Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Washington CB Sidney Jones

Junior corner for the Huskies, three year starter. This is pre-Combine, so some of my assumptions might be off; I'm going to project his workout numbers.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/sidney-jones-1.html

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/sidney-jones/

Size: Listed at 6'0", 181 pounds, decent arm length, slim, narrow build, not very muscular, has the frame to put on some muscle and get stronger. 3/5

Athleticism: Quick feet, good change of direction and movement ability, hips open and flip well, but a little deliberate, strides well, average long speed. I don't think much of his makeup speed if/when he gets beat, and he can be run away from on crossing routes. He can shift and come downhill quickly, closes well in short areas, both blitzing and in run support. I don't think he'll have an outstanding Combine, although I think he's definitely athletic enough to be a full time player, I'd project him to run a 4.6ish 40 with a good 10 yard split, decent vertical and broad jump. 7/10

Fluidity: Good hips, although his hip flip is mostly predetermined in bail coverage, good bend and change of direction. Stays balanced and mirrors well, but susceptible to double moves. Also susceptible to getting beat off the line by shifty receivers. Can get around blockers with quickness. Not sure he can play nickel every down. 7/10

Physicality: Lacking, especially at the point of attack. Will be outworked on screen plays, as he can't disengage from a good block. At the top of a route, can be separated from, especially against physical receivers who push off, even slightly. Willing to get his hands on receivers off the line, and when he does, he can stay balanced and redirect, especially at the boundary. Prone to being a little grabby. Breaks down well in space and in run support, but misses a lot of tackles because of lack of power and recklessness, sometimes comes in too high. 6/10

Technical ability: Good hand placement, using hands and feet in concert with each other, using opposite hand to bump and run. Good mirror ability, but can get lost on crossing routes and combo routes; hard to gauge due to being predominantly in zone, with a lot of off man coverage. Uses his body well to shield off receivers, especially in the red zone. Good awareness, can track the ball in the air and over his shoulder. Susceptible to being beat off the line by quick receivers, sometimes over aggressive at the snap. Always lines up at LCB, not sure about his technique from any other spot. 7/10

Run game/tackling: Willing, but not overly capable. Feisty and scrappy, but seems disinterested in plays going away from him. Does break down well, can take out the legs of a ball carrier, but his slightness of frame makes him only so capable. 3/5

Ball skills: Tracks well, average ability in the air, good balance, goes at the receivers hands when the ball arrives. Doesn't get a lot of opportunities to make plays on the ball, most of the completions he gives up are underneath, QBs seem to go away from him. 4/5

Consistency: Always engaged at the snap, times his jams well every play, can be beat deep when multiple receivers are in his area. Could be prone to lapses if he had to play man coverage every down. 3/5

Overall: 40/60, 60%, 2nd rounder, likely starter due to good coverage ability, what he lacks is mostly in size and physicality, which isn't going to hold him back as a starting corner. I think he'll probably be rated higher by most others; I haven't looked at any other scouting reports for him. 

Scheme fit: With coaching, he'll be a good man coverage corner. I assume he can play both sides, I wonder about his ability in the slot but I think he has the feet and awareness to shift inside.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

4.6ish 40 won't get him drafted in the 1st round, so I think your second round ranking makes sense if that's what he runs in a few days. But it seems like what I thought is true which is that he isn't the 2nd coming of Marcus Peters.

He's not Marcus Peters, that's for sure. Peters was obviously bigger, more physical, and made more plays.

Greg Toler had a similar frame coming out of college.

Just to clarify, 4.6ish could be 4.55. It wouldn't surprise me if he runs a better 40 than I expect, but I don't see impressive speed on the field, especially long speed. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

He's not Marcus Peters, that's for sure. Peters was obviously bigger, more physical, and made more plays.

Greg Toler had a similar frame coming out of college.

Just to clarify, 4.6ish could be 4.55. It wouldn't surprise me if he runs a better 40 than I expect, but I don't see impressive speed on the field, especially long speed. 

I trust your evaluations so I won't bother watching tape on him because your summary is basically what I guessed about him. Too many people looked at his height and the school and anointed him as a Peters clone. I'd hope Ballard wouldn't look at him till the 2nd. Much rather have a guy like Quincy Wilson if we go CB round 1.

