Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Second attempt at an offseason with more realistic free agent salaries


Recommended Posts

Cap space with rollover: $61M

 

Cuts:

Arthur Jones - Designate as a June 1st cut to gain $6.25M.

The only other possibilities for cuts in my opinion are Reitz, Gore, Langford, and Patrick Robinson, but I'm willing to roll the dice on all those guys for next year.

 

Cap space: $67M

 

Re-sign:

Jack Doyle - 4Y/24M....Spotrac's market value seems reasonable for him.

Darius Butler - 1Y/3M....move him to Free Safety full time. I think that position suits him better than Nickel Corner. 

Robert Turbin - 1Y/775K

Jordan Todman - 1Y/775K

Erik Swoope - 1Y/1.6M....original round tender

Quan Bray - 1Y/615K....ERFA tender

 

Some of the other dregs of the roster can be given minimum contracts so we can get some bodies in camp; Kerr, McNary, Thornton, Harrison, etc.

 

Cap space: $57M

 

Free Agent Signings:

Trumaine Johnson  CB - 4Y/50M.....I was laughably off on my original estimate of his worth. I'm still willing to pay $12.5 million of Jim's money to get this guy on our team. He can absolutely be a lockdown corner. We'll have a lot of money tied up to our corners this year, but that's alright. Maybe we can extend Vontae and spread some of his cash out over the next couple years.

Chris Baker NT/DT - 4Y/28M.....Not a name I've seen thrown around on here, but I believe he's every bit as good a run defender as Poe and Williams, but he actually gets sacks too and has some scheme versatility. I believe he's just the big guy in the middle we need, and won't be quite as costly as the other guys.

Nick Perry OLB - 5Y/44M....I am conflicted here. I feel Perry will be cheaper than Ingram and I'm not sure who's better anyway. I also thought about bringing back Mario Addison for about half the price, but he seems to be used strictly as a pass rusher. Could really go any route, but we need an edge rusher in free agency. It is the most important position to fill and we can't just rely on the draft here. I am not for bringing back Walden. I like Cole more than most here, but he'd really be a utility player and would cost too much for that role.

Gerald Hodges ILB - 3Y/12M.....Has started to break out a little bit now that he's been in the league a few years. Just in time to sign him for cheap as he heads into his prime. 

Austin Pasztor OG - 2Y/6M.....Gotta get some decent guys out there to have a good competition to see who gets to fill out the right side of the line. I am not willing to pay top dollar for a guard. Haeg, Clark, Pasztor, and Reitz should be solid. Plus they can all play other positions along the line.

 

Cap space: $25M

 

Draft:

First of all, I would really like to move back into the first and pick up an extra second rounder. I don't normally like to account for a trade in a hypothetical mock offseason, but that's what I'm doing here. We trade our 1st rounder for Oakland's first and second rounder.

 

1. Tim Williams OLB - I really love this dude's athleticism. From reading his scouting reports I was very much against drafting him, but after watching his film I am fully on board the Tim Williams train. The dude gets pressure at an obscene rate. His run defense isn't tremendous, but it's not as bad as people say and it will get better. The character concern is slightly bothersome, but I'm willing to look past it if he interviews well.

2. Jourdan Lewis CB - Gave up a 37.9 QB rating and a 29.5% completion rate. This guy checks all the boxes you'd want in a slot corner and I really hope we can get him. 

2. Duke Riley ILB - Good coverage backer

3. Kareem Hunt RB - A favorite of mine, and seemingly a favorite of the forum. I don't think he lasts to the fourth.

4. Ryan Glasgow DL - I believe he is the Henry Anderson of this draft, and not just because he's a white Dlineman. He gets pressure and run stops, and I see him going in the middle rounds. I urge people to watch his tape.

4. Vince Biegel OLB - Another guy that gets a lot of pressure; 20% of the time according to PFF. We should be getting a 4th round comp for Fleener.

