Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Be more like Andrew Luck


Recommended Posts

Seriously, is there a better dude in the NFL right now?

 

Andrew Luck is the type of guy that can get absolutely rocked on an out-of-bounds late hit, and still get up congratulating his opponent on a great play, while every other player in this game would be screaming at the refs for a flag.

 

Maybe it's because I'm up and drinking, but I don't think there's been a more genuine person to play this game. Andrew Luck is the type of person who would befriend the weird, Dungeons & Dragons kid in high school, rather than going along with everybody else in making them feel like crap. Being born from an ex-NFL Quarterback, this is a guy that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He could have looked down on everyone he's ever met and turned into Johnny Manziel, but instead he turned into the amazingly humble human being that he is today. I freaking love the guy.

 

As much as I loved Peyton, I can't honestly say that I ever saw him being as real as Andrew Luck. He was great, and his media personality is top notch, but that's all it has ever seemed to me; a media personality. Andrew Luck actually seems real. How many number one picks have run a book club? And not just a LeBron James "I love to read" photo op kind of book club. This is a dude that truly has a hobby, and actually wants to get others to enjoy a constructive hobby beyond the superficial kind that a lot of us tend to take up. While every other elite QB to play the game graduated college with a degree in communications or general studies, Andrew Luck got a degree in architectural design. That itself tells me a lot about the guy. 

 

Anyway, there's not much of a point to this thread other than to say how much I appreciate our current signal caller. I've been getting bummed out by the divisiveness of our nation of late. There's too much hate going on. My own group of friends couldn't even have a Super Bowl party without getting in to a massive political debate during the third quarter. It's starting to really mess with my state of mind. Andrew Luck is the type of person to transcend all political, social, and cultural differences. He is a genuine human being, and the type of person that I would like to strive to be. I freaking love the guy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how much you can know about a guy from press interviews and conferences.  

 

I think he has a nerdy side to him which is kind of cool.  And he certainly hasn't been getting in trouble with the law and doesn't seem to cause problems in the locker room.  

 

But I'm a little more reserved.  You can't totally know a guy that well from interviews.

 

And to be honest he's not a person I can relate with closely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shepman said:

I agree with everything OP except weird D&D comment.  Nothing weird about that it actually takes a lot of creativity and I see Luck as the Dungeon Master.

 

haha I didn't mean that as a slight against D&D players, just that a lot of people, when they're in high school especially, would treat them like they're inferior just to make themselves feel better. Andrew Luck, being the great dude he is, would have been above such petty, cliquey crap. I also believe he would be the Dungeon Master. He's got a great neck beard for it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Agreed, and I deleted my Facebook because it's only ever about politics on there. I needed a break. 

 

I'm with you man. I haven't deleted it yet, although I'd really like to, but even if I did that I still wouldn't be able to escape it. Sports are supposed to be one of the few places you can get away from it, but now even ESPN has to shove politics down our throat for the few people that still watch them.

 

I gotta give some credit to Lady Gaga, someone I've never much liked, for not using her half time show to do some political grandstanding and take a dump on half of America.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

 

I'm with you man. I haven't deleted it yet, although I'd really like to, but even if I did that I still wouldn't be able to escape it. Sports are supposed to be one of the few places you can get away from it, but now even ESPN has to shove politics down our throat for the few people that still watch them.

 

I gotta give some credit to Lady Gaga, someone I've never much liked, for not using her half time show to do some political grandstanding and take a dump on half of America.

Yeah I thought Lady Gaga did really well, I never watch the halftime stuff much but did a little this year. I thought she was great and just kept it professional. I have never had Facebook or Twitter. I do think Twitter is a good way to follow sports though so I read certain tweets from ESPN writers at times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I'm not sure how much you can know about a guy from press interviews and conferences.  

 

I think he has a nerdy side to him which is kind of cool.  And he certainly hasn't been getting in trouble with the law and doesn't seem to cause problems in the locker room.  

 

But I'm a little more reserved.  You can't totally know a guy that well from interviews.

 

And to be honest he's not a person I can relate with closely.

 

 

All fair, but I'm not so much referring to his canned responses to canned interview questions. His personality and character shines on the field. He absolutely treats everyone with respect, something that can't be said for most players out there. This dude just plain loves the game. 

 

yyhd4fxe6qay.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Peytonator said:

 

 

All fair, but I'm not so much referring to his canned responses to canned interview questions. His personality and character shines on the field. He absolutely treats everyone with respect, something that can't be said for most players out there. This dude just plain loves the game. 

 

yyhd4fxe6qay.gif

I think he should wear the black glove from now on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw him in person in London a few years back, when he did 'an audience' show for about 200 NFL UK members. He was funny, charming, intelligent, sincere, humble....the lot. The man is as genuine a superstar as you will ever get. No need to be wary of him. He's also a winner, and with that he will surely have a very competetive edge to him, which he probably keeps for behind closed doors. 

