Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reuben Foster has rotator cuff surgery

I hope, he's at the top of my Colts wish list this year!  Looking through Google, it appears that 4-6 months is generally needed to fully recover from this type of surgery...so about the time TC is starting, hopefully sooner.  This could definitely work in our favor, assuming you are willing to take the chance...which right now (pre-Combine, pro days, etc.) I am.

There are a few medical issues now with Hooker, Ramcyzk, Allen, Foster, and I am sure we will find more that will cause players to fall. If Foster falls, he has been the player I wanted all along. He would immediately be the alpha dog in the middle we need. My only fear is he is so athletic and has no fear. He hits hard and can cover, and kept getting knicked up last year. Concussion syndrome is starting to be something many players are having trouble coming back from. Regardless, he would be my pick unless Hooker somehow fell due to his shoulder (labrum I believe) surgery causes him to drop.

Players will drop so far we will not believe are eyes. It always happens. Jack last year to the 2nd. The Baylor NT everyone hear wanted in the 1st round dropped to the late 4th due to knee problems which were not reported prior, which was a surprise. Point is, plenty of good talent will drop, you just have to decide if you can gamble and how much. We cannot gamble, but I do not see Foster as a gamble. Kelly was who I wanted the whole time through last year never waivered. Foster this year fits every box we need for an ILB. If he drops, run up to the mic. and pick him!

Could be to our advantage... Rueben Foster is a beast and everyone knows it, but him not being able to attend the combine might have GM's scratching their head. NFL teams want stability and do not like taking "those chances". But if he slips to us he would fill a well needed hole. I mean look at Miles Jack or the more impressive Vontaze Burfict who both overcame injurys in their early playing careers. He could be a franchise player for Colts Nation.

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Matt Miller said Jonathon Allen has had at least 2 shoulder surgeries through career and heard rumors of 3 but can't officially report the 3rd. Said he could fall. Hopefully, 2 Bama players fall.

They both sound like they`d fit right in with the Colts. Always on the injury report.

27 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It'd be pretty great if Ballard took Tim Williams in the first, and Foster slipped all the way down to the Colts in the 2nd, and he took him too. I'd probably cry if that happened.

Would be nice to get him in the 2nd but also nearly impossible lol 

35 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It'd be pretty great if Ballard took Tim Williams in the first, and Foster slipped all the way down to the Colts in the 2nd, and he took him too. I'd probably cry if that happened.

Well brother if that happened I think I would be so happy. Well I don't know what I would do but I would be like the happiest dude on Taylor Road LOL.

But seriously man. This is not Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack type injuries we're talking with Foster, Hooker, etc. So he will not be dropping to the 2nd. No way LOL. Dudes an elite talent (Like his teammate Williams) But Foster may be there at 14 or 15 who knows. I've assumed he'd to go anywhere from 8-16 personally.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

Well brother if that happened I think I would be so happy. Well I don't know what I would do but I would be like the happiest dude on Taylor Road LOL.

But seriously man. This is not Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack type injuries we're talking with Foster, Hooker, etc. So he will not be dropping to the 2nd. No way LOL. Dudes an elite talent (Like his teammate Williams) But Foster may be there at 14 or 15 who knows. I've assumed he'd to go anywhere from 8-16 personally.

In all honesty it's more likely that neither are on the board when the Colts pick in the first than either of them slipping to the second round. But I've got another 2 1/2 months to fantasize about it, so I'm going to.

2 hours ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

Matt Miller said Jonathon Allen has had at least 2 shoulder surgeries through career and heard rumors of 3 but can't officially report the 3rd. Said he could fall. Hopefully, 2 Bama players fall.

Alabama players always come into the league severely banged up. Kelly might have been the healthiest player from Alabama drafted in the past 6 years.

I don't think it'll drop him. I think teams have come to expect as much from Bama guys.

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

In all honesty it's more likely that neither are on the board when the Colts pick in the first than either of them slipping to the second round. But I've got another 2 1/2 months to fantasize about it, so I'm going to.

I feel ya man. totally. Like. I hope Tim Williams falls to us in the 2nd, and Mixon falls to us in the 4th. And we grab Charlton or Takk in the 1st, then we would come out with 3 1st round talents. LOL. My scenario seems possible too.

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Alabama players always come into the league severely banged up. Kelly might have been the healthiest player from Alabama drafted in the past 6 years.

I don't think it'll drop him. I think teams have come to expect as much from Bama guys.

Amari Cooper was pretty polished and healthy coming in, went 4th overall. But I agree, those guys take a pounding at Bama.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yep. They play in an elite conference. Always play a late bowl game and now two games generally. They play for a very demanding coach and they know if they don't stay on the field there is a 5 star recruit just itching to take their job. Thus they play through injuries and often land in the league needing to clean things up. Remember Chapman playing through like a torn acl or something....they know they have to tough it out or they will get replaced. There are positives and negatives with Alabama prospects....they are usually well coached and pretty close to reaching their potential....but they can be beat up and may not have as high a ceiling as others.

