Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Dream Target" for the draft.

2 hours ago, Restored said:

Why are people perceiving Dalvin Cook as a luxury pick? Gore is at the age where he could fall off a cliff production-wise and there is no formidable option behind him. Cook also is a rare talent that could take a level of pressure off Luck and the offense.

I view Cook as a luxury pick because of the value of the position, relative to the quality depth in this draft. You'll be able to draft a starter quality RB in the 3rd or 4th round, whereas there's a much steeper drop-off in defensive talent after the 1st round.

5 hours ago, Shive said:

I view Cook as a luxury pick because of the value of the position, relative to the quality depth in this draft. You'll be able to draft a starter quality RB in the 3rd or 4th round, whereas there's a much steeper drop-off in defensive talent after the 1st round.

Starter quality RB vs. Top tier talent RB is really the question here. Now, if Cook and Fournette are off the board by the time the Colts pick then taking a RB comes off the table. You take Cook because if he's there, he is considered a top 10 talent where the Colts will be picking at 14-15. And as I mentioned previously, RB isn't exactly a luxury pick when Gore is 34 and there is no other RB on the team that doesn't have question marks.

12 hours ago, Restored said:

Why are people perceiving Dalvin Cook as a luxury pick? Gore is at the age where he could fall off a cliff production-wise and there is no formidable option behind him. Cook also is a rare talent that could take a level of pressure off Luck and the offense.

For me, it's purely wanting to fix, or at least TRY to fix, the unit that needs the most improvement on the team.  That to me is the defense.  The offense was a top 10 unit.  The defense was a bottom 5 unit.  And on that unit, the most glaring need IMHO is pass rush, although each level could stand some upgrades.  For me, it is no more complicated than that.  I try to keep this simple.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Dalvin Cook.  But with only 1 1st round pick, I want a defensive guy that can get to the QB.

7 hours ago, Restored said:

Starter quality RB vs. Top tier talent RB is really the question here. Now, if Cook and Fournette are off the board by the time the Colts pick then taking a RB comes off the table. You take Cook because if he's there, he is considered a top 10 talent where the Colts will be picking at 14-15. And as I mentioned previously, RB isn't exactly a luxury pick when Gore is 34 and there is no other RB on the team that doesn't have question marks.

Because running the ball starts with the offensive line.  Add in the fact that running backs often have a short shelf life, why spend a premium pick on one?

15 hours ago, Restored said:

Cook is viewed by many here as a luxury pick because (A) there's a popular school of thought that a team (any team) should not draft a running back in the first round.      Not enough value.

And (B) this is a very rare and deep draft class for running backs, so if you don't take a 1st round RB,  you can always find a very good RB in the next two or three rounds or so.

That's why the view on Cooks by many here.

The question becomes,  does Ballard share that view?

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

ALL RBs are luxury picks. One of the most overrated and useless positions, as is Safety. Look at how badly DeMarco Murray flopped after leaving the Cowboys.

I'd even take an elite Kicker or Punter over an elite RB any day.

A ball hawking free safety is very valuable.  Not that they are easy to find....

On 2/21/2017 at 7:49 AM, richard pallo said:

NFL analyst Brent Sobleski just posted an article listing every teams "Dream Target" in the draft.  For the Colts he came up with Dalvin Cook.  Mentioning Andrew needs Cook like Peyton had James.  Interesting other choices if Cook wasn't there.  2nd. OT Cam Robinson, 3rd. DE Derek Barnett, 4th. CB  Sidney Jones.  I thought it was interesting he chose Robinson since every one is so focussed on defense.  We do know how Ballard views the trenches though.  It's amazing how many times Cooks name keeps coming up in the mocks. 

So many analysts do NOT follow the 32 teams close enough to know what needs a team has.

So, in general they know the Colts had a mostly below average line and that the strength of the line is the left side.      They see that the right side is up in the air and they just plug in a right tackle like Robinson.     What they don't know is how well Clark did down the stretch.     This will be almost like Breaking News for them down the road when it's apparent.

Don't be too surprised when you see these kind of predictions.      It's not that they know something you don't.    It's that YOU know something THEY don't!        Really.        Seriously.

Taco Charlton, Solomon Thomas, and the most realistic target is hasaan Reddick. His elite athletic ability makes him a legit pass rusher and edge setter in the run game. Has pass coverage skills that would bring a unique dynamic to our D. I think he runs something in the 4.48-4.5 range. Hopefully he's still adding weight and comes in around 245. 

On 2/24/2017 at 8:35 PM, AZColt11 said:

For me, it's purely wanting to fix, or at least TRY to fix, the unit that needs the most improvement on the team.  That to me is the defense.  The offense was a top 10 unit.  The defense was a bottom 5 unit.  And on that unit, the most glaring need IMHO is pass rush, although each level could stand some upgrades.  For me, it is no more complicated than that.  I try to keep this simple.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have Dalvin Cook.  But with only 1 1st round pick, I want a defensive guy that can get to the QB.

Look, I completely understand the defense needs fixing. But why would the Colts spend a pick on a defensive player that they may be reaching early for simply because he's a defensive player? In that situation, you take the best player available and by most account's that I've read, Cook would be the best player if he is indeed available.

