Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Christian McCaffrey

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not the best fit for us...

Like some others, I can see NE grabbing him at #32. I like him as a player, but I think he will succeed more on a team more likely to play to his strengths...

If he makes it to our second pick, I'd still bet that there are better options available for Indy, despite the fact that he might technically be BPA. 

10 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With that said I'd still rather use our 2nd on a defensive player like CB or OLB. 

I'm hoping we only take at most one O player in the draft.  I know it's BPA, but it should be BPA that fits our needs.  

We had a top 10 offense with an Oline that's still a work in progress and should get better.  The D is bare.

I like McCaffrey, but also have doubts he can be a lead RB at the next level. I think he would be an awesome change of pace back to platoon with an established starter. However, the Colts need to find that guy soon, because it`s not going to be F. Gore. McCaffrey seems like a luxury pick for teams with fewer needs than the Colts. 

49 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

I watched a little bit of vid on him and honestly he didn't pass the eye test. I know a lot of people are high on him so I'll watch more and see him at the combine.

He is the type of player that the patriots would turn into a superstar

I have seen mocks of him being taken at the top half and bottom half of the first rd. not to mention second as well.  He is also an excellent punt and kickoff returner.  I think his stock will probably rise at the combine and based on his showing he could move ahead of Cook on some boards.  He has the potential to be one of those day 1 surprises come draft day and go early.  In any event I think he would be a great weapon for Luck if he were to become a Colt. 

It would very much depend on what was on the board at the time but he has some incredible play making ability. Imo he is a 3 down player...but more like in the slot on first and second down and in the backfield on 3rd. All I know is If a OC couldn't turn this kid into a star that OC should be fired. Baring injuries he is the most electric offensive talent in the draft. I don't think he can carry the ball 300+ times a year but I do think you should be able to put him on the field 3 downs. He has the ability to run crisp routes and he can tote the rock with more power and speed then he appears. I can't see him making it to us in the second. Man a team like GB or NE he would be a star. Sadly he will probably end up in Cleveland or New York ....somewhere and never realize his true potential.

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

I like McCaffrey, but also have doubts he can be a lead RB at the next level. I think he would be an awesome change of pace back to platoon with an established starter. However, the Colts need to find that guy soon, because it`s not going to be F. Gore. McCaffrey seems like a luxury pick for teams with fewer needs than the Colts. 

I agree, but I don't mind RBBC.

Addai & Rhodes did well for us, and it's protection should one go down with injury.

I think he will be a good player in the nfl but i have doubts that we would be the ones to get the production out of him. We would have to change our whole coaching scheme around for him to work, and the current regime has proved that they would rather play the round hole, square peg game rather than adapt. 

Plus if we are looking at rb with a high pick it better be a 3 down guy, and im not convinced he is. 

For a team that has the scheme and the depth to take him as a luxury pick, they will be handsomely rewarded most likely. Unfortunately we have neither. 

19 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

In all seriousness, when's the last time a White guy was a legit good first string runningback? 

Long, long time.

Not a single starting white RB currently, and hasn't been since I think Peyton Hillis, who some consider a fullback. 

6 hours ago, Boomstick1 said:

Curious to know what everyone here thinks of him and if he's a fit for Indy.

If he slides to our round 2 pick would you take him?

Also working on a scouting report for him

He's a legacy guy in Denver.......dad was a big star...

....Broncos might take him late 1st

1 hour ago, Boomstick1 said:

I feel like he'll be a great KR/PR, receiver, and eventually turn into a 3 down stud for us.

If anything I hope New England doesn't get him or the NFL is screwed

He has been a dominant open field runner at both levels so far...

..and his premier value would be as a kick runner

But, again, his dad is a near legend in Denver...3-tiem 1,000 yard WR...does the teams radio broadcasts.

I think Denver picks 20th....and they dont have a 3rd down RB or a kick returner.

If we want him...we'd have to take him with our top pick

36 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

He has been a dominant open field runner at both levels so far...

..and his premier value would be as a kick runner

But, again, his dad is a near legend in Denver...3-tiem 1,000 yard WR...does the teams radio broadcasts.

I think Denver picks 20th....and they dont have a 3rd down RB or a kick returner.

If we want him...we'd have to take him with our top pick

Elway doesn't strike me as the sentimental type. Also they have a fairly high pick in the first too. He isn't worth first rd pick. However mid 2nd it gets interesting depending what's on the board. He is said to be bigger than he looks. Be interesting to see his measurables. Watched a lot of his games in college and he had no problem finishing runs. NFL is a different beast though. Whatever the case he would be a very very dangerous weapon and a matchup nightmare for LBs.

1 hour ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

In all seriousness, when's the last time a White guy was a legit good first string runningback? 

Historical data overwhelmingly supports your rhetorical inquiry.  As a white guy I support this notion, that goes double for CBs.

7 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Probably not the best fit for us...

Like some others, I can see NE grabbing him at #32. I like him as a player, but I think he will succeed more on a team more likely to play to his strengths...

If he makes it to our second pick, I'd still bet that there are better options available for Indy, despite the fact that he might technically be BPA. 

Yeah plus BPA is different to every team. 

As the Stanford fan around here it feels like I should chime in.

I have Christian ranked 21st on my Big Board.      I would prefer NOT to draft him in the first round.

McCaffrey can do everything on a football field EXCEPT move the pile and pass protect.    He's not the back you want on 3rd and short or down at the goal line against a tough defense.    When he's back to pass block,  CM is willing,  but at 6'0" and 200,  there's just not much to try and stop a blitzing linebacker.

Otherwise,  there's nothing he can't do and do pretty well.      Like others in the thread, I'm curious as to how big he'll measure at? 

I think he gets drafted somewhere between 20 and 50.      If he's somehow still there when we draft at 47 or so,  then I'd be OK if we took him,  but he's not my preference.     I want all defense in the first three rounds.

But CM is a special talent,  and with the right team he'll be a match-up problem for opposing defenses.

He can be a star with the right team. The colts are not that team. He's not going to be a first down back. He's better suited as a change of pace back and a guy you can throw to out of the backfield and someone who can return punts. Very Darren Sproles like. As others say, luxury pick for a team like the colts who wouldn't use him right anyway.

2 hours ago, jseg18 said:

I don't understand why people have Pats picking him up, especially in the 1st round. I can see Oakland snagging him in the 2nd.

Because a team like the pats have traditionally used guys with that same skill set as McCaffery and turned them into big weapons. They understand that he can be a big asset in the right kind of offense. Plus, they don't have a lot of holes to fill and can use the 32nd pick on a guy that isn't going to be on the field every down.