Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Receiver drop percentage by team

lollygagger8

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2016/

While I'll admit I thought that they'd lead the league, the Colts rank 7th in drops.  

Obviously this needs addressed (among many other things) but maybe the receivers needs to sleep with footballs in their arms like TY did his rookie year or something. 

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

He just locks in on number 1 option still...He did the SAME thing with Reggie Wayne his first couple years. ..

Well when Moncrief is always injured, Allen sucks and you really only can rely on Doyle/Hilton....

1 minute ago, colt18 said:

Well when Moncrief is always injured, Allen sucks and you really only can rely on Doyle/Hilton....

Allen doesn't suck...He dropped a few balls, but he made some nice catches too, and he is our best blocker at tight end...Again, he didn't get a lot of opportunities. ..

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Allen doesn't suck...He dropped a few balls, but he made some nice catches too, and he is our best blocker at tight end...Again, he didn't get a lot of opportunities. ..

Allen does suck. He's either injured or ineffective, he's also been outplayed and outproduced by Jack Doyle. He's not even that good of a blocker, either

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

He didn't throw to moncrief when he was healthy unless it was the red zone (which moncrief is typically his first read by design). Also Dorsett was open a lot and just ignored. Everyone rags on him but he was right behind Hilton in catch percentage.  he's not perfect obviously but it seems like he should be given more of a chance. Unless there is some huge problem in practice that we don't see, but if that's the case he shouldn't be on the field. 

Just now, colt18 said:

Allen does suck. He's either injured or ineffective, he's also been outplayed and outproduced by Jack Doyle. He's not even that good of a blocker, either

Oh I didnt realize he is supposed to block Clowney 1 on 1 im sure most tight ends would have fared about the same in that situation..That is a COACHING problem and a problem with Andrew Luck not having the awareness to recognize it...

3 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

He didn't throw to moncrief when he was healthy unless it was the red zone (which moncrief is typically his first read by design). Also Dorsett was open a lot and just ignored. Everyone rags on him but he was right behind Hilton in catch percentage.  he's not perfect obviously but it seems like he should be given more of a chance. Unless there is some huge problem in practice that we don't see, but if that's the case he shouldn't be on the field. 

Moncrief only played 9 games, still caught 7 TDs. I definitely wouldn't say Luck doesn't throw to Moncrief, that's just not true. Dorsett also dropped a lot of balls, it's obvious why he doesn't get many chances...

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Oh I didnt realize he is supposed to block Clowney 1 on 1 im sure most tight ends would have fared about the same in that situation..That is a COACHING problem and a problem with Andrew Luck not having the awareness to recognize it...

I'm confused. I'm not sure how it's a coaching problem that we put our best blocking TE on Clowney and somehow it's everyone else's fault that our best blocking TE can't actually block.

Just now, colt18 said:

Moncrief only played 9 games, still caught 7 TDs. I definitely wouldn't say Luck doesn't throw to Moncrief, that's just not true. Dorsett also dropped a lot of balls, it's obvious why he doesn't get many chances...

He dropped a lot of balls in that ONE game which was terrible..Percentage wise he is very close to Hilton...If he got the same amount of targets he would have around 90 receptions based on percentages. ..

Just now, colt18 said:

I'm confused. I'm not sure how it's a problem that we put our best blocking TE on Clowney and somehow it's everyone else's fault that our best blocking TE can't actually block.

No tight end is gonna block Clowney 1 on 1, many left tackles struggle blocking him 1 on 1...

3 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Yah as I said.... Luck didn't throw to moncrief outside the end zone. Sure he got Tds but he barely saw the ball anywhere else but the goal line. And like I said he was most likely designed as the first read on those plays due to him being our big red zone WR. 

And If Dorsett is bad for how many drops he had I guess Hilton is garbage too then? His catch percentage is only marginally higher then Dorsett. 58.7% for Hilton and 55.9% for Dorsett.  

2 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I'm confused. I'm not sure how it's a coaching problem that we put our best blocking TE on Clowney and somehow it's everyone else's fault that our best blocking TE can't actually block.

A player that demands double Teams from o lineman should never be one on one with a TE. That's a dumb coaching move. No TE in the league could have been faulted for not making that play. 

5 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Yah as I said.... Luck didn't throw to moncrief outside the end zone. Sure he got Tds but he barely saw the ball anywhere else but the goal line. And like I said he was most likely designed as the first read on those plays due to him being our big red zone WR. 

And If Dorsett is bad for how many drops he had I guess Hilton is garbage too then? His catch percentage is only marginally higher then Dorsett. 58.7% for Hilton and 55.9% for Dorsett.  

I suppose.

Dorsett is not only bad for his drops, he doesn't get consistent separation and isn't always open....even when he is he can't be relied on to make plays. Hilton on the other hand, makes plays even when he isn't open.

Just now, colt18 said:

I suppose.

