Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The New Staff Is Really Coming Together - New Coaching Hires Merge

Coltswarriors

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perry staying with Giants, get over it, The new D coach can';t be any worse then last few ones we had such as Meeks and Coyer, 3-4 on the way for Colts. If not this season, perhaps next one, once roster is made over to suit such d style. SF has had good d last few years.

they were ranked 16th. i said good not great. when was the last time we were in the middle in defense

Defense has never been our strong suit anyway. The chargers being average on defense last year is a bad thing considering what they usually have aka (part of the reason why they finished 8-8).

Who knows though, Pagano could be the actual issuer and just have Manusky be the relayer.

Perry staying with Giants, get over it, The new D coach can';t be any worse then last few ones we had such as Meeks and Coyer, 3-4 on the way for Colts. If not this season, perhaps next one, once roster is made over to suit such d style. SF has had good d last few years.

Get over it? I am not sure why that is something that should even be considered something to get over? I would have liked that Indy had the opportunity to at least ask permission to speak with him...is that OK with you?

I would have rathered they waited to speak to Perry Fewell after the SuperBowl before making this choice as I can say I have mixed feelings on it.

darn you Butler and your black heart! :)

1. I never understood why people were so high on him he was on the verge of getting fired with two games to go in the season.

2. He's not going to leave being a DC of a team that is in the Super Bowl to come over and take over the same job with a rebuilding a team on defense that was 2-14 a year ago unless he has a conection to the new head coach which to my knowledge he does not.

1. I never understood why people were so high on him he was on the verge of getting fired with two games to go in the season.

2. He's not going to leave being a DC of a team that is in the Super Bowl to come over and take over the same job with a rebuilding a team on defense that was 2-14 a year ago unless he has a conection to the new head coach which to my knowledge he does not.

Lol, yep he sucks. His defenses always suck also, why would Indy want to speak to him? Plus your number 1. kinda contradicts your number 2.?

Lol, yep he sucks. His defenses always suck also, why would Indy want to speak to him? Plus your number 1. kinda contradicts your number 2.?

Not what I said at all...

I never said he sucks. I said I never understood why people were so high on him because he was about to get fired till two weeks to go in the season. Yet some people talk about him like he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi or something. I think he's a decent defensive coordnator, I just don't think he's all that that some people have made him out to be here.

As for my second point, that probably explains why he's not going to leave that job and come to Indy so why should the Colts wait on him if they know they aren't going to get him?

Well I guess it can't really get any worse than having our db's playing 15 yards off the receivers when its 3rd and 8. I'll be optimistic for now.

I dont think I will ever understand the logic behind calling that type of defense every play. It baffles me, and we did it for so long too...glad thats over

Not what I said at all...

I never said he sucks. I said I never understood why people were so high on him because he was about to get fired till two weeks to go in the season. Yet some people talk about him like he's the second coming of Vince Lombardi or something. I think he's a decent defensive coordnator, I just don't think he's all that that some people have made him out to be here.

As for my second point, that probably explains why he's not going to leave that job and come to Indy so why should the Colts wait on him if they know they aren't going to get him?

You did contradict yourself and I never said he was Vince Lombardi either? I simply would have liked the opportunity for him to be interviewed. I don't run the team so it doesn't really matter what I think, lol! Quite frankly the more I think about it, Spags will probably have much input regardless of the DC and I am MORE than fine with that! I am looking forward to an aggressive defense, it's been a long time coming! :)

You did contradict yourself and I never said he was Vince Lombardi either? I simply would have liked the opportunity for him to be interviewed. I don't run the team so it doesn't really matter what I think, lol! Quite frankly the more I think about it, Spags will probably have much input regardless of the DC and I am MORE than fine with that! I am looking forward to an aggressive defense, it's been a long time coming! :)

I said some people, I didn't say you did it. You aren't the only person who has been high on this guy this off-season. What are you talking about with the Spags stuff? We didn't hire him we hired Chuck Pagano. Spags interviewed with us and is believed to have turned the job down as DC before taking the DC job with another team.

I said some people, I didn't say you did it. You aren't the only person who has been high on this guy this off-season. What are you talking about with the Spags stuff? We didn't hire him we hired Chuck Pagano. Spags interviewed with us and is believed to have turned the job down as DC before taking the DC job with another team.

