Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's Relationship with Indy Media


Recommended Posts

Mike Wells phoned into JMV today and sounded more than a little frustrated with the current situation with the Colts is being handled. Last year it was practically a consensus that Pagano was going to get fired before he was brought back, and at the news conference, Irsay (and Pagano might have also) seemed to suggest that a lot of local media were the reason for the perceived rift between Grigson and Pagano. Wells' point today was that if it turns out that the "status quo" is still here next year, that the media will be blamed again for any kind of rumors created during the "suspicious silence" from Irsay. Given the weird way that national reporters seemingly have sources that the local guys are unwilling to back up and how all over the map everything is, could this end up damaging the relationship with local media? Granted I don't know if Irsay really cares all that much if every columnist likes him but it still can't be good image-wise to have this much varied press.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heh, if Irsay feels anything like me, he would do this kinda stuff for fun.  They go out of their way to stoke the fires and they become the victim of their own group thought.  Fitting really when guys like Wells gets frustrated because they report ad nauseum on something that shouldve never had winhs to begin with, or at least without anything more than speculation. The media would be sport to me if I were Irsay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the media hates us in general, they blame us for DeflateGate which is beyond stupid. We weren't the team that cheated. If you notice since Deflategate the way our games are refereed are bad for the most part (get a big play, it's called back/Interference when there is none, I can go on and on) and we are 16-16 overall missing the Playoffs twice. Most on the NFL Network and most on ESPN bash us and picked us to go 6-10 this season as well. The team that is known for cheating = Pats - most of the media loves them, the team that is a small market and has always done things the right way and we won our SB fair and square without Ref help and cheating scandals - most of the media bashes on. Makes sense, rolls eyes!

 

- I put most in bold because not all of the media is included but about 90% of them are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VocableLoki said:

Mike Wells phoned into JMV today and sounded more than a little frustrated with the current situation with the Colts is being handled. Last year it was practically a consensus that Pagano was going to get fired before he was brought back, and at the news conference, Irsay (and Pagano might have also) seemed to suggest that a lot of local media were the reason for the perceived rift between Grigson and Pagano. Wells' point today was that if it turns out that the "status quo" is still here next year, that the media will be blamed again for any kind of rumors created during the "suspicious silence" from Irsay. Given the weird way that national reporters seemingly have sources that the local guys are unwilling to back up and how all over the map everything is, could this end up damaging the relationship with local media? Granted I don't know if Irsay really cares all that much if every columnist likes him but it still can't be good image-wise to have this much varied press.

So Wells is complaining that after they speculate about things rather than report them when they happen, the media will be blamed for speculating.

 

And we aren't supposed to notice that they're speculating, and just take their word for it, even when they're wrong.

 

Wow, these guys are really full of themselves.

 

You know, they're really not that important.  And they are trying to prove it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most of the media hates us in general, they blame us for DeflateGate which is beyond stupid. We weren't the team that cheated. If you notice since Deflategate the way our games are refereed are bad for the most part (get a big play, it's called back/Interference when there is none, I can go on and on) and we are 16-16 overall missing the Playoffs twice. Most on the NFL Network and most on ESPN bash us and picked us to go 6-10 this season as well. The team that is known for cheating = Pats - most of the media loves them, the team that is a small market and has always done things the right way and we won our SB fair and square without Ref help and cheating scandals - most of the media bashes on. Makes sense, rolls eyes!

 

- I put most in bold because not all of the media is included but about 90% of them are.

Your handle kinda tells all...... biased much?  lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

eh, I worked with family members of coaches on that team , had some very privileged and great days 2004-2007   but even I keep an open mind, we aren't the center of a conspiracy theory.... we just cheer for a status quo, non-sensational blue color team, in a fly over state.  It's not bad at all, but it is what  it is, don't get it twisted

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

eh, I worked with family members of coaches on that team , had some very privileged and great days 2004-2007   but even I keep an open mind, we aren't the center of a conspiracy theory.... we just cheer for a status quo, non-sensational blue color team, in a fly over state.  It's not bad at all, but it is what  it is, don't get it twisted

In general the media does dis us for the most part was my point, so it is what it is. They even did it when we had Peyton, most of the media was always in love with the Pats and Steelers in those days. No bigge, as a fan I am used too it. Regarding our 2006 team it may not be the BestEver but I would put them up against any other SB winning team and take my chances. With the way our Defense played in those Playoffs with Bob, Mathis, and Freeney + with Peyton/Marvin/Reggie on Offense, yes in deed I would. We were 10-0 at home that season as well. If we played any other SB Champion in history in Indy I would take us without hesitation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

To be fair to Irsay, the Indy sports media is god awful. I'm starting to really dislike Stephen Holder.

