Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sport Science: Andrew Luck

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure he's not on Peyton's level yet as a reader of defenses but as long as his work ethic is there, he will one day arrive there. The vid said he can throw the ball over 70 yards in the air. They also showed a play where he had a defender on him at his feet, and he made a 50 yard throw without stepping into it. That is a throw very few guys can make. I don't care if Favre could hurt his guys' hands with his passes. That just goes to show he didn't understand touch. You don't have to rifle it in there all the time. Luck can make all the throws, and with good coaching and a lot of film study, he will one day be on the most elite level of NFL quarterbacks.

BTW this is coming from a guy who a couple months ago was very much against drafting him because of my love for Peyton Manning. I wasn't ready to move on but now I am, and I can look at the situation objectively. Luck will be a stud, not Matt Ryan.

Matt Ryan is a stud IMO. Perhaps not "elite status" yet, but I think with a few key playoff wins or a SB in the future he could get there. If Luck were at least as good as Matt Ryan I'd be very satisfied, but of course, better would be nice. xD

I gotta say that video just made me want luck on the colts even more now. that 50 yard pass while falling was crazy. he had a better completion percentage then manning did when he was in college, he ran for a better average then Tebow did in college. so what this video is saying is we got a Tebow/Manning/Rodgers in one qb. and why are people so against drafting this kid? hes smart, has the vision, the arm strength, the speed, the ability to get away from a sack situation, and he releases the ball very quick. This kid will be very special in the NFL and could break some records and maybe even win a couple superbowls especially if the colts new HC can put a better defense on the field. thanks for the video

• 2 weeks later...

Peyton developed into one of the best QBs in NFL history but in college he was a prospect just like Luck. Peyton had a great QB coach and OC that developed him and let him use all his talents. Luck will have the same type coaches developing him. Peyton competed with Leaf for being selected No.1. Luck is competing with RGIII but Luck is the best QB prospect for the way the Colts want to play. Luck is an outstanding prospect and maybe the best prospect since Peyton or maybe Elway. He has been partially developed Harbaugh who was a good QB for the Colts. Not only does Luck have outstanding athletic ability but he has the intangibles necessary to be a winner. He does read defenses and he has a will to win. If he is our pick and he gets the starting nod as the QB for 2012 then our fan base should support him.

Mobility

RG3 > Luck - In a lot of cases Luck would win this but not against RG3.

Arm Strength- Once again Luck has a good arm but RG3 has an absolute cannon.

RG3 > Luck

Accuracy- Both are really accurate but RG3 has shown pin-point accuracy on the deep bombs which Luck didn't have to throw so i won't knock him on that.

RG3 = Luck

Quick release- RG3 was consitantly under more pressure then Luck all year do to his horrible O-line and seemed to get ball out fast but luck will still take this one.

RG3 < Luck

Smarts- both are extremely smart and have great character.

RG3 = Luck

To me this is a very close race if you have other categories to add please do. I never said RG3 was a lot better then Luck i just think he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the all mighty Luck.

RG3 looks like a beast but how long has RG3 been a QB? Someone mentioned he was a WR in another thread, if true, Luck has more experience and would have better QB instincts.

Also while RG3 is a pocket passer, he ran about 150 times last year while Luck ran just under 50 times. Luck is nearly as mobile as Griffin, so why didnt Luck run more. That will make some people alittle bit uneasy, as we've seen with Vick, running QBs get hurt.

You brought up accuracy, I've heard he's alittle more accurate on the deep ball than Luck but WRs often chase down deep balls so that could be debatable. Both are very accurate though.

Good post.