Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I forgot! That was a good movie too. He's played in so many damn Baseball movies I forgot about Draft Day.

I could film a goat taking a dump and it would be better than Draft Day.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, ar7 said:

AJ Smith is who you are thinking of.

Raye worked for the Chargers as a Scout, Director of College Scouting, and Director of Player Personnel. He hasn't been a GM.

You could be correct.  I thought Raye was the one that fired Norv Turner

37 minutes ago, Luck is Good said:

I am very happy that Grigson got fired. But I also do believe that Pagano needs to be gone as well. He's not the worst coach but slow starts, lack of execution and not playing all four quarters are problems in almost every game. That is on the HC and not the GM

Yeah like I said, I'd rather let him go and get a guy like McDaniels. But that didn't happen, and I also think Grigson is problem #1, so I'm a happy colts fan atleast for today. 

As I said before the press conference, Raye is the favorite and the most likely option as our next GM.

Everyone should keep in mind that Grigson is a toxic GM to work for and the argument that Raye was his right hand man so he must be just as bad is faulty. Raye is well respected around the league and has been recognized by the league and its teams as a potential future GM in the past (guess its probably gonna happen now). I think we should wait before we start jumping to conclusions about how bad he is, etc. 

Let the man get the job and make decisions before you write him off. Just because the 49ers didn't want him doesn't mean he is a bad candidate. Teams have preferences and Raye might not have been a fit for them (to be honest, working under Grigson probably doesn't help anyone's job prospects). He is respected by the Colts organization and Irsay and has always had a "future GM" label on him. Give him a chance. 

**On a side note, with Irsay's "Chuck is our coach for 2017" statement, I doubt we will be able to recruit any good GM candidates because most will want to start fresh and hire their own head coach. Raye, under this scenario, seems to be the best bet for a situation where Chuck is guaranteed a 2017 spot as HC. Not saying Chuck should be our HC or deserves another chance, just stating the facts. 

Just now, WoolMagnet said:

Some people are never satisfied

smh

Pagano isn't very good at his job, of course people want him gone. People were not going to be satisfied unless both were fired. People are allowed to not be satisfied, that's okay. You're allowed to be perturbed by that. That's also okay. 

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yeah like I said, I'd rather let him go and get a guy like McDaniels. But that didn't happen, and I also think Grigson is problem #1, so I'm a happy colts fan atleast for today. 

Agreed. Grigson was problem #1 and he was eliminated. 2017 is off to a good start for us!

Just now, masnerj said:

As I said before the press conference, Raye is the favorite and the most likely option as our next GM.

Everyone should keep in mind that Grigson is a toxic GM to work for and the argument that Raye was his right hand man so he must be just as bad is faulty. Raye is well respected around the league and has been recognized by the league and its teams as a potential future GM in the past (guess its probably gonna happen now). I think we should wait before we start jumping to conclusions about how bad he is, etc. 

Let the man get the job and make decisions before you write him off. Just because the 49ers didn't want him doesn't mean he is a bad candidate. Teams have preferences and Raye might not have been a fit for them (to be honest, working under Grigson probably doesn't help anyone's job prospects). He is respected by the Colts organization and Irsay and has always had a "future GM" label on him. Give him a chance. 

Okay, that's fair. People can also be indifferent to hiring a guy who wasn't good enough to secure a job for the tire fire put in SF.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I know I thought I would come in here today and everyone would be happy and all some people can talk about is how bad Chuck is. SMH

Heaven forbid people have opinions that don't mesh with people on a forum. 

2 minutes ago, corgi said:

Okay, that's fair. People can also be indifferent to hiring a guy who wasn't good enough to secure a job for the tire fire put in SF.

Indifferent is perfectly OK. To be honest, I am not sure how he will do either. I think GM is a very hit or miss position and being in the right position and the right time sometimes takes luck. 

(HAHAHA just realized what I said^^)

1 minute ago, corgi said:

Not sure SF passing on Raye is an indictment.   Not the sharpest franchise.

Not to start a rumor but does Peyton come back in play?

or has he been in play all along?  If Jim was talking b4 like was reported, now there is an actual vacancy.

And further, some were saying grigs was the cause of gruden saying no.  Now it isnt the case.  You add in the odd silence of jim and wouldnt it be crazy if gruden AND peyton are announced?

while i dont think this is the case, it looks more likely than b4.

btw, was it announced officiially Pags is staying?  Indidnt hear that, so maybe he's next.

i'm not gonna lose sleep over any of this.  Its actually more exciting than stressful to me. I'm gonna trust in jim.  How wrong are the ones saying how jim had his nose up grigs butt.  Jim does his due diligence. I feel.

6 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Some people are never satisfied

smh

Well, the way I see it, our problem is:

We had a bad GM and a bad HC. 

The bad GM got fired and it looks like we are keeping the bad HC.

So why shake your head? Are you surprised we are all not thrilled with only getting rid of half of the problem?

54 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

When Polian left we interviewed the person who was currently in Rayes position.   I can't remember his name but we hired Grigson and he eventually left to become GM of SD. Just because he said he was going to interview him doesn't mean he is going to hire him.  I like Riddick a lot and now that Pioli has been mentioned he would be a great choice too.  I hope Jim is through with trying out newbies and I hope he hires an experienced GM.  

Tom Telesco

Just now, chad72 said:

These 2 Packer execs seem to be returning. Does that mean Irsay cannot go after them for the Colts GM position?

https://www.google.com/amp/ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/20/shocking-turn-packers-exec-brian-gutekunst-backs-out-of-49ers-gm-search/amp/?client=safari

From what I read, they both signed new deals with GB.