It feels like to me that the "new guard" at the Star and guys like Wells and Broner are cheering for the Colts to fail because it's a better story for them.  I can see why the Colts might not like them much.  Guys like Chap, Kravitz (for the most part) and Phil B. still seem like they are neutral when it comes to the Colts so I mostly listen to them when it comes to "print guys".

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It feels like to me that the "new guard" at the Star and guys like Wells and Broner are cheering for the Colts to fail because it's a better story for them.  I can see why the Colts might not like them much.  Guys like Chap, Kravitz (for the most part) and Phil B. still seem like they are neutral when it comes to the Colts so I mostly listen to them when it comes to "print guys".

I get this out of Doyle and Dakich the most locally. They are both impressively critical all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

if pagano is here next season, I am officially done listening to any reports of any kind from anybody not including irsay. Ever. 

 

Great!

 

You'll be the last to know.      That's always an interesting position for a fan to take.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jdubu said:

If we keep travelling down this same slope of Irsay and the media, we are more likely to see the reincarnation of the old Bob Irsay and his way of handling things. That scares the crap out of me.

 

Come on now.....   there's nothing to connect those dots with.     Irsay has quietly been trying to fix what he thinks is not working.     He's not going to fire Pagano until he can find someone who he is confident will be better.

 

He doesn't want to fire Pagano and hire someone who turns out to be worse.

 

Thinking that he's going to turn into his father who was pretty close to crazy is just frustration talking from you.

 

You know there's no truth to it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most of the media hates us in general, they blame us for DeflateGate which is beyond stupid. We weren't the team that cheated. If you notice since Deflategate the way our games are refereed are bad for the most part (get a big play, it's called back/Interference when there is none, I can go on and on) and we are 16-16 overall missing the Playoffs twice. Most on the NFL Network and most on ESPN bash us and picked us to go 6-10 this season as well. The team that is known for cheating = Pats - most of the media loves them, the team that is a small market and has always done things the right way and we won our SB fair and square without Ref help and cheating scandals - most of the media bashes on. Makes sense, rolls eyes!

 

- I put most in bold because not all of the media is included but about 90% of them are.

 

Here we go again......    it's time once again for the annual "The Media hates us!    They're mean to us!    They love the Patriots!"

 

First,  the spread started talking about LOCAL Media.    You know,  in Indy?     But that wasn't enough, so you took it to the next level,  the national media!

 

By the way,  the media predicted a poor season for the Colts,  most predicted 7-9, even Irsay took note of that, and guess what?       We almost hit 7-9.

 

The media doesn't hate Indy, or Irsay,  or Luck,  or anything like that.....     The media likes a good story.   The media likes a story that gets people to pay attention.     Right now,  we're not a good story,  and no one is paying attention to us.      That's why Irsay is trying to hire someone like Gruden, a proven winner.

 

Winning cures EVERYTHING.    If we win,  the media will be back covering us.....    

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DougDew said:

So Wells is complaining that after they speculate about things rather than report them when they happen, the media will be blamed for speculating.

 

And we aren't supposed to notice that they're speculating, and just take their word for it, even when they're wrong.

 

Wow, these guys are really full of themselves.

 

You know, they're really not that important.  And they are trying to prove it.

 

The story about Irsay to Houston on his private plane?      That story didn't come from the media.

 

It came from a couple of private Colts fans who have some connections.      Somebody at that airport spotted Irsay's plane and contacted a friend and that person made a tweet.      But that wasn't the media.

 

I don't see where the media bashing is coming from? 

 

And the speculation that IS happening is because Irsay isn't talking.   Grigson isn't talking.     And Pagano isn't talking.      There's a vacuum and that leaves room for speculation.     Just like we're all doing right here on Colts.com

 

One thing that will help.......   pay less attention to Mike Wells.   (No relation to Brad Wells!)    I'm sure Mike is doing the best he can,  I just don't think he's a particularly sharp guy....

