Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has Anyone Considered Peyton May Negotiate?

mouthofsouth

Irsay has been saying that they can push back the date if they want. It was on the ESPN bottom line this morning, and in an Indy Star column yesterday:

"While the deadline looms, Irsay indicated it could be pushed back if needed."

http://www.indystar....Peyton-decision

I started a thread about this last week when PFT released a story saying that the date can be moved after Florio talked to Kravitz and he said that it can't be moved. The sticking point is that NFL says yes it can, NFLPA says it can't. I read the CBA and think that it is ambiguous so I see how both sides are disagreeing (this is also a political move by both sides). That said, if PM and Irsay want to move the date, I believe it would be allowed. I will say Irsay has been hinting at this by dropping little comments like in yesterday's interview where he said something along the lines that we will keep talking up to early March and perhaps beyond. May be reading to much into it, but sounds like to me if PM is down to move it, Irsay would welcome it. That is a big if though....

Edited to include quote and link.

Larry, when Irsay said (in his interview yesterday), "that we will keep talking up to early March and perhaps beyond", it could mean one of several things:

1) Push the option exercise date back

2) Release Peyton to negotiate a new deal after,

3) Release Peyton, and talk about a non-playing role with the team later

4) something else entirely.

Unfortunately, the interviewer did not follow-up that comment with a more specific question for Irsay to clarify what he means.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay has been saying that they can push back the date if they want. It was on the ESPN bottom line this morning, and in an Indy Star column yesterday:

"While the deadline looms, Irsay indicated it could be pushed back if needed."

http://www.indystar....Peyton-decision

While the deadline looms, Irsay indicated it could be pushed back if needed. The new league year starts March 13, after which trades are allowed.

"Anything's possible if two parties choose to get together and do that," Irsay said. "I don't think that's something that's an impossibility by any stretch."

Horseman, thanks for this.

FireJim...thanks for all your research I really appreciate the insight you've brought to this board.

Presto...dude... 50 yards is a long long toss. I play(ed) drums, baseball and football could throw about 80mph and a 50 yard toss with accuracy is still a feat.

Wool...dm me this "source" lol.

While the deadline looms, Irsay indicated it could be pushed back if needed. The new league year starts March 13, after which trades are allowed.

"Anything's possible if two parties choose to get together and do that," Irsay said. "I don't think that's something that's an impossibility by any stretch."

Horseman, thanks for this.

FireJim...thanks for all your research I really appreciate the insight you've brought to this board.

Presto...dude... 50 yards is a long long toss. I play(ed) drums, baseball and football could throw about 80mph and a 50 yard toss with accuracy is still a feat.

Wool...dm me this "source" lol.

This could open up the possibility of trading Manning which if it doesnt kill our cap, would bring us a good return for losing him which I would be all in favor for.

This could open up the possibility of trading Manning which if it doesnt kill our cap, would bring us a good return for losing him which I would be all in favor for.

If the option exercise date is pushed back, and if you think there is a possibility of trading Peyton, you will need to find a team willing to accept the continuing terms of the current contract with Peyton, including that $28MM option bonus, now coming due at some later time.

Perhaps without bringing up the details, he saying release Manning(temporary) which would result in some dead cap, then resign him to a less risky contract...if he healthy enough anyway.

Larry, when Irsay said (in his interview yesterday), "that we will keep talking up to early March and perhaps beyond", it could mean one of several things:

1) Push the option exercise date back

2) Release Peyton to negotiate a new deal after,

3) Release Peyton, and talk about a non-playing role with the team later

4) something else entirely.

Unfortunately, the interviewer did not follow-up that comment with a more specific question for Irsay to clarify what he means.

Absolutely, it could mean all those things at this point in time and this is all nothing but speculation by me. I'm not claiming to know anything and will agree with whatever decision Irsay makes. I was just putting together the fact that the Star said he said it could be moved and then he is dropping hints about the process moving past March 8-12. I just don't think it is as done of a deal as Kravitz and ESPN are saying it is. I think Irsay respects Manning enough that if he really wanted Manning out of Indy, he would have cut him already. I'm not saying Manning won't be gone, but am saying Irsay wants to talk through and do all possible to work this thing out with PM.

This whole discussion is why I HATE unions! If there were no NFLPA and no CBA then this conversation would be a moot point, they could move the date back or restructure and PRESTO! No problems! But now we are going to have the endure more legal battles between the NFLPA and NFL and the Colts and all sorts of legal jargon going back and forth and blah blah blah!

Anyone wanna know why ticket prices are so high? Ask the NFLPA and their CBAs pushing player salaries through the roof.... which ultimately gets pushed back down to the ticket holders!

Ok, Sorry... I know thats a bit off topic... but all this Union nonsense going on with the Right to Work legislation just ticks me off! I work for a company that uses union workers and it is nothing but a HUGE pain in the butt!

Kuharsky just wrote, "The NFLPA tells me the first renegotiated (sic) of a contract can take place at any time. Then the second cannot happen within a year if it causes a salary increase over the first redo. So Manning's contract isn’t the big issue, actually." http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

Basically, now the NFL and NFLPA are saying the date can be moved. It also appears the $28 million can be restructured?

So, if PM isn't a Colt next year it has nothing to do with the current contract. It is because a) he had to retire, b) he didn't want to be here because of Luck/new staff and didn't want to lose leverage/money with the Colts, or c) Irsay didn't want him here because of Luck/new staff.

Kuharsky just wrote, "The NFLPA tells me the first renegotiated (sic) of a contract can take place at any time. Then the second cannot happen within a year if it causes a salary increase over the first redo. So Manning's contract isn’t the big issue, actually." http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

Basically, now the NFL and NFLPA are saying the date can be moved. It also appears the $28 million can be restructured?

So, if PM isn't a Colt next year it has nothing to do with the current contract. It is because a) he had to retire, b) he didn't want to be here because of Luck/new staff and didn't want to lose leverage/money with the Colts, or c) Irsay didn't want him here because of Luck/new staff.

Muy interesante.

Even though anything is possible, regardless of CBA/NFL guidelines, you are not permitted to suggest that Peyton and Irsay would even consider negotiating. If you don't say, with absolute certainty, that Manning is done forever, then you aren't accepting reality, thinking of what's best for the team, or willing to admit that Luck will win at least 3 Super Bowls because of how much hyp-- er, I mean, potential, he has. He is already better than Manning has ever been, and it's impossible for PM to be good enough to get us there with Luck waiting in tow. With Luck, we know we will win Super Bowls.

Ahhhh..... That felt good....

Manning, in an interview with ESPN's Trey Wingo, said that he and Irsay will discuss whether the Super Bowl-winning quarterback will remain with the Colts "at the appropriate time, and when we do, I think some decisions will be made after that. But until then I'm just continuing to rehab, work hard, and to enjoy this week because it really is a special week for the city and certainly for my family." Manning said that his recovery from spinal fusion surgery in September -- his third surgery in 19 months -- is going well despite the fact he didn't play last season. "I really feel good. I continue to make progress every day," he said. "Everything that the doctors have told me has been on point, which is encouraging to me. I just had a great day today with rehab, just got back from the facility, and that's what we continue to do. Just keep trying to get better. So far I have. That's the plan from here on out." Manning said that he'll continue to have checkups over the next several weeks, and termed his mood as "encouraging."
We already know this. You are so :offtopic:.. Lol :ignore:

Larry, you forgot one possibility:

d) PM and Irsay have a difference of opinion on how "healthy" his arm strength may be or will be.