Jon Gruden turns down Colts job despite interest from Irsay

CF4L

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

5 years....hasnt had a losing season....team plays hard for him..no matter what

no they don't.  plenty of times this team "shows up" for lack of a better term, and dang near literally sleepwalks through at least a half of football.  If you haven't seen some incredibly unprepared, passionless football the last few years, you weren't watching all the Colt's games.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What a great reliable source

I don't see anything on that Twitter account that has turned out to be false. It's possible that they have embellished some of the details, but most of the things they and Brad Wells have tweeted were just confirmed today by "reliable sources". 

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I don't see anything on that Twitter account that has turned out to be false. It's possible that they have embellished some of the details, but most of the things they and Brad Wells have tweeted were just confirmed today by "reliable sources". 

No they weren't.   Jmv reported these things long before these two did

22 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

To some extent, both of them implied that Gruden would be here. LKED also tweeted Chuck would definitely be out. Hard to take an unverified account with few followers that no one seems to have heard of before this week too seriously.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It never happened.  The media is just trying to cover itself.  No new coach on the way, so they have to pretend somebody was offered the job and turned it down in order to protect all of their previous bogus reports.

Except the national guys reported Pagano was safe. Why would they need to cover themselves lol?

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It never happened.  The media is just trying to cover itself.  No new coach on the way, so they have to pretend somebody was offered the job and turned it down in order to protect all of their previous bogus reports.

Maybe Gruden isn't even real and Irsay is a ghost. 

11 hours ago, colts_mp said:

There's a lot more to speculate about in this saga.  

Seems like Chuck must go now that this has leaked out but if I'm Chuck maybe I just coach until they fire me, whenever that is.  He's a cancer survivor so when he's done here he can spend time with his family and friends and be financially secure .  Not a bad retirement . 

Chuck won't quit, and Jim won't fire until someone  >= Pagano is secured in becoming HC of the Colts.  Timeing, is anybodies guess.

If he is fired what happens to Grigson?  Does he have any input on the coach or will he now be stuck with the coach Irsay gets?  

Also, what about the waiting for Peyton Manning to be ready for the GM position, presumably sometime in the next year or two ?  What coach would want to come here knowing the GM spot is not secure ?  Isn't it standard for a new GM to hire his own coaches?

Sometimes a HC is hired with the knowledge of keeping current staff (GM, scouts, assistant coaches) But at other times, the prospective HC won't agree unless they get some itemsfrom off their own list.  This could include (but is not limited to) bringing in their own assistants, decide on GM to partner with, scouting staff members, etc. Deals fall through when owner/ / HC can't agree on these items.

Just some food for thought.  Hope others here have some more insight .

Sorry, not that much from me.  Maybe some others might have more...

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

JMV is saying Irsay is done looking.

so he doesn't have to adhere to the Rooney Rule unless he actually hires someone, correct?  Seems like he'd go after some quality coaches who have been active coaches in this decade.  If he's done, he's done... doesn't make it any less awkward but thanks for sharing JMV's take, he is usually well informed on these matters via his sources.

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

They play so hard for him that they miss the playoffs two years in a row.

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Let me get this right....grigson has assembled one of the worst rosters in the league. Pagano is one of the worst coaches in the league...if not the absolute worst.  And the below average players that grigson assembled the roster with don't play hard for pagano.

The team has only had the success it has because of Luck.  He's been winning despite the poor roster and poor coaching.  Do I have all this right?

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

I hope you're kidding with this stuff.....

You're much, much smarter than this.

This is not the way this world works......

Just now, AZColt11 said:

Whatever is or isn't happening right now this sucks because we are stuck with the same guys in control and what is the definition of insanity?

I'm starting to think it's  staying tuned to the forum 24/7 watching and waiting for the next breaking  may or may not be a rumor  story.     I know it's making me :nutz: 

2 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I'm starting to think it's  staying tuned to the forum 24/7 watching and waiting for the next breaking  may or may not be a rumor  story.     I know it's making me :nutz: 

I would tend to agree with you.  And with that I'm dropping the mic and...........

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I hope you're kidding with this stuff.....

You're much, much smarter than this.

This is not the way this world works......

Its exactly the way it works.  Its mostly fake...at least the important parts.

Media saw Irsay's plane in Houston.  That's a fact.  Nothing else was.

Irsay had dinner with Manning.  That's a fact.  Nothing else was. 

17 hours ago, Jason_S said:

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Let me get this right....grigson has assembled one of the worst rosters in the league. Pagano is one of the worst coaches in the league...if not the absolute worst.  And the below average players that grigson assembled the roster with don't play hard for pagano.

The team has only had the success it has because of Luck.  He's been winning despite the poor roster and poor coaching.  Do I have all this right?

Roster isn't that bad..We need an edge rusher, ilb, rb to truly contend with a legitimate coach...We have a top 5 offense talent wise..Green Bay is in NFC championship with a worse defense and no running back, and without their #1 wr...We just need a COACH and to get some pieces on defense in draft and fa..We aren't far away, coaching has really held us back..

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Its exactly the way it works.  Its mostly fake...at least the important parts.

Media saw Irsay's plane in Houston.  That's a fact.  Nothing else was.

Irsay had dinner with Manning.  That's a fact.  Nothing else was. 

Doug.....   Let me stop you in your tracks.

Go the thread about Irsay's plane spotted in Houston.

That story came from private citizens.     Could've been you and me.     No media involved.

Odds are someone who works at the airport where Irsay landed is a football fan....   he contacted his Colts friend and away it went.       If either of the two guys who were tweeting about it are media,  then I'm wrong and surprised.      But I looked at the person info and there was nothing that said "media" about either guy.

I didn't spend 30 years in the media for nothing.     I really do have a pretty good idea how it works....