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Most of the media hates us in general, they blame us for DeflateGate which is beyond stupid. We weren't the team that cheated. If you notice since Deflategate the way our games are refereed are bad for the most part (get a big play, it's called back/Interference when there is none, I can go on and on) and we are 16-16 overall missing the Playoffs twice. Most on the NFL Network and most on ESPN bash us and picked us to go 6-10 this season as well. The team that is known for cheating = Pats - most of the media loves them, the team that is a small market and has always done things the right way and we won our SB fair and square without Ref help and cheating scandals - most of the media bashes on. Makes sense, rolls eyes!

 

- I put most in bold because not all of the media is included but about 90% of them are.

 

No

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Great!

 

You'll be the last to know.      That's always an interesting position for a fan to take.

 

 

 

Just because I'm not going to take what they say as anything solid, doesn't mean I won't know what's going on. So you go ahead and listen to every report and believe it. We have seen where that has gone this year. I don't understand why you even quoted me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only local media I trust even remotely is JMV. He has some really good sources over at 56th and gets it right more than wrong....he called Manning's neck issue in 2011 weeks before any other local reporter, same when the cut/divorce came in 2012. Same again with Sean Payton and now Manning and Gruden. And he's as neutral as possible, IMO. I'd trust him over anyone locally.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2017 at 7:56 AM, VocableLoki said:

I get this out of Doyle and Dakich the most locally. They are both impressively critical all the time.

Good grief , the media in Indy is so soft on the Colts it's not funny. That's why I laugh when I hear people complaining about them everytime they say anything even remotely critical of the team. I live fairly close to Chicago and Indy, and the scope teams like the Bears are under isnt even in the same galaxy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2017 at 8:56 AM, VocableLoki said:

I get this out of Doyle and Dakich the most locally. They are both impressively critical all the time.

I gave up on Dakich long ago.  He thinks he knows everything and is the only one who knows everything and that he's never wrong and as long as everyone agrees with him the world would,be wonderful and goes out of his way to belittle anyone who dares to have an opinion different than his own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I gave up on Dakich long ago.  He thinks he knows everything and is the only one who knows everything and that he's never wrong and as long as everyone agrees with him the world would,be wonderful and goes out of his way to belittle anyone who dares to have an opinion different than his own.

He acts just like a Chicago (where he's from ) NY style radio jockey. They usually pick a side or issue that they know is going to be controversial , ala Dakich saying Luck is overrated, and in the process get everybody to hate him. But the catch is that despite their feelings they have to listen to what he says next hence increasing ratings and job security. There are literally several just like him on Chicago radio right now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

He acts just like a Chicago (where he's from ) NY style radio jockey. They usually pick a side or issue that they know is going to be controversial , ala Dakich saying Luck is overrated, and in the process get everybody to hate him. But the catch is that despite their feelings they have to listen to what he says next hence increasing ratings and job security. There are literally several just like him on Chicago radio right now. 

I don't like people who think they are the only ones who know everything and be little people who dare to think differently than them.  

 

Just because thats how the media might act like in cities like Chicago or New York doesn't mean I have to like it here.  I find people who act like that to be jerks so I choose not to waste my time paying attention to them.  If you feel differently you are clearly more than welcome to listen to whomever you like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don't like people who think they are the only ones who know everything and be little people who dare to think differently than them.  

 

Just because thats how the media might act like in cities like Chicago or New York doesn't mean I have to like it here.  I find people who act like that to be jerks so I choose not to waste my time paying attention to them.  If you feel differently you are clearly more than welcome to listen to whomever you like.

I'm not saying I like or listen to them . I'm just saying don't take it personally because these guys are about ratings and they will say a lot of things they don't even believe to keep a high paying radio gig. It's all about the ratings. When Dan started the Luck thing I found it humorous because it sure sounded like that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

I'm not saying I like or listen to them . I'm just saying don't take it personally because these guys are about ratings and they will say a lot of things they don't even believe to keep a high paying radio gig. It's all about the ratings. When Dan started the Luck thing I found it humorous because it sure sounded like that. 

