Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GM Candidates, including Jimmy Raye (merge)

ColtsStrong86

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Another assistant as a first time HC?  No thanks.  And he's not even a coordinator?  I actually find this report hard to believe.  

He's a coordinator. Special Teams. For quite some time, and very successful.

It's not an 'out of the question' move, but I don't see it as a great one for the Colts to make at this time.

The only issue with him, having never interviewed him, would be that he's never been a HC, so it'd be like hiring Pagano again (learning curve).

3 hours ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

It could be a fake account,if it is it came from this Brad Wells account so is that fake also?  

Not much on twitter but the one I posted came from the one above. Sorry if it's Fake I just ran across it looking through the account above and thought I would share.

No what I posted came from the real account...they came out prior to the fake one...I have since blocked the fake one so I can see his tweets anymore and I can still see real Brads account....that * fake account was weird, exact handle, didn't know that's possible.

anywho, those came from the real Brad Wells, whatever it's worth

Just now, gnet550 said:

No what I posted came from the real account...they came out prior to the fake one...I have since blocked the fake one so I can see his tweets anymore and I can still see real Brads account....that * fake account was weird, exact handle, didn't know that's possible.

anywho, those came from the real Brad Wells, whatever it's worth

BradwellsNFL

BradweIlsNFL

See the difference in the L's?

We really don't have great info at this time but if I'm using logic and what little I do know is this Paton in my opinion will not be the guy simply because we allowed him to interview with San Francisco again and you would not do that if he is your guy second from More than one media source all saying the same Ballard is the clear front runner you have to believe there validity there however if he wants Chuck gone that May be a deal breaker in Irsays mind I still think Irsay likes Wolf as well 

1 minute ago, Zach Boyd said:

We really don't have great info at this time but if I'm using logic and what little I do know is this Paton in my opinion will not be the guy simply because we allowed him to interview with San Francisco again and you would not do that if he is your guy second from More than one media source all saying the same Ballard is the clear front runner you have to believe there validity there however if he wants Chuck gone that May be a deal breaker in Irsays mind I still think Irsay likes Wolf as well 

That certainly would not be a deal breaker. 

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

No the back to back 8-8 seasons set the bar low, not me :)

And I never said he would be better either --:)

So then what are you saying because Toub ain't instilling any confidence that the 8-8 days would be over either. 

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yeah Dave Toub for head coach!!!!  GTFOH.   Ballard would created instant doubt coming in with a head coach hire like that. 

Here is a list of Special Teams Coordinators who became Head Coaches in the NFL... not that it will change anyone's mind...

Marv Levy, Dick Vermeil, Mike Ditka, Bill Cowher, Bill Belichick and John Harbaugh.

For what it's worth, Toub has been mentioned and interviewed for multiple HC jobs and is said to be a very hard nosed guy who demands respect and accountability...two things our current staff sorely lacks!

3 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Here is a list of Special Teams Coordinators who became Head Coaches in the NFL... not that it will change anyone's mind...

Marv Levy, Dick Vermeil, Mike Ditka, Bill Cowher, Bill Belichick and John Harbaugh.

For what it's worth, Toub has been mentioned and interviewed for multiple HC jobs and is said to be a very hard nosed guy who demands respect and accountability...two things our current staff sorely lacks!

It's funny you guys want change so bad you'll accept even the Janitor as the coach over Pagano.   Next you'll be talking about Tom Cable.   If the guy Hollers at you and screams that's what makes him a great coach.   So many of you are selling that stuff.   Yeah I'll buy that.

Just now, krunk said:

It's funny you guys want change so bad you'll accept even the Janitor as the coach over Pagano. 

Maybe you're trolling, maybe you love Pagano, maybe you failed to read the names of the Special Teams to Head Coach guys listed...because they're not janitors, they're all Super Bowl coaches from the NFL, and they're not clapping and chopping wood while their teams lost in impressive fashion week after week.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

It's funny you guys want change so bad you'll accept even the Janitor as the coach over Pagano.   Next you'll be talking about Tom Cable. 

As long as the janitors name isn't Chuck Pagano or Ryan Grigson or any combination of those names I think he's worth a shot....

haha

Just now, coltsblue1844 said:

Maybe you're trolling, maybe you love Pagano, maybe you failed to read the names of the Special Teams to Head Coach guys listed...because they're not janitors, they're all Super Bowl coaches from the NFL, and they're not clapping and chopping wood while their teams lost in impressive fashion week after week.

Yeah maybe I'm trolling.  I've only been posting on this site for years.     Sure

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Yeah maybe I'm trolling.  I've only been posting on this site for years.     Sure

Posting on this site for years doesn't mean you are the smartest person here... because if you would take Pagano over Levy, Vermeil, Ditka, Belichick, Cowher, Harbaugh etc, you're nuts

Yeah you're really schooling me now buddy.   

