Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Aquib Talib to the colts?

From a performance stand-point,  I think Talib is a very good player.

But from an off-the-field stand-point,   I think Talib is not a very good fit.      I don't see him being good in the clubhouse.      I don't see him being good in the community.       Put another way,    I don't see Talib as a "Horse Shoe Guy".....

I think Ballard would be gambling by investing in Talib.....

But, we'll see....

I think given his age it is a bit of risk based on his price tag. We just saw Revis fall off the face of the planet and he is the same age. I would rather invest less money in a younger player as there are few people that will command as much as Talib will on the open market. Add in the fact that he isnt good for the locker room and it makes way more sense to go another route to fix our secondary. 

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But from an off-the-field stand-point,   I think Talib is not a very good fit.      I don't see him being good in the clubhouse.      I don't see him being good in the community.       Put another way,    I don't see Talib as a "Horse Shoe Guy".....

But, we'll see....

I'm not saying sign him or not. He will be expensive and 31, and that's definitely not young for a CB.

But for him and all other potential players that may come here, I prefer talent over saints.

We can try and field a roster of 53 players that are all loved and have halo's around their helmets BUT we will be missing the playoffs again.

10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I'm not saying sign him or not. He will be expensive and 31, and that's definitely not young for a CB.

But for him and all other potential players that may come here, I prefer talent over saints.

We can try and field a roster of 53 players that are all loved and have halo's around their helmets BUT we will be missing the playoffs again.

We made the playoffs the first three years of trying not to sign low character guys.

And the Colts mostly had high character guys during the Polian years and almost always made the playoffs.

And the Colts not making the playoffs the last two years had nothing to do with not having enough bad character players.....    it had to do with not having enough talent.

Don't equate bad character with better players.    It's a false choice.

6 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Hate him all you want, but you can't deny he's a top 5 CB. There's a chance he will get released because the Broncos can likely only afford to keep one of their CBs. They have too many other needs that need to be addressed and too many players they need to resign. If that happens do you think he could land on the colts?

Or maybe our owner and GM believe we are rebuilding our D/Team over the next 2 seasons and it makes much more sense to move Vontae this off season.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But, we'll see....

I think he's nearing the end of his being able to perform at a high level and I'm not sure I want to take the chance on a guy who just turned 31.  I'd be more concerned we're inviting another Andre Johnson scenario in here.  If we invited him here at all, I'd hope it was as a one year stop gap until whatever corner we draft (if we draft one) gets a year experience under his belt.  But at hte price I think Talib will be asking, I'm not sure that will be worth it.

He may be an * who shot himself in the leg, but I like his tenacity, and to be quite frank, our defense could use some of that.  His other off the field issues, while nothing to scoff at are really on the lower end of the red alert (unless I'm forgetting something serious).

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Or maybe our owner and GM believe we are rebuilding our D/Team over the next 2 seasons and it makes much more sense to move Vontae this off season.

Id be in support of moving Davis for something like an early 3rd. That being said if we did we would need to find 2 starters in this loaded CB class, and possibly look into AJ Bouye in free agency. 

14 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'd rather go younger.  

Colts made a mistake going after so many older players in FA and it cost us.  Let's not repeat that mistake.  

FA's are by nature going to be older, but yes agreed unless it's the right guy (like Gore, harder to find). Trying to fill WR spots with Andre Johnson, DHB, and Hakeem Nicks over guys like Emmanuel Sanders (15 mill over 3 years at the time) and Brandon Marshall (plus a 7th rounder for a 5th rounder) were ill advised.

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

FA's are by nature going to be older, but yes agreed unless it's the right guy (like Gore, harder to find). Trying to fill WR spots with Andre Johnson, DHB, and Hakeem Nicks over guys like Emmanuel Sanders (15 mill over 3 years at the time) and Brandon Marshall (plus a 7th rounder for a 5th rounder) were ill advised.

Well you can get a lot of FA's who just finished up their rookie deals and are in their mid 20's.  

