Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kelvin Beachum

The Jaguars just decided not to pick up the option on 27 yr. old starting LT Kelvin Beachum by 4PM today.  If they picked it up he would have been under their control for 4yrs.  The option was for 35.5M with 13M guaranteed.  He now becomes a FA.  Not sure if he can sign with a new team right away or if he has to wait for FA to start.   With so many people talking about moving AC to RT and finding a new LT maybe this is worth investigating?  Thoughts.

I think Costanzos natural position has all along been a RT. His run blocking is his best attribute, a mauler that also gets to the second level well. But he's not what you want protecting your blind side. Ima go watch some Jags games see how Beachum looks but home boy up top is right he might get a big pay day. I dont agree with RG being our biggest need, Joe Haeg is extremely solid just needs to spend the off season getting stronger.

We need a RG. Haeg and Clark can battle it out for the RT spot. We just need a TJ Lang type beast and our OL is set.

I would agree though that AC, (while a solid LT most of the time) is a true RT. We need a Smith, Thomas, etc type monster at LT, but again Castanzo is still a really good player, maybe borderline top 10-12ish LT in the league. He was top 5 a couple years ago. He was a lot better this year than last. He needs to be consistent and be a rock all year, buy as long as the rest of our line is good we're fine with AC.

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

I think we're rolling in with next year with Castonzo at LT. It's the RG position where I think we may make a move.  There are a lot of teams desperate for an LT, Beachum may land a decent contact for himself. 

Castonzo isn't a LT he is a RT he needs to be moved for this line to be great I think.

10 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We need a RG. Haeg and Clark can battle it out for the RT spot. We just need a TJ Lang type beast and our OL is set.

I would agree though that AC, (while a solid LT most of the time) is a true RT. We need a Smith, Thomas, etc type monster at LT, but again Castanzo is still a really good player, maybe borderline top 10-12ish LT in the league. He was top 5 a couple years ago. He was a lot better this year than last. He needs to be consistent and be a rock all year, buy as long as the rest of our line is good we're fine with AC.

Do you think Joe Haeg played better at RT? I think he looked much better at RG. Plays with leverage in the run game, also gets to the second level really well he's a great athlete for a guard. His pass blocking set is beautiful, re anchors so well, but the initial bull rush is what gets him. If he bulks up he reminds me alot of honestly TJ Lang. Great pass protector that uses technique to win in the run game. LeRaven has a ton of potential, maybe enough to be our LT someday, but he's still a question mark until he proves it.

21 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Do you think Joe Haeg played better at RT? I think he looked much better at RG. Plays with leverage in the run game, also gets to the second level really well he's a great athlete for a guard. His pass blocking set is beautiful, re anchors so well, but the initial bull rush is what gets him. If he bulks up he reminds me alot of honestly TJ Lang. Great pass protector that uses technique to win in the run game. LeRaven has a ton of potential, maybe enough to be our LT someday, but he's still a question mark until he proves it.

Agreed. For the most part anyways. I've said many times I think Haeg is a better RG, but if we sign TJ Lang or Zeitler he's going to be forced to battle it out with Clark, who I also think has a ton of talent. I don't know. I was impressed with Haeg a times this season. I think he could possiblt end up being a stud G, but I don't think we should take the chance and gamble on him coming out and balling out at RG, or, as I have said for years we will regret it. Its best to play it safe. But with all that said......Maybe Pazstor is the best choice if we sign an OL. He is a monster RT, who would probably be even better at RG. So then if Haeg is balling out, he can play RG , Pazstor at RT, but if not. Pazstor at RG, Clark/Haeg/ or even Reitz or Good. (smh), maybe a mid round rookie at RT I don't know. The OL will be interesting this offseason. Does CB have faith Haeg can be that stud Guard? What about Clark? Maybe he wants to bring in a sure fire fix? We'll have to see. Its one thing I could see us signing  big name or nobody. Personally I'd bring in Lang, then if Haeg looks good, cut Lang after the season and let Haeg take over in 18

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Agreed. For the most part anyways. I've said many times I think Haeg is a better RG, but if we sign TJ Lang or Zeitler he's going to be forced to battle it out with Clark, who I also think has a ton of talent. I don't know. I was impressed with Haeg a times this season. I think he could possiblt end up being a stud G, but I don't think we should take the chance and gamble on him coming out and balling out at RG, or, as I have said for years we will regret it. Its best to play it safe. But with all that said......Maybe Pazstor is the best choice if we sign an OL. He is a monster RT, who would probably be even better at RG. So then if Haeg is balling out, he can play RG , Pazstor at RT, but if not. Pazstor at RG, Clark/Haeg/ or even Reitz or Good. (smh), maybe a mid round rookie at RT I don't know. The OL will be interesting this offseason. Does CB have faith Haeg can be that stud Guard? What about Clark? Maybe he wants to bring in a sure fire fix? We'll have to see. Its one thing I could see us signing  big name or nobody. Personally I'd bring in Lang, then if Haeg looks good, cut Lang after the season and let Haeg take over in 18

I feel it man, the unit has been so terrible adding bodies seems like the only answer. I really do see these guys as the future, specifically Joe Haeg. Bouncing him up and down the o-line gave him good experience last year and let us see him in different spots, but doing that this year during training camp is ganna hold back is development at whatever position he settles at. To me and you and I'm guessing Joe Philbin he's proven he can play RG so let's work on him being a guard. LeRaven is a different story, and even tho I liked what I saw out of him, it was too limited of experience to bank on him being that guy. I like adding Pazstor for a much cheaper contract then TJ Lang because like you said he can play RT. 

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The Jaguars just decided not to pick up the option on 27 yr. old starting LT Kelvin Beachum by 4PM today.  If they picked it up he would have been under their control for 4yrs.  The option was for 35.5M with 13M guaranteed.  He now becomes a FA.  Not sure if he can sign with a new team right away or if he has to wait for FA to start.   With so many people talking about moving AC to RT and finding a new LT maybe this is worth investigating?  Thoughts.

:scorebad:       lmao    

I would definitely sign him for a better contract.  He is a pretty solid player that would be a benefit to our patchwork of a line.  Brandon Albert is also available now so as the days pass teams are cutting those cap causalities.  Beachum Mewhort Kelly Zeitler AC.  That's a dream line right there lol.  Not to possible but you never know. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't over pay to get Beachum, but I also dont think other teams will either. A terrible injury in 2015 held him back all of last year so his bad play was due to playing through pain. If we focus on D in FA and bring in Kelvin on a short term, easy to dump contract it could be win win. If he hypothetical was back to 100%, he could play LT Costanzo plays RT and our o-line is on point. If he shows he can't stay healthy we have LeRaven to fall back on. Get Beachum, and bring in about 3 starting defenders through FA and/or trades