Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Before the draft there is the issue of who stays/goes and who to bring in, so ill address that first. With the coaches where bringing in it looks like we are going to be switching into a 3-4 so that is how I am approaching this off season.

Garcon- should be a top priority, hes a young and talented receiver

Reggie- Would love to have him back, but for cheap. He is likely gone.

Mathis- Will cost to much, sadly he goes as well.

Brackett- Gone

Addai- Gone

Saturday- only leaves if he retires

Manning- Stays if healthy

Others require restructured contracts but i wont get into that.

FA Targets

Paul Solali NT- Would be immediate starter and NT is a must for a 3-4 but he could be pricy

Laron Landry SS- All Pro caliber safty when healthy, could be acquired for cheap based on his recent injuries. Could be an excellent pickup. (top priority FA)

Now for the Draft: (my first mock with Luck)

1. Andrew Luck -Enough said

2. (trade) -Trade back to 10-20ish range in the 2nd and pick up a 3rd and 4th in the process. With the 2nd pick colts grab:

Casey Hayward (CB).- Underrated CB in this draft, but could be one of the biggest steals. decent size at 5'11 190. Well rounded DB, solid in run support, fundamentally sound, instinctive, excellent ball skills and a playmaker on top of that. Has 11 picks the last 2 years. He is one of my favorite players in this draft and would be an absolute steal with this pick.

(Trade) This is just an idea but looking at the defense I dont see how Angerer fits in a 3-4. He is a 3rd year guy and a real solid and versatile Lb. Hopefully we can trade him for a mid-late 3rd round. (hopefully) Maybe throw Clark in there as well? But now its getting purely hypothetical. If we can work out the trade it would give us 3 3rd round picks

3. Josh Chapman (NT)- Solid in run defense. Gives us the big NT we need for a 3-4 Would be an immediate starter at the position (If colts grab Solali this pick changes to Ryan Miller)

3.(10-20) Orson Charles (TE) - I know he isnt a great blocker but quite frankly i dont care. He is a major mismatch with anyone on defense. Hes to fast for LBs and to big for DBs. Plus we need another weapon in the passing game with Reggie likely gone. Both Peyton and Luck utilize the TE so he will fit right in.

3.(20-32) Bruce Irvin (OLB)- Undersized? yes. Lacks Strength? Yes. Draft him for his pass rushing ability only. With Mathis gone that leaves to much pressure on Hughes to succeed. This is a guy that can come in on passing situations or be rotated in to keep Freeney and Hughes fresh. At the end of the 3rd where now looking for impact players and not only full time starters.

4th. Lonnie Edwards (RG)- We need that guard opposite of Reitz badly. Edwards is best available.

4th. Carmen Messina (MLB)- Underrated LB, but well rounded. Always seems to be around the ball and can make plays in the backfield. Could devlop into a good LB.

5th. Michael Williams (TE) - Hasnt done much in passing game, but id suspect that will change with Manning throwing him the ball. Excellent run blocker and thats why we take him. Everything else is a bonus.

6th. Matt Daniels (SS) Comes from Duke so is overlooked, but another possible steal in the secondary. Fast and physical. Plays similar to Bob Sanders.

7th. BPA

I think this is a realisitc draft based on the projections as of now. The only unrealistic part is the agnerer trade but even still that is much more likely then any of the Freeney/Manning trades that have been mentioned, simply because he is a young player.

I'd like talk about how I think the defenseive lineup will shape out but sadly im out of time. I'll chime in on that later. Discuss.

unique picks

Mixin her up a bit. Everyone keeps naming the same 12 guys. I wanted to get away from those and go with more under the radar guys. Plus this is more realistic, fans seem to think the players that they want the Colts to get, nobody else wants. even though there are 31 other teams taking notes on them. Lots of thses guys have some sort of knock on them, such as not big enough, not fast enough, come from a smaller school etc.. But they all bring something to the table that would help the Colts be successful in my opinion.

Mixin her up a bit. Everyone keeps naming the same 12 guys. I wanted to get away from those and go with more under the radar guys. Plus this is more realistic, fans seem to think the players that they want the Colts to get, nobody else wants. even though there are 31 other teams taking notes on them. Lots of thses guys have some sort of knock on them, such as not big enough, not fast enough, come from a smaller school etc.. But they all bring something to the table that would help the Colts be successful in my opinion.

I respect what you were doing here, I recently did a luck mock myself. In fairness I started the Poe and Leonard Johnson talk, everyone else hoped on it!

Will need a 3-4 de or two!

I think/hope Nevis and Anderson can be those guys. With the recent news i heard about Mathis likely coming back it makes me much happier though. Helps a lot through this rebuilding. I would probably use the 3rd pick now to grab a MLB on defense, or for offense another receiver like Toon or even Brewster for the Oline. Or as you said a DE like Chick if he is available. But id say he goes earlier.

I think/hope Nevis and Anderson can be those guys. With the recent news i heard about Mathis likely coming back it makes me much happier though. Helps a lot through this rebuilding. I would probably use the 3rd pick now to grab a MLB on defense, or for offense another receiver like Toon or even Brewster for the Oline. Or as you said a DE like Chick if he is available. But id say he goes earlier.

i see angerer having an easier time playing in the 3-4 than drake nevis. not too may 6ft 300 lb defensive ends. but, what do i know....

With the coaches where bringing in it looks like we are going to be switching into a 3-4 so that is how I am approaching this off season.

Garcon- should be a top priority, hes a young and talented receiver

Reggie- Would love to have him back, but for cheap. He is likely gone.

Mathis- Will cost to much, sadly he goes as well.

Discuss.

Pagano said that we will play the defensive formation that best fits the players on the team, whether that is a 4-3 or a 3-4 or both...he said he will not try to force a square peg into a round hole.

On the players listed, Grigson said that Mathis, Garcon and Wayen are "priorities to bring back"...and Irsay also said that Garcon and Mathis are "priorities"...so how would your draft change if all 3 are back?

Pagano said that we will play the defensive formation that best fits the players on the team, whether that is a 4-3 or a 3-4 or both...he said he will not try to force a square peg into a round hole.

On the players listed, Grigson said that Mathis, Garcon and Wayen are "priorities to bring back"...and Irsay also said that Garcon and Mathis are "priorities"...so how would your draft change if all 3 are back?

To answer your question... I assumed garcon was a would be brought back so nothing changes there. Mathis being considered a priority is a huge relief. Wayne would be a plus if he doesnt hold the team back with a big contract.

With these guys coming back and after hearing him talk about playing the defense that fits the best looks like they will play a base 4-3. Which benefits the D quite a bit. So the Angerer trade would be out. Clark and Addai arnt worth close to what fans on here value them at. Probably 5th at best for them. So with that in mind:

1st. Luck

2nd. Hayward (same trade)

3rd. Chapman

3rd. Ryan Miller- With Garcon and Wayne coming back that allows the higher picks to be used on the line.

4th. Winston Guy Jr.- Solid in the box type safty.

4th. Chris Rainey- Playmaker. Period. Would become the return guy from day 1.

5th. Marvin Jones(WR)- 6'2, 200 lb. Runs solid crisp routes and has great hands. Had a good showing at senior bowl.

6th. Matt Daniels

7th. Miles Burris(OLB)- Going un talked about this draft because of the school he played at (san diego state) but the potential of this guy is through the roof. And the least we would get from him is a dominate ST player.