5. Eddie Vanderdoes NT - Not much of a pass rusher but he looks like a solid run stopping presence in the middle.

6. Nate Gerry S - I don't know why this guy is rated so low on all the different draft boards I've looked at, but he'd be killer in the 6th. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When watching Taco Charlton his teammate Glasgow kept catching my eye. Need to go back and focus on him. 

 

I like Duke Riley. He's smallish but makes plays. 

 

Actually all of your picks have been discounted for some reason or another but they all just make plays. I like that

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I love your draft. It's realistic and I love Williams/Lewis/Riley/Hunt.

And I'm not going to say Lewis can't play on the outside yet.

 

 

Yeah I'm sure he could play outside too. Basically if we're playing man coverage, I'm putting him on the Antonio Brown types. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

 

 

Yeah I'm sure he could play outside too. Basically if we're playing man coverage, I'm putting him on the Antonio Brown types. 

It would be nice when playing against guys like AB to have Lewis on him man to man with Butler over the top. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be all that enthused about an offseason like this. The draft is somewhat lackluster since I'm not high on Tim Williams, and a lot of your other players in the draft are reaches outside of Jourdan Lewis from rankings according to CBS sports.

 

Free agency is also somewhat lackluster other than Nick Perry. And I wouldn't want to pay Trumaine Johnson that much considering the money Davis is making.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I wouldn't be all that enthused about an offseason like this. The draft is somewhat lackluster since I'm not high on Tim Williams, and a lot of your other players in the draft are reaches outside of Jourdan Lewis from rankings according to CBS sports.

 

Free agency is also somewhat lackluster other than Nick Perry. And I wouldn't want to pay Trumaine Johnson that much considering the money Davis is making.

One thing to factor in is you're only necessarily paying vontae for one more year...if he is sub par next year and you don't want to pay him then let him go and Trumaine takes over as the lead dog...just a thought

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are spot what these guys will get on the open market. I am not big on your choices. 

 

I don't see any reason to go after a CB in FA. The front 7 is where I would focus. This is a strong draft class take 2 CB's.  I really like Langley day 3. He could hande return duties too. 

 

Perry has never played a full season and he's never got to the QB like this year in his career. His first 4 years he totaled 12.5 sacks. I'd take that money and throw it at Ingram. The Chargers are moving to a 4-3 lets over pay for a safer more consistent player. 

 

Word is the Skins are letting Baker walk because he wants big money. He had no interest in playing NT in Washington. I would prefer Willliams who the Ravens probably can't pay. 

 

I like the Hodges signing and if we get a G Pasztor is a name I was looking at too. 

 

I don't see us making that kind of splash in FA but Williams Hodges and Ingram would get this D headed in the right direction quickly. 

 

The draft I like trading back for more picks but unless the NFL is going to legalize marijuana. They should but that's a different topic. Williams is to risky in a class like this for me. Riley seems a round maybe even a day early.  I really like Hunt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the draft but Jack Doyle is way too overpriced. I'd give him 3 years $12 mil. after letting him hit free agency and I bet he takes it. Grigson's mistake with D. Allen is an outlier. I'm curious what a well rounded TE like Martellus Bennett gets in the FA market, almost can bet it's less than what D.Allen got.

 

Personally, Turbin is more valuable than Doyle to me because I feel Doyle's ceiling is limited and Turbin will be our between the tackles RB once Gore leaves, no later than the 2017 season, IMO. Thus Butler and Turbin are more important than Doyle to me, even if we draft another free safety and RB in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Baker or Abry Jones would probably be my #1 (realistic) interior defensive lineman target in FA. Good players but shouldn't break the bank.

 

I'm assuming that Short gets the tag and if Campbell doesn't re-sign with the Cards, I think he'd go to a team that is closer to winning than we are.

 

Not completely against Hankins/Williams/Logan but they'll probably get too much money for pure run defenders. They are not Snacks caliber players either.

 

Poe, I think he's a good player but not sure he'll be worth the money. Would prefer to go big on either corner or pass rusher.

