DQ Jackson

Arthur Jones

Hugh Thornton

Re-Sign (in order of priority):

Jack Doyle

Robert Turbin

Erik Walden

Akeem Ayers

Mike Adams (if he would sign as a backup; I want our young guys to play)

Free Agents:

Zach Brown - ILB

Trumaine Johnson - CB

Johnathan Hankins - NT

Jason Pierre-Paul - OLB

Draft:

Round One - Trade back a few spots to pick up an extra third round pick - Malik McDowell - DE Michigan State

Pagano, as a player's coach, might be able to get this guy motivated enough to kick it into gear.  If not, Henry Anderson and Kendall Langford can hopefully teach him some intensity.  If he gets going, he'll be a monster for us!

Round Two - Forrest Lamp - RG Western Kentucky

This guy (or Feeney, but I prefer Lamp) would help create a SOLID interior line for years.  Mewhort, Kelly, Lamp would be a great young foundation.

Round Three - Chidobe Awuzie - CB Colorado

I would use him sparingly for the first year in nickel and dime coverage.  He needs to learn how to support the run a little better.  He would be a great insurance policy behind Davis and Johnson, though.

Extra Round Three - Connor Harris - ILB Lindenwood

I would give this guy a chance for his work ethic alone!  He has just enough tools to be a good player in the league.

Round Four - Jordan Willis - OLB Kansas State

Great leader and great player.  Would learn better rush moves behind JPP, but he wouldn't need long.

Round Five - Wayne Gallman - RB Clemson

I'm expecting a few good RBs to fall, and Gallman would make a great committee back with Turbin.

Round Six - Tarell Basham - OLB Ohio State

Another pass rusher who would need to develop a few moves, but he could be a good starter once he gains some polish.

Round Seven - Damien Mama - G USC

Guy comes in on short yardage and goal line to push the pile.  If he can keep his weight DOWN, he'll be a mauler on the line.

Depth Chart:

QB - Luck / Tolzien

RB - Gore / Turbin / Gallman / Ferguson

WR - Hilton / Moncreif / Dorsett / Rogers

TE - Allen / Doyle

LT - Castonzo / Haeg

LG - Mewhort / Good

C - Kelly / Blythe

RG - Lamp / Mama

RT - Clark / Haeg

DE - Anderson / Langford

NT - Hankins / Perry / Kerr

DT - McDowell / Ridgeway / McGill

OLB - Jason Pierre-Paul / Willis

ILB - Brown / E. Jackson

ILB - Harris / Morrison

OLB - Walden / Ayers / Basham

CB - Davis / Awuzie / Melvin

CB - Johnson / Robinson

SS - Geathers / (Adams)

FS - Green / Farley

41 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Cuts:

DQ Jackson

Arthur Jones

Hugh Thornton

Re-Sign (in order of priority):

Jack Doyle

Robert Turbin

Erik Walden

Akeem Ayers

Mike Adams (if he would sign as a backup; I want our young guys to play)

Free Agents:

Zach Brown - ILB

Trumaine Johnson - CB

Johnathan Hankins - NT

Jason Pierre-Paul - OLB

Draft:

Round One - Trade back a few spots to pick up an extra third round pick - Malik McDowell - DE Michigan State

Pagano, as a player's coach, might be able to get this guy motivated enough to kick it into gear.  If not, Henry Anderson and Kendall Langford can hopefully teach him some intensity.  If he gets going, he'll be a monster for us!

Round Two - Forrest Lamp - RG Western Kentucky

This guy (or Feeney, but I prefer Lamp) would help create a SOLID interior line for years.  Mewhort, Kelly, Lamp would be a great young foundation.

Round Three - Chidobe Awuzie - CB Colorado

I would use him sparingly for the first year in nickel and dime coverage.  He needs to learn how to support the run a little better.  He would be a great insurance policy behind Davis and Johnson, though.

Extra Round Three - Connor Harris - ILB Lindenwood

I would give this guy a chance for his work ethic alone!  He has just enough tools to be a good player in the league.

Round Four - Jordan Willis - OLB Kansas State

Great leader and great player.  Would learn better rush moves behind JPP, but he wouldn't need long.

Round Five - Wayne Gallman - RB Clemson

I'm expecting a few good RBs to fall, and Gallman would make a great committee back with Turbin.

Round Six - Tarell Basham - OLB Ohio State

Another pass rusher who would need to develop a few moves, but he could be a good starter once he gains some polish.

Round Seven - Damien Mama - G USC

Guy comes in on short yardage and goal line to push the pile.  If he can keep his weight DOWN, he'll be a mauler on the line.