To be fair most people thought Andre Johnson still had some good years left in him.  His last year with the Texans he nearly posted 1000 yards with terrible quarterbacking and sharing the catches with Hopkins.  So Johnson was a guy who essentially just fell off quickly due to age.  

DHB was never that good cause he couldn't catch and Nicks had his career derailed by injuries.  

Honestly I would love it if we could find and get a quicker then fast receiver like the Patriots have.  

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'd rather go younger.  

Colts made a mistake going after so many older players in FA and it cost us.  Let's not repeat that mistake.  

This.

You really don't get to bring in older FAs unless you already have a solid young core. That's what the Broncos did. They had Miller, Harris Jr, DT, Decker, Jackson, Williams, and others before they brought in guys like Manning, Talib, and Ware. Granted you can't do it all in one draft/FA, but the Colts need to get younger before they start looking to bring in older vets. Doing the opposite is why we're in the situation we're in now.

YES. If he's available he's my main target if I'm CB. He's exactly what we need. first up he's an elite corner, 2md he would give this team something we really need. A hardcore, mean player with swag. A guy who only cares about winning when he's on the field. A trash talker who'll get things stirred up. We need to get away from being know as soft. We need some Talib's, Burfict's, etc. I want our entire D to be hated around the league. I want our guys to roll in with swag and take your head off then taunt you after words. I'm telling you. We need bad boys. As we all know......Bad boys get the hot girl. The good guys are left standing :lol:. But yes. Talib is exactly what we need.

We need to get younger, but if Talib got cut we could still sign Perry/Ingram and Brandon Williams/Hankins, plus the draft. If we added Nick Perry and Tim Williams our pass rush would instantly be fixed. Williams would give us that run stuffing NT commanding Double teams and keeping the LB's clean to make plays, while Talib paired with Vontae would not only give us a top 10 CB duo. It would give us that mean, in your face type player we need. Plus we need to add a couple in the draft. LOL I wanna be the new age Raiders. But with a stout pass rush and 2 shut down corners, and a boss NT our D is going to be VERY good. And btw. I'm a big UK fan and as you know we've had some bad boys over the years like Demarcus Cousins, and I love how every other tem hates us and says Cal and BBN are dirty, and etc. Love being the villain.

10 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

Top tier sure.

Incorrect. We need tough players not dirty players. Different things.

OK. What if its a playoff game and Talib does something dirty and gets away with it leading to us winning the game. What you don't understand is guys like Talib, Jenkins, Pacman, Burfict, and list goes on. Those guys get in some, or most players head over the course of games. Talib got Steve Smith tore all to heck a few years ago when he was in NE. Look what Jenkins did to Steve Smith a few years ago. We need tough, rough, in your face, trash talking bully types bro. It makes the team better. Guys who get recognized around the league for being that great bad boy you know. I want guys like T-Sizzle taunting opposing crowds. Guys like Jenkins or Talib talking trash to WR's the whole game, etc. Guys like Sherman who'll come out in an interview and call a player mediocre. LB's like Burfict playing angry, and trying to take somebodies head off, etc,etc,etc.

14 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

There's a difference between a tough, intimidating player and a dirty player.

Talib is the latter.

I don't think that guys get it. People think the cure to the Colts being soft is to get a bunch of dirty trash talkers. That doesn't make you tough. Ask the legion of boom if Hilton is soft. Ask Devonta Freeman if Geathers is soft. Ask any football team if Andrew Luck is soft. We need more guys like that. Not a bunch of scummy players with ego.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't think that guys get it. People think the cure to the Colts being soft is to get a bunch of dirty trash talkers. That doesn't make you tough. Ask the legion of boom if Hilton is soft. Ask Devonta Freeman if Geathers is soft. Ask any football team if Andrew Luck is soft. We need more guys like that. Not a bunch of scummy players with ego.

Wholeheartedly agree. 

I'd put the over/under at 7 for really stupid personal fouls by Talib during the season.  And I'd put the over/under at 1.5 for games that are lost because of his stupid personal fouls.  Also, doesn't he get called for a lot of PI?

IMO, let some other team deal with his nonsense.