On 2/24/2017 at 11:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Cook is viewed by many here as a luxury pick because (A) there's a popular school of thought that a team (any team) should not draft a running back in the first round.      Not enough value.

And (B) this is a very rare and deep draft class for running backs, so if you don't take a 1st round RB,  you can always find a very good RB in the next two or three rounds or so.

That's why the view on Cooks by many here.

The question becomes,  does Ballard share that view?

I typically agree with that notion taking a RB in the first round isn't justifiable. However, Cook and Fournette are fairly ahead of the other RB's in this class and if either one of them are available, you take them. 

On 2/24/2017 at 10:47 PM, BOTT said:

Because running the ball starts with the offensive line.  Add in the fact that running backs often have a short shelf life, why spend a premium pick on one?

Because he's a premium talent. You're looking a top 10, possibly top 8 player who would be available to you at 14/15. You'd be getting a high return for the draft pick slot you're in.

7 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

dude you are clueless

murray was second in the league in rushing

Nitpicking, but he was 3rd last year and 27th the year before with Philly.  I believe the poster was referring to how badly Murray was with the Eagles, the year after he left Dallas, which was a poor fit for his running style.

4 hours ago, Restored said:

Look, I completely understand the defense needs fixing. But why would the Colts spend a pick on a defensive player that they may be reaching early for simply because he's a defensive player? In that situation, you take the best player available and by most account's that I've read, Cook would be the best player if he is indeed available.

I typically agree with that notion taking a RB in the first round isn't justifiable. However, Cook and Fournette are fairly ahead of the other RB's in this class and if either one of them are available, you take them. 

Because he's a premium talent. You're looking a top 10, possibly top 8 player who would be available to you at 14/15. You'd be getting a high return for the draft pick slot you're in.

To be clear,  and for what it's worth,   I have Fournette 5th on my Board and Cook is 10th.     So, I agree with that assessment.       I have McCaffrey in the 20's,  I'm still trying to peg him in his correct spot for now.

8 hours ago, Restored said:

A premium talent at a low value position.  

6 hours ago, Restored said:

Except when you can't run the ball and teams sit and squat on your short routes.

I think the colts can run the ball. I admit they need to upgrade the RB position, gore leaves some yards on the field, but I would vomit if they spent a first on a RB.

21 hours ago, Freeupfreeney said:

I would love to be able to trade down, Get Tim Williams in the bottom of the first, and Charles harris at the Top of the 2nd and Christian McCafferney in the Middle of the Second.

I'm no expert, but I think I've seen every Bama game and TBH I think Williams is overrated.  Bama's D was so good, it may be that he wasn't needed on every play, but it seems to me he disappeared a lot.  Especially in big games.

I could be way off on this, just my observations.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I'm no expert, but I think I've seen every Bama game and TBH I think Williams is overrated.  Bama's D was so good, it may be that he wasn't needed on every play, but it seems to me he disappeared a lot.  Especially in big games.

I could be way off on this, just my observations.

Yeah dude, you are. I really don't know where all this bashing on Williams is coming from. Dude is almost a perfect prospect. I'm lost on peoples critique on him, because he looks awesome on tape. But I did a thread on it, check it out. Just watch the draftbreakdown videos and you'll see. except the WVU game, because you know how they play. a bunch of run and gun and wildcat. I didn't see the Clemson game, they said he did bad, but the way people are just making stuff up, he probably did pretty good.

52 minutes ago, Freeupfreeney said:

Yeah dude, you are. I really don't know where all this bashing on Williams is coming from. Dude is almost a perfect prospect. I'm lost on peoples critique on him, because he looks awesome on tape. But I did a thread on it, check it out. Just watch the draftbreakdown videos and you'll see. except the WVU game, because you know how they play. a bunch of run and gun and wildcat. I didn't see the Clemson game, they said he did bad, but the way people are just making stuff up, he probably did pretty good.

Dude?  Yeah, he did nothing in the biggest game of the year.   

Look...dude...I'm no Bama hater.  (I'm currently paying a tuition there).  I think we can agree they had one of the most talented defenses maybe ever in CFB.  Which means offenses had a hard time game planning to mitigate one or two players.  

That being said, he had plenty of opportunity and took advantage of them against most teams as a pass rusher.  But he's not very strong against the run and he didn't need to be.  Again, just this ...dudes...opinion.  If the Colts draft him I'll wear my Bama shirt to work, just like I did last year.  Even though I'm a Buckeye.  

On 2/27/2017 at 9:20 AM, Restored said:

Well yeah, I think it depends on who is there.  Me personally, I have about 10 defensive guys rated over Cook though, and I'm betting one of them is there for the Colts.  Of course, if they are all gone, then you have a decision to make if Cook is still on the board.  But I don't see it happening either way.  I think Cook goes before the Colts and I think one of the defenders is still there because of it.  Really, it only matters what Ballard sees though.

Personally I'd like to see the Colts get Taquan "Smoke" Mizzell if they decide to draft a RB. Smoke to me could be a Darren Sproles type player for the team and could contribute on offense and special teams immediately. He's also the only player in ACC history with 1,500+ career rushing and 1,500+ career receiving yards. Probably would be between a 4-6 round pick. I'd be okay selecting a back at that point, though I'm not opposed to Cook in round one if there's not a better defensive player available.