Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report (as of 01/28/17): Chris Ballard back for second interview

masterlock

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Pretty quick for a second interview considering his 1st interview was like 2 days ago. Maybe that's a good sign.

might be that Irsay will try to further promote Pagano as head-coach to him and see what his response is.  I know, I'm jumping at straws but the Indy Star just said that all six are coming back in for 2nd round with Ballard scheduled for Monday,  so we have to speculate for another week or so, I might as well start somewhere.....

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

might be that Irsay will try to further promote Pagano as head-coach to him and see what his response is.  I know, I'm jumping at straws but the Indy Star just said that all six are coming back in for 2nd round with Ballard scheduled for Monday,  so we have to speculate for another week or so, I might as well start somewhere.....

Oh, man! It's going to be a long week. 

7 hours ago, #12. said:

Women and assistants beware.  In Oakland, he bashed an assistant's head into a file cabinet, breaking his jaw and sending him to the hospital.

Then there's George Patton who slaps you when you're shell shocked.

But he will bring that "toughness" that everyone wants!!! Yelling at people, assault, its all better than hand clapping!! :sarcasm:

Obviously, I am no expert, but just by draft history, I don''t see what is so good about what Ballard has been involved with on the Chiefs drafts.  They are mediocre in my opinion. Eric Fischer?  It reminds me of when Grigson came in, I couldn't figure out where the Eagles had done such a great job of drafting.  Will we be duped by Andy Reid making a GM look good again?  And many of the Chief players came under Scott Pioli.

12 hours ago, stitches said:

I want him to change the coach too. Hopefully not just for the sake of changing coach, but rather with a clear idea and plan about the future of the team.

BTW, this might be a stupid question but I'm relatively new to football - how often do teams change their base defensive scheme with new head coach?

Depends on the new coach. If the new coach (or even his new DC) runs a different scheme then it will obviously be changed. Only way it will be the same is if the new regime runs the same scheme. 

If Ballard is hired I really hope he recruits NT Dontari Poe to Indy to be their true NT this team has been lacking. Poe would free up everyone in the front 7 and would also provide some pass rush from the inside. Parry can spell him on occasion.

I'm pretty sure Berry will be brought back by KC. Poe we might have a shot at and it's the bigger need since Butler could play FS along with Adams.

59 minutes ago, Superman said:

Who is Jonas Grey? Is he in a boy band?

C'mon. He was in the league 4 years and had a little over 500 rushing yards in his career. Just because he had like 80% of his TD's and 40% of his career rushing yards in that game , you want to selectively erase it from your memory ? It was a very bold game plan , we held Brady to 257 years and just a couple TD's . 

1 hour ago, chrisfarley said:

I didn't interpret the article that all 6 are coming back for a 2nd interview. I understood it to mean that Ballard is the first of the 6 to be called back for a 2nd interview. 

"Kansas City Chiefs executive Chris Ballard reportedly will be the first of the six candidates to be called back for a follow up, according to ESPN."

14 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If Ballard is hired I really hope he recruits NT Dontari Poe to Indy to be their true NT this team has been lacking. Poe would free up everyone in the front 7 and would also provide some pass rush from the inside. Parry can spell him on occasion.

I'm pretty sure Berry will be brought back by KC. Poe we might have a shot at and it's the bigger need since Butler could play FS along with Adams.

Adams needs to be resigned first...

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think the first interview was down in Mobile. They might be hosting him in Indy this time. 

This looks to be a done deal. I think the only question now is who 's the head coach ? I'm not excited about either option. Maybe better off with Pagano ? I have similar opinion of Toub as you do and if he's the hire , we're stuck with him for a few years. Maybe Pagano surprises or a better candidate is available in 2018. 

19 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Personally,  I'm not in the Poe Camp.      I don't want to pay a Nose Tackle,   ANY nose tackle more than 10 million a year.      I don't think the position demands that we do.    

Put another way,  let's see if KC pays him that kind of money?      My hunch is no.      Not that they don't love him,   but that's a ton of money for a nose tackle.

