Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Speculation] Jack Doyle to test free agency (Merged)

TigerColt

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember many comments last year about Jack Doyle being a great locker room guy as well.  After listening to CB's presser it would seem he is a player he is going to want to keep if those comments were true.  We know they are trying to resign him and he is a known commodity they like very much.  It makes too much sense to keep him.  Hopefully no one is drawing a line in the sand and they come together to make it happen. 

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts appear to be trying.  I'd say it would be a bigger mistake if the Colts overpay him.  While he is a good player he's not a guy you break the bank for.

Doyle is the one receiver that looks to be the only receiver that could remotely fill half of Reggie Wayne's shoes in terms of a go to guy for Luck.  The Colts O has been void of this type of receiver since Reggie went down with the knee.  

Moncrief, Dorsett, Allen, Fleener, AJ, Hicks, have all been JAGS to this point...in terms of reliability in getting open.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Doyle is the one receiver that looks to be the only receiver that could remotely fill half of Reggie Wayne's shoes in terms of a go to guy for Luck.  The Colts O has been void of this type of receiver since Reggie went down with the knee.  

Moncrief, Dorsett, Allen, Fleener, AJ, Hicks, have all been JAGS to this point...in terms of reliability in getting open.

He's no where close to Reggie Wayne.

Hes a good player yes but not a break the bank kind of player.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

He's no where close to Reggie Wayne.

Hes a good player yes but not a break the bank kind of player.

If you read my comment carefully, I said..... fill HALF the shoes of RW.  And I agree, I wouldn't break the bank.

But my point was that he is the second best (most reliably open) receiving option on this team since the RW knee.  TY being the best. 

That's more of a statement about the rest of the receiving corps that's been here over the past 3 years than it is a statement about Doyle.  

So what is his price for this team?

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

If you read my comment carefully, I said..... fill HALF the shoes of RW.  And I agree, I wouldn't break the bank.

But my point was that he is the second best (most reliably open) receiving option on this team since the RW knee.  TY being the best. 

That's more of a statement about the rest of the receiving corps that's been here over the past 3 years than it is a statement about Doyle.  

So what is his price for this team?

I would agree that he's worth bringing back for the right price.  What that price is seems to be between five million and six million a year based on speculation about it.  What the Colts feel it is I don't know. 

I would also agree that Doyle being the second best receiving option says more about the rest of the receiving core.  It shows there is a problem there. Moncrief was hurt a good chunk of last season and has been good in the past so I would hope for a bounce back year this year.  As Dorrsett this is a make or break year or him IMO.  The Colts really don't have much beyond them though outside of TY. 

I've never been big on Allen and didn't like re-signing him last season over Fleener.  He had a good rookie year and hasn't been the same since. 

I will say I am okay with bringing Doyle back I am leering of giving guys who have career years in their contract year.  They tend to revert back to their old self after they get their big pay day.  In fairness to Doyle that's hard to judge because he was the number three tightend before last year though.