Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer's Final Pre-Combine Mock

Salary Cap Casualty: D’Qwell

Outside FAs: Dontari Poe, NT, Chiefs; Sean Spence, ILB, Titans; Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Bengals; Knile Davis, RB, Chiefs; Britton Colquitt, P, Browns

Inside FAs Re-signed: Walden, Doyle, Harrison, Butler, Ayers (conflicting info as to whether he’s already under contract), Swoope (RFA), Adams, Bray

Inside FAs Allowed to Walk: Thornton, Kerr, Turbin, Cole, Todman

Beaten Out in TC: Jones, Reitz, Ferguson

Draft:

1) Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri.  I’m projecting a rise that eliminates the possibility of trading down and still getting him.  He’s got a great first step, good closing speed, excellent athleticism, and a killer instinct.  Needs to develop more moves (he’s now just got speed and a good spin move).  But, he’s a great kid and a hard worker – a coach’s dream.  Hard to believe I'm one of the only ones on this forum on his jock right now.

2) Taylor Moton, OL, Western Michigan.  I’m a fan of last year’s draft picks, and I feel the line just needs a little more time to develop.  However, I expect the new GM to want to shore it up more and build it into more of an elite line.  Moton could be an All Pro RG within a couple of years IMO, and it would push Haeg back into an all-important 6th  OL/4-position back-up role.

3) Tyus Bowser, LB, Houston.  Bowser was my favorite sleeper LB (5th or 6th round) earlier in the draft season after I watched him play in two games.  What caught my eye was how good he looked in coverage and his incredible burst around the edge.  I thought he could play any one of our LB spots, and his best fit could be at ILB.  Then, the man looked great at SB practices and Zurlein says he won’t make it out of the 3rd.  Ballard’s comments about LBs who can cover and rush the passer makes me think he’d like this guy a lot.  His versatility makes him a great fit for a team that needs all-round improvement all over the LB corps.  I’d start him out as an ILB and eventually he could replace Walden at SAM.

4) Tenzel Smart, DL, Tulane.  Ballard will want to make his mark on the DL, and he has already talked about getting after the passer.  This speaks well for T.Y. McGill’s stock, and Smart is another attempt to improve the rush from this level of the D.  If Langford and Anderson have their explosion back after their injuries, there could be a lot of platooning/rotation on this line.

4C) John Johnson, S, Boston College.  We interviewed him.  I don’t know what kind of safety Ballard favors, but Johnson is a versatile guy.  He even took CB reps at the SB.  Bringing back two old guys at safety (Butler and Adams), we need a legitimate young successor.

5) Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana LaFayette.  In a great RB year, McGuire offers great value as a receiver and all-round runner.  High character too.  A good sleeper feature back. Knowing I could probably get McGuire here is what kept me from drafting a RB earlier.

6) Keionta Davis, OLB, Tennessee Chattanooga.  The system fit is the question (at 270 lbs), but I’m taking a chance in the 6th round with a potential 3rd string rush LB.  He should be a good designated pass-rusher to develop.

Top UCFAs: Chris Carson, RB, Oklahoma St.; Nate Theaker, OL, Wayne St.; B.J. Singleton, DL, Houston; Kevin Davis, ILB, Colorado St.; Mitch Leidner, QB, Minnesota;

Final 53

WR  Moncrief, Dorsett

TE    Allen, Swoope

LT    Costanzo, Haeg

LG   Mewhort, Theaker

C     Kelly

RG   Moton, Harrison

RT   Clark, Good

TE    Doyle

Slot  Rogers, Bray

WR   Hilton

RB    Gore, McGuire, Davis, Carson

QB   Luck, Tolzien

23 Offense

DT     McGill, Anderson

NT     Poe, Parry, Ridgeway

DE     Langford, Smart

SAM  Walden, Maggitt

ILB     E. Jackson, Bowser

ILB     Spence, Morrison, Rhodes

Rush  Harris, Ayers, Davis

CB      Kirkpatrick, Robinson, Williams

SS      Butler, Green, Johnson

FS      Geathers, Adams

CB     Davis, Melvin

27 Defense

K    Vinitieri

P    Colquitt

LS   Overton

3 ST

6 hours ago, Archer said:

