Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Other teams cheat too

NannyMcafee

What's interesting about all this, though, is the reaction that the allegations against the Patriots generate, as opposed to the public response when others teams break the rules. The Falcons, for example, were punished for pumping crowd noise into their stadiumBrowns GM Ray Farmer was suspended four games for texting his coaches during games.

These are actions done to create competitive advantages. And yet, no one seems to care. The violations are forgotten. No cheater label is handed out.

So, what's the difference?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/8/9276715/patriots-belichick-brady-cheaters-spygate-deflategate

Edited by Nadine
Do not copy and paste other people's posts

The problem with this is, "Deflategate" amounted to be a big joke and a witch hunt in the NFL, much like Bountygate. Goodell just had to reinstate that suspension, proving he thinks he's Judge Dredd as a commissioner and is everything: judge, jury and executioner. It was so satisfying to watch NE win it all and have that pompous arrogant clown of a commissioner be forced to hand that trophy to Kraft and Brady. 

Your team isn't squeaky clean either...Remember 'Suck for Luck'? Outside of this forum, it's pretty much a universal acknowledgement they intentionally tanked that entire season to draft him before any other team had a chance to. 

19 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

What's interesting about all this, though, is the reaction that the allegations against the Patriots generate, as opposed to the public response when others teams break the rules. The Falcons, for example, were punished for pumping crowd noise into their stadiumBrowns GM Ray Farmer was suspended four games for texting his coaches during games.

These are actions done to create competitive advantages. And yet, no one seems to care. The violations are forgotten. No cheater label is handed out.

So, what's the difference?

You need to add a link to credit whoever wrote this. 

17 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

The problem with this is, "Deflategate" amounted to be a big joke and a witch hunt in the NFL, much like Bountygate. 

Your team isn't squeaky clean either...Remember 'Suck for Luck'? Outside of this forum, it's pretty much a universal acknowledgement they intentionally tanked that entire season to draft him before any other team had a chance to. 

You're a Pats fan now too?

Where do we begin with this post?  Almost every word is wrong...

DeflateGate was not a joke.  Brady was caught cheating.  The owner said they would accept the punishment, but lied (keep that in mind, it'll come up a few more times).  The coach denied knowing anything  (not absolutely, but probably a lie...at the very least, willful ignorance).  The quarterback denied any wrongdoing (a lie).  He refused to hand over his phone when asked for it despite assurance that anything not relevant would not be touched.  He then destroyed his phone and claimed it was normal practice for him (get real).  Then he takes it to court instead of simply taking the punishment for breaking the rules.  The Wells Report was actually fairly comprehensive and I have yet to see any credible science debunk it (side note: I think it's hilarious how people legitimately thought some 9 year old's science fair project disproved it...shows you the sad state of critical thought in our society).  Add to it that the Pats were also involved in SpyGate and it shows you what kind of culture they have.

BountyGate was not a joke because Gregg Williams himself admitted to it.  Regardless of what people like Vilma and Brees want to say and how much they deny it, it just makes them look even stupider after the man himself admitted to it.  Then there was also the incriminating audio recording.  Paying players to injure the opposition is against the rules, simple enough.  I will give credit to Payton and Williams for at least now whining about it like Brady and the Pats, but they broke the rules.  Deny it all you want, but that won't change it.

Suck for Luck was not the Colts tanking.  The Colts were just bad.  The coaching staff was awful.  The gameplans were not adjusted to fit the QBs playing.  Kerry Collins, who was ancient by this time, took half a day to release a throw.  Curtis Painter was Curtis Painter.  The defense was a mess.  The Colts weren't tanking.  They were just poorly built and poorly coached.

26 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

The problem with this is, "Deflategate" amounted to be a big joke and a witch hunt in the NFL, much like Bountygate. Goodell just had to reinstate that suspension, proving he thinks he's Judge Dredd as a commissioner and is everything: judge, jury and executioner. It was so satisfying to watch NE win it all and have that pompous arrogant clown of a commissioner be forced to hand that trophy to Kraft and Brady. 

