Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey

On 2/19/2017 at 2:37 PM, dgambill said:

Indeed.....I be ticked if we got McCaffrey.....I mean we got 4.3 speedster in Dorsett that we never throw a screen to or run a reverse for...I mean we basically ignore...so this would be a waste of riches.

You people kill me.
 Your QB can`t hit him. Lucky waits for guys that are wide open.
  In year 5 he showed very slight improvement over season ONE with his ability to throw quick passes
 that are right on the money like the Big Boys do.

It was so fun in the Playoffs watching Prescott, Brady, Rogers, Ryan, Wilson, Big Ben throwing all those belt high BBZ in front of the pass catchers. Great football! Just not our guy.
 Lucky is just not a top QB at throwingbbz. lol

On 2/19/2017 at 8:34 PM, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't get why anyone thinks NE would draft him, when they have both Lewis, and White already.. just don't get that lol. 

Just curious if you know how many years they have those two on contract for, because you know they don't do a whole lot of re-signing skill positions. If it's only a year or two I could see them doing it then trying to dump one or both as trade bait. 

Just watched the RB drills at the combine.  McCaffrey really looked terrific.  I thought he looked better than Fournette or Cook.  His agility and footwork is amazing not to mention his speed.  He can cut and accelerate on a dime.  Great natural receiver as Falk and Maycock pointed out.  Great route runner.   A definite 1st. round talent.  This is going to be an interesting choice when it comes to our pick.  As a side note on the OL drills in the morning.  Forrest Lamp, a guard,  was one of the stars.  They mentioned three teams where he could land in the 1st. rd. and we were one of them at 15.  An immediate plug and play player who would start day one.  

25 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Lighter than both of them, 37 lbs. lighter than Fournette.

And has strength issues, only 10 reps on bench.

The NFL in 2017 seems to lend itself to RBs that are less reliable on overall power, so I'm actually fine with that. He looks lethal in the passing game too, like a legit matchup nightmare.

Great write up @Superman, sadly (?) it looks like he's going to have a solid combine so the chances of him sliding far enough for us to pick up in the 2nd are 0, not that they were probably that good anyway. I can't seen Ballard in his 1st year reaching for him at 15. Maybe if we traded back.

Shame, I really think he could be a great player in the NFL if used correctly. I share the concerns above that Chud would get the best out of this sort of player.

26 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The NFL in 2017 seems to lend itself to RBs that are less reliable on overall power, so I'm actually fine with that. He looks lethal in the passing game too, like a legit matchup nightmare.

I'm afraid he wont be durable enough for us, especially to warrant a 1st or 2nd round pick.

His receiving ability will be the best part of his game. We should be able to get a scat back later in draft. We need defense with our high picks unless it's a rb that we can expect to handle carrying the rock.

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Great write up @Superman, sadly (?) it looks like he's going to have a solid combine so the chances of him sliding far enough for us to pick up in the 2nd are 0, not that they were probably that good anyway. I can't seen Ballard in his 1st year reaching for him at 15. Maybe if we traded back.

Shame, I really think he could be a great player in the NFL if used correctly. I share the concerns above that Chud would get the best out of this sort of player.

May as well give him a Patriots helmet now.  Heard Brandon Marshall wants to go there too.  

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'm afraid he wont be durable enough for us, especially to warrant a 1st or 2nd round pick.

His receiving ability will be the best part of his game. We should be able to get a scat back later in draft.

With him, Gore, & Turbin, they probably, he'd be a situational back. He'd be in on early and passing downs between the 20s, but never on the field in goal line or 3rd & short situations. I'd guess there's about zero chance he ends up on the Colts though.

On 2/19/2017 at 7:58 PM, chad72 said:

He is a quicker Shane Vereen, IMO. Shane Vereen was a late 2nd rounder with similar size that could fill in for Jahvid Best at Cal. and produce just as well as the starter when given a chance. The difference is McCaffrey actually got the chance for several years. The size is similar enough that they can run between the tackles to the tune of 10-15 carries if given a chance. However, I do see a better twitch in the passing game than Shane Vereen. In the right system, he can play off the charts. 

Bill obviously listens to me when it comes to positional value.

I think that that hip injury played a big par in his play. Look at the 2016 Vs USC vs the 2015 Vs USC

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/christian-mccaffrey-vs-usc-2016/

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/christian-mccaffrey-vs-usc-2015-2/

Now I know it's no the same players but I'm a Trojan fan, and the defensive level was basically the same for both years.

Look how much faster he is in 2015 compared to 2016. Look how much quicker he gets vertical.

His senior year could be way better.

I'm gonna mention 2 things about him tough...how well would this guy have played had he been in the SEC and...

Now I'm gonna say something yall not gonna like, But remember, it's not my words but his words.

McCafrenny said once "I don't get he respect I should because I'm white"

Somewhere there is a troll working gat NFL.com, Just waiting for him to say I again.

Somebody already asked him today if he feels "Disrespected" but didn't mention race. That's one of those off the field things that are going to drop his status. I can tell by his answer he said, "I don't feel (super) disrespected" but he said he plays with a chip on his shoulder. So they will be digging. Hopefully he isn't dumb enough to fall for the trap.

But if he does...Welcome to the 4th round buddy. That statement from last year is what really dropped his status to where he is now, because he should be a no questions asked top 20 prospect.

If we can get him in the 2nd round, we will not be sorry. As long as he keeps his mouth shut.

(My personal opinion, I can see where he thinks he should be talked about more, but maybe if he could hear the broadcasters talking about him, hed realize he was all they were talking about.)