Someone please let me know why everyone is putting Ruben Foster in the HOF already. Is there a game tape where he's running with TEs down field like a Luke Kuchley (who he's being compared to) or tape of him flipping his hips and picking up a WR crossing his zone? We all know he can stop run, in the SEC that's 70% of the game. But what's ganna happen when that flips to 35% and coverage becomes 65% of what he has to do. I'm not sold on him being any good in coverage, let alone a stud at it. I've been saying all along Ruben Foster could be there at 14/15 before any injury, because he's not the perfect prospect everyone makes him out to be. He's an amazing talent, but dont get it twisted, he's along way from being everything ppl are claiming he already is.

17 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Someone please let me know why everyone is putting Ruben Foster in the HOF already. Is there a game tape where he's running with TEs down field like a Luke Kuchley (who he's being compared to) or tape of him flipping his hips and picking up a WR crossing his zone? We all know he can stop run, in the SEC that's 70% of the game. But what's ganna happen when that flips to 35% and coverage becomes 65% of what he has to do. I'm not sold on him being any good in coverage, let alone a stud at it. I've been saying all along Ruben Foster could be there at 14/15 before any injury, because he's not the perfect prospect everyone makes him out to be. He's an amazing talent, but dont get it twisted, he's along way from being everything ppl are claiming he already is.

I don`t think anyone is putting him in the HOF just yet, but I have my doubts he`s a top 10 talent. MLB`s that get drafted very early in round #1 are typically deemed special. I really don`t know if Foster is a special talent like say a Kuchley or P. Willis. 

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don`t think anyone is putting him in the HOF just yet, but I have my doubts he`s a top 10 talent. MLB`s that get drafted very early in round #1 are typically deemed special. I really don`t know if Foster is a special talent like say a Kuchley or P. Willis. 

A bit of an hyperbole claiming everyone has him in the HOF I guess. But the way ppl clamor over him just mind boggles me, I mean hes an exceptional athlete, but that alone doesnt qualify you to be a factor in the pass happy league that is the NFL. 

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Reuben Foster is the real deal.  I do not expect him to be there at 15.  I don't

Is there a game that you'd suggest? I really want to get a feel for his coverage abilities, even tho I've seen all his game film already maybe I missed something. 

4 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

Get D Cook, then trade up to get Foster.

Dalvin Cook has frank gore's strength and size plus a Joseph Addai like quickness. Would be a good pick for us as well. But we need more than one draft to fix our holes..... Look at our O-line, our secondary, just our defense in general! And the texans won the division with a 9-7 record? This years draft will be big for us

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

Is there a game that you'd suggest? I really want to get a feel for his coverage abilities, even tho I've seen all his game film already maybe I missed something. 

If you've watched "all his game film" and you're not convinced of his potential as a 3 down ILB, then no amount of evidence will change your mind.

Keep on pumping that agenda of yours. Anyone that has really watched the guy can tell he's more than just an athlete.

4 minutes ago, BCoop said:

If you've watched "all his game film" and you're not convinced of his potential as a 3 down ILB, then no amount of evidence will change your mind.

Keep on pumping that agenda of yours. Anyone that has really watched the guy can tell he's more than just an athlete.

First off, back up off his nutts for just a second and realize that instincts and athleticism doesn't make you a "3 down ILB". Does it translate yes, but when have you SEEN him cover any routes he'll see in the NFL?!? name a game where hes running down field with a TE or a RB please. " Well, bama never asked him to do that, that's not his assignment at bama!!!" Well boo hoo because that's all he's ganna have to do in the NFL. I dont assume a guy has something, I want to see it!! 

43 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

First off, back up off his nutts for just a second and realize that instincts and athleticism doesn't make you a "3 down ILB". Does it translate yes, but when have you SEEN him cover any routes he'll see in the NFL?!? name a game where hes running down field with a TE or a RB please. " Well, bama never asked him to do that, that's not his assignment at bama!!!" Well boo hoo because that's all he's ganna have to do in the NFL. I dont assume a guy has something, I want to see it!! 

Good grief. I'm not "on his nuts" at all. You have clearly taken the contrarian stance here though and you're wrong. It takes zero effort to find instances of Foster being productive in coverage. I don't know what you consider "routes he'll see in the NFL", but there are plenty of examples of him playing in coverage at the college level.

Let's start with the simple stuff in case you missed it in "all his game film".

YouTube highlights 

0:55 - Sniffs out a potential screen, QB decides to scramble and he leaves the RB and comes up for the tackle.

1:45 - WR in the flats has no chance at the dump off with Foster right on his inside hip

2:02 - Closes on the check route. If not for a stupid lateral, would have stopped the play dead. You can count on one hand the number of ILB in the NFL that close this fast.

