Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Christian McCaffrey

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

I understand the thought process behind the Pats picking him up. But why would they use a high draft pick on a pass catching threat out of the backfield when they already have Dion Lewis and James White who were picked up as UDFA and in the 4th round, respectively? 

Honestly I could see them moving him to wideout honestly. He seems to fit the mold of hardnosed running wrs that they employ. I think Amendola didn't work out like they hoped. Hogan is ok but kinda inconsistent. Edelman is at that stage were he probably will start breaking down. You could line him up out wide and he is a good enough route runner to get open....and would be very tough to bring down in space. Also you could motion him in and have him run the ball or run reverses. Very dangerous piece. Heck you could motion him into the backfield and run him and Lewis in two rb set....matchup nightmares for the lbs having them both run out into patterns etc. I was kinda surprised Atlanta didn't try that with Pats bigger LBs. They struggle in coverage. Line up both Coleman and Freeman and see what kinda matchups you could get. They just didn't do anything surprising honestly.

He isn't a 3 down back but lets be honest...there aren't many and the ones that are have a hard time staying healthy (Bell, Peterson, McCoy). The NFL has turned into the NBA...its all about matchups...creating an advantage on the field and then going after it...attacking a weak link. That is what NE does so well. He would fit into many teams in this capacity. I honestly don't see him going in the first. He is more of a luxury pick. I think NE goes defense in the first or OL. However if they get an extra pick if they move Jimmy I could see them target Christian early in the second.

I'd take Mccaffrey in a minute.   Maybe not first round, but if we traded back and picked up another second round pick and he was still sitting there I'd have no problem.      This is a special white boy!  This ain't just any white boy we are talking about here.    And saying he doesn't fit our scheme is just silly to me.

Assuming we go D in the first round and he's there in the second, I'd take him.  Honestly, and someone mentioned this earlier, if he were black, I think he'd be a guaranteed 1st round pick.  I have not seen someone with his ability to cut, change direction and accelerate in a while.  Amazing to watch.

15 hours ago, Superman said:

lhjhbB9.gif?noredirect

If he's there at #33, I'd think about a move up for him. Like someone else said, he doesn't fit the offense we run, but he fits the offense we should run. 

I'm a bit confused by this.  You are against taking a running back in the first, but you'd trade up to take a guy one pick out of the first round?  Genuine question.  I understand there's a difference between #15 overall, and #33, but we gave up what was effectively the #22 for an RB - granted he bombed, but there was at least some reason to think he could've worked at the time.  In your scenario, you'd be talking about giving up a #2 and possibly a 3rd round or at the very least a future pick to move up 14 slots.  

I'm just not understanding the rationale.

22 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

And we just had our most productive running season in last 10 years. We don't have to waste a high pick on a running back find one in the 4th or pick a fa up 

I don't disagree with what you said in this post, I just don't think it's as easy as you're making it out to be when you initially said "RB will come" as if its a given.  It's not a given - but for Frank Gore, we've not drafted or signed a starting caliber RB in years.  The only one that showed any promise, Vick Ballard, couldn't stay healthy.  

19 hours ago, Superman said:

lhjhbB9.gif?noredirect

If he's there at #33, I'd think about a move up for him. Like someone else said, he doesn't fit the offense we run, but he fits the offense we should run. 

Wow,  if I had not seen your name at the top of the post I would have never guessed this would be a move you would be in favor of, let alone be the initial advocate. :scratch:

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I don't disagree with what you said in this post, I just don't think it's as easy as you're making it out to be when you initially said "RB will come" as if its a given.  It's not a given - but for Frank Gore, we've not drafted or signed a starting caliber RB in years.  The only one that showed any promise, Vick Ballard, couldn't stay healthy.  

Ok my logic is that if we improve our oline which we are trying to do we will be able to plug a guy like turbin just saying, and they will have success if the oline is making holes. So that's why I dropped running back on the list of worries for the time being 

5 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'm a bit confused by this.  You are against taking a running back in the first, but you'd trade up to take a guy one pick out of the first round?  Genuine question.  I understand there's a difference between #15 overall, and #33, but we gave up what was effectively the #22 for an RB - granted he bombed, but there was at least some reason to think he could've worked at the time.  In your scenario, you'd be talking about giving up a #2 and possibly a 3rd round or at the very least a future pick to move up 14 slots.  