Depth Chart:

QB - Luck / Tolzien

RB - Gore / Turbin / Gallman / Ferguson

WR - Hilton / Moncreif / Dorsett / Rogers

TE - Allen / Doyle

LT - Castonzo / Haeg

LG - Mewhort / Good

C - Kelly / Blythe

RG - Lamp / Mama

RT - Clark / Haeg

DE - Anderson / Langford

NT - Hankins / Perry / Kerr

DT - McDowell / Ridgeway / McGill

OLB - Jason Pierre-Paul / Willis

ILB - Brown / E. Jackson

ILB - Harris / Morrison

OLB - Walden / Ayers / Basham

CB - Davis / Awuzie / Melvin

CB - Johnson / Robinson

SS - Geathers / (Adams)

FS - Green / Farley

After hearing yesterdays press conference in don't think the Colts are going to big spenders. I can see may 1 or 2 signings on the D. In my opinion, I do not think it would be wise to trade back because I think the Colts are are in a good spot to get a blue chip player. I believe there is a chance that Solomon Thomas could be there. I think he's a better option than Mcdowell

35 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Your plan would limit us to having Maybe a 40 man roster. lol
 Many more failures as Chuck as the leader as far as player development. Good luck.
 Fantastic idea to see us add Forrest Lamp. Today i would bet he is already gone.

I have 46 (47 with Adams) players.  I didn't bother trying to guess who our lowest end players (UDFA and returning bench players) would end up being.  That section of the roster is constantly churning.  I also didn't add the special teams players.

And I'm pretty hopeful that either Lamp or Feeney will be available at our second round pick.

I agree with the above that I don't think we're going to be huge spenders, which is a shame. Personally I'm more of the opinion that if you have the money to use why not use it, but I'm not the GM.

I agree on the cuts. I agree on the resignings. Mike Adams is a rotational starter I think barring any big moves at Safety. Green should come in as the 3rd Safety in the tri-safety package that looked pretty good last year when it was used.

As for your FA, Zach Brown I love. He's probably my no.1 FA priority this year. He's a difference maker and a massive upgrade over what we would have sans DQ, I don't think he would come cheap though. Trumaine Johnson is going to get paid no.1 money. Whether that be the Rams or someone else, someone will pay him big time money, I think there are cheaper options for a no.2 in the early rounds of the draft. Hankins is solid if it's to a reasonable contract. I don't like paying big money to someone who could well just be a 2 down player. I struggle greatly with the JPP signing. The guy is 28 and almost 280lbs. I just don't see where he fits in our scheme. He's a great pass rusher don't get me wrong. But as far as I know, he has never been a standup rusher in his life. He's too big to be a legit 3-4OLB and not big enough to be a legit 3-4DE. For the money he'll command there will be safer options at both positions I think.

Your draft is interesting. Straight off the bat I notice that we don't pick up a pass rusher until the mid-4th round. I honestly can't see us waiting that long to address this gaping abyss of a black hole we have at OLB. You're putting a lot of faith in Erik Walden continuing to pleasantly surprise and JPP adapting. Pagano has lived through the struggles of no pass rush and Ballard has just left a team that had Justin Houston, Tamba Hali and Dee Ford all as legit 10+ sack threats. I think in all honesty we address it early and more than once, especially if we trade back in the 1st picking up another early to mid round pick. I'll leave that thought there and address your picks minus that bias though.

Malik McDowell. The enigma of the 1st round. Taking into account your trade back to probably around #19/#20, he's a reasonable pick. What worries me, are phrases like "Scouts concerned about work ethic" and "Production doesn't match up with the traits and the talent". Considering Ballard came out and said that he wants a roster of self-motivators, unless he seriously shows something during the interviews I can't see Ballard pulling the trigger unless he tumbles out of the 1st.

Forrest Lamp is a good pick. I have mocked us a G here before in a trade down situation mock, so I'm not against using an early pick here. Lamp looked good at the Senior Bowl, but personally I prefer Feeney due to the fact that he is a natural and experienced RG, whilst Lamp would be a converted OT. But as you mentioned but that's down to personal preference. Certainly helps nail down the interior line with stability and youth.

I'll be upfront and say I'm not much of an Awuzie fan. He's a pretty good man cover guy but just doesn't have much else. His tackling is terrible, even by CFB standards. He can get beaten downfield by quicker receivers due to his lack of long speed as well. I don't mind taking a CB at all but I think due to the crowded class there could be a few who drop. I like Damontae Kazee around here. Has similar issues with speed to Awuzie but could be a good fit as a nickel due to his run support work.

Connor Harris is interesting. I watched him about a week ago and instantly saw Scooby Wright from last year. Undersized, high motor ILB with big time production. I have doubts that he will make it as an NFL starter. He gets washed out by D2 Olinemen, without some serious improvements, some of which might not be possible due to his frame, I can just see him being dominated and sliding down depth charts the same way Scooby did. I'd look at Anthony Walker from Northwestern although he may creep up draft boards as we edge closer to the draft.