2:20 - Sniffs out screen play for 4 yard loss

2:38 - Breaks up a pass. Nearly intercepted. I won't even hold this against you as we can't even see the play. Let's just say it was thrown right to him.

2:46 - Sniffs out another screen play for a 4 yard loss.

2:54 - On the RB for a dump off for a 1 yard gain.

6-7 instances in one 4 minute highlight video.

Bama vs USC 2016 - Let's continue with the 1st game posted by DraftBreakdown.com

0:00 - Crosses the entire field to chase down a bubble route.

0:34 - On the receivers hip and limits the catch to 5 yards on 3rd and 12

1:17 - Jams the receiver at the line on a slant and forces the QB to take off

1:27 - Follows a receiver into coverage (which we can't see). QB looks in his direction. Ends up throwing it away with no options.

3:30 - Another bubble route. Comes up on the RB and gives up a 1 yard gain.

3:55 - Receiver has a 3 yard in. Foster deflects the pass for a pick-6.

4:55 - TE has a crossing route. Foster bats it down.

There are 5 other games on DraftBreakdown just from this year that I'm sure detail more of the same. I don't feel like sitting here for an hour detailing every play where Foster makes a play in pass coverage. I don't know what kind of passing routes you expect him to defend at the NFL level, but what you see in this video is what he'll be responsible for on 90% of pass plays. There's no a LB in the NFL (not even Keuchly) that is expect to defend deep post/flag/streak routes. If those guys drop on those routes, they have help over the top 100% of the time.

Go back to the tape and watch again. The guy's is a stud and you don't need to be on his nuts to see it. There's a reason he's the unanimous #1 ILB. It's not because he went to Alabama and it's not because he's big and fast. It's because he's a hell of a football player.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yep. They play in an elite conference. Always play a late bowl game and now two games generally. They play for a very demanding coach and they know if they don't stay on the field there is a 5 star recruit just itching to take their job. Thus they play through injuries and often land in the league needing to clean things up. Remember Chapman playing through like a torn acl or something....they know they have to tough it out or they will get replaced. There are positives and negatives with Alabama prospects....they are usually well coached and pretty close to reaching their potential....but they can be beat up and may not have as high a ceiling as others.

Yup. I suspect they'll be investigated in the future. Not that they're doing anything illegal but it's almost absurd how beaten up these kids are coming in. I'd also wonder about their practices as well. People have gotta be concerned about the longevity of these players.

Seen a bit of film of Foster. Should be a solid pro But didn't see what some of you did.

He moves better than Ragland and when he hits he hits hard.

Voch Lombardi film session was a bit critical of him. Said he's tentative and should make more plays at or behind line of scrimmage than he does. He wasn't excited or overly impressed by him.

Didn't see much of him in coverage vs Mississippi and Tenn. Long session like 39 minutes.

I think there's a good chance he will be there at 14/15.

16 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Seen a bit of film of Foster. Should be a solid pro But didn't see what some of you did.

He moves better than Ragland and when he hits he hits hard.

Voch Lombardi film session was a bit critical of him. Said he's tentative and should make more plays at or behind line of scrimmage than he does. He wasn't excited or overly impressed by him.

Didn't see much of him in coverage vs Mississippi and Tenn. Long session like 39 minutes.

I think there's a good chance he will be there at 14/15.

I'd take him if that's the case. He's the type of LB Ballard is looking for. Although I really like Reddick.

22 hours ago, BCoop said:

Go back to the tape and watch again. The guy's is a stud and you don't need to be on his nuts to see it. There's a reason he's the unanimous #1 ILB. It's not because he went to Alabama and it's not because he's big and fast. It's because he's a hell of a football player.

Yeah, he's a different guy than Ragland, for sure. I'd like to see more of him in space, but we know that's not what Alabama faces in the SEC. I'm disappointed that he won't workout during draft season, I'd like to know his numbers. I think he fits the mold -- rangy, athletic, good in space, good change of direction, hits with authority.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah, he's a different guy than Ragland, for sure. I'd like to see more of him in space, but we know that's not what Alabama faces in the SEC. I'm disappointed that he won't workout during draft season, I'd like to know his numbers. I think he fits the mold -- rangy, athletic, good in space, good change of direction, hits with authority.

Ironically... the player Ragland was being substituted by on 3d downs last year was... Reuben Foster. And that's before he dropped weight and reportedly increased his mobility for this year's play.

20 hours ago, Superman said:

That's what he projects too but it would be very nice to get his measurables because in general Alabama Lbs haven't had great speed...sideline to sideline ability....mainly because they generally are kept clean from their DL in front being so dominant they just clean up. This young man I think is different but it would be nice to have the numbers to back it up.

Oh...and is your sig from Grigsons motto or something??? Just wondering where you took it from....guess you may have to get a quote from Ballard now lol.