You cant be serious. You know what the result of the 2011 season was? Termination. Half the organization and team was fired. 

29 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Nonsense,  as usual

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

You're a Pats fan now too?

It's a Saints fan thing. Someone made the Pats logo black and gold a while ago. Saints fans despise Goodell as much as Pats fans do. So thats one union. And Saints fans HATE the Falcons with a very burning passion and have slightly adopted the Patriots as a "AFC friend" for beating them in the SB. So thats a second union.

Yes pretty much every team cheats one way or another. And frankly I don't care. To many variables to care in my opinion.  I don't care that there was .02psi short in a ball that was over thrown by 2". I don't care that crowd noise may or may not have made the team call a timeout, I don't care that the olb has roids in his system vs a RT that may or may not also have those in him....it could lead to an advantage, sure, but there are so many advantages on a sports field it's minuscule because it all comes down to execution by the 11 guys on the field..... That wr is 4" taller and 2sec faster than the db. Advantage. Better take that away....It all comes clean on the field after 100+ plays and reffing.....

2 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Suck for Luck was not the Colts tanking.  The Colts were just bad.  The coaching staff was awful.  The gameplans were not adjusted to fit the QBs playing.  Kerry Collins, who was ancient by this time, took half a day to release a throw.  Curtis Painter was Curtis Painter.  The defense was a mess.  The Colts weren't tanking.  They were just poorly built and poorly coached.

Also let's not forget Kerry Collins was injured early in the season. We signed him to be our longterm season answer at QB, but when he went down, our options were limited. Curtis Painter was seen as the heir apparent to Peyton, so we inserted him in. Instead, he did atrocious and is now out of the league.

It was also pure coincidence Manning happened to have the injury complications when he did. I know it seems fishy to someone from the outside looking in, but we truly were a victim of circumstances.

I agree -- we did not do bad intentionally.

4 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Oh, have you been outside of this forum?  

19 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/8/9276715/patriots-belichick-brady-cheaters-spygate-deflategate

Ya but other teams don't cheat to the sane magnitude as the patriots and they didn't try to do it multiple times either.

11 hours ago, Synthetic said:

people also said the roster sucked except for the QB

then we lose the QB and go 2-14.  people(like you) just want to hate no matter what happens

By the time the 2011 Season rolled around most of our star players were over the hill and we didn't have Peyton. I seriously doubt any player would "tank" anything as players play for other contracts and anyone ever caught got doing so, they would be banned from the league. No player is going to risk their career throwing games to get a high Draft pick. I am surprised you really believe that but you think Deflategate was a joke? The whole suck for Luck thing is just a convenient way for Pats fans to say the Colts are crooked because the have been caught doing all sorts of stuff.

Acknowledged by whom?  The fans?  Do you REALLY think the fans even knew the Colts' intent?  Do you not think if Peyton Manning was healthy in 2011 the Colts wouldn't have won more games?  Do you even remember who their QB's were?  They were a BAD team.  That doesn't mean they were tanking.  But if it makes you feel better, so be it.

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Thats like compAring drunk driving with driving 1mph over the speed limit.

there are different levels of cheating.

the Pats have PHDs and lead the industry.

I completely agree, I just was using this as a way to rant, because so many on here have told me to stop using the cheaters card. Which, I can't. Once a cheater always a cheater. They got "caught" in 2007. Doesn't mean it was your only offense. That's a lot of winning before hand, and after, and look at that you get caught cheating again. The patriots have the lowest fumble percentage in the league. Do you not think a slightly under inflated football doesn't help with that? Every little thing helps, especially "if" it's a combined effort. 

If the Patriots had the Browns history, 99.99% of fans wouldn't even know what 'Spygate' or 'Deflategate' are...they'd have been run or the mill footnotes that would have disappeared from the news cycle after a day, never to be surfaced again.

