Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report (as of 01/28/17): Chris Ballard back for second interview

masterlock

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You all should look at KC draft picks the past few years compared to their depth chart, they have built their entire team through the draft, and alot of them are starters. Example in the 6th round of the 2014 draft they selected 2 offensive linemen both of them are starters on their offensive line, Zach Fulton and Laurent Duvernay Tardif. They draft very very well.

6 minutes ago, CS5959 said:

You all should look at KC draft picks the past few years compared to their depth chart, they have built their entire team through the draft, and alot of them are starters. Example in the 6th round of the 2014 draft they selected 2 offensive linemen both of them are starters on their offensive line, Zach Fulton and Laurent Duvernay Tardif. They draft very very well.

What I really liked about looking at the Chiefs' recent drafts is that they almost always got quality starters with their first 3 picks... I don't know how much of that to attribute to Ballard, but I think that their drafts since 2012 were  better than Seattle's and at least as good as Minnesota's 

7 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

I wonder how much of an effect getting Ballard would mean on perhaps the chances of say, an Eric Berry or Dontari Poe signing in Indy?

I know, chances are still gonna be really low regardless, but you gotta think they'd be increased somewhat if they do indeed get Ballard.

I doubt he would impact it all.  

Now if he, providing he gets the job, were to offer either of them the best contract available, then you might have something.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Imagine had Mathis been healthy coming off of 2013. I seriously doubt the Pats beat us 45-7 had we had Mathis but that is JMO. That game would've been much closer.

Game probably would of been around the same score. Our offense was shut down and the run D would of still been Swiss cheese

12 hours ago, runthepost said:

Tyrek hill, Travis Kelce...

Ballard was hired by the Chiefs after the '13 draft. He didn't have a role in drafting Kelce.

So he's been with the Chiefs for 3 drafts. They haven't been able to get lot of talent at skill positions on offensive side (solid picks on oline though) but it's been only 3 drafts. Can't nail picks at every position in such a short time.

1 minute ago, Finball said:

Ballard was hired by the Chiefs after the '13 draft. He didn't have a role in drafting Kelce.

So he's been with the Chiefs for 3 drafts. They haven't been able to get lot of talent at skill positions on offensive side (solid picks on oline though) but it's been only 3 drafts. Can't nail picks at every position in such a short time.

Prolly cause they don't reach for offensive players and just take the best player avaliable even if it's on D. 

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Why would you say that?

The Meh was directed at the "reports" and "unnamed sources" . Have we not figured out that 99% of these are false?

now if Ballard becomes GM , I'll be happy but until a press conference is called and he is introduced, I'll continue doubting the sources

9 hours ago, CS5959 said:

And they don't reach on project players, although I thought Chris Conley went too high. It also seems like they know how to handle character issue guys. They took Peters in the 1st round because his concerns were an attitude issue when he was on his team. But Tyreek Hill they didn't take until round 6. 

13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The Meh was directed at the "reports" and "unnamed sources" . Have we not figured out that 99% of these are false?

now if Ballard becomes GM , I'll be happy but until a press conference is called and he is introduced, I'll continue doubting the sources

Thanks.  Assumed it was directed toward Ballard as the choice.

3 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I doubt he would impact it all.  

Now if he, providing he gets the job, were to offer either of them the best contract available, then you might have something.

I agree.  If we get beck to the playoffs, THEN maybe players will take less to play in a successful system.  With Andrew Luck.

43 minutes ago, Finball said:

Look at his bears drafts.

20 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Look at his bears drafts.

If I'm not mistaken, he was mostly just a scout with the Bears (and director of pro scouting at the ned of his tenure), so he wouldn't have had as much say in the drafts as he's had now with the Chiefs.

I did found this article pretty interesting.

Some big hits, some big misses. Really hard to say without more info though. But at least he has eye for the talent

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-chris-ballard-gm-trivia-20150107-story.html

He was directly involved in many notable Bears acquisitions. The Bears’ offseason moves haven’t been fruitful of late, but Ballard helped bring a host of talent to Chicago during the Angelo era. He assisted on the draft selections of six former Pro Bowlers in Matt Forte, Charles Tillman, Johnny Knox, Nathan Vasher, Tommie Harris and Henry Melton; former Bears scout Greg Gabriel told WSCR-AM (670) on Tuesday that Ballard “literally jumped on the table” for Tillman. Ballard also had a direct hand in bringing Brandon Marshall, Martellus Bennett and Jermon Bushrod to Chicago. Not all of his endorsements have been successful, though: Ballard was a strong proponent of Cedric Benson, who was taken in the 2005 NFL draft ahead of fellow first-round picks Aaron Rodgers, Roddy White, Antrel Rolle and DeMarcus Ware.

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I want him to change the coach too. Hopefully not just for the sake of changing coach, but rather with a clear idea and plan about the future of the team.

BTW, this might be a stupid question but I'm relatively new to football - how often do teams change their base defensive scheme with new head coach?

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

What's telling here is that ALL these candidates are defensive minds, ALL had a chance to meet with Pagano, who is also a defensive mind, and 3 so far still doesn't want Pagano. That should say it all right there.

Like I've said all along, I don't see Pagano being here next year if Irsay hires outside of the org. If Raye gets GM , pagano stays

7 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

LOL, just think what would happen to this forum if Irsay says no to Ballard's demand and goes for Ray because he kinda likes Chucky. 

lmao

If you think about it, it's probably Irsay's "Can't lose" choice (promoting Raye).  He gets to keep his word on Pagano, keeps everyone happy inside the horseshoe, and he can make that choice almost immediately and keep the wheels turning as it relates to draft, FA, etc.  I say this only with these supposed latest developments in mind, as far as GM's wanting new coaching blood.

Ballard is his own man with his own opinions and he has spent the last two seasons working as the director of player personnel for the Chiefs under John Dorsey, whose Packers background includes time working for Ron Wolf and draft-driven Ted Thompson.

Yes, Ballard was the area scout when the Bears drafted running back Cedric Benson No. 4 overall out of Texas in 2005. Two years later, when it was becoming evident Benson wasn't going to work out, he thought the Bears should move up to draft Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson if they had a chance.

That's a good sign. Ballard has strong enough conviction in what he's doing to admit when he has erred. He's the best salesman in the room with a clear-eyed belief in what he's doing but he also listens well.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-chris-ballard-biggs-bears-spt-0108-20150107-story.html

Now this is something I like. No GM bats perfectly, there are going to be misses. But this guys seems to be willing to learn from his mistakes, admit that he's made one and fix it.

The whole article is a good read.

I think Irsay was very serious about Pagano's status for 2017. He said that Pagano is coming back multiple times and it makes sense on some level (Andrew Luck being injured will hurt if we install a new everything with a new head coach). However, now that there are reports saying that GM candidates (especially the top ones) want to switch head coaches, I don't think Irsay is just gonna automatically set aside Pagano (even though it seems we all want him to) for a Cable or a Taub. I think if Irsay looks past Ballard because he wants to make a HC switch he will go the next guy on the list until a guy is there that wants Pagano. Now, if ALL of them, except Raye, obviously want to kick Pagano out then I will believe Irsay would rather have the new GM and a new HC rather than have Raye and Pagano based on recent information.