Dorsett is not only bad for his drops, he doesn't get consistent separation and isn't always open....even when he is he can't be relied on to make plays. Hilton on the other hand, makes plays even when he isn't open.

No he isn't always open, but he's open more often then you would expect given his numbers. One of the mods did a very good breakdown on it a few weeks back actually.

I think given the chance he COULD make plays, but he just isn't getting that chance. There are a lot of factors going into Dorsett's lack of production and unfortunately a lot of them aren't really his fault. 

And yah Hilton is obviously a better receiver, but he has the tendency to disappear every few games, so the team needs to learn to spread the ball around a bit more. Whether it's luck not making proper progressions or coaches not scheming properly, something needs to change or we will continue with these up and down games for our offense. 

5 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I suppose.

Dorsett was open ALL the time..Luck didn't see him he was to focused on throwing to Hilton in double coverage..

Lol great comments in this thread...Hilton dropped a lot of balls and disappeared a couple of times but overall was the Most consistent playmaker on the offense so he evens out...dorsett also does get open ALOT just isn't thrown the ball but when he is given a chance he's seemed to drop the ball (practice/scheming and luck throwing him the ball will build his confidence)....now Allen I believe he's just not that "complete tightend" he was becoming when he was drafted those injuries have taken a toll..yes he the best blocking tight end but his blocking skills have fallen off from what they were anddd yes he can make some contested catches but he gets a great amount of wide open catches that he drops in crucial moments..say what you want about him being the best but Doyle is our best tight end and proved it even with a lesser blocking ability

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

allen SUCKS period.  and blocking? he misses blocks more than a stormtrooper misses in star wars

Just now, csmopar said:

allen SUCKS period.  and blocking? he misses blocks more than a stormtrooper misses in star wars

Allen doesn't suck at all..He made his share of plays...We are better with him than without him trust me...Everyone who drops a few balls qualifies as sucking on this forum..

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Allen doesn't suck at all..He made his share of plays...We are better with him than without him trust me...Everyone who drops a few balls qualifies as sucking on this forum..

We've won more games without him than with him..... 

Just now, csmopar said:

We've won more games without him than with him..... 

Do you understand he is used as a 6th lineman a good percentage of the time? He doesn't get a lot of targets for this reason. .Doyel and Swoope are used more as receivers because they aren't the greatest blockers...There is a reason Allen is#1 on the depth chart and signed that contract..

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Do you understand he is used as a 6th lineman a good percentage of the time? He doesn't get a lot of targets for this reason. .Doyel and Swoope are used more as receivers because they aren't the greatest blockers...There is a reason Allen is#1 on the depth chart and signed that contract..

yeah..... and our coaches and gm have a great history of big signings being worth it. :sarcasm:

Just now, csmopar said:

yeah..... and our coaches and gm have a great history of big signings being worth it. :sarcasm:

You can say that about every team in certain situations...We are not the ONLY team that has missed on draft picks and free agent signings. .It is more common to miss then hit, go back and look at other teams drafts and signings..Allen got paid what the market dictated for his skill set..If didn't pay him someone else would..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

You can say that about every team in certain situations...We are not the ONLY team that has missed on draft picks and free agent signings. .It is more common to miss then hit, go back and look at other teams drafts and signings..Allen got paid what the market dictated for his skill set..If didn't pay him someone else would..

then they should have let him walk... he is not worth even average TE money, he had one decent year, the rest hes' injured half the time and has one good game a season.....

6 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He's open, a lot. I don't know who started the narrative that he "struggles to get separation," but it honestly couldn't be further from the truth.

I agree. From what I can tell, I feel issues may be:

1. he goes full speed from get go, rather than 80% off the line, do the moves to get off cb, then blow by 100% like TY does.

2. Many many times this year and last, he just seems run a wrong route and also doesn't fight back to the ball as much as TY does.

3. Andrew seems to under-throw him almost 70% of the time, it's almost like he hasn't gotten used to dorsett's speed yet, which is not something I anticipated this season.

1 minute ago, myic90 said:

I agree. From what I can tell, I feel issues may be:

1. he goes full speed from get go, rather than 80% off the line, do the moves to get off cb, then blow by 100% like TY does.

2. Many many times this year and last, he just seems run a wrong route and also doesn't fight back to the ball as much as TY does.

3. Andrew seems to under-throw him almost 70% of the time, it's almost like he hasn't gotten used to dorsett's speed yet, which is not something I anticipated this season.

I'd definitely agree with those points, specifically 1 & 3. 2 is a little tough because unless it's blatantly obvious (noticeable confusion between him & Luck), it's kind of difficult to know if he runs a wrong route or not.

9 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2016/

While I'll admit I thought that they'd lead the league, the Colts rank 7th in drops.  

Obviously this needs addressed (among many other things) but maybe the receivers needs to sleep with footballs in their arms like TY did his rookie year or something. 

who defines what a drop is in these stats?

What is the definition of a drop