Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report (as of 01/28/17): Chris Ballard back for second interview

masterlock

3 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

If you think about it, it's probably Irsay's "Can't lose" choice (promoting Raye).  He gets to keep his word on Pagano, keeps everyone happy inside the horseshoe, and he can make that choice almost immediately and keep the wheels turning as it relates to draft, FA, etc.  I say this only with these supposed latest developments in mind, as far as GM's wanting new coaching blood.

Yeah, but the disappointment would be unbearable here!

I'm also not sure that Irsay would think of the solution as being a "can't loose". He needs to get it right this time and he is clearly not sold on Pagano. Too many good GM's available now to mess it up because of a feel good forwards P.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't see why having Pagano for a 1 year trial would be so bad for a new GM coming in. He'd still be able to get his guy next offseason if he still felt Pagano wasn't his guy after evaluating him in 2017.

All of them met with Pagano. It could just be a situation where they feel they don't like him even for one year or they didn't mesh well at all or something. 

I wonder if Irsay wants to have a big hand in Pagano's evaluation next season.

I can't see Ballard being that unwilling to put up with Chuck for a year, but I can see him being worried that Irsay will try to nudge him into keeping Chuck.

Oh, and the Tom Cable rumors. How would Jed York know who he wanted if they didn't even have an interview? I know the Seahawks guys are rumored to want Cable, but Ballard wanting Cable doesn't make sense.

21 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

Yeah, but the disappointment would be unbearable here!

I'm also not sure that Irsay would think of the solution as being a "can't loose". He needs to get it right this time and he is clearly not sold on Pagano. Too many good GM's available now to mess it up because of a feel good forwards P.

totally agree on both points.....as far as this is a unique crossroads for the organization where Luck is in his prime, GM spot open, and great GM candidates available in number AND really want to come to the Colts and build something special. 

19 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't see why having Pagano for a 1 year trial would be so bad for a new GM coming in. He'd still be able to get his guy next offseason if he still felt Pagano wasn't his guy after evaluating him in 2017.

It ISN'T a bad thing for a new GM.    The new GM essentially gets a one year free pass.    The team's record, if poor,  is not on him.    It'll be more on Pagano.

The new GM won't be fully accountable until 2018.      By the way,  the new GM will not admit that publicly at his hiring news conference.     And he'll publicly deny it.     But common sense and logic tells you it's true.

Those who think the GM won't want this job because they get Chuck Pagano for a year simply don't understand it and are most likely in the Pagano-haters club.

4 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

The anxiety is killing me. Just have to wait and see I suppose... If raye is a finalist the likely hood of pagnao staying goes up exponentially. Of course it's all speculation but it wouldn't be a surprise either. 

No doubt.  I can't imagine what it's like for Pagano and some of the other coaches right now.  Between the fans and the Colts employees, there is a blue fog over the city and we're all waiting for a bright ray of light rising from the east to burn that fog off.  

7 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

No doubt.  I can't imagine what it's like for Pagano and some of the other coaches right now.  Between the fans and the Colts employees, there is a blue fog over the city and we're all waiting for a bright ray of light rising from the east to burn that fog off.  

Ah yes a "raye" of light...not funny? Ok bad pun. But in all seriousness I'm hoping to see who made the cut sometime today. Ease some of the fog away. 

4 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Ah yes a "raye" of light...not funny? Ok bad pun. But in all seriousness I'm hoping to see who made the cut sometime today. Ease some of the fog away. 

as i was typing that, i thought about replacing that word with something else , lol... it was just too close.

16 hours ago, masterlock said:

Because he's done a great job of drafting for the Chiefs. The only reason KC hasn't gone further is the QB situation. He wouldn't have that problem in Indy. 

How do you know how much input he had on the chiefs drafts?

2 hours ago, adubb84 said:

The anxiety is killing me. Just have to wait and see I suppose... If raye is a finalist the likely hood of pagnao staying goes up exponentially. Of course it's all speculation but it wouldn't be a surprise either. 

Clayton said on ESPN this morning he thinks a GM will be named in the next 24 hours so the wait might almost be over.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Depends if they do a second round of interviews or not.

Which I'm on the fence about. We don't know, but besides Patton was there a slam dunk interview? This whole "toub" thing scares me so I would hope Irsay is really doing his homework 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Clayton said on ESPN this morning he thinks a GM will be named in the next 24 hours so the wait might almost be over.

I'm not going to pretend that I know whole heck of a lot about each candidate, BUT I hope the next 24 hours reveals the one I'm leaning towards (hint: Ballard sans toub)

3 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

I take ballard and toub anyday to raye and chuck.

I get shannahan, but you would take a risk on a special teams coach? Not being funny, but seriously asking. I would "almost" take my lumps worth pagano one more year 

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't think Toub could be any worse than Pagano. Pagano is pretty incompetent as a coach. It's hard to get worse than Pagano. Players love him but that's about the only positive thing you can say about him.

Players love chuck then how come they were ill prepared most of the games. He coddles them. Colts need toughness. Toub will bring that.

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

Cable beats women. I'd seriously have to re-consider my fandom with this team if they hire Cable tbqh

Women and assistants beware.  In Oakland, he bashed an assistant's head into a file cabinet, breaking his jaw and sending him to the hospital.

Then there's George Patton who slaps you when you're shell shocked.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I just don't think I want Dave Toub. Or Tom Cable. I don't think Irsay would hire Cable, though, and I think his daughters would be influential there. 

Toub has gotten quite a few HC interviews over the past few seasons which is pretty unusual for a ST coordinator which makes me think know that there might be something there worth considering. 

12 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Why is everyone so down on raye?

Chuck/Raye feels like status quo.  We need a fresh start and some fresh ideas, coming from someone who hasn't been part of this process for the past 4 years.

1 hour ago, JColts72 said:

Players love chuck then how come they were ill prepared most of the games. He coddles them. Colts need toughness. Toub will bring that.

Nah I totally agree with you. I'm just saying that the only real positive about Pagano as a coach has been the claim that the players love him. If not for that there's really not much separating Chuck from whoever you'd say is the worst coach in the NFL. It's hard to imagine anyone doing worse with a new GM.