 

I like Alan Branch and Vance Walker too but they don't offer much in the pass rush department. Branch has been inconsistent in the past and Walker missed the whole year with an injury.

 

I like Trumaine Johnson too, despite some inconsistencies and injury concerns. I think i'd offer that deal for him, with about half of it guaranteed and small signing bonus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chad72 said:

I like the draft but Jack Doyle is way too overpriced. I'd give him 3 years $12 mil. after letting him hit free agency and I bet he takes it. Grigson's mistake with D. Allen is an outlier. I'm curious what a well rounded TE like Martellus Bennett gets in the FA market, almost can bet it's less than what D.Allen got.

 

Personally, Turbin is more valuable than Doyle to me because I feel Doyle's ceiling is limited and Turbin will be our between the tackles RB once Gore leaves, no later than the 2017 season, IMO. Thus Butler and Turbin are more important than Doyle to me, even if we draft another free safety and RB in the draft.

 

 

You are crazy if you think that Turbin is more of a priority (or atleast should be) for us in the offseason. A TE that can pass block, run block, and be a receiver is very very important. D. Allen has been injured, yes, but we need to make sure we have atleast a sure TE next year whether it be Allen, Doyle, or both. Doyle did an amazing job last year in all phases: he was a phenomenal blocker, and he was a high percentage, clutch receiver. No offense to Turbin but Doyle is more of a priority. We will pay Doyle whatever it takes to keep him, as long as it is within 4-5 million year for 3-4 years. We will resign him no worries. Turbin, however, wants a long term deal with a chance to start at RB. We are not going to be giving him that deal because A. we have Gore B. we will probably draft a RB as a successor. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be "stoked" for this offseason. Don't get me wrong, I like the direction you are aiming for, however, the free agent acquisitions and draft is lackluster. I wouldn't pay Trumaine Johnson that kind of money after he regressed from last year and in addition this draft is loaded at corner. I would target someone like Cordrea Tankersley or Tre'Davious White in the second round. I wouldn't want to gamble a top 15 pick on someone with question marks especially with this loaded defense class however I wouldn't mind trading back and acquiring T. Williams if the right deal was made. I would much rather have (assuming they are available) Foster, Cunningham, Hooker, Lattimore, Barnett, or Cook over T. Williams. Additionally, acquiring a true NT would do wonders and I love what I see from Brandon Williams. I also would target another Raven to solidify the O-line in Ricky Wagner. Lastly, I hold Ingrim a tier or two above Perry so if the cost is somewhat reasonable I would persue Ingrim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2017 at 4:37 PM, The Peytonator said:

Cap space with rollover: $61M

 

Cuts:

Arthur Jones - Designate as a June 1st cut to gain $6.25M.

The only other possibilities for cuts in my opinion are Reitz, Gore, Langford, and Patrick Robinson, but I'm willing to roll the dice on all those guys for next year.

 

Cap space: $67M

 

Re-sign:

Jack Doyle - 4Y/24M....Spotrac's market value seems reasonable for him.

Darius Butler - 1Y/3M....move him to Free Safety full time. I think that position suits him better than Nickel Corner. 

Robert Turbin - 1Y/775K

Jordan Todman - 1Y/775K

Erik Swoope - 1Y/1.6M....original round tender

Quan Bray - 1Y/615K....ERFA tender

 

Some of the other dregs of the roster can be given minimum contracts so we can get some bodies in camp; Kerr, McNary, Thornton, Harrison, etc.

 

Cap space: $57M

 

Free Agent Signings:

Trumaine Johnson  CB - 4Y/50M.....I was laughably off on my original estimate of his worth. I'm still willing to pay $12.5 million of Jim's money to get this guy on our team. He can absolutely be a lockdown corner. We'll have a lot of money tied up to our corners this year, but that's alright. Maybe we can extend Vontae and spread some of his cash out over the next couple years.