I'm just not understanding the rationale.

The Giants moved up to #33 in 2015 for Landon Collins. They gave up #40, #108 and #245. That equals about 580 points (the trade value chart will be different this year because of comp picks, but not by much; call it 600). The 15th pick is worth 1,050 points. You can see the difference in value, obviously. For the Colts to move up from #48, I think you could include this year's 4th and a future 3rd. I'm okay with that. The potential to get a long term starter in the middle of the first round is exponentially higher than it is in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I'd prefer being able to wait until the late 30s, if it looks like the board is shaping up that way. Or if you trade back from #15 and get more equity, you can make a move for him in the 2nd.

And in the case of McCaffrey, I see him as a hybrid back/receiver/returner who won't take the kind of punishment your typical back takes. Yet, I think he'll be a game changer. I'm concerned about his medical, but I'm obviously working under the assumption that he's given a clean bill of health, there are no defects in his knees, etc. If that's the case, I see him being a playmaker for the next 7-8 years.

I know it sounds contradictory, but if you look at the difference in value, I think it makes sense. Let me know what I'm missing.

32 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Giants moved up to #33 in 2015 for Landon Collins. They gave up #40, #108 and #245. That equals about 580 points (the trade value chart will be different this year because of comp picks, but not by much; call it 600). The 15th pick is worth 1,050 points. You can see the difference in value, obviously. For the Colts to move up from #48, I think you could include this year's 4th and a future 3rd. I'm okay with that. The potential to get a long term starter in the middle of the first round is exponentially higher than it is in the 3rd and 4th rounds. I'd prefer being able to wait until the late 30s, if it looks like the board is shaping up that way. Or if you trade back from #15 and get more equity, you can make a move for him in the 2nd.

And in the case of McCaffrey, I see him as a hybrid back/receiver/returner who won't take the kind of punishment your typical back takes. Yet, I think he'll be a game changer. I'm concerned about his medical, but I'm obviously working under the assumption that he's given a clean bill of health, there are no defects in his knees, etc. If that's the case, I see him being a playmaker for the next 7-8 years.

I know it sounds contradictory, but if you look at the difference in value, I think it makes sense. Let me know what I'm missing.

No that's fair.  A rule like running backs shouldn't be drafted in the first, says we hsouldn't use a lot of resources on the running back.  So when you suggested trading up for a running back and having to use multiple resources to do so, it gave me pause for concern - particularly someone who preaches maximizing draft value (which I agree with you on).  

I just wonder if its really advisable to trade up using a 4th and future 3rd to move up 12 spots for a guy when there are other guys who can take more of a traditional RB load at #48 and you don't have to give up anything else in the process.  It obviously depends on how you value McCaffery compared to what other RBs that would potentially be available at #48 (and my guess is, a guy like Kamara, if you are high on him like I am, anyway, or Mixon if you can get comfortable with his history) would be there at #48.  For what its worth, NFL.com ranks both those guys, currently in the mid-30 range, over McCaffrey by 5-10 spots.  

I have yet to watch film on McCaffrey, but the other two have 3 down back traits. I've actually been watching RBs today and watched Mixon, Kamara and a couple others, McCaffrey is next since we're discussing him.

Interesting mock today.  Chad Reuter of NFL.com just did a mock and had the Colts picking McCaffrey with the 14th. pick.  He had three QB's going before our pick and Cook dropping to the Bucs at 19 due to injury concerns and previous off field issues.  I really like McCaffrey anyway so I thought this was an interesting mock. And I think it's possible three QB's could actually go before our pick.  We shall see.

46 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting mock today.  Chad Reuter of NFL.com just did a mock and had the Colts picking McCaffrey with the 14th. pick.  He had three QB's going before our pick and Cook dropping to the Bucs at 19 due to injury concerns and previous off field issues.  I really like McCaffrey anyway so I thought this was an interesting mock. And I think it's possible three QB's could actually go before our pick.  We shall see.

Well I have truly seen it all.

As the Stanford guy who has seen every game McCaffrey has played,  I would've been fine drafting McCaffrey in the 2nd round if we already had our lead back of the future.       But we don't.