I'm not attempting to "school" anyone... but your reply that the idea of a Special Teams guy being a good HC as crazy is just wrong, as I've listed multiple ST guys that have gone on to become Super Bowl HC... Pagano was a position coach with Baltimore and was practically gifted a top D for a year before we made him HC...a job that he's failed miserably at, over his tenure.

2 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Posting on this site for years doesn't mean you are the smartest person here... because if you would take Pagano over Levy, Vermeil, Ditka, Belichick, Cowher, Harbaugh etc, you're nuts

That list is good. The only problem with it is that it's not balanced by any ST to HC examples of failures.

Perhaps there are none, but the concern is.......Pagano had no HC experience prior to taking the job, and Toub has no experience at it either. Toub is simply an unknown. Irsay would have the benefit of interviewing him, but we wouldn't, so caution would be very high for us.

After 5 years I think Pagano is an average coach. He still has a lot to learn, and he may learn it, but it's been 5 years. Toub is a clean slate. We have no idea how long it may take him to adjust to the HC role, if at all.

People just feel more comfy with a known. Even if that person has failed in the past (depending on how badly, and the circumstances), there's a base to build from.

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I don't want Toub but how do you have any clue how good or bad he would be? 

Why don't you want him?  

No one knows how anyone will be before they get hired,  but I think to me I'd have no problem with sticking with my 49-31 head coach whose won plenty of games before I part with that for the freaking Special Teams coach of another squad simply because he is supposedly "Hard Nosed" and Hollers alot.   If you told me he was being replaced by Kyle Shanahan I'd be okay with that for the most part. Hell I'd even partially be okay with Mcdaniels or one of the other names.  You can list me Bill Bellichick and all that other stuff but at the end of the day we know that is the minority.  It's probably more likely to be the other end of the spectrum.  I just think there could be a better option than that.  But of course I don't make these calls so I can't do anything but accept whatever the outcome is. 

6 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I'm very aware of that... but i'm also of the opinion that anyone who feels like Pagano is a legit NFL Head Coach is seeing something that the rest of the world isn't seeing!

He's never had a losing season as a Head Coach with talent that was so bad his GM just got fired.  He's done something right.  I've been harsh on Pagano and still feel like he needs to go but even I will admit he's a legit coach.  Do I think he will ever be anything more than an average coach?  No but you could do far worse than him.

3 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I'm not attempting to "school" anyone... but your reply that the idea of a Special Teams guy being a good HC as crazy is just wrong, as I've listed multiple ST guys that have gone on to become Super Bowl HC... Pagano was a position coach with Baltimore and was practically gifted a top D for a year before we made him HC...a job that he's failed miserably at, over his tenure.

Yeah a winning record is failing miserably.   Again your lust for change allows you to take credit away from a guy whose won a whole bunch of games for this team.  Tell me you don't like the guy for whatever reason and I'm down with that.   Calling the guy a miserable failure is truly a lack of knowledge.   I'm wondering if you're trolling now?

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why don't you want him?  

No one knows how anyone will be before they get hired,  but I think to me I'd have no problem with sticking with my 49-31 head coach whose won plenty of games before I part with that for the freaking Special Teams coach of another squad simply because he is supposedly "Hard Nosed" and Hollers alot.   If you told me he was being replaced by Kyle Shanahan I'd be okay with that for the most part. Hell I'd even partially be okay with Mcdaniels or one of the other names.  You can list me Bill Bellichick and all that other stuff but at the end of the day we know that is the minority.  It's probably more likely to be the other end of the spectrum.  I just think there could be a better option than that.  But of course I don't make these calls so I can't do anything but accept whatever the outcome is. 

I don't want him cause I personally want an offensive minded coach I really want Kyle Shanahan  but he's going to stupid SF I'd also take McDaniels.

Why don't you want him?  

He is definitely an unknown until he gets a shot somewhere, that I agree with.  And i'm not saying that someone who "hollers" a lot would make them a good coach... but I do think Pagano is an awful coach, and his record is inflated by the season that BA coached while he was out battling illness... that said, I don't/didn't want BA as HC, either... I don't like his offense, didn't like Pep's offense and I don't like Chud's offense...perhaps that's on them, perhaps they're calling the game like Pagano wants them to?

I would like to see a more West Coast style passing game, with Luck getting that ball out quickly...our o-line, while not top notch, would be greatly masked by a quicker attach, as so many others in the NFL (and in Colts' history) have been.

What I do know, is that I cant stand all of the pats on the butt, hand clapping and chopping wood, while we are wasting years from Luck's career, with a team that lacks talent, toughness and even fundamentals at so many levels.  Those things fall at the feet of the GM and the HC...we are looking to hire the GM to take us to the level we want to achieve, but in doing so, will we trust his judgment on a HC  hire?  If not, then he shouldn't be the GM...that's just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I just don't think Ballard would bring Toub over if he didn't think he'd do a great job. I don't really believe this Toub stuff though.. having Pagano for a year shouldn't scare away a candidate.. he's not a terrible coach. 

He's a bottom 5 coach in the league.