Just in case we end up getting Ballard and he picks his coach, here is an excerpt on Toub 

"He's a combination of John Harbaugh and John Madden," one of Toub's former colleagues said. "He is the real deal. This guy can coach. Period. He's a big guy, physically, who can take over a room when he has to. He gets people to buy in. These guys love playing for him. He comes from a great [coaching] family tree. Look at Andy Reid's assistants over the years. This guy is ready. All he needs is a chance."

On 1/27/2017 at 11:59 PM, NorthernBlue said:

I wonder how much of an effect getting Ballard would mean on perhaps the chances of say, an Eric Berry or Dontari Poe signing in Indy?

I know, chances are still gonna be really low regardless, but you gotta think they'd be increased somewhat if they do indeed get Ballard.

That would be huge. I think it largely depends on if he is the type of guy to talk to his players a lot. If the players know him individually, it would help. Like Andy Reid bringing in players from his former team. 

17 minutes ago, dw49 said:

This looks to be a done deal. I think the only question now is who 's the head coach ? I'm not excited about either option. Maybe better off with Pagano ? I have similar opinion of Toub as you do and if he's the hire , we're stuck with him for a few years. Maybe Pagano surprises or a better candidate is available in 2018. 

I'm worried about that too. But he must be sought after in this league as he had two interviews from other teams this year. His speciality just happens to be special teams. At least we would get a new OC, linebackers, and secondary coach. Lol

22 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

I didn't interpret the article that all 6 are coming back for a 2nd interview. I understood it to mean that Ballard is the first of the 6 to be called back for a 2nd interview. 

"Kansas City Chiefs executive Chris Ballard reportedly will be the first of the six candidates to be called back for a follow up, according to ESPN."

This. It doesn't say all 6 will have second interviews.

39 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't think we bring back both Butler and Adams. Butler has stated he wants to play safety. We have TJ Green that no matter who our coach is, I don't see giving up on. We don't have room for 3 that all need playing time.

29 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

you are absolutely right.  I am relieved -- and yet ashamed that I can't read english.  my excuse is it's the river water.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Personally,  I'm not in the Poe Camp.      I don't want to pay a Nose Tackle,   ANY nose tackle more than 10 million a year.      I don't think the position demands that we do.    

Put another way,  let's see if KC pays him that kind of money?      My hunch is no.      Not that they don't love him,   but that's a ton of money for a nose tackle.

It's astounding to me that he and Brandon Williams are projected to make so much money. Spotrac has a new feature that tells you a guy's market value, and for Poe it's over $13 million. I've been wrong before, but I really can't foresee these guys making more than 8 a year. Nose tackles just aren't as important as they were 15 years ago.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would love to have Poe but would rather have Eric Berry if I had to choose between the 2.

59 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I'm worried about that too. But he must be sought after in this league as he had two interviews from other teams this year. His speciality just happens to be special teams. At least we would get a new OC, linebackers, and secondary coach. Lol

Yeah.. just makes me nervous he's been around this long as is still special teams. But your right.

I know some people are going to simply say that KC is in a difficult spot with their Salary Cap.     And they are.

But typically,  you find a way to keep the players you want to keep and cut,  or don't re-sign,  the players you think are less important.

So, if KC wanted to find a way to keep BOTH Berry and Poe,  they'd do it.     My hunch is they'll pick one or the other,  but not both.     And if it's one,  they'll prefer Berry.      Not a knock on Poe,  just that he's likely more replaceable at a decent price,   but that 8 figures a year....

3 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

I keep hearing that Toad is great. If that's so why not an OC job?

I think this is the old way of thinking and doing things in the NFL.  And for the most part, it still is. College coach to NFL position coach to an o or d coordinator to Head Coach.

But I think the larger role for the Head Coach has become being able to assemble a great staff, being able to share your vision with that staff and front office, being able to command a room and overall just being a leader - a CEO of sorts.  I think those are the ultimate qualities an NFL team is looking for and if they are best personified in a special teams coordinator, hire him and don't look back.

51 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think this is the old way of thinking and doing things in the NFL.  And for the most part, it still is. College coach to NFL position coach to an o or d coordinator to Head Coach.

But I think the larger role for the Head Coach has become being able to assemble a great staff, being able to share your vision with that staff and front office, being able to command a room and overall just being a leader - a CEO of sorts.  I think those are the ultimate qualities an NFL team is looking for and if they are best personified in a special teams coordinator, hire him and don't look back.