Chris Baker NT/DT - 4Y/28M.....Not a name I've seen thrown around on here, but I believe he's every bit as good a run defender as Poe and Williams, but he actually gets sacks too and has some scheme versatility. I believe he's just the big guy in the middle we need, and won't be quite as costly as the other guys.

Nick Perry OLB - 5Y/44M....I am conflicted here. I feel Perry will be cheaper than Ingram and I'm not sure who's better anyway. I also thought about bringing back Mario Addison for about half the price, but he seems to be used strictly as a pass rusher. Could really go any route, but we need an edge rusher in free agency. It is the most important position to fill and we can't just rely on the draft here. I am not for bringing back Walden. I like Cole more than most here, but he'd really be a utility player and would cost too much for that role.

Gerald Hodges ILB - 3Y/12M.....Has started to break out a little bit now that he's been in the league a few years. Just in time to sign him for cheap as he heads into his prime. 

Austin Pasztor OG - 2Y/6M.....Gotta get some decent guys out there to have a good competition to see who gets to fill out the right side of the line. I am not willing to pay top dollar for a guard. Haeg, Clark, Pasztor, and Reitz should be solid. Plus they can all play other positions along the line.

 

Cap space: $25M

 

Draft:

First of all, I would really like to move back into the first and pick up an extra second rounder. I don't normally like to account for a trade in a hypothetical mock offseason, but that's what I'm doing here. We trade our 1st rounder for Oakland's first and second rounder.

 

1. Tim Williams OLB - I really love this dude's athleticism. From reading his scouting reports I was very much against drafting him, but after watching his film I am fully on board the Tim Williams train. The dude gets pressure at an obscene rate. His run defense isn't tremendous, but it's not as bad as people say and it will get better. The character concern is slightly bothersome, but I'm willing to look past it if he interviews well.

2. Jourdan Lewis CB - Gave up a 37.9 QB rating and a 29.5% completion rate. This guy checks all the boxes you'd want in a slot corner and I really hope we can get him. 

2. Duke Riley ILB - Good coverage backer

3. Kareem Hunt RB - A favorite of mine, and seemingly a favorite of the forum. I don't think he lasts to the fourth.

4. Ryan Glasgow DL - I believe he is the Henry Anderson of this draft, and not just because he's a white Dlineman. He gets pressure and run stops, and I see him going in the middle rounds. I urge people to watch his tape.

4. Vince Biegel OLB - Another guy that gets a lot of pressure; 20% of the time according to PFF. We should be getting a 4th round comp for Fleener.

5. Eddie Vanderdoes NT - Not much of a pass rusher but he looks like a solid run stopping presence in the middle.

6. Nate Gerry S - I don't know why this guy is rated so low on all the different draft boards I've looked at, but he'd be killer in the 6th. 

Really good, all your cuts are on point. Your re signs are very good too, Jack is now saying he might walk but so be it and turbin might be worth a Lil more. I really like signing Trumaine Johnson and nick perry, but I'd take Chris baker and Gerald Hodges money and throw that at Zach Brown. Not 11 mil/yr exactly but close to it and that gives us another elite talent. Also Chris Baker doesn't play Nose, dont know if I'd want to spend 7mil/year. For the draft, I was all about trading back for an extra 2 until more and more edges kept emerging as top tier talents in this class. I'd much rather stay at 14/15 and get a sure fire talent like Taco Charlton or Solomon Thomas. Tim Williams is ganna fall due to drug tests, if he makes it into round 1, good for him, but I wouldn't rule out Tim Williams potentially being there round 2. Randy Gregory did him no favors, and now Tim Williams draft stock will go down becuz nobody wants a potential Randy Gregory. Jordan Lewis is a stud if he were to be there make that pick all day. Duke Riley I think your way off on tho. Not only is he under sized he is not good at all in the passing game. Honestly his game reminds me of Edwin Jackson, which is the exact opposite of what the ideal NFL ILB plays like. In the 2nd round? Man that's a bad pick. But you follow it up with a great one in Kareem Hunt. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...