 

And he's quite a good QB as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

 

I'm with you man. I haven't deleted it yet, although I'd really like to, but even if I did that I still wouldn't be able to escape it. Sports are supposed to be one of the few places you can get away from it, but now even ESPN has to shove politics down our throat for the few people that still watch them.

 

I gotta give some credit to Lady Gaga, someone I've never much liked, for not using her half time show to do some political grandstanding and take a dump on half of America.

 

The whole country has gone ape % for their point of view. I even got into it with my brother over it when we are just having a normal conversation. Hey, if I were you I'd give Facebook a deactivation and see how it feels. I only ever used it while I was bored anyways. If you don't like it, all you have to do is sign back in and it's all back. Wasn't all the political talk supposed to stop after the election? I guess not anymore. Good luck to you in finding positivity! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think he should wear the black glove from now on.

 

I wish he would do it in weather games. I feel like his passes seem to lose something in those games and a lot of QB's switched to using gloves and found success (including Peyton who didn't do it for years).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Luck is universally liked around the league, and for good reason.  The only thing I'd disagree with you on is about Peyton being just a media personality.  I think Peyton's a pretty genuine guy himself.  He does a lot for the community, he laughs at himself, he's pretty funny.  We as Colts fans have been pretty fortunate to have two great guys leading our franchise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there is a better dude in the NFL right now.  He plays the game at a high level, hes a role model off the field, he doesn't complain to officials or anyone for that matter and he's constantly striving to get better.  He's exactly what you want in a franchise player.  I am glad he's on our team!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Agreed, and I deleted my Facebook because it's only ever about politics on there. I needed a break. 

Ha, I don't do the Facebook either. Upon learning that, a friend once commented, "Without facebook, you wouldn't know all of the predujices & biases of your friends & family???"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Luck is universally liked around the league, and for good reason.  The only thing I'd disagree with you on is about Peyton being just a media personality.  I think Peyton's a pretty genuine guy himself.  He does a lot for the community, he laughs at himself, he's pretty funny.  We as Colts fans have been pretty fortunate to have two great guys leading our franchise.

 

Yeah I'm probably being a little harsh on him, and there's not a bigger P Money fan on this board than myself other than maybe Gramz, but he always seemed like the kind of guy that would be difficult to play with. There were probably a number of players that really didn't like him. If a receiver broke his route off a half yard too early Peyton would chew him out, kill the guy's self esteem, and not throw his way again. Andrew would probably take the blame on himself. Some people want to see Andrew get in guy's faces. Some people say he's not a strong leader, but I disagree with that assessment. Not all leaders have to scream someone's ear off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

How many number one picks have run a book club?

Anyone who uses his celebrity to share his enthusiasm for reading is first rate in my book.

 

The world would be a better place if more people spent more time reading and discussing things with each other.  There is precious little of that going on these days and we need more of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

I recommend reading this article if you haven't yet. Great look into Andrews life outside of football.

 

 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterprise-Luck160907/indianapolis-colts-qb-andrew-luck-determined-prove-worth

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for sharing! I'd never read this before and it's just amazing. 

 

We are very Lucky as fans to have such a great guy like Andrew. Can't wait for him to tear it up on the field this season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Seriously, is there a better dude in the NFL right now?

 

Andrew Luck is the type of guy that can get absolutely rocked on an out-of-bounds late hit, and still get up congratulating his opponent on a great play, while every other player in this game would be screaming at the refs for a flag.

 

Maybe it's because I'm up and drinking, but I don't think there's been a more genuine person to play this game. Andrew Luck is the type of person who would befriend the weird, Dungeons & Dragons kid in high school, rather than going along with everybody else in making them feel like crap. Being born from an ex-NFL Quarterback, this is a guy that was born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He could have looked down on everyone he's ever met and turned into Johnny Manziel, but instead he turned into the amazingly humble human being that he is today. I freaking love the guy.

 

As much as I loved Peyton, I can't honestly say that I ever saw him being as real as Andrew Luck. He was great, and his media personality is top notch, but that's all it has ever seemed to me; a media personality. Andrew Luck actually seems real. How many number one picks have run a book club? And not just a LeBron James "I love to read" photo op kind of book club. This is a dude that truly has a hobby, and actually wants to get others to enjoy a constructive hobby beyond the superficial kind that a lot of us tend to take up. While every other elite QB to play the game graduated college with a degree in communications or general studies, Andrew Luck got a degree in architectural design. That itself tells me a lot about the guy. 

 

Anyway, there's not much of a point to this thread other than to say how much I appreciate our current signal caller. I've been getting bummed out by the divisiveness of our nation of late. There's too much hate going on. My own group of friends couldn't even have a Super Bowl party without getting in to a massive political debate during the third quarter. It's starting to really mess with my state of mind. Andrew Luck is the type of person to transcend all political, social, and cultural differences. He is a genuine human being, and the type of person that I would like to strive to be. I freaking love the guy. 

A very well thought out post. This is why I come here. FAMILY!

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Anyone who uses his celebrity to share his enthusiasm for reading is first rate in my book.

