Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

5 years ago to the day

csmopar

Today is the 5 year anniversary of the hiring of Chuck Pagano.  Now, I know a lot on here want him gone, MYSELF INCLUDED. But I thought I'd look at his record on paper.

41-23 Regular Season

3-3 Post Season

44-26 overall for a .629 winning average.

That's with 3 different offensive cordinators, 2 different DCs and a hurt andrew luck for 2 seasons, missing 9 games total.

I know a lot of people don't care for him but I don't think he's that bad of a coach.  I've been saying for a while he needs some talent on the defensive side of the ball.  I really think the GM was the issue.  If Chuck is the coach next year and is unsuccessful with a new GM then I can admit I was wrong.  Let's see what he can do with a new GM and decent draft.  I am not saying he's the best coach in the league, there are plenty that are better but he's not the worst. 

He's not a horrible coach, he's done good with what he's been given. Definitely not a BB though obviously lol. He can't help it if our defense has been garbage for ever.

He has made some very bone headed decisions though... fake punt and bad clock management for example.

4 minutes ago, TDewar1987 said:

He's not a horrible coach, he's done good with what he's been given. Definitely not a BB though obviously lol. He can't help it if our defense has been garbage for ever.

He has made some very bone headed decisions though... fake punt and bad clock management for example.

yeah he has. But part of me is sitting here wondering if maybe that's because he was trying to do too much with too little?  I still think we need a new coach to win us the trophy but I'm willing to give him one more chance to see if the reports are true now that Grigson is gone. 

Just now, csmopar said:

yeah he has. But part of me is sitting here wondering if maybe that's because he was trying to do too much with too little?  I still think we need a new coach to win us the trophy but I'm willing to give him one more chance to see if the reports are true now that Grigson is gone. 

For sure. Give him a year with the new GM to see if he improves, assuming the new GM doesn't show him the door and we draft well.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Today is the 5 year anniversary of the hiring of Chuck Pagano.  Now, I know a lot on here want him gone, MYSELF INCLUDED. But I thought I'd look at his record on paper.

41-23 Regular Season

3-3 Post Season

44-26 overall for a .629 winning average.

That's with 3 different offensive cordinators, 2 different DCs and a hurt andrew luck for 2 seasons, missing 9 games total.

Appreciate the post.....   Thanks.

Just not sure how you got 41-23?        I've got 49-31,  and that's what the Colts and the NFL would say.

But even if you discount his first year where Arians took over,  you've taken off 8 wins and 8 losses from Chuck.   As if you've left off either the 2015 or the 2016 season?       Seems.....   odd.

It's true, he's not as terrible as some think.

I'm hoping for change if this team still struggles in similar areas, even if they win a couple more games, doesn't mean I don't think he's a great guy though.

I'd like to see what he could do as a college HC. Seems perfect for him, really. I know I'm not a huge supporter of his now, but funnily enough I'd root hard for him if he went anywhere else.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Appreciate the post.....   Thanks.

Just not sure how you got 41-23?        I've got 49-31,  and that's what the Colts and the NFL would say.

But even if you discount his first year where Arians took over,  you've taken off 8 wins and 8 losses from Chuck.   As if you've left off either the 2015 or the 2016 season?       Seems.....   odd.

I forgot the 2016 season, my bad, you are correct.

In another thread where someone almost jokingly compared the Colts to Cleveland Browns, I optimistically suggested that the Colts comparerd better to the '13-'15 Falcons, in that both teams lacked talent in the defensive side of the ball but had upper tier offenses that were capable. Now looking at the comparison further, does Pagano compare similarly to Mike Smith in some ways???

Defensive minded coaches with under performing defenses, but overall decent records, that don't really tell the whole story???

Quinn has certainly/obviously helped the Falcons give over that hump...

I like Chuck Pagano.  I think he would be a great coordinator.  I think he struggles with game planning.  Nobody seems to be able to game plan like the Pats.  I also think he struggles with in-game adjustments.  Can he improve in these areas - sure, if he thinks it's an issue and he wants to work on it.

I said this before.  Marty Schottenheimer was a great coach during the week.  He had some great teams that didn't quite make it to the top.  Way too many times his teams would be in the lead in the 4th qtr and would give it back by playing a prevent defense.  It was horrible to watch.  

I get the same feeling about Pagano.  He's not a bad coach, but is he who we want for the next few years during Luck's prime?  

13 hours ago, TDewar1987 said:

Yeah this was my complaint as well.  I mean when you step back and look at the record he is pretty high up there really.  BUT, there are always those 2-3 times in the game where you go :facepalm:

On the whole, I think he's doing as well as his personnel will allow him.  BUT, I would still like to go in another direction if a better option comes along.  I think an owner should ALWAYS be looking for ways to upgrade his franchise.

19 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Thats why I think Irsay is a great owner. You can tell hes willing to do anything to make this team better.

I honestly think he's the best Owner in the NFL. I would rather have him than Kraft even, he doesn't cheat - ok I will stop there but he has the 2nd Most Regular Season wins since being Owner, brought the Indianapolis Colts a SB Championship, and he made sure we took Peyton over Leaf and Luck over RGIII. As the Owner there was no chance he was going to let our GM's choose those other QB's. He also cares about what the fans think. Yeah Trolls like to make fun of him because of his DUI and Pill addiction but IMO that is really sad. It doesn't take away his ability of being a Great Owner and caring about the fans. He also had nothing to do with the move from Baltimore, that was his daddy so that should be squashed.

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly think he's the best Owner in the NFL. I would rather have him than Kraft even, he doesn't cheat - ok I will stop there but he has the 2nd Most Regular Season wins since being Owner, brought the Indianapolis Colts a SB Championship, and he made sure we took Peyton over Leaf and Luck over RGIII. As the Owner there was no chance he was going to let our GM's choose those other QB's. He also cares about what the fans think. Yeah Trolls like to make fun of him because of his DUI and Pill addiction but IMO that is really sad. It doesn't take away his ability of being a Great Owner and caring about the fans. He also had nothing to do with the move from Baltimore, that was his daddy so that should be squashed.

I think its disgusting when people make fun of his past drug addiction. Thats nothing to be joking about. It shows hes not a perfect human being, but no one is.

Wow, what a refreshing thread.  No demonizing or glorifying!  I've said it in enough other threads - you can look at just about every other NFL coach (except BB, who we know must have sold his soul) and point out their flaws.

Chuck was given a franchise QB, a few decent WRs, a constantly underperforming O line, absolutely no pass rush the last couple years, amongst other deficiencies.  While I'm fairly certain BB could have won with this team, I'm not sure how many other coaches could have.

Not saying he's great, but he's certainly a good coach.  And no one can dispute how much the players love him.

22 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Wow, what a refreshing thread.  No demonizing or glorifying!  I've said it in enough other threads - you can look at just about every other NFL coach (except BB, who we know must have sold his soul) and point out their flaws.

Chuck was given a franchise QB, a few decent WRs, a constantly underperforming O line, absolutely no pass rush the last couple years, amongst other deficiencies.  While I'm fairly certain BB could have won with this team, I'm not sure how many other coaches could have.

Not saying he's great, but he's certainly a good coach.  And no one can dispute how much the players love him.

after hearing comments from Reggie wayne the other day where he gave pointed answers about Grigson, as well as the response from multiple players, I'm starting to warm up on Pagano staying, that said, if a upgrade comes along, I hope we nab him up.

Was Dungy really all that good of a coach if you really think about it? He was brought in to help build a defence which never really happened Peyton was so good at what he does he was able to hide that. I remember always complaining Dungy too conservative remember all the times Peyton waved the punt team back off the field lol