 5 unit.  And on that unit, the most glaring need IMHO is pass rush, although each level could stand some upgrades.  For me, it is no more complicated than that.  I try to keep this simple.

 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Dalvin Cook.  But with only 1 1st round pick, I want a defensive guy that can get to the QB.

 

Look, I completely understand the defense needs fixing. But why would the Colts spend a pick on a defensive player that they may be reaching early for simply because he's a defensive player? In that situation, you take the best player available and by most account's that I've read, Cook would be the best player if he is indeed available.

 

 

On 2/24/2017 at 11:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

Cook is viewed by many here as a luxury pick because (A) there's a popular school of thought that a team (any team) should not draft a running back in the first round.      Not enough value.

 

And (B) this is a very rare and deep draft class for running backs, so if you don't take a 1st round RB,  you can always find a very good RB in the next two or three rounds or so.

 

That's why the view on Cooks by many here.

 

The question becomes,  does Ballard share that view?

 

 

I typically agree with that notion taking a RB in the first round isn't justifiable. However, Cook and Fournette are fairly ahead of the other RB's in this class and if either one of them are available, you take them. 

 

On 2/24/2017 at 10:47 PM, BOTT said:

Because running the ball starts with the offensive line.  Add in the fact that running backs often have a short shelf life, why spend a premium pick on one?

 

Because he's a premium talent. You're looking a top 10, possibly top 8 player who would be available to you at 14/15. You'd be getting a high return for the draft pick slot you're in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2017 at 1:28 PM, rock8591 said:

Look at how badly DeMarco Murray flopped after leaving the Cowboys.

 

dude you are clueless

 

murray was second in the league in rushing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

dude you are clueless

 

murray was second in the league in rushing

 

Nitpicking, but he was 3rd last year and 27th the year before with Philly.  I believe the poster was referring to how badly Murray was with the Eagles, the year after he left Dallas, which was a poor fit for his running style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it's going to depend on who's available when the Colts pick. If someone like Thomas or Foster is available as well as Cook, I'd have a hard time selecting Cook. But if the elite D prospects are off the board and Fournette and/or Cook are there, I'd take them in a heart beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2017 at 1:28 PM, rock8591 said:

ALL RBs are luxury picks. One of the most overrated and useless positions, as is Safety. Look at how badly DeMarco Murray flopped after leaving the Cowboys.

 

I'd even take an elite Kicker or Punter over an elite RB any day.

 

  :headspin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Restored said:

 

Look, I completely understand the defense needs fixing. But why would the Colts spend a pick on a defensive player that they may be reaching early for simply because he's a defensive player? In that situation, you take the best player available and by most account's that I've read, Cook would be the best player if he is indeed available.

 

 

I typically agree with that notion taking a RB in the first round isn't justifiable. However, Cook and Fournette are fairly ahead of the other RB's in this class and if either one of them are available, you take them. 

 

Because he's a premium talent. You're looking a top 10, possibly top 8 player who would be available to you at 14/15. You'd be getting a high return for the draft pick slot you're in.

 

 

To be clear,  and for what it's worth,   I have Fournette 5th on my Board and Cook is 10th.     So, I agree with that assessment.       I have McCaffrey in the 20's,  I'm still trying to peg him in his correct spot for now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Restored said:

 

Look, I completely understand the defense needs fixing. But why would the Colts spend a pick on a defensive player that they may be reaching early for simply because he's a defensive player? In that situation, you take the best player available and by most account's that I've read, Cook would be the best player if he is indeed available.

 

 

I typically agree with that notion taking a RB in the first round isn't justifiable. However, Cook and Fournette are fairly ahead of the other RB's in this class and if either one of them are available, you take them. 

 

Because he's a premium talent. You're looking a top 10, possibly top 8 player who would be available to you at 14/15. You'd be getting a high return for the draft pick slot you're in.

A premium talent at a low value position.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BOTT said:

A premium talent at a low value position.  

 

I think you're drastically underestimating the effect a good RB could have on this offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dream pick is a first rounder who actually produces, that is it. This team needs some one who can help take the pressure off of Luck and Ty...if that's and edge rusher or ILB or CB or even a RB, don't matter, as long as they are HEALTHY and produce, we are going to be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Restored said:

 

I think you're drastically underestimating the effect a good RB could have on this offense.

Having a quick rhythm passing game would do much more for this offense than a 1st round RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to be able to trade down, Get Tim Williams in the bottom of the first, and Charles harris at the Top of the 2nd and Christian McCafferney in the Middle of the Second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BOTT said:

Having a quick rhythm passing game would do much more for this offense than a 1st round RB.

 

Except when you can't run the ball and teams sit and squat on your short routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Restored said:

 

I think you're drastically underestimating the effect a good RB could have on this offense.

Possibly. I think the effect having a better offense will have on the overall team is being greatly exaggerated though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Restored said:

 

Except when you can't run the ball and teams sit and squat on your short routes.

I think the colts can run the ball. I admit they need to upgrade the RB position, gore leaves some yards on the field, but I would vomit if they spent a first on a RB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Freeupfreeney said:

I would love to be able to trade down, Get Tim Williams in the bottom of the first, and Charles harris at the Top of the 2nd and Christian McCafferney in the Middle of the Second.