Jordan Willis was a new one on me so I've had a look. Kansas St. play a 4-3 so the change to OLB would be interesting. What he does have is speed, and that is evident, e has a wicked get off. He is very quick out of his stance. Twitchy kid. Can be disruptive. Desperately needs to develop some more pass rush moves as his rush just stalls when he gets handled by the OT. He'd be an interesting situational rusher if he's there in the 4th.

I liked watching Gallman in Clemson. He played well. He'd be a good change of pace back teamed with Gore who you've rightly decided not to cut imo. Although his lack of vision and instincts inside tell me that he wont be our Jordan Howard/Spencer Ware style late round star RB of the future. Saying that, I wouldn't hate this pick at all. But it wouldn't stop me exploring other avenues once Gore rides into the sunset.

I'll trust you on the late rounders. I haven't looked at many of them yet and don't have the time to check their tape right now.

Overall, not bad imo. I honestly didn't mean for this to be this long so I apologise lol. Nice job :thmup:

Erik Walden better not be re signed. I like the free agent signing but don't think we get them all maybe take out JPP terrible scheme fit. I don't like this draft tho. I like the trading back concept, but not for a 3rd round pick that's pointless. Malik McDowell is a nice talent but we have a lot of huge needs on D and a DE is not one of them. A G, I really like Joe Haeg at RG so I'm not keen on taking one. Tackles suck this year I don't think any would be any improvement over Leraven Clark and he also played well in limited snaps. Connor Harris? Who? No. Chidobe Awuzi I like if hes there for our first 4th round. I like Jordan Willis and would take him a round earlier instead of whoever Harris is. Willis won't be there in the 4th tho. We have 2 4th rounders. I like wayne gallaman, and he could be there in the 4th if other guys pass him. Don't know your 6th and we don't have a 7th. 

8 hours ago, I'm mad, bro said:

18 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Thanks for all the feedback! 

As far as the draft over free agency stance that Ballard has taken, I believe he is a smart man.  That being said, I believe he knows that Andrew Luck's window will not be open indefinitely.  Our best chance to strike was during the later stages of his rookie contract.  With that being over, we only have one or two more contracts left; four or five years being the likely window.  Do we build through the draft which will take three years at least to be competitive, or do we supplement that early in his GM career to stretch that window as wide as possible?  I think he'll surprise us all this year and slowly ease into a draft-heavy approach over the next few years.

Hankins and Brown are my top two on my wish list, but CB and OLB need to be addressed before the draft.  There are a lot of good options available at CB this year (a LOT), and I'm hoping that drives down the market.  If so, getting another CB capable of manning the outside (and moving Robinson to the slot where he excels) would immensely help our young safeties.  Johnson may not be the guy, but there are four-or-five available options who are interchangeable to me at this point.

At OLB, I'm surprised I need to defend Walden at this point; especially looking at our options available.  He may be PFFs lowest rated player in every category they choose to make up, but I don't put a lot of stock in their "metrics."  Do we have better options on our roster?    Ingram is highly unlikely.  Collins re-signed with the Browns.  I doubt Jones joins the team that just cut his brother.  Who does that leave?  I had us getting JPP which is extremely unlikely; he turned down more money from the Cardinals last season to stay with the Giants.  I figured that, if we landed Hankins, JPP might be able to be persuaded to join us.  As far as his size, he's two inches taller than Hali and only three pounds heavier.  He would play OLB in our scheme and be the Hali of our defense (a heavier version of Suggs).  

Regarding my gamble with McDowell, I actually agree with you guys.  He has motivation issues, and I'd prefer Thomas, Takk, and some mocks even have us with a chance at Lattimore!  I have McDowell, because I believe Ballard wants to build our team from the lines back, and I think Thomas will be gone.  Dalvin Cook seems to be the other popular option here, and that may actually happen.  Cook would be a luxury pick, but it would be hard to argue that he wouldn't be the best player available at our spot.  We can move back and still get McDowell, but I think nabbing a second is unlikely.  Saying a third isn't worth it is ridiculous to me, as the third round has a great rate of success in the league.

Lamp is another "I think Ballard wants to build the lines" guess.  I also like Haeg, but I like him competing with Clark to be our RT.  I don't think we re-sign Costanzo after this contract expires, so we will have Clark / Mewhort / Kelly / Lamp / Haeg in a few years.  The forum seems to love Zeitler (and I could see him as a possibility), but I don't want to pay him what he could make when there are two rookies I think could do an outstanding job.  Lamp / Feeney are two of my major wish-list targets for this draft.

Thanks for the update on the draft order!  I'll be able to fit them better knowing that!

