Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MY first mock draft

So I did this on fan speak and I'm pretty pleased with it, what do you think?

15: R1P15

EDGE SOLOMON THOMAS
STANFORD
46: R2P14

LB RAEKWON MCMILLIAN
OHIO STATE
80: R3P16

DL MALIK MCDOWELL
MICHIGAN STATE
120: R4P15

CB CHIDOBE AWUZIE
COLORADO
143: R4P38

CB CHANNING STRIBLING
MICHIGAN
159: R5P14

RB MARLON MACK
SOUTH FLORIDA
201: R6P16

LB HARDY NICKERSON
ILLINOIS

I don't like Solomon Thomas. Just not a good scheme fit. More often than not he's an inside rusher. Never seen him stand up. If we had a great DC that moulded the D around the players he has to hand, I'd be cool with it. But we don't have that luxury. Only 1st round rusher I think he is a good fit for us right now is Takkarist McKinley from UCLA. Or Myles Garrett, but there is a snowball's chance in hell of him reaching us. He's a 4-3 DE in the NFL IMO. 

I'm not a McMillan fan. He is decent against the run and pass but a master of neither. He has no explosion, he doesn't deliver any sort of pop on his hits and tends to just catch ball carriers, which speaks to his lack of explosion in the run game. In the passing game he has good instincts but doesn't have the athleticism to be an elite cover LB. He's a character guy but I think he's overrated. I'd have a 3rd round grade on him unless he seriously shows something at the Combine or his Pro Day.

Malik McDowell is a slamdunk 1st round pick. I have yet to see him mocked outside the top 20. Short of a drugs or domestic violence arrest in the next few months, I have no earthly idea how he would slip out of the 1st, let alone to mid-round 3.

Highly doubt Awuzie is around until mid-round 4 too. We'd be pretty lucky if he's there at our 3rd round pick.

I don't know enough about Stribling, Mack or Nickerson to comment.  

I don't trust those mock draft sites as far as I could throw them normally.

Overall the draft would be good if we had the coaching staff to use the players how they should be used. Sadly we don't.

Yeah, Malik in the third was pretty unrealistic, but hey if they're going to give it to me I'll take that all day long. As far as Thomas goes i think he's going to produce right away in what ever role he's given, and you have to admit we have had great luck with Stanford guys. Even Colby, while not great was very dependable and healthy. I mean you've got to be on the field to matter, and for whatever reason all these Stanford guys we've drafted have been pretty solid.

11 minutes ago, UKColt13 said:

I don't like Solomon Thomas. Just not a good scheme fit. More often than not he's an inside rusher. Never seen him stand up. If we had a great DC that moulded the D around the players he has to hand, I'd be cool with it. But we don't have that luxury. Only 1st round rusher I think he is a good fit for us right now is Takkarist McKinley from UCLA. Or Myles Garrett, but there is a snowball's chance in hell of him reaching us. He's a 4-3 DE in the NFL IMO. 

I'm not a McMillan fan. He is decent against the run and pass but a master of neither. He has no explosion, he doesn't deliver any sort of pop on his hits and tends to just catch ball carriers, which speaks to his lack of explosion in the run game. In the passing game he has good instincts but doesn't have the athleticism to be an elite cover LB. He's a character guy but I think he's overrated. I'd have a 3rd round grade on him unless he seriously shows something at the Combine or his Pro Day.

Malik McDowell is a slamdunk 1st round pick. I have yet to see him mocked outside the top 20. Short of a drugs or domestic violence arrest in the next few months, I have no earthly idea how he would slip out of the 1st, let alone to mid-round 3.

Highly doubt Awuzie is around until mid-round 4 too. We'd be pretty lucky if he's there at our 3rd round pick.

I don't know enough about Stribling, Mack or Nickerson to comment.  

I don't trust those mock draft sites as far as I could throw them normally.

Overall the draft would be good if we had the coaching staff to use the players how they should be used. Sadly we don't.

I agree, aside from Solomon Thomas. He would be fantastic. Many sources say he should reach the combine weighing about 285, which is a pound heavier than some 4-3 DT from the Rams, and 4 pounds lighter than the best pass rusher in the league who plays DE in a 3-4 and is located down in Houston. I'm not just comparing these 3 because of size, though. Thomas has been compared to Donald multiple times because of his lightning-quick release off the snap and compared to Watt because of the inhuman strength he shows. I think he would fit perfectly in our scheme.

McMillan seems to me a bit like every other linebacker we've had the past few seasons: a big run stuffer who is too slow to be trusted in coverage, so I agree there. McDowell is likely going in the first, but I wouldn't take him there for the Colt's because of off-field problems. In the third, though? Definitely. Awuzie will doubtfully fall to the fourth IMO as well. Overall, I like your analysis!