 

I'm no expert, but I think I've seen every Bama game and TBH I think Williams is overrated.  Bama's D was so good, it may be that he wasn't needed on every play, but it seems to me he disappeared a lot.  Especially in big games.

 

I could be way off on this, just my observations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

I'm no expert, but I think I've seen every Bama game and TBH I think Williams is overrated.  Bama's D was so good, it may be that he wasn't needed on every play, but it seems to me he disappeared a lot.  Especially in big games.

 

I could be way off on this, just my observations.

Yeah dude, you are. I really don't know where all this bashing on Williams is coming from. Dude is almost a perfect prospect. I'm lost on peoples critique on him, because he looks awesome on tape. But I did a thread on it, check it out. Just watch the draftbreakdown videos and you'll see. except the WVU game, because you know how they play. a bunch of run and gun and wildcat. I didn't see the Clemson game, they said he did bad, but the way people are just making stuff up, he probably did pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Freeupfreeney said:

Yeah dude, you are. I really don't know where all this bashing on Williams is coming from. Dude is almost a perfect prospect. I'm lost on peoples critique on him, because he looks awesome on tape. But I did a thread on it, check it out. Just watch the draftbreakdown videos and you'll see. except the WVU game, because you know how they play. a bunch of run and gun and wildcat. I didn't see the Clemson game, they said he did bad, but the way people are just making stuff up, he probably did pretty good.

 

Dude?  Yeah, he did nothing in the biggest game of the year.   

 

Look...dude...I'm no Bama hater.  (I'm currently paying a tuition there).  I think we can agree they had one of the most talented defenses maybe ever in CFB.  Which means offenses had a hard time game planning to mitigate one or two players.  

 

That being said, he had plenty of opportunity and took advantage of them against most teams as a pass rusher.  But he's not very strong against the run and he didn't need to be.  Again, just this ...dudes...opinion.  If the Colts draft him I'll wear my Bama shirt to work, just like I did last year.  Even though I'm a Buckeye.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2017 at 9:20 AM, Restored said:

 

Look, I completely understand the defense needs fixing. But why would the Colts spend a pick on a defensive player that they may be reaching early for simply because he's a defensive player? In that situation, you take the best player available and by most account's that I've read, Cook would be the best player if he is indeed available.

 

Well yeah, I think it depends on who is there.  Me personally, I have about 10 defensive guys rated over Cook though, and I'm betting one of them is there for the Colts.  Of course, if they are all gone, then you have a decision to make if Cook is still on the board.  But I don't see it happening either way.  I think Cook goes before the Colts and I think one of the defenders is still there because of it.  Really, it only matters what Ballard sees though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I'd like to see the Colts get Taquan "Smoke" Mizzell if they decide to draft a RB. Smoke to me could be a Darren Sproles type player for the team and could contribute on offense and special teams immediately. He's also the only player in ACC history with 1,500+ career rushing and 1,500+ career receiving yards. Probably would be between a 4-6 round pick. I'd be okay selecting a back at that point, though I'm not opposed to Cook in round one if there's not a better defensive player available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I think the Colts will lean toward their #1 pick to being a starter week 1. The front rows need to be better first, then the 2nd row can become a focus.
    • Dillard is the top left tackle prospect in the draft...   the chances of him being  available at 26 are almost zero.   He should be gone between 10-25...   hard to see this happening...  
    • hoping in this case, Luck is his friend. if so, let it be.
    • So I go to college in tn. About 3 hrs from Nashville. Considering going for the first round but have a big exam Friday morning. Really wanting to go down for day 2. Anyone know if the atmosphere in nashville will be good? Supposed to be really accessible but will I waste a trip to stand in a mob of people with no view? thanks!! 
    • Honestly, I wouldn't hang it on the OL. Luck is one of the best in TT (time to throw), which is how long it takes him to get the ball out. His year average is 2.63 (top 10 close to Brady and Rivers). His average for the KC game was 2.86.   Might not seem like a big difference, but 2.86 puts him in the 10 worst category. A higher TT can mean thee things, or a combo. Either your line is giving you a lot of time, your a dancer or QB that leaves the pocket a lot, or your WRs are covered up and you can't throw as fast as you want, or both. Lucks not a frequent dancer. In the case of the KC game, our WRs were covered up.    Luck had a similar TT vs Buffalo, who was the #1 pass defense in the league (TY was doubled and only had 25 yards that game). We beat Buffalo badly, but it was more because they turned the ball over 5 times and we had a great running game. Didn't hurt that they have one of the worst Os either.   Jax was also a bad one for Lucks TT, and they are #2 passing defense that also doubled TY.    Check out NextGen stats if you are interested.
  • Members

    • Coltsfan66

      Coltsfan66 40

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Douzer

      Douzer 930

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IndySouthsider

      IndySouthsider 228

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • AntonMcG

      AntonMcG 1,300

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • w87r

      w87r 241

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Irish YJ

      Irish YJ 358

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Caleb3502

      Caleb3502 483

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 1,738

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shepman

      Shepman 218

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • RNGDShobby

      RNGDShobby 116

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...