Lol, I meant Pags...........doh! Old Timers Disease I guess? ;)

Well I guess it can't really get any worse than having our db's playing 15 yards off the receivers when its 3rd and 8. I'll be optimistic for now.

Yes it can. The only defense that was worse on 3rd down than the Colts.... The 3-4 defense ran by Greg Manusky. They allowed 49% 3rd down conversion. Not only was that the worst 3rd down percentage allowed in 2011.... it's the worst 3rd down percentage this century (and perhaps longer, I only looked back to 2000).

Yes it can. The only defense that was worse on 3rd down than the Colts.... The 3-4 defense ran by Greg Manusky. They allowed 49% 3rd down conversion. Not only was that the worst 3rd down percentage allowed in 2011.... it's the worst 3rd down percentage this century (and perhaps longer, I only looked back to 2000).

This is why I have mixed feelings....

I always say most of the times you judge the HC by how the players perform... the chargers barely had great pass rushers like the colts do... He's gonna inherit a great pass rush with freeney and mathis and young guys like Nevis, Hughes and anderson.. hoping those guys stay with the colts.

If anything the person i would worry about is the CB coach, is he gonna keep starting lacey or put rucker or thomas infront him... both of those guys are better and more physical than lacey.

I always say most of the times you judge the HC by how the players perform... the chargers barely had great pass rushers like the colts do... He's gonna inherit a great pass rush with freeney and mathis and young guys like Nevis, Hughes and anderson.. hoping those guys stay with the colts.

If anything the person i would worry about is the CB coach, is he gonna keep starting lacey or put rucker or thomas infront him... both of those guys are better and more physical than lacey.

The secondary needs work. I would expect that to be addressed in some shape or form this off-season rather it happens in the draft or free agency.

Manusky...uuuuhhhh. This is such a let down after thinking we had Butler lined up to take over our defense. I'm sorry but I just don't get a good vibe on this hire. San Diego's defense regressed last year, players on defense quit on him as the season went on. San Fran's defense appeared to get better after this guy left. San Diego fired him...Oakland wouldn't hire him...and of course, the Colts say we'll take you. Great.

This hire is probably the result of new Charger DC John Pagano using his connections with his brother to "help out" the guy he replaced. I'll give him time to see what he can actually do on the field obviously...but my initial gut reaction to this announcement is CONCERN. :facepalm:

LaBoy and Phillips are pretty good OLB for a 3-4. Phillips went from 11 sacks in 2010 to 3.5 in 2011. LaBoy went from averaging about 5 sacks per year as a part time starter to 1 sack as a full time starter.

Great...the Coffeeman knows his stuff. This isn't boding well. We hire a DC of a team with a worst 3rd down conversion percentage than even the Colts last year. What? I'm sick of this crap man. So disappointed by this.

The secondary needs work. I would expect that to be addressed in some shape or form this off-season rather it happens in the draft or free agency.

I hope that is the case, right now the colts need a saftey and another good CB... Powers isnt much of dependable guy since he's not a very durable CB

LaBoy and Phillips are pretty good OLB for a 3-4. Phillips went from 11 sacks in 2010 to 3.5 in 2011. LaBoy went from averaging about 5 sacks per year as a part time starter to 1 sack as a full time starter.

I think that was more to do with the fact that the chargers didnt have an opposing threat other than phillips so he got taken care of, Not to mention freeney has a signature move and mathis is pretty much the quickest second to freeney when it comes to getting off the line of scrimmage.

Seems relatively certain that we'll be going to a 3-4. Don't know if they're going to push for it next season or make a gradual transition, but it's happening.

Not thrilled with Manusky, but he's been around on a lot of good defenses. Was the Chargers linebackers coach back when Shawne Merriman was a monster, and was the Niners defensive coordinator when they started getting good defensively. But the Chargers went from #1 to #16. Giving up three more points per game. And as Coffee mentioned, went from 34% on 3rd down to 49% on 3rd down. To me, points allowed and 3rd down percentage are the two most important metrics on defense.

He also runs a different 3-4 from what Pagano ran, and much different from what Wade Phillips instituted in Houston, which I think would be the best use of the personnel we have if we're going to switch defenses.

I don't know... This is one move I'm not too sure about.