 

The world would be a better place if more people spent more time reading and discussing things with each other.  There is precious little of that going on these days and we need more of it.

Totally agree Nadine. Far too many folk wasting time on internet forums and the like...........er, ok, I'll just move on, shall I.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

Ha, I don't do the Facebook either. Upon learning that, a friend once commented, "Without facebook, you wouldn't know all of the predujices & biases of your friends & family???"

 

 

Lol it's the trick "it will bring us all together"... heck, a lot of people on here disagree yet can still respect a person. Unfortuenatly the off season is bad for our forum. So slow! But it's still better than Facebook!

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, \m/COLTS\m/ said:

I recommend reading this article if you haven't yet. Great look into Andrews life outside of football.

 

 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterprise-Luck160907/indianapolis-colts-qb-andrew-luck-determined-prove-worth

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From the article...

 

"Though he doesn't have a personal Twitter account, teammates surmise that the book club's account (@ALBookClub) is so amateurish that Luck has to be running it himself. It's true, he tells me; it's actually him, and you can look there for breadcrumbs of his personality."

 

The guy is as real as you can get. I hope he wins 10 Super Bowls with us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

The whole country has gone ape % for their point of view. I even got into it with my brother over it when we are just having a normal conversation. Hey, if I were you I'd give Facebook a deactivation and see how it feels. I only ever used it while I was bored anyways. If you don't like it, all you have to do is sign back in and it's all back. Wasn't all the political talk supposed to stop after the election? I guess not anymore. Good luck to you in finding positivity! 

The problem is just simply not being able to decipher without, more time than normal person has to give, what's news and what isn't.  Even for people who want to do a little fact checking, you're up against a much bigger audience that takes any article at its word and drowns out any sense of reason you might be trying to extend.  I'm considering deactivation and just creating a fake facebook profile to use for the 1 smartphone app I actually need it for.  Facebook has become this hopeless dinner table of condescending word salad and if you sit at the table, you're sure to eat or be eaten by your neighbor.  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have gotten to the point there are few site on the net that I even go to and if there is a hint of the divisive rhetoric that I see and hear today, I just go somewhere else, or turn off the TV. Luck is someone who is inclusive which is rare. He stays away from all the media, and truly seems just to love the good things life has brought him, and embraces them, even if some think they are "nerdy". When ESPN talks about him and Hasselback talks about the topics he brings up during meetings and on the bus, some of the commentators role their eyes. I think to myself, I wish I had someone like that to talk to. Genuine, informed, cares about his history which I really like. I wish more people could just let the politics of division go, and be more true to themselves. Andrew seems to live that motto everyday, and on the field which I can say I could not do. Getting up after someone knocks the crap out of you and saying great job. A true original, and we are lucky to have him on the team and as an example!

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Totally agree Nadine. Far too many folk wasting time on internet forums and the like...........er, ok, I'll just move on, shall I.....

At least we focus on discussion here.  It's an elusive goal but we try

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I have gotten to the point there are few site on the net that I even go to and if there is a hint of the divisive rhetoric that I see and hear today, I just go somewhere else, or turn off the TV. Luck is someone who is inclusive which is rare. He stays away from all the media, and truly seems just to love the good things life has brought him, and embraces them, even if some think they are "nerdy". When ESPN talks about him and Hasselback talks about the topics he brings up during meetings and on the bus, some of the commentators role their eyes. I think to myself, I wish I had someone like that to talk to. Genuine, informed, cares about his history which I really like. I wish more people could just let the politics of division go, and be more true to themselves. Andrew seems to live that motto everyday, and on the field which I can say I could not do. Getting up after someone knocks the crap out of you and saying great job. A true original, and we are lucky to have him on the team and as an example!

I think all of us need to remember that we SHOULD be talking with people and not yelling at them

 

Talking to each other is the only thing that will help us unite.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

The problem is just simply not being able to decipher without, more time than normal person has to give, what's news and what isn't.  Even for people who want to do a little fact checking, you're up against a much bigger audience that takes any article at its word and drowns out any sense of reason you might be trying to extend.  I'm considering deactivation and just creating a fake facebook profile to use for the 1 smartphone app I actually need it for.  Facebook has become this hopeless dinner table of condescending word salad and if you sit at the table, you're sure to eat or be eaten by your neighbor.  

 

 

 

 

You have described it to a T my friend. You are absolutely correct. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's kinda refreshing to see a superstar quarterback who is a genuine nice guy all around.

 

I love guys like Aaron Rodgers, and Cam Newton and what not. They all got that star quality to them. Like you just know these guys are game winners and big time players. From the way they talk, and conduct themselves on and off the field.

 

Yet, Luck is just, a normal dude. A normal dude who, despite not being cocky, or a trash talker, or a yeller, is still one of the leagues brightest and most talented stars. If you met Luck for the first time and talked with him, you probably wouldn't be able to tell that he's a quarterback in the NFL haha. But he is, and everyone he faces has to pay for it. 

 

Peyton was also like that, but Andrew takes the 'normal guy' thing to the next level haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...