9 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

What? He is polished In man coverage. It's where he excels. 

Where he excels? Well considering Washington is pro dominantly a zone scheme I question where you got that from. He's not bad in man coverage, but clearly struggles with foot speed and inside routes. He's much better at reading the QB and reacting on the ball 

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

Where he excels? Well considering Washington is pro dominantly a zone scheme I question where you got that from. He's not bad in man coverage, but clearly struggles with foot speed and inside routes. He's much better at reading the QB and reacting on the ball 

I disagree. He's one of my favorite players in the draft. He is great in man coverage, can stick to receivers. Only negative about him imo is his slender build. But I'm sure he can add some weight. And I think he runs a 4.4 at the combine. 

Name: Sidney Jones

School: Washington

Position fit: Cornerback

Stats to know: Jones didn’t allow a single touchdown in coverage in 2016.

What he does best:

• Excels at playing press man coverage
  • Excellent ball skills; has a great feel for breaking up or intercepting passes while avoiding blatant contact
  • Keeps low in his initial back-pedal until his receiver declares his route
  • Good recovery burst of speed if beaten off the line in press
  • Willing hitter and finished season with 77.5 run-defense grade
  • Tremendous footwork and balance allows him to play tight coverage off the line
  • Breaks on the ball well in zone coverage
  • Effective at cutting off routes in the red zone
  • Doesn’t allow his man to score touchdowns
  • Scares opposing offensive coordinators, only targeted 48 times (tied for 201st in the country) in the pass-heavy Pac-12
  • 7 coverage snaps per reception ranked No. 17 in the draft class

Biggest concern:

• Not as effective in off coverage as he is tight man coverage
  • Needs to get physically stronger
  • Can get pushed around at the top of route stems; receivers can separate, particularly on horizontal routes
  • Height is good for the position but he has a thin frame
  • Missed 11 tackles over the last two seasons

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-sidney-jones-cb-washington/

http://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/forget-about-scheme-heres-the-universal-2017-cb-prospect/

I would like his companion who ran with him at safety, Budha Baker. Reminds me of Sanders. Not afraid of anything, and Wash. coaches say hand timed 40 speed of 4.3. Most have him beginning of second round. If we cannot find a pass rusher we want, I would not mind someone like Tabor in the first paired with Baker in the second. Instant upgrades of secondary!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2017 at 5:28 PM, Superman said:

I don't think he'll have an outstanding Combine, although I think he's definitely athletic enough to be a full time player, I'd project him to run a 4.6ish 40 with a good 10 yard split, decent vertical and broad jump.

He ran 4.47, better than I thought. Decent vertical of 33", decent broad jump of 123". I don't know what his 10 yard split was.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

He ran 4.47, better than I thought. Decent vertical of 33", decent broad jump of 123". I don't know what his 10 yard split was.

He had good numbers and he played in a conference that throws the ball - a lot.

My concern would be if he can take an NFL pounding.  These guys do have to tackle.

Projected 1st rounder by some, most likely won't be available by our second?

14 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He had good numbers and he played in a conference that throws the ball - a lot.

My concern would be if he can take an NFL pounding.  These guys do have to tackle.

Projected 1st rounder by some, most likely won't be available by our second?

He'd be a boundary corner. Unless he has issues that I'm not aware of, I wouldn't be too concerned with him holding up.

I don't see him making it out of the top 25. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

He'd be a boundary corner. Unless he has issues that I'm not aware of, I wouldn't be too concerned with him holding up.

I don't see him making it out of the top 25. 

I know but gosh darn there are a lot of nice defenders in this draft SOMEBODY has to fall to us in the second that we don't expect....and that's EXCITING. I'm following a lot of corners for that second daypick. Fingers crossed.

I don't like thinned framed football players, especially tall/lanky body typs.  WR and possibly CB is the only place I would even consider it.  Although you draft BPA, I am of the opinion that a BPA CB at #15 would be as valuable to the defense as a BPA EDGE/OLB.  

I don't think Jones is that player.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

How do you feel about Taco Charlton?

NFL offensive lines will eat Taco for lunch.  that's not an indictment on Taco's abilities or lack thereof, but rather an indication of the type of puns he'll have to put up with due to his stupid name. lol