That's just how it is. I'd rather be arguing with opposing teams fans about this silliness than  be a Browns fan.

Lol I didn't know sucking on purpose was even cheating? So Sixers have constantly cheated for years?

And Boutygate was a heck of a lot more "serious" than deflate game. I just think you're salty that the punishment was so harsh on the head coach when it was the D cord's fault. So actually Roger got it right with the punishment of Brady and not Bill... am I right?

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I completely agree, I just was using this as a way to rant, because so many on here have told me to stop using the cheaters card. Which, I can't. Once a cheater always a cheater. They got "caught" in 2007. Doesn't mean it was your only offense. That's a lot of winning before hand, and after, and look at that you get caught cheating again. The patriots have the lowest fumble percentage in the league. Do you not think a slightly under inflated football doesn't help with that? Every little thing helps, especially "if" it's a combined effort. 

I forget where i saw it, but some "expert" mentioned how NE's fumble count went up noticeably after deflategate.  There was an ex-patriot there too who looked mad at the comment.  I remember the person talking say "look it up."  I wonder if anyon checked?

Also, NE was accused way before 2007. Remember the "filming" accusations went all the way back to at least the SB with st louis. Faulk and tomlinson both think they cheat and those guys never talk poorly of anyone...: except NE.

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I forget where i saw it, but some "expert" mentioned how NE's fumble count went up noticeably after deflategate.  There was an ex-patriot there too who looked mad at the comment.  I remember the person talking say "look it up."  I wonder if anyon checked?

Also, NE was accused way before 2007. Remember the "filming" accusations went all the way back to at least the SB with st louis. Faulk and tomlinson both think they cheat and those guys never talk poorly of anyone...: except NE.

Its something the entire league knows is happening. It's a can of worms everyone is afraid of opening. 

On the deflate topic, the officials used to be in charge of the balls before games. Then the teams themselves took that over, Peyton Manning being one of the guys wanting the teams to be in charge. Why would he want that; to tamper with them is all I can think of.  A Rodgers admits to over inflating them. Vikings got caught heating up balls during a game.  They all do it.  The day of this years SB M Faulk said Patriots should have an * by their name because of it (Faulk hates everything not Rams), and Deion Sanders said so should the Colts on their wins because they steal other teams signals.  I thought where would he get that info then remembered that R Wayne works for NFL network and must have told Deion they did that. 

17 hours ago, Synthetic said:

You know what is ironic, that you are so supportive of the Patriots as Saints fan and here is why.  Many owners were very upset with the slap on the wrist the Patriots received for "Spygate".  Many of them felt it was do to Goodell and Kraft's well documented friendship.  So when "Bountygate" happened, Goodell handed out a very tough punishment to the Saints, in an attempt to redeem himself to the other owners for botching "Spygate".  Basically, while the Saints screwed up, they suffered for the Patriots sins and probably would have been handed a much lighter punishment had "Spygate" never happened or had been handled correctly.  

As far as "Deflategate" was concerned, I felt it was a much lesser offense than "Spygate" or "Bountygate", but once again the owners put a lot of pressure on Goodell in this situation.  Also, let's remember, the owners are Goodell's boss, if he upsets most of them, he's done and he has a pretty good job.  Once again, Goodell's friendship with Kraft came up, a man whose house he went to for a party after the Patriots won the AFC Championship in the same year.  The other owner's had enough and sent a message, you can either pick Kraft or us.   They expected a tough decision, and once again this comes back to "Spygate", the Patriots messed up again, Goodell had a chance to redeem himself with the other owners and he did.  

So if you really want to cry about "Bountygate" and "Deflategate", it all goes back to Goodell mishandling "Spygate", "losing" the tapes and botching the whole situation.  

Also, as far as "Suck for Luck", I've heard the conspiracy theories, but has anyone proved it?  Did any solid evidence come out?  BTW, you know why the NBA has a lottery draft?  To discourage teams from tanking their season.  