Consider it:

1 - McDowell

2 - Lamp

3a - Willis

3b - Harris

4a - Awuzie

4b - Gallman

5 - Basham

6 - Mama

That helps the "you drafted them a round too late" problems!

12 minutes ago, Manning1887 said:

I love the Tarell Basham pick on Day 3! He is actually from Ohio University though, not Ohio State.

Not sure if he lasts until the 6th round, but he comes from the underrated MAC and has some potential. 

Thanks for that spot!  My mistake!

20 hours ago, That Guy said:

I have 46 (47 with Adams) players.  I didn't bother trying to guess who our lowest end players (UDFA and returning bench players) would end up being.  That section of the roster is constantly churning.  I also didn't add the special teams players.

And I'm pretty hopeful that either Lamp or Feeney will be available at our second round pick.

You actually would have 50 because we still have McAfee, Overton, and Vinny

14 hours ago, That Guy said:

Thanks for all the feedback! 

As far as the draft over free agency stance that Ballard has taken, I believe he is a smart man.  That being said, I believe he knows that Andrew Luck's window will not be open indefinitely.  Our best chance to strike was during the later stages of his rookie contract.  With that being over, we only have one or two more contracts left; four or five years being the likely window.  Do we build through the draft which will take three years at least to be competitive, or do we supplement that early in his GM career to stretch that window as wide as possible?  I think he'll surprise us all this year and slowly ease into a draft-heavy approach over the next few years.

Hankins and Brown are my top two on my wish list, but CB and OLB need to be addressed before the draft.  There are a lot of good options available at CB this year (a LOT), and I'm hoping that drives down the market.  If so, getting another CB capable of manning the outside (and moving Robinson to the slot where he excels) would immensely help our young safeties.  Johnson may not be the guy, but there are four-or-five available options who are interchangeable to me at this point.

At OLB, I'm surprised I need to defend Walden at this point; especially looking at our options available.  He may be PFFs lowest rated player in every category they choose to make up, but I don't put a lot of stock in their "metrics."  Do we have better options on our roster?    Ingram is highly unlikely.  Collins re-signed with the Browns.  I doubt Jones joins the team that just cut his brother.  Who does that leave?  I had us getting JPP which is extremely unlikely; he turned down more money from the Cardinals last season to stay with the Giants.  I figured that, if we landed Hankins, JPP might be able to be persuaded to join us.  As far as his size, he's two inches taller than Hali and only three pounds heavier.  He would play OLB in our scheme and be the Hali of our defense (a heavier version of Suggs).  

Regarding my gamble with McDowell, I actually agree with you guys.  He has motivation issues, and I'd prefer Thomas, Takk, and some mocks even have us with a chance at Lattimore!  I have McDowell, because I believe Ballard wants to build our team from the lines back, and I think Thomas will be gone.  Dalvin Cook seems to be the other popular option here, and that may actually happen.  Cook would be a luxury pick, but it would be hard to argue that he wouldn't be the best player available at our spot.  We can move back and still get McDowell, but I think nabbing a second is unlikely.  Saying a third isn't worth it is ridiculous to me, as the third round has a great rate of success in the league.

Lamp is another "I think Ballard wants to build the lines" guess.  I also like Haeg, but I like him competing with Clark to be our RT.  I don't think we re-sign Costanzo after this contract expires, so we will have Clark / Mewhort / Kelly / Lamp / Haeg in a few years.  The forum seems to love Zeitler (and I could see him as a possibility), but I don't want to pay him what he could make when there are two rookies I think could do an outstanding job.  Lamp / Feeney are two of my major wish-list targets for this draft.

Thanks for the update on the draft order!  I'll be able to fit them better knowing that!

Consider it:

1 - McDowell

2 - Lamp

3a - Willis

3b - Harris

4a - Awuzie

4b - Gallman

5 - Basham

6 - Mama

That helps the "you drafted them a round too late" problems!

IDC what PFF says either what do your eyes tell you? Erik Walden is straight trash we need to either add two edges in the draft of add one in free agency and one in draft. Idk why you dont address it at all. Also the players in your draft are so terrible 

That wouldn't be enough as far as upgrading the pass rush. JPP I wouldn't touch unless its a dirt cheap 1 year deal, but the Cowboys or somebody will probably give him big money. Nick Perry and Melvin Ingram need to be our top targets. One of the two has to be a Colt if we want a good FA, and if we want to improve our team. Let Walden go and bring in a vet like Ware or Peppers on a cheaper 1-2 year deal too. They'll probably get less than Walden honestly. My hope is Perry, Bouye, Williams, Brown, and Lang. 3 pretty big signings money wise with Perry, Bouye, and Wiliams. But Perry and Bouye wont get like Vernon and Jenkins money I wouldn't think so we can make all 5 happen with 60plus million in cap space.