I don't take it personally.  I just don't like to listen to arrogant people belittle people who have a different opinion than them.  So I don't that's all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2017 at 5:55 PM, VocableLoki said:

Mike Wells phoned into JMV today and sounded more than a little frustrated with the current situation with the Colts is being handled. Last year it was practically a consensus that Pagano was going to get fired before he was brought back, and at the news conference, Irsay (and Pagano might have also) seemed to suggest that a lot of local media were the reason for the perceived rift between Grigson and Pagano. Wells' point today was that if it turns out that the "status quo" is still here next year, that the media will be blamed again for any kind of rumors created during the "suspicious silence" from Irsay. Given the weird way that national reporters seemingly have sources that the local guys are unwilling to back up and how all over the map everything is, could this end up damaging the relationship with local media? Granted I don't know if Irsay really cares all that much if every columnist likes him but it still can't be good image-wise to have this much varied press.

The problem is that the media and fans think their opinion is important.  There was no consensus among anybody who mattered.

 

And there is no consensus this year by anybody who matters.

 

Why do media think that their unsupported opinions are important.  The only thing that's important for the media to bring to the public is real news corroborated by two sources.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The problem is that the media and fans think their opinion is important.  There was no consensus among anybody who mattered.

 

And there is no consensus this year by anybody who matters.

 

Why do media think that their unsupported opinions are important.  The only thing that's important for the media to bring to the public is real news corroborated by two sources.

Dunno if they think they are important as much as it's their job to report.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The problem is that the media and fans think their opinion is important.  There was no consensus among anybody who mattered.

 

And there is no consensus this year by anybody who matters.

 

Why do media think that their unsupported opinions are important.  The only thing that's important for the media to bring to the public is real news corroborated by two sources.

They also tend to talk in a small circle amoungest themselves who all agree and then start to think their opinion is fact because EVERYONE feels that way.  

 

Thats is my problem with most of the print media covering this they are covering this more like disgruntled fans than like the media should IMO.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2017 at 0:31 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

Come on now.....   there's nothing to connect those dots with.     Irsay has quietly been trying to fix what he thinks is not working.     He's not going to fire Pagano until he can find someone who he is confident will be better.

 

He doesn't want to fire Pagano and hire someone who turns out to be worse.

 

Thinking that he's going to turn into his father who was pretty close to crazy is just frustration talking from you.

 

You know there's no truth to it.

 

Lighten up Francis. It's an observation, an analogy an opinion. It's pointing out all the frustrations from Jim and the more recent frictions with the local media and then the rumors of Jim out looking for new coaches and possibly GM (PM). 

 

Nowhere did i say he is rather Irsay frustrations and shutting out the media is just out of character for Jim and the local media has been a bit harsh of late towards jim, and deservingly so. All this, doesn't mean he is or will turn into his dad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • A number of websites have projected the size of the free agent contracts.    On PFF,  they will even show you their comparisons and the math used to make the final prediction for years and dollars.   BUT....   No where am I seeing anything that reflects the fact that teams are dealing with a lowered salary cap,  and they're all going to have roughly $15 million less to spend.    I don't see any predictions that reflect that world.    Seems counter-intuitive to me.    With all the talk we've all read about how the middle class players are going to bear the burden of smaller contracts,  I'm not seeing that anywhere in these predictions.     And frankly,  I don't understand it?   If you didn't know about how Covid has hurt the NFL,  you couldn't tell by the salary predictions anywhere.    To me,  it reads pretty much as business as usual.   So.....   is it just me?     Or has anyone else noticed this?     Your thoughts?  
    • Zierlein is always a good read.   And given he's tight with Ballard,  I always recommend that you read everything he says.   It's as close as we're going to get inside Ballard's head, other than hearing from CB ourselves.   Here, he lists 10 prospects, who, for a variety of reasons, he thinks they need a really good pro day to bump up their draft status.    On a personal note,  I was surprised to NOT see two of my Stanford kids on this list.    Neither Walker Little or Paulson Adebo are on his list.    Maybe he doesn't think either needs a great pro day.   But I'd disagree.    Frankly,  I think every player who opted out needs a very good pro day.    As good as they can make it.    The absence of the combine is seriously going to hurt a big number of kids.   Here's his article.    And it includes a hyper-link to the latest updated Pro Day Schedule.   Those get under way full speed this coming week.   https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-ten-prospects-who-could-use-a-pro-day-boost
    • Trade her in.   Every 3 - 4 years...... like a car. Make her think it was HER idea.
    • Imagine the players just running around in jocks with cups for their pants  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...