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

By the time the 2011 Season rolled around most of our star players were over the hill and we didn't have Peyton. I seriously doubt any player would "tank" anything as players play for other contracts and anyone ever caught got doing so, they would be banned from the league. No player is going to risk their career throwing games to get a high Draft pick. I am surprised you really believe that but you think Deflategate was a joke? The whole suck for Luck thing is just a convenient way for Pats fans to say the Colts are crooked because the have been caught doing all sorts of stuff.

Not to mention the Colts HC was fired after the season. Does anyone really think a HC would tank without the owners blessing or go it alone without the owner's blessing and risk getting fired. Come on now!! HCs are handsomely rewarded financially. Would they risk that?

4 minutes ago, Corndog said:

You know what is ironic, that you are so supportive of the Patriots as Saints fan and here is why.  Many owners were very upset with the slap on the wrist the Patriots received for "Spygate".  Many of them felt it was do to Goodell and Kraft's well documented friendship.  So when "Bountygate" happened, Goodell handed out a very tough punishment to the Saints, in an attempt to redeem himself to the other owners for botching "Spygate".  Basically, while the Saints screwed up, they suffered for the Patriots sins and probably would have been handed a much lighter punishment had "Spygate" never happened or had been handled correctly.  

As far as "Deflategate" was concerned, I felt it was a much lesser offense than "Spygate" or "Bountygate", but once again the owners put a lot of pressure on Goodell in this situation.  Also, let's remember, the owners are Goodell's boss, if he upsets most of them, he's done and he has a pretty good job.  Once again, Goodell's friendship with Kraft came up, a man whose house he went to for a party after the Patriots won the AFC Championship in the same year.  The other owner's had enough and sent a message, you can either pick Kraft or us.   They expected a tough decision, and once again this comes back to "Spygate", the Patriots messed up again, Goodell had a chance to redeem himself with the other owners and he did.  

So if you really want to cry about "Bountygate" and "Deflategate", it all goes back to Goodell mishandling "Spygate", "losing" the tapes and botching the whole situation.  

Also, as far as "Suck for Luck", I've heard the conspiracy theories, but has anyone proved it?  Did any solid evidence come out?  BTW, you know why the NBA has a lottery draft?  To discourage teams from tanking their season.  

that guy is a troll period

literally every post he makes is trolling

21 hours ago, Synthetic said:

First, I'm going to say, because of deflategate items posted here (Once I set the record straight) will lock the thread.

Now, neither Deflategate nor Bountygate themselves were a joke.  How they played out certainly was.

Fact - It was reported the Pats were playing with under inflated balls

Fact - They were indeed found to be playing with under inflated balls; never mind all of the science etc that came long afterward.

Fact- Frick and Frck were conversing in mischievous manner regard said balls, adding skepticism

Fact - Frack stole the balls and disappeared with them into a bathroom for a minute and one half.

This above alone found that evening of the game, is/was enough to launch a full investigation, but Brady was uncooperative, and later was even caught destroying potential evidence in avoidance of the investigation.  The league make a suspension ruling. Then the judicial push back. Thus the joke.  No longer was it about deflated balls, (and only 25k finE if all came clean quickly, which they did not) but who has the power, Brady and the NFLPA, or Goodell and the League?  Thus Brady was suspended 4 games not for deflated balls, but undermining the authority granted the Commissioner. Eventually, the courts sided with the league and commissioner.  This is what has the Brady/Pats fans frothing at the mouth.  Deflated balls was the 'match' that started the fire, not the fire itself.

In Bountygate, parties were found guilty, but Tagliabue felt carrying out all of the punishments (most notably to the players) would be a big black eye for the League, and thus vacated the punishments.  Not beacause of innocence but because of pure preservation of image.  Anybody that received punishments earned it, and many that earned it never received it.  Thus a joke, but a calculated one.

Deflategate thread... end...

8f90488a-aea7-4916-b514-5283152deac6_100