Why hasn't this guys talent been recognized and rewarded much earlier then?

4 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Why hasn't this guys talent been recognized and rewarded much earlier then?

Dear God....  I am not in the league so I really can't speak to that.  

And my larger point was not about Toub specifically but more about hiring the guy they think is best for the team, regardless if he has never been a coordinator before.

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Maybe you wouldnt

He's a late 20s player near the end of his functional career who will requite a multi year 8 figure contract

28 is the near the end of his functional year?     He turned 28 a month ago.

So, a 5 year deal takes him through 32.      Not terrible. 

What might scare me off is the price tag.       He's going to get a large chunk of change.   Roughly 11 million per...    and personally,   that's too rich for my taste.      Perhaps that's where we agree....

7 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Obviously, I am no expert, but just by draft history, I don''t see what is so good about what Ballard has been involved with on the Chiefs drafts.  They are mediocre in my opinion. Eric Fischer?  It reminds me of when Grigson came in, I couldn't figure out where the Eagles had done such a great job of drafting.  Will we be duped by Andy Reid making a GM look good again?  And many of the Chief players came under Scott Pioli.

Eric Fisher was drafted 2013, Ballard came in after that draft. Relative to their draft position, I think they have drafted pretty damn well.

'14 1st (24th ovr); Dee Ford; 10 sacks last year. Also found starters/backups, though not great ones, at CB, and both G positions in with 3rd, 6th and 6th round picks. No 2nd rounder, part of the Alex Smith trade.

2015 1st round (18th ovr) they got Marcus Peters, who has already made 1st and 2nd team All Pro teams so far in his career. Mitch Morse, 2nd rounder, solid to above average starting center. With their 3rd, compensation 3rd, 4th, and couple of late rounders they found depth/passable starters at WR, CB, ILB, and DT. And even Pro Bowl special teamer.

Last year they picked Chris Jones on their first pick after a trade down. For my money, he's been the best interior Dlineman of the draft (counting Bosa as an edge players), and again seemed to find at least solid depth at in mid/later rounds. Plus Tyreek Hill.

They don't miss on their first 2 picks; all 3 of their 1st rounder the past three years are pretty dman good players. The only year they had 2nd rounder they picked a starting center. They found depth in the later rounds.

They haven't found studs at skill positions outside of Hill and outside of Hill, they haven't found great players later in the draft either. But other than that, if we compare that drafting to other teams who've drafted in the same range with similar amount of picks, I'm pretty sure they Chiefs compare favorably against almost all of them.

7 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

Yep he very well could be the first and only for all we know.  I doubt it but you never know.

On 1/27/2017 at 8:45 PM, masterlock said:

Because he's done a great job of drafting for the Chiefs. The only reason KC hasn't gone further is the QB situation. He wouldn't have that problem in Indy. 

He has a strong background with the Bears when they had great D about 10-15 years ago too. I was skeptical because of the Chiefs but I read up on him and it looks like a great pick to me now. 

http://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/29/chiefs-chris-ballard-to-have-second-interview-with-colts/

...Marc Lillibridge of SportsXchange made a good point on Twitter: if Ballard is hired by Indy, there’s a possibility he could take Chiefs special teams coordinator Dave Toub with him to be the team’s head coach...

...If Ballard is hired and fires Pagano, Toub would be a great choice as head coach for the Colts. Toub has already interviewed for several head coaching gigs in the past, and spent nine years with Ballard with the Chicago Bears.

9 hours ago, bertjones7 said:

This quote does not mean all six will be back.

9 hours ago, dw49 said:

C'mon. He was in the league 4 years and had a little over 500 rushing yards in his career. Just because he had like 80% of his TD's and 40% of his career rushing yards in that game , you want to selectively erase it from your memory ? It was a very bold game plan , we held Brady to 257 years and just a couple TD's . 

257 years?  Shouldn't Brady retire already?  A little old for a qb? lol

8 minutes ago, Virtuoso80 said:

257 years?  Shouldn't Brady retire already?  A little old for a qb? lol

I'm thinking of turning off the spell check feature. Really has a mind of it's own. The other day it wouldn't et me write Pagano . Kept changing it to Nagano. Had to change it to C.P.