I'm not sure I see McCaffrey has a traditional 3-down back.     He can play every down,  but he might not do the things a traditional 3-down back can do.      So, instead of carrying the ball 16-20 times a game,  CMac is likely more of a 12-15 carry guy.      But he might also catch 3-5 passes a game and return kicks as well.     He can impact games in a variety of ways.     Not every RB can do that.

But our needs on defense far outweigh our needs on offense,  and since the strength of this draft is defense,  then I want to use our first 3 picks on defense.      Drafting an offensive player is a luxury we can't afford.     If we don't make a commitment to defense now,  I'm not sure when we ever will?     The time is now.   And we don't have to reach.    The players we need are there in this draft.

It's going to hurt watching the top backs go off the board to other teams.    But we need defense.    We have to have defense.      If you think our defense was bad this year,  wait till you see how bad it is next year if we don't commit to it.      The time is NOW.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:58 PM, krunk said:

I'd take Mccaffrey in a minute.   Maybe not first round, but if we traded back and picked up another second round pick and he was still sitting there I'd have no problem.      This is a special white boy!  This ain't just any white boy we are talking about here.    And saying he doesn't fit our scheme is just silly to me.

You know Green bay would grab him up......they hardly have any running backs.

..and I agree,...he fits ALL schemes

If we were to take Fournette or Cook, with the #1, or trade back a bit and take McCaffrey, we could possibly have our RB for the next 5-7 years.  Then we go defense with #2, #3, #4, #4, would that be a bad thing?

We would finally have our RB and still pick up some very good picks to help the D.  Yes, I am a huge CM fan!

38 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You haven't lived long enough to truly see it all.

You only THINK you have.

Believe it or not,  the world was formed the day you were born.

wth are you talking about? Are you so dense you didn't understand the terminology of that? Thought you said you were going to avoid me now? Was really looking forward to that.

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

As the Stanford guy who has seen every game McCaffrey has played,  I would've been fine drafting McCaffrey in the 2nd round if we already had our lead back of the future.       But we don't.

I'm not sure I see McCaffrey has a traditional 3-down back.     He can play every down,  but he might not do the things a traditional 3-down back can do.      So, instead of carrying the ball 16-20 times a game,  CMac is likely more of a 12-15 carry guy.      But he might also catch 3-5 passes a game and return kicks as well.     He can impact games in a variety of ways.     Not every RB can do that.

But our needs on defense far outweigh our needs on offense,  and since the strength of this draft is defense,  then I want to use our first 3 picks on defense.      Drafting an offensive player is a luxury we can't afford.     If we don't make a commitment to defense now,  I'm not sure when we ever will?     The time is now.   And we don't have to reach.    The players we need are there in this draft.

It's going to hurt watching the top backs go off the board to other teams.    But we need defense.    We have to have defense.      If you think our defense was bad this year,  wait till you see how bad it is next year if we don't commit to it.      The time is NOW.

I agree.  I think everyone agrees we need to address the defense.  But you can do it through FA and the draft. I think we will know more after FA.  With any luck we could have two maybe three impact starters on defense from FA.  Then it's the drafts turn.  It all hinges on our board and who goes off before our pick.  I don't think he will reach so anything could happen.   I am ready for a surprise or two. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The time is now.   And we don't have to reach.    The players we need are there in this draft.

That is THE best point right there.  This team needs pass rushers and LB's and they are there by the dozen in this draft, at least OLB's.

17 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

That is THE best point right there.  This team needs pass rushers and LB's and they are there by the dozen in this draft, at least OLB's.

Well...     to be completely honest...

I'm not sure how many pass rushers there are for 3-4 defenses...    I certainly don't see them by the dozens...

I think we have maybe a two round window and then it's hit and miss.      The other EDGE rushers are 4-3 guys.

But there are CB's and ILB's as well.     And it's a good year for safeties too.     DT is about the one weak position  in this defensive draft.

I just don't want to wait for an engraved invitation.      It's now Year 6 for Andrew Luck,  can we please start building him a defense?

On 2/12/2017 at 10:58 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

In all seriousness, when's the last time a White guy was a legit good first string runningback? 

Be careful, that kind of talk will get you suspended by a riveter who has a stick up her butt.

On 2/12/2017 at 10:58 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

In all seriousness, when's the last time a White guy was a legit good first string runningback? 

Be careful, that kind of talk will get you suspended by a riveter who has a stick up her butt.

• 2 weeks later...