I doubt they would even be available, at this point.

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

So why shake your head? Are you surprised we are all not thrilled with only getting rid of half of the problem?

I smh because i havent seen where chuck was guaranteed back.

how do we know he's not next.

i smh because people think its easy to fire them when they hav contracts.  Theres alot going on, its not like they atent just renewing contracts.

i smh because 1/2 of what people are complaining about happened and instead of them being happy about that, they see only a hal-full glass.

i smh at alot i guess.

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

His first round picks were Eric Berry, Dontari Poe, and Justin Houston...His big mistake was trading for Cassell...I'd take him in a heartbeat...Cassell move was out of desperation, and was a mistake, other than that he is legit..

I would love pioli. Anybody other than somebody we currently have on ou staff that has experience unless it's Peyton honestly. 

2 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I smh because i havent seen where chuck was guaranteed back.

how do we know he's not next.

i smh because people think its easy to fire them when they hav contracts.  Theres alot going on, its not like they atent just renewing contracts.

i smh because 1/2 of what people are complaining about happened and instead of them being happy about that, they see only a hal-full glass.

i smh at alot i guess.

Right. It is very hard to read into what Irsay said...

Irsay was definitely trying to choose his words carefully, and seemed to contradict himself once or twice.

However, he did say, Pagano would be the coach for 2017.

For what ever thats worth?

14 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Not sure SF passing on Raye is an indictment.   Not the sharpest franchise.

I agree but, still gives me an uneasy feeling. I literally know nothing about him other than a few things that Ive read so l, you could be right and it could be just another mistake by SF.

Just now, corgi said:

Yes, because you can't still be happy for one thing while hoping for more?

Well I never said that but it just seems like most people would be extremely happy with Grigson being gone but a lot of people still are talking about Chuck. It is what it is, like you said it is a place to express opinions. I just think the Colts did get rid of the bigger problem for now so I am happy at the moment.

Just now, corgi said:

I agree but, still gives me an uneasy feeling. I literally know nothing about him other than a few things that Ive read so l, you could be right and it could be just another mistake by SF.

Its easy to slap the guilty by association tag on Raye but thankfully, he has more work on his resume to evaluate him than his time with Grigson.

18 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Nice spin by Irsay claiming he wasn't trying to replace Pagano too. 

Scott Fitterer, Seattle co-director of player personnel: Another popular name for open general manager positions, including San Francisco's, because of his role in Seattle’s recent success. Fitterer began his career as a scout with the New York Giants (after a minor league baseball career) and was hired by Seattle as area scout in 2005. He served as the Seahawks’ director of college scouting from 2010-14 and was promoted to his current position in 2015.

7 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Right. It is very hard to read into what Irsay said...

Irsay was definitely trying to choose his words carefully, and seemed to contradict himself once or twice.

However, he did say, Pagano would be the coach for 2017.

For what ever thats worth?

Thank you.  I didnt hear that.

i just found out about grigs about an hour ago.

was it a press conference?  Tweet?  Is there a recording?

i'm feverishly searching for infothe last 30 mins. haha 

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Well I never said that but it just seems like most people would be extremely happy with Grigson being gone but a lot of people still are talking about Chuck. It is what it is, like you said it is a place to express opinions. I just think the Colts did get rid of the bigger problem for now so I am happy at the moment.

Personally I wants both gone, I am still happy about Grigson. I think Grigson was 60-75% of the problem.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Its easy to slap the guilty by association tag on Raye but thankfully, he has more work on his resume to evaluate him than his time with Grigson.

It may be hindsight at this point but it seems like Grigson wasn't very popular before he came to Indy. Raye at least seems to have support. That's something.

I personally don't want Raye. Grigson mentioned a lot of times that the brains of the whole scouting team was Raye. I also read an article like 2 weeks back where Raye said some how players he was most proud of where Zach Kerr, David Perry, and another name I can't think of. I think he signed off on a lot of these below average players that Grigson brought in.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

When Polian left we interviewed the person who was currently in Rayes position.   I can't remember his name but we hired Grigson and he eventually left to become GM of SD. Just because he said he was going to interview him doesn't mean he is going to hire him.  I like Riddick a lot and now that Pioli has been mentioned he would be a great choice too.  I hope Jim is through with trying out newbies and I hope he hires an experienced GM.  

That 'guy' was Tom Telesco. He came to the Colts in 1998 as an area scout when Manning was a rookie.  As the years passed, Telesco became a pro scout, then Director of Pro Scouting.  Finally promoted to Director of Player Personnel. When Irsay cleaned house, Telesco went to San Diego as their GM, and it still the GM of the Los Angeles Chargers.

Jimmy Raye III is the Colts Vice President of Football Operations.

Colts job one of the most enticing GM spots in NFL - USA Today

...The young personnel guys on everyone's radar — among others, New England's Nick Caserio, Green Bay's Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst, Seattle's Trent Kirchner and Minnesota's George Paton, who is set for a second interview next week with the 49ers for the NFL's only other GM opening — figure to be in play. Same with the more seasoned likes of Atlanta's Scott Pioli.

Who wouldn't jump at the chance to put a team around a 27-year-old quarterback who profiled out of college like a Hall of Famer and is already locked up through 2021, especially when the bar has been set so low?

The possibility Irsay will talk Peyton Manning into taking over football operations always looms, but that can be addressed contractually and is a relatively small risk to run. If Pagano doesn't produce, the GM figures to get his own coach in 2018 (which is intriguing when envisioning, say, a Caserio-Josh McDaniels match in the offing.)...