Salary Cap Casualty: D’Qwell

Outside FAs: Dontari Poe, NT, Chiefs; Sean Spence, ILB, Titans; Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Bengals; Knile Davis, RB, Chiefs; Britton Colquitt, P, Browns

Inside FAs Re-signed: Walden, Doyle, Harrison, Butler, Ayers (conflicting info as to whether he’s already under contract), Swoope (RFA), Adams, Bray

Inside FAs Allowed to Walk: Thornton, Kerr, Turbin, Cole, Todman

Beaten Out in TC: Jones, Reitz, Ferguson

Draft:

1) Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri.  I’m projecting a rise that eliminates the possibility of trading down and still getting him.  He’s got a great first step, good closing speed, excellent athleticism, and a killer instinct.  Needs to develop more moves (he’s now just got speed and a good spin move).  But, he’s a great kid and a hard worker – a coach’s dream.  Hard to believe I'm one of the only ones on this forum on his jock right now.

2) Taylor Moton, OL, Western Michigan.  I’m a fan of last year’s draft picks, and I feel the line just needs a little more time to develop.  However, I expect the new GM to want to shore it up more and build it into more of an elite line.  Moton could be an All Pro RG within a couple of years IMO, and it would push Haeg back into an all-important 6th  OL/4-position back-up role.

3) Tyus Bowser, LB, Houston.  Bowser was my favorite sleeper LB (5th or 6th round) earlier in the draft season after I watched him play in two games.  What caught my eye was how good he looked in coverage and his incredible burst around the edge.  I thought he could play any one of our LB spots, and his best fit could be at ILB.  Then, the man looked great at SB practices and Zurlein says he won’t make it out of the 3rd.  Ballard’s comments about LBs who can cover and rush the passer makes me think he’d like this guy a lot.  His versatility makes him a great fit for a team that needs all-round improvement all over the LB corps.  I’d start him out as an ILB and eventually he could replace Walden at SAM.

4) Tenzel Smart, DL, Tulane.  Ballard will want to make his mark on the DL, and he has already talked about getting after the passer.  This speaks well for T.Y. McGill’s stock, and Smart is another attempt to improve the rush from this level of the D.  If Langford and Anderson have their explosion back after their injuries, there could be a lot of platooning/rotation on this line.

4C) John Johnson, S, Boston College.  We interviewed him.  I don’t know what kind of safety Ballard favors, but Johnson is a versatile guy.  He even took CB reps at the SB.  Bringing back two old guys at safety (Butler and Adams), we need a legitimate young successor.

5) Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana LaFayette.  In a great RB year, McGuire offers great value as a receiver and all-round runner.  High character too.  A good sleeper feature back. Knowing I could probably get McGuire here is what kept me from drafting a RB earlier.

6) Keionta Davis, OLB, Tennessee Chattanooga.  The system fit is the question (at 270 lbs), but I’m taking a chance in the 6th round with a potential 3rd string rush LB.  He should be a good designated pass-rusher to develop.

Top UCFAs: Chris Carson, RB, Oklahoma St.; Nate Theaker, OL, Wayne St.; B.J. Singleton, DL, Houston; Kevin Davis, ILB, Colorado St.; Mitch Leidner, QB, Minnesota;

Final 53

WR  Moncrief, Dorsett

TE    Allen, Swoope

LT    Costanzo, Haeg

LG   Mewhort, Theaker

C     Kelly

RG   Moton, Harrison

RT   Clark, Good

TE    Doyle

Slot  Rogers, Bray

WR   Hilton